main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Fan Art Class: Version 4.0 (Current Assignment: Coming Soon!)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , Jan 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Artoo_

_Artoo_ Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2005
    Hee, Rocie, I never noticed how like yin-yang symbols they looked XD It?s just a style thing I guess, though it?s really obvious in the Anakin.

And TroubledAnakin, that?s a very nice rendering, I really like the eyes :)

2. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Thanks for giving it a go, TroubledAnakin! This is getting a better turn out than what I intially thought. Keep up the great work everyone! :D

Next critique up tonight. I'm on my lunch break at the moment so I won't have time to write one up till after class is over.

3. alexier

alexier Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2004
    Here is my sisters (Zelda) version of Padme, she drew three because she was having serious problems with eyes and face shapes, however I do think her No. 3 half faced padme looked like it was on the right track, at least it doesn't look like a clone wars drawing!

alex

http://uk.msnusers.com/alsphoto/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=6

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Next up on the critique list is alexier.

Here is alexier's drawing of Anakin again for reference:

Anakin

Nice drawing overall. The proportions looks correct for the most part. The only thing I'm gonna point out is that the ears look a little too high. Remember, the top of the ears should be in line with the eyes and the bottom, with the tip of the nose. Other than that, the positioning looks correct.

I saw the note on the drawing that you didn't think you did the eyes too well. The key to doing eyes is not to draw a general almond shape every single time. The sizes and shapes of people's eyes vary. Try to draw the shape you see and not draw what you think is right. Another thing that helps to bring the eyes to life is shading. Adding some dramatic shading to the colored part of the eye helps to give them depth and "life." But overall, I think the drawing could use a lot more shading. This will help give it a rounded and realistic feel. :)

Now for your sister's drawing:

Anakin

Thanks for participating! The first thing I'm gonna point out right away is the proportions. I don't know if you saw it in the initial post, but I would suggest checking out the diagram outlining the proportions of the head. This will help to get things straightened out for you. With that said, I'm gonna go one by one and point out the things that seem odd or not in the right placement. First of all, the eyes. The eyes are too large and overtaking the width of the face. There's not really enough space on the "sides" of the face. Try to shrink them down a bit. Also, the nose is too long and this ties into the rest of your problems. With the nose being too long, this throws off the placement of the mouth and as a result of trying to fit it in there, there isn't enough chin space. Shorten the nose and this should also pull up the placement of the mouth and give you enough chin. And just one more thing I'm gonna be anal about - the neck is too skinny and too long. But don't fret. This may have sounded a bit harsh at first, but in the long run, it'll improve your drawings. That's what the main goal of this thread is. Hope to see you back for the next lesson. :)

And finally, alexier's 8 year old nephew's rendition of Anakin:

Anakin

Aww, I'm really glad to see kids taking their hand at this as well. That's a nice drawing of Anakin for his age. He really has the potential to be a great artist someday! :)

Once again, thanks for participating! :D

5. Rocie

Rocie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2003
    *patiently waiting to read critique of my Anakin and Padme*

6. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    I took a stab at the Padmé picture because I think this is a great thread idea and I want to support it. And I knew it would be a good exercise for me because I'm not as adept at drawing faces straight on as I am with partial or whole profiles.

I ended up drawing her twice. The first is just a pencil drawing (which looks like it has broad features, but I think it might be partially because there's little to no shading in it yet) and the second I colored in with pencils. (And not very well, mind you. [face_mischief] )

Padmé

I really should try the Anakin picture. I don't think I've ever tried drawing him before....anyway, thanks HS29 for taking the time to do this thread. :)

7. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Looks great, Obi-Dawn! Thanks for taking the time to give it a try! :)

And now the moment you've been waiting for: you're up, [b]Rocie[/b]. :)

For your reference, here is Rocie's drawings of both Anakin and Padme:

[link=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/MarnaVeign/Fan%20Art%20Class/Padme1.jpg]Padme[/link]

[link=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/MarnaVeign/Fan%20Art%20Class/Anakin1.jpg]Anakin[/link]

First, is your Padme drawing. You are definitely getting better at portraits. I think you're starting to get a good understanding of the general proportions and shapes and now I think it's time to work on fine-tuning. ;) As for this current drawing, the proportions all look pretty well in line except for the chin. It's too large and pointy - it has a Jay Leno effect to it. :p Overall, it's an easy fix, though. ;)

I mentioned above about fine-tuning. This includes starting to get people's likenesses etc. As it stands right now, you have an overall good start or working on the likeness, but you're not quite there. Not really much I can tell you right now on working on this except just to really study your subject before hand and to look closely at the shapes of the eyes, nose and mouth. These features vary from person to person and instead of just drawing generic shapes for these features, I think it's time to draw what you see. You'll start to see the likenesses taking shape. ;)

Now for Anakin - I think this one looks better proportion - wise. The relationships between the top of the head to the chin looks correct and everything seems placed okay. One minor thing with this one is that his head is leaning to the right just a tad. This could be due to drawing the circle crooked and that's understandable. Tis very hard to draw perfect circles. ;) Other than that, I'm just going to point out the same things about fine-tuning it like I said for your Padme one. Just start to really study your subject matter and to get the likenesses down. :)

8. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Yeah, I noticed yesturday that the chin was a bit big. Haven't fixed it yet, but I'll likely post it again when I do.

I'm glad to hear that I'm getting better. Not as good as Obi-Dawn, but improving. :D

Good to see you here, too, Obi-Dawn. ;)

<EDIT> I fixed Padme, but she looks a little like she has a swollen jaw or something. I'm going to work on her a bit more to see if I can get her looking better.

As for Anakin, well, he's tilting his head to one side. :p ;)

9. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks HS29. :)

Rocie, (hi!) I just wanted to comment on your Padmé drawing for a moment. It's apparent to me that you are starting to notice the small things. Like the way her left eyebrow is much more angled than her right. Or how her left ear is higher up on the page than her right one. I think that really illustrates your improving talent! You are starting to see/study your subject a bit more and I just wanted to applaud you for that. =D=
    Like HS29 said, it's time to start drawing what you see. I think you are on your way. :)

10. LordNeo

LordNeo Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2004
    well I didnt draw Ani or padme but I drew Grievous!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/lordneo/MyGrievous.bmp

11. Jediloren

Jediloren Jedi Youngling star 2

May 30, 2002
    Great Drawing Obe-Dawn! I'd say it was a perfect likeness.

12. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Great advice, Obi-Dawn! Thanks for sharing! :D

LordNeo, although that is a fantastic drawing of Grievous, I would like to keep this thread strictly of drawings related to the current assignment. :)

Look for the next critique tomorrow afternoon or tomorrow evening. ;)

13. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Okay, I know I fell behind on this thread but this particular assignment has passed. I will be wrapping up the last of the critques and posting up a new assignment for the next 2 week period.

14. LordNeo

May 13, 2004
    please do sometihng with Grievous :D

15. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Wow!! Art Class! I haven't had one of these for ages (...we won't discuss how many ages... ;) )! I commend our mod for starting this up, and I'm hoping that I'll be able to participate (DRL, still hammering...). What great efforts so far, with the "assignments"--Rocie, your work is really coming along! And I just have to gush over ObiDawn's Padme...Wow. Great work everyone--it's so good to see! :D

FF

16. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Grievous, hmm? Well, I'll see what I can do. ;)

17. Zedd-Vega

Zedd-Vega Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 2003
    When's the next assignment! I'd love to try this! All types of artwork is appreciated here correct? as long as it pertains to the subject?

18. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I'm currently coming up with a new assignment. It should be posted soon.

And yes, all types of mediums are accepted as long as it pertains to the assignment. :)

19. BountyHunterX123

BountyHunterX123 Jedi Youngling

Feb 1, 2005
    Wow! Didn't see this thread! I'll be joining in on the next lesson!

20. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Next assignment is up! :)

Thanks again, odj for hooking me up with images! ;)

21. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    I'm not participating in this (no scanner :( ) but I would like to say thanks to HanSolo29 for posting that image of Grevious, for I've been looking for it for over a week.

Oh, and good job everyone! :)

22. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Well, I've been working on that droideka since I noticed the new assignment. All I can say about this is I don't think I'll have both of the pics done on time with this one. ;)

Working hard on it on breaks, though. Printed the pics so I can still work on it at work. :D

23. LordNeo

May 13, 2004
    yay Grievous!!!

Ill do my best to draw this in time

24. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Well, if everyone's having problems completing this assignment on time, maybe we can extend the deadline for an extra week. We'll see where we are when the 15th gets closer. :)

25. Esira

Esira Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    Wow I love this thread!

I had a go at the Droideka and the detail on it nearly killed me!

I'm working on Grievous now but in the mean time here is my attempt at the Droideka:

Droideka

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.