main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Family reunions

Discussion in 'Community' started by True Sith, Jul 28, 2016.

1. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Yea or nay? My family's comes up this weekend and I'm again doing the annual weighing of the pros and cons of going or not.

2. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I don't know, I've never met your family.

3. True Sith

May 10, 2015
    I meant in general. :p

4. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Go, but give us live updates on them, and complete control of your interactions

True Sith and Kerr_Plunk like this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I usually go to family reunions but my family is OK.

I have a friend who live tweets moments from his, and they usually involve some elderly uncle asking "Have you found Jesus yet?" or some such every few minutes, plus really bland old-people food.

I told him to respond with "Yes, he's hiding in the closet" and stash a hip flask.

6. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I know but it kind of depends on the family right? I'd probably not miss a reunion because my family reunions are usually us drinking and playing dice games.

But yeah I like Darth Punk's idea you should do that.

7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Am I right in thinking Family Reunions are a uniquely Murican thing?

8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    If you have to ask, then nay.

9. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Go see your mum. She's a sweet old lady. She needs to see her little boy once in a while. Make your mum happy.

She squeezed you out of her clacker, after all.

10. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Not necessarily. When I was a kid we had extended family reunions every two years or so (my Mum's side). Then there was a long phase of no reunions at all, and a couple of years ago my cousins and I have decided to revive the tradition - just us and our immediate families, though, so no old people. :p It's always a weekend with a lot of food and catching up. And a LOT of alcohol. :p

Diggy likes this.
  11. True Sith

May 10, 2015
    My family is all Canadian, so no, not uniquely an American thing.

12. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    That's what the holidays are for :p

13. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    When I was younger, my brother and I were forced to go to my father's side of the family for a reunions. They were in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do than talk with cousins and aunts you'd never met but who remember you when you were "just this high". It was the stereotypical family reunion, cheek pinching, overt racism and all.

My brother and I would devise plans to try and get kicked out of that part of the the family so we wouldn't have to ever go back. Sadly, it never worked.
    Thankfully, they don't happen anymore and I'm an adult so I wouldn't go anyway.

But if you like you family, it has the potential to be a chance to see people you don't normally see.