Family and the Jedi...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Jedi Girl of Corellia, Oct 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Ok, this fic I'm working on right now has to deal with Obi-wan meeting his family. I know in the JA books it mentions that he got to visit them when he was still an initiate. Do you think this is a rugular practice? What do you think the Council's take on meeting with family is? I've been looking at as if the Jedi are now their family now and the only reason they let the initiate visit their family was to give the family a chance to see their relative again.

Does this make sense? Does anyone want to help out a bit more? Like how would a Jedi react if their family wanted to spend more time with him? How would his apprentice act?
  2. Alderaan_ Jedi Master

star 4
    Generally the Old Jedi consider the other Jedi as their family, although I could be wrong- I haven't read the JA's yet.
  3. Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus

star 6
    So would they just ignore the family they were taken from?

If you were a Jedi would you want to know your family or just stay anonymous to them?
  4. Alderaan_ Jedi Master

star 4
    that's one strange thing about the Jedi. they don't really seem to care about their families that much. It seems to me that the Masters are the "parents" (or in some cases "grandparents"), the apprentices are the "children," and Padawans and Knights around your age are like "siblings." At least that's how they act.

But they must have at least some respect for family because Obi-Wan visits his family in one of the JA books, and there are several other mentions of Jedi honoring their families.
  5. Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus

star 6
    So maybe when they let the Jedi child go visit his family it may be more for the emotional rest of the family? And more like a learning experiance for the Jedi? Maybe they let them be there just long enough to see their family, but not long enough to form a bond.
  6. Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I have thought about this & discussed this with other folks, and have never been able to get anyone to come to a clear consensus.

But here's my 2 credits worth, which everyone is free to disagree with...

When parents give up children to the Jedi Temple (I don't think Jedi "take" them, I think they have a choice), it is like turning them over to an adoptive family or a foster family.

The children are raised probably by small teams of caretakers, who, I imagine, must keep the same group for a period of ten years or so, in order to provide that particular group of initiates with a feeling of stability and permanence. I think there are many teams of child careworkers, since I wouldn't want any team to be responsible for a large group of kids, in order that the kids get plenty of one-on-one attention. Maybe 4-5 caretakers to each group of 10 kids?

(Note I'm talking humans here; children of other species/cultures who may have different cultural ways may be raised in a manner more consistent with that culture. Insectoid children, maybe, would be in more of a "hive" situation?")

Now the Jedi must know that not all kids will decide to become Jedi. So I imagine at a few points in their lives, once every few years, they send the kids home to their "real" families in order to give the kids a chance to learn about their own families and cultures, and to give them a chance to decide if they want to continue Jedi training or go back to their families. Of course, I bet most kids want to return to the Temple. But maybe there are some who would rather be with their families.

But in order to serve the galaxy, the Jedi must be unbiased, which means that they cannot have strong ties to one family or one planet. If you were a Jedi with family on Corellia, for example, called to negotiate a dispute between Corellia and Alderaan, having family or strong ties to Corellia could bias your view or lead to charges of favoritism. I think the Jedis' strongest bonds have to be to each other.

Your caretakers would be your "parents", the other children in your group would be your brothers and sisters. As you get older, and you are ready for more independence, you get a Master, who is more like a mentor/teacher, not so closely tied as a parent.

Children who form close family ties probably choose to leave the Jedi. Otherwise, the children would consider the Jedi as their adoptive or foster parents. Isn't it possible to love an adoptive parent, foster parent, or step parent as much as a blood parent? I firmly believe that sometimes family isn't what you're born to... it's who your heart choses. I have friends who are as close to me as blood sisters, who I would trust my life to.

So...that's my point of view, and you can agree or disagree. Unfortunately, George hasn't gone into details, so unless he comes forth in Eps II or III, we'll have to continue to speculate...
  7. Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Hmmm...

What do you think would happen if a Jedi Knight who had an apprentice and such suddenly met a family member he had not seen before, and that individual wanted to form a bond with the Jedi, do you suppose the Jedi wouldn't want to do this? Or do you think since he is old enough and already very dedicated to the Jedi he might just give in a hang out with the family member a bit, thinking that it would be Ok?
  8. Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I dunno; I'd say it would be up to the individual Knight/Padawan. Go for it, JGoC!
  9. Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Well I think I have what I need figured out. Hopefully...

Thank you guys!
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.