main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Fan Art Class: Version 4.0 (Current Assignment: Coming Soon!)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , Jan 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocie

Rocie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2003
    Okay, when I get home, I'll scan and post the slightly shaded one in. :p

It's not as shaded as other's but I'm not as confident with it yet. :)

<edit> so it's a couple weeks later. I did add it to the post that I posted the origional one. I had to update the link anyway because I moved the pic. ;)

2. corellian_chic242

corellian_chic242 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 17, 2003
    I really like this idea. I'll be working on these assignments, but my host (Elfwood) takes too long to get things up for me to get things in on time....

Thanks for this class. I'll follow along on an individual basis. :)

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Before I start to consider the new assignment does anyone want an extension on the current one? I realize that this particular subject takes a lot of time and to accomadate anyone who is still working on this assignment, I was thinking about extending it for another week. Thoughts?

4. bountyhunterx

bountyhunterx Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2005
    My scanner broke... :( I'll have it working for the next one. Mine were pretty bad compared to some of the others here anyways, and yes, I know this isn't a competition. I'm just reassuring you that you weren't missing anything big... LOL

5. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    HanSolo29 posted on 2/15/05 2:48pm
    Before I start to consider the new assignment does anyone want an extension on the current one? I realize that this particular subject takes a lot of time and to accomadate anyone who is still working on this assignment, I was thinking about extending it for another week. Thoughts?
    [hr][/blockquote]

I'm waiting for the next one to come along, those current two are way to complicated for me. :p

6. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I'm waiting for the next one to come along, those current two are way to complicated for me.

Yea, I realized that after posting it and seeing how everyone was struggling. My bad. [face_blush]

But that's what I wanted to know. If more people feel like this, then I'll just move onto the next. ;)

7. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    HanSolo29 posted on 2/15/05 6:14pm
    [i]I'm waiting for the next one to come along, those current two are way to complicated for me.[/i]

Yea, I realized that after posting it and seeing how everyone was struggling. My bad. [face_blush]

But that's what I wanted to know. If more people feel like this, then I'll just move onto the next. [face_wink]
    [hr][/blockquote]

..... ah well no ones posting any different, move onto the next. :p

8. Jediloren

Jediloren Jedi Youngling star 2

May 30, 2002
    With all due respect, You might as well move on to the next assignment Hansolo29. I am no artist, but I do know when a drawing is very difficult to do and you thew two hard ones at these buding artists that are very good. But only professionals should be able to duplicate these pictures without a very extensive amount of time to accomplish the task, because of there is more detail involved in these prictures than in any picture where you are only drawing a real persons Face.

I applaud the efforts of all who have tried these pictures out. They are very difficult to reproduce. Rocie(destroyer droid), Esira(who did both), Artoo(Grievous), and Falcon fan (Destroyer doriod). You people have done wonders and better than I expcected.

Please do not take this as anything besides a compliment to those in this thread or the teacher("hansolo29"), becaues I have known a professional artist who would not expect any of you to do as good as you have done. These drawerings are exceptional.

9. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    I just wanted to pipe up and say a couple of things. First of all, I'm not going to even attempt the other pic. I say let's just move on. But then again, I've completed the droideka as much as I'm going to. Re-post still upcoming.

Also...That was a toughy, as Jediloren said. I'm rather glad that he isn't one to try, because I know that young Tori can draw better than his daddy. ;) :D

I will also vouch for Jediloren that he didn't mean his post to be offensive in any way, but rather a "couldn't you have done these pictures later and given an easier assignment for #2" and a "great job everyone who actually did it!" ;)

I just wanted to make sure that everyone understands that JL is really complementing us all in our (sometimes meager) attempts. He's non-creative, blunt, and logical. Sort of the antithesis of me. ;) Which, I think, is why I married him. He is very direct, and so it happens often that people misunderstand what he means.

Anyway...back to the art. :D JL wants to see more pictures we draw. (he always hangs out looking over the threads I do, and he loves this art class thread.) Such variety in how the end results for the same picture look. Like Ying-yang eyes Anakin. I still love that one. :D

10. _Artoo_

_Artoo_ Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2005
    I agree, we should move on, I?m definitely not going to attempt the droideka (I?m far too lazy XD).

But I do think that this was a good idea on HS29?s part. It can only have made us improve. I mean, would any of us even have attempted those pictures if it weren?t for this thread? And I always enjoy a challenge anyway :)

And thanks Rocie, ying yang eyes :p

11. corellian_chic242

Feb 17, 2003
    I vote moving on. Droideka is a little advanced for me....

And people in "fluid" motion poses would be an interesting assignment. (My figures are always static....)

12. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    I would like to thank our mod (Instructor...? :D ) for giving this last assignment--yes, it was very difficult (whew!), but challenging ourselves to do things we might not ordinarily do is a sure way to stretch our current skills, and to grow as artists. I, personally, had a rough time with the droideka--but getting it done has given me hope that I might be able to manage a portrait of our favorite protocol droid, C3PO, someday! Before this, I would have said it would be too hard! I have to point to Rocie's drawing to support my point: it's freakin' amazing! What a tremendous leap the skills took on just this drawing alone: attention to details, proportion (better than mine), lines and accuracy...amazing! Everyone who even tried it would have to admit that, though tough, it was a good exercise in skill-building--I know it was for me! :D So--done now with "preaching!"--my most sincere congratulations to those that had a go at either (or both--Esira! ;) ), and to our mod--please may we move on?! ;)

FF

13. Esira

Esira Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    I agree with what everyone said above, probably best to move on. Plus, you can always go back and do something similar later!

I'd like to say wow, to _Artoo_ and FalconFan, cuz that was my emidiate reaction on veiwing their pics of GG and the droidekka. Very, very impressive stuff :D

I look foreward to seeing what the next assignment is!

14. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Well, the people have spoken. I'm currently working on the new assignment now.

As for the subject, it will be along the lines of what corellian_chic said(you must have been reading my mind :p ). I promise this assignment will be a lot easier than the last. I apologize once again for throwing this on you guys. I didn't realize how hard it was still I saw how you were struggling. [face_blush]

15. corellian_chic242

Feb 17, 2003
    I'm amazing like that. :D

I didn't try the droidieka, but I'm done with the on-paper portion of Grievous, and am rather proud of my success. However, I remember drawing one of those suckers in the past, and I cried. ;)

16. gatodama

gatodama LFL Artist star 3 VIP

May 17, 2002
    Moving right along....[image=http://www.millenniumfalcon.com/phpbb/images/smiles/mf_emoticon_psychoticbacca.gif]...

man....that gif is big!!!!! :eek:

17. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    LOL!! Love the "Chewie Boogie," gatodama!! [face_laugh] And corellian_chic242--let's see your Grievous (and I, too, can use some practice with figure drawing!)! ;)

FF

18. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    :eek: OMG! That dancing Chewie is too funny! I love it! :D

As for the new assignment, it's still being put together, but look for it soon. :)

19. corellian_chic242

Feb 17, 2003
    Wish I could, FF, but I don't have a host site.... :( I might try and get it on my dad's site for long enough for y'all to see it. Or maybe it'll get on Elfwood soon enough to show y'all. :D

20. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Well, I've been wondering about that dancing wookie all day, and I'm home so I'm checking it out.

It's a shame not to have any way of posting things, Cece. I'm sure it's good. :D

I'll shut up now because as soon as this wookie shows up for me, it's date night with the love of my life.

21. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Before I go ahead with the critiques, I just want to say the new assignment is up. :)

Next up on the critique list: [b]TroubledAnakin[/b].

This is from the first assingment with Anakin and Padme. Anakin chose to draw his own rendition of Anakin which can be found here:

[link=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/Liikuma/anakinsketch.jpg][color=blue][b]Anakin[/color][/b][/link]

Very nice attempt at the first assignment. You went way over the expectations here and put in all the necessary shading, finishing the drawing. Just taking a glance at your drawing, it appears that the proportions are correct. I don't really see any problems there.

The shading in itself is also a nice touch. You have a wide variety of tones which helps the picture pop out. I also admire you for just using the pencil for shading and not using another device(your finger, one of those paper stick - forget the name :p ). Usually just using a pencil creates a grainy effect to a drawing and in the end, it can appear quite sloppy. That is not present in yours, however. It looks fairly nice with that style of shading.

The only thing I am going to comment on that may need some work is the likeness. You have a good start here in this area, but it needs something more. I know capturing a likness can be hard, but after some time, you can eventually get it.

Overall, very nice drawing! Good job! :)

22. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Ooo--another Han picture to try! :) This is an excellent assignment (even tho I'm not that good at figures... ;) )--a good challenge once again! I might take a hack at Obi Wan this time, too--we'll see how tough it proves to be!

FF

23. corellian_chic242

Feb 17, 2003
    Ooh. I like these assignments. :) I'm excited about Chewie and Han; I have a hard time with hairy stuff, though....

24. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Ah. The next assignment. I'll have to print them out when I get home and start working on them.

Unless Jediloren wants them to be printed before I get home from work. :D *hint, hint* :D (so long as he reads this before I DO get home)

25. gatodama

gatodama LFL Artist star 3 VIP

May 17, 2002
    I have lost my dancing wookiee....anybody seen him?

the new assignment looks fun...you have my main jedi in there this time.....I guess that is why I ended up with more obi wan sketch cards than anyone else....it is the beard, has to be the beard ;)

I like these assignments....there is always room for imporvement.

on a side note, did MF.com go under again? i had no computer this weekend, major system falier :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.