Fan Documentary: Seeking Suggestions & Opinions

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DBrennan3333, Oct 23, 2011.

Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. DBrennan3333 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    A couple of years ago, I made this documentary kind of about the politics of the PT called 'Star Wars & False Flag Terror'. I'm now going to be re-editing it in HD and adding in some 3D effects. I've created a list of small changes I'm going to make, but I'd be very happy if anybody could offer suggestions on other additions (or subtractions) to make to it.

I'll be using Blender to do the editing this time, and also to create the graphics.
  2. AdamBertocci Manager

Manager
    star 7
    - Use the Franklin Gothic or Univers font up top to better mimic the "a long time ago" text.
    - This is a personal pet peeve of mine in all movie-related documentaries, but I'd limit the amount of movie footage. Your target audience knows the movies by heart; they only need to see enough of the movie to remind them of the plot thread you're talking about. Get to the "Adventures of the Starkiller" stuff sooner.
    - I'd talk a little bit about how people miss the point. Ever notice how nobody talks about this stuff in the prequels, they focus on Jar Jar and sand? Perhaps you could liken what distracts/confuses audience to what duped the common people of the Republic.
    - Similarly ? although Kevin Wetmore touches on this ? I'd go deeper into comparing/contrasting the shiftier politics of the PT with the Boy's Book, good-versus-evil near-absolutism of the OT. I think it's an interesting topic.
    - I'd say keep Charlie Sheen out of your next version. Whatever his thoughts on your topic, it plays as a joke now in light of his recent, um, adventures.

Rick McCallum loves you!
  3. DBrennan3333 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Thanks for taking the time to watch it (all the way through, obviously!) and comment.

I'll most definitely look into all of those, and I was actually planning in implementing some of them, already, so great minds think alike. I am going to redo the opening font and I'm going to redo the ENTIRE ending, so Charlie Sheen is definitely out, independent of his public relations joke-hood.

I disagree with you on a few points. I don't think that people know the movies - especially the PT - as much as you think. Most people I know have only see them once, just parts of them, or never at all. So when some of my family and friends have watched this, they actually have to rewind and re-listen to dialogue snippets because they haven't heard it since 1999 or whatever.

Also, I really don't want to get into the OT/PT contrast because that's just biting off more than I can chew.

But I'll definitely look into everything else. Thanks again.

4. DBrennan3333 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I'm ALMOST finished with the revised, HD (1080p) version of this documentary. I've done plenty of cool new graphics for it - maybe not necessarily as great as some of the fan doc stuff, but since I did it 100% myself and I'm a relative novice, I'm still proud of how it's shaping up.

If anybody could offer any more opinions or suggestions, I'd be thrilled to hear them! Here's a screencap of a graphic I have of George Lucas's desk when writing the first SW in the mid-70's.

[image=http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd499/ComicsPlus3/0500.png]
Moderators: AdamBertocci