"Famous" Guest Stars in Your Game

Discussion in 'Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by dizfactor, Aug 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dizfactor Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Do the PCs in your game ever run into characters from the movies or EU sources? If so, who?

My current game began a few months prior to the Clone Wars and we are now about a month after the Battle of Geonosis. So far, the PCs (who are basically a crew of smugglers aligned with the Separatists) have:

* Developed a long-running feud with the Tarkin family, who have put a rather large price on their heads.
    * Tried to buy cortosis from Vilmarh Grahrk on Cloud City.
    * Met Calamari Council member (and future Admiral) Ackbar on Mon Calamari.
    * Attended a dinner party with Count Dooku, which was followed up by a private chat with the group's Force-Sensitive (a failed Jedi padawan of sorts) during which Dooku turned on the charm and started laying the groundwork for recruiting him later.
    * Entered into a long-term business deal with Rune Haako and Passel Argente. Argente in particular is becoming a major character.
    * Struck up a sort of friendship and informal alliance with Commander Merai.

Also, one of the players had to leave for the Phillipines for two months for work, so his character (a Mandalorian) was written out for a bit. The character off-camera acting as one of Spar's chief lieutenants, and is helping train his new Mandalorian Protectors, two wet-behind-the-ears new recruits named Fenn Shysa and Tobbi Dala.

Oh, and the Falleen crime lord character is the nephew of the Falleen Senator Zurros (the one whose topknot Quinlan Vos is going to cut off in a few months).

I have plans to introduce Finis Valorum in a major role soon, and I expect to see Assaj Ventress, General Grievous, Kh'aris Fenn and Booster Terrik make appearances also.

What about you?
  2. Darth_Laudrup Force Ghost

star 4
    That sure is a lot of Gueststars.:eek:

I haven't been running a game of star wars for a long time. My last game was set between episodes IV & V. The players were a group of fringe characters sympathetic to the Rebellion (an explorer, a muscle for hire Nikto, a former Bounty Hunter who wanted revenge against a star destroyer captain, a minor Bothan Jedi and a Mon Calamari technician). They were all wanted by the empire and besides a famous Rebel General or Admiral (I think it was Madine) who gave them an assignment and generally disliked the characters the only celebrities they met were a group of Bounty Hunters.

Especially one Bounty Hunters (Dengar) was a pain in the ass since he never gave up and it was impossible for the players to kill him due to some unbelieveable soak rolls (I just love WEG rules). On geonosis were the players had travelled to sell a couple of speeders that they had stolen, Dengar had allied himself with Bossk & Tyrn Jiton (I was trying to create a sort of Homage to The Good, The Bad & The Ugly).

3. Jedi_Matt Force Ghost

star 4
    the game i'm involved with at the moment as had some appearances from famous people. It's a campaign that began about 6 months into the clone wars (chars at level 5 i think) and now we're generally on the cusp of level 10. Just over half the party are Jedi, so we often see Mace and Yoda. While on one mission before i got involved in the game, the party met up with the guy from shatterpoint that Mace teamed up with. Can't remember his name now :_|
  4. Nktalloth Jedi Knight

star 1
    No, of course not.

Whenever we even consider bringing a "Guest Star" in, it feels like laziness and like plagiarism. There are occassional referances to them, we acknowledge they exist, but we make our own NPC's for games, with their own motives and their own stories because it's easier to figure out their actions and because our players enjoy making their own stories, not being a minor part of an allready played-out series.
  5. Jedi Merkurian Episode VII Thread-Reaper and Rumor Naysayer

Manager
    star 6
    When I ran an "Infinities" Rebellion-era campaign (in which there was NO Luke or Leia) The Heroes:

*Prevented a young boy named Gantoris from being captured by Imperial Inquisitors
    *Studied (briefly) under Master A'Sharad Hett on Tatooine, before he was killed by an Inquisitor
    *Kidnapped Grand Moff Tarkin's personal servant, a Mon Cal named Ackbar
    *Got advanced training on Dagobah from Master Windu. I was inspired by this picture:
    [image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7d/Cavemans_valentine.jpg]

Currently I'm running a New Republic campaign, dubbed "How I Thought It Should've Gone Post-RotJ" that's littered with EU references. Luke immediately trained Leia after RotJ, with none of this "holding myself back" felgercarb. They together founded the Praxeum on Yavin IV and re-started the Jedi Council. Therefore, there has been some RP sessions involving lessons from Master Skywalker and Master Organa-Solo.

Last night we wrapped up a session that had the following plotline: The Moff of a particular planet asked to defect to the Republic, and asked for Jedi protection. During the extraction attempt, the Moff was kidnapped and taken to a Dark Jedi. The planet was once one of Darth Ruin's many private retreats, and the Dark Jedi was seeking lost lore, suspecting that the Moff knew the location of the Sith temple.

Upon locating the temple and rescuing the Moff, the heroes contacted the Jedi Council. As it turns out, the Jedi expected a trap, so they had a "rescue team" nearby ready to jump in-system. The team consisted of Master Skywalker and his apprentices Kyp Durron & Chiido*, Dorsk 81 and his apprentice Moira Na*, and another Master/Padawan pairing (a Twi'lek & a Miraluka)

Further complicating matters was that the planet was invaded by Grand Admiral Il-Raz and his Nagai allies at the behest of a mysterious benefactor (who will be revealed as Asajj Ventress)

I like sprinking EU references both obvious & obscure throughout the storyline, but I've also changed a few facts in order to keep them on their toes. For example, Kyp never had a close brush with the dark side and was discovered and trained at a much younger age than in the JAT, Grand Admiral Il-Raz never committed suicide, and when Ventress fled to the Unknown Regions near the close of the Clone Wars, she ended up on Nagai space (whom I said are in the UR instead of a dwarf galaxy)

*Bonus points for whoever knows who they are :-B
  6. Jedi_Matt Force Ghost

star 4
    oh, in terms of continuity flubs, Jabba the Hutt was shot in the face, our soldier/elite trooper got a crit i think, or with 2 attacks, multifire/autofire, he vaped his VP and WP in one full attack.

The same guy also vaped Asajj Ventress in the first or second round of combat.

Also, they took out a Krayt Dragon, and that very krayt dragon's skeleton could be the one 3po walks past, in theory ;)
  7. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    We have famous guest stars from time to time, just to further involve the adventures with the canon events of the GFFA. But we try to keep their roles more towards scenery or very secondary characters in the adventure. The closest relation we've had is with Booster Terrik, who hired the group to do some mission for him (I tell you, the Errant Venture is GREAT for rpging). Mirax went in one such missions. One of my players accdentaly chopped off Platt O'keefe's hand with his lightsaber, and the other player eventually fell in love with her. That's as important as guest starts got in our adventures, but as background characters they are more commmon, like Leia giving a medal, Nawara Ven being one's defense lawyer, nearly killing Borsk Fey'lya in a sabotaged accident, etc...
  8. Darth_Laudrup Force Ghost

star 4
    I myself am working on a "how I think post-ROTJ should be" campaign, and I plan on including the occational guest star like Mon mothma or perhaps the leader of the new Jedi Order Luke Skywalker (like the old Jedi Order) based on Corruscant.

btw. Sarth. How is the ROTS Galaxy Guide comming along?
  9. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    Hehe, the Nr1 question...

It's coming along slowly but surely. Last college semester takes a toll on you, so we'll all have to be patient....
  10. Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    The only guest stars in the immediate future are Nym, from Galaxies and the Starfighter-series, and possibly Count Dooku.
  11. Jacen-Qel-Droma Jedi Knight

Commander Airen Cracken and,I am sorry,Luke Skywalker.I will never ever introduce him again in any of my campaings.
    I have to say that it was 13 years ago,I mean,before prequels and all the new stuff.
    Never allow force sensitives characters meet him!!!!!!
  12. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    Wow... what did you do with Luke in your game to develop such a trauma?

I had one of my FS players meet Luke and it didn`t create any problems....
  13. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    Ah, Platt O'Keefe - why she's forgotten, I have no idea... :(

Merk - why Yavin IV? It's hugely isolated from everywhere which makes it nigh on useless when trying to dispacth emergency teams, I suspect Anderson only used it because it appeared in the films.

E_S
  14. Jedi Merkurian Episode VII Thread-Reaper and Rumor Naysayer

Manager
    star 6
    I liked that it was someplace remote and full of life. Plus, since it was the former "wildlife preserve" for the Dark Lord of the Sith, it makes for a *fabulous* training ground.

In my campaign, things went similar to the JAT with a few notable exceptions: Luke and Leia were Master and new Knight when they set up the Academy, so while Exar Kun had a few laughs, it wasn't nearly as devastating as KJA wrote it. That, and no Sun Crusher; the Death Star was the end-all and be-all of super-duper weapons in my game.

Anyways, the Praxeum at Yavin IV is the seat of the Jedi Council, and under their auspices the greater manifestations of the dark side have been eradicated. All that remains is "clean-up work," which doubles as training for the apprentices.

In my game, if Master Skywalker has his druthers -and he will- the Temple at Coruscant (which is still in Imperial hands) will be at best yet another training facility, and not the center of the Order. Too many close associations with government. In my campaign, the Jedi Order is a neutral body, unaffiliated with any government, though individual members are not prohibited from serving in some official capacity or another...say...as an Alliance military officer, for example.

Eventually, Leia will run the Temple/Library at Coruscant, Tionne will run the reclamation efforts at Ossus, and Luke will remain at Yavin. I haven't decided if the Council will remain on Yavin or relocate to Ossus.
  15. inkpenavenger Jedi Knight

star 1
    Sometimes i like to throw my PCs into the established storyline. I've run several mini-campaigns wherein the PCs had the potential to change the course of galactic history. (Preventing Anakin's fall, uncovering Sidious before it was too late, rescuing Jedi from clone ambushes) Sometimes I like to put them in the same place at the same time as major events (the PCs are chilling in a cantina on Tatooine when some old nutter chops off an Aquilish's arm with a lightsaber, a PC meets with a contact outside a Courscant opera hall and a young Jedi on his way to meet with the Supreme Chancellor walks by)

My players always found it cool to be involved in or at least close to major events in galactic history.
  16. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    Merk -- weren't those some of Luke's ORIGINAL students from Marvel?
  17. JudroBathens Jedi Knight

star 1
    I've been running a prequel-era game for years now (we've gone from pre-TPM up to post-ROTS by now), and I've had vast numbers of cameos from established characters. Being a very Jedi-centric campaign, there've been many occasions wherein players have gone before the Jedi council; the Jedi characters also fought on Geonosis (conveniently out of range of the cameras, no doubt). Count Dooku showed up a time or two--he had been established in one character's backstory as a former tutor of lightsaber combat (prior to leaving the Order) and later tried to lure that character to the dark side. On occasion, the characters briefly met with then-Chancellor Palpatine (another character in the group having served for a time in the Senate) and several prominent Senators. Bail Organa has also been established as a distant relative of that particular character (the Senator).

The cameos have been coming hot and heavy of late: we're in the post-ROTS timeframe, and the Jedi characters (having survived Order 66) have attracted the attentions of Vader and the Emperor. There was even a brief lightsaber duel between Vader and one of the Jedi, which was cut short when another character zapped Vader with her ship's ion cannon (at which point I decided that Vader was debilitated by all his cybernetics being fried, so the troopers of the 501st evacuated him--presumably resulting in a repeat of the end of ROTS, as Vader basically had to be reconstructed all over again).

The group also briefly stopped over on Naboo, meeting Sio Bibble and Queen Apailana. They were present as the 501st blasted the Queen and her other Jedi allies, and narrowly escaped the Imperial takeover. (I freely admit that I was feeling lazy that week, and since the players obligingly headed for Naboo of their own volition, I happily dropped them into a level from Battlefront II rather than spending time coming up with an original idea.)

On a side note, the 501st has becoming a recurring opposing force for the players--sensible, since Vader is hunting them down. I've had great fun working up beefier stats for 501st Stormtroopers (they being hardened veterans of the Clone Wars and all)... it's fun to see my players yawning at the idea of 'Stormtroopers again' and then seeing the boredom turn to horror as they realize just how hard these 501st blokes are.

As of right now, the Emperor himself is trying to lure the characters into coming to him (obviously intending to either turn them or destroy them)...
  18. Jacen-Qel-Droma Jedi Knight

They were meant to be Jedi aprentices without master in the Rise Of The Empire era and started to make lightsabre practices in Hoth´s hangar with Luke staring at them.
    I know it doesn´t look so important, but my players were starting to go funny on the situation.You know saying funny things such "I know who your father is,hu,hu" and so on.It wasn´t what they did,but what they could have done...
    That day I determined no more guest stars.But it was 7 or 8 years ago.Now maybe I´d introduce anyone again.
  19. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yoda made an appearance.
    Pre prequel campaign (1994). One of the party was force-sensative. They were tracking down the senior deciple of a mandalorian who was recruiting from the University of Alderan. One of the mandalorian's other students was helping them. Yoda took the student on as an apprentice. The party-member had to grin & bear it.

Captain Governor JeJerrod was trying to blackmail the senior admiral into getting him a cushier new assignment. Jejerrod was promised one, along with the promotion to Moff (though he was going to have to relocate to a moon orbiting Endor, it was a highly prestigious career posting...)

R5-D4 blew a motivator when the party bought an R4 model instead of him at a used droid lot.

Party rescued Grand Moff Tarkin's pet, Admiral Ackbar, from the ISD Avenger's detention block.

Party was witness to Salacious Crumb's antics at Quenn Space station and Jabba's adoption of Crumb.

During "Tatooine Manhunt", one of the party traded information on Han Solo to some of the bounty hunters in exchange for information on the person they were looking for. "He'll be at the Spotted Bith cantina on Ord Mantel in 2 weeks at 3pm local time."
  20. Jedi Merkurian Episode VII Thread-Reaper and Rumor Naysayer

Manager
    star 6
    Half-right. I acutally mis-remembered the name of one guy though. The guy I thought was Chiido is actually
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/1/1e/MARVEL_SERIES_KIRO.jpg]
    Kiro of Iskalon is from the Marvel series

[image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/6/6e/Noirahana1.jpg]
    Noirah Na (either wookiepedia has her name wrong or I'm going senile) is from the 2-part arc from Dark Horse set in the aftermath of Order 66. In my campaign, Luke went ahead and trained Kiro, and Na was persuaded by Master Skywalker to complete her training after years of being in hiding.

As a couple of "behind the scenes" cameos, the PCs' Master (human Scoundrel 2/Jedi Guardian 4/Jedi Investigator 3) studied briefly under Masters Kai Hudorra and Das Jennir before they were killed by Lord Vader on New Plympto.

21. whiskers Force Ghost

star 4
    I kept thinking that I've never really had any since my only big games to date have been either an NJO Jedi game and an AU game where the players are the canon characters themselves. But then I remembered a very shortlived online game that took place in the early days of the Rebellion. That's were I got this gem.

A PC pilot on his first day got involved in a pilot's lounge-based Sabacc game against Garven Dreis, Wedge Antilles, Keyan Farlander, and Ru Murleen. Surprisingly enough, Ru kept winning the majority of the games, and I don't think the PC won one at all.
  22. Darth_Kuthuus Jedi Knight

star 1
    I set my game up JA-style, and the PC's are going to get their missions from Mas Amedda (It starts a week or two before the Battle of Geonosis.) The only other "special guests" are the Jedi council members (Mace in particular.) Adi Gallia (the Jedi PC's master.) and Dooku (on Geonosis.)
  23. Incoming_Ties Jedi Padawan

I am currently working on an Imperial Campaing where the players will be trained as some of the first Storm Commandos, so naturaly Crix "The Beard" Madine will be around in grey uniform trainig them, but will leave a short time later after graduation.

I will probably throw in some high ranking Imperial giving out missions from time to time... just for kicks.
  24. Jedi Merkurian Episode VII Thread-Reaper and Rumor Naysayer

Manager
    star 6
    Tonight's session will be chock full o' guest stars. One of the PCs is going to partake in the effect of one of Master Skywalker's policies: he always has a Padawan as a temporary member of the Jedi Council. Sometimes it's only for a single session, sometimes longer, but the only prerequisite is that the Padawan have the Sense feat, "trust your feelings" and all. He started doing this because of (A) his lessons from Yoda extolling the virtues of a "beginner's mind," and (B) to both instill confidence in apprentices and weed out arrogance & complacency in the Council members. The other members of the Jedi Council are:

Luke Skywalker, Grand Master of the Order
    Leia Organa-Solo, liason to the Alliance of Free Planets
    Teris Kel, Head of Intelligence (a PC from a previous campaign, now the current PCs' Master)
    Tionne, Master of the Archives
    Kyle Katarn, combat instructor
    Kam Solusar
    Cilghal
    Streen
    Dorsk 81
    Corran Horn
    Lyn-Me Oolas (another PC from a previous campaign)

Part of the Council session will include a report from Master Organa-Solo pertaining to ongoing diplomatic efforts with the Hapes Consortium, who are under attack from Warlord Zsinj. The PCs will be sent to investigate why Keyan Farlander has gone missing.
  25. Jedi Merkurian Episode VII Thread-Reaper and Rumor Naysayer

Manager
    star 6
    From last night's session:

"The Mandalorian's seem to have a lot of hostility towards the Jedi Order. Because of this, my attempts to learn more about them have lead to a lot of Mandalorian casualties."
    -Kyle Katarn
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.