main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Fan Fic Pet Peeves?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by alienyouthct, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I don't think I have read a script format story before, but I doubt I would like it. My new pet peeve is writers who are getting reviews, but in no way recognizes the reviewers. Even if a reviewer asks a question the writer ignores them.

2. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    I make it a point to acknowledge every review I can. Even if its a simple 'thanks for reviewing'. I certainly never ignore questions, however inane they may be.

3. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Even if all I put is "to everyone who reviewed, thank you", at least it's an acknowledgement. I do also always try to answer any questions that have been asked.

4. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    Its a bit harder on here but inn ff.net I usually respond to most of my reviews

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I agree with the not acknowledging a reviewer. If I took the time to say something about your story you can take the time to at least say thanks for reading.

I don't really have a pet peeve with script format, I just find I don't really enjoy reading it.

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Script fic is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I mean I can enjoy reading a good Shakespeare play, complete with the stage directions from time to time, but a fanfic in script form often times is not anywhere near as well as a Shakespeare play.

7. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Script only works with some form of RPs

TrakNar likes this.
  8. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I find it more challenging to write a full script, complete with stage direction. For an even bigger challenge, try writing an audioplay. Everything has to be written for audio. Character actions can be described with sound or self-narration. You have a quiet character? Load them up with sound effects unique only to them, or have other characters describe their comings and goings. Awkward as hell, because it's not natural at all, but it works.

The usual script format that I see, though? I've tried recording directly from such a script. The end result was a miserable failure and a confusing mess. I've tried drawing a comic from a script fic. The end result was better, but the bulk of the stage direction was left up to myself, because the script provided absolutely none of it, aside from a vague description.

That said, I'm now tempted to write a full script, complete with stage direction, beats, sound effects, and post it. Or, I could pull out one of my audioplays, or finish this current one I'm starting on.

Back to the peeves...

I don't like trollfics. The novelty wore off ages ago and now they're blah.

9. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Once again I have to go to Google to figure out a term.

10. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Interesting.... (replying to reviews)...I do here, but not on ff.n. I don't feel I should be obliged to respond, after all, I posted the story and then someone was kind enough to say something. Do I say "thanks" and then are they obliged to respond "you're welcome"?

With that said, I try to do a blanket "thanks" on ff.n and I do try to respond to reviews that are more than simple "nice update."

I do appreciate the reviews, but I don't expect an author to thank me for a review and as an author I don't feel I have to meet an expectation of responding.

Now - if I start to get reviews stating "I won't say nuthin' cuz you write nuthin' back" :)oops:[face_laugh]) then I guess I will feel properly chastised and out of touch with social mores.

11. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I don't think you are obliged to answer every review. A general "thanks everybody who read and reviewed" is fine, but I think it is rude to totally ignore your readers. And I don't limit it to fanfics. On deviantArt I usually won't leave a comment if the artist never responds to any of the people who take the time to give a review or comment. I just assume they are not reading the comments, so why bother giving one. To me it is like somebody coming up to you on the street and saying 'Good morning' and you totally ignore them.

This doesn't bother me too much on FFN because others don't know you are being ignored. But at TFN if I gush about the story and maybe ask a question and the author doesn't respond, but just posts the next chapter...then everybody reading that story knows I just got blown off. o_O

And to be honest, I will stop reading a story if I think the writer is a jerk.

12. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I try to address reviews, even if it's just a blanket "thank you." I'll throw in a blanket "thank you" even if I didn't get any reviews or comments. If most of the comments and reviews are similar, I won't address them individually, because I see no need.

Speaking as a reader, I can shed some light on the lack of reviews and comments. I've read fics that I didn't particularly care for, or had taken issue with at least some aspect of the story mechanics. However, I tend to sit on my hands when I see the overwhelmingly positive responses that the fic had gotten. I feel that if I pointed out something that bothered me and asked for clarification, that since my response is in the minority, I'd be relegated to that negative reviewer whom everyone ignores because they're simply a troll. Thus, many, many fics never receive a comment from me because my less-than-positive response is the odd one out. The ones that did see comments from me, the comments were usually ignored outright. Thus, I don't offer my opinion anymore unless I have something positive to lead in with.

13. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Heh, oh god, I am so in trouble with that one. In my defense, the guy was being difficult. Why do I always attract the ones that question me constantly?

That's a peeve of mine, people who constantly only point out the negative. I don't mind if you put out a faux paus but at least say something positive too. I know it seems I'm asking a lot but its really a downer.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Well that's a different situation, I think. If they're constantly offering critisism, to the point of being negative about it and not offering anything positive to say about the story, then I think your well within your rights to ignore 'em. Even if the critique is valid, one should at least offer some honey to go along with the vinegar.

15. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I try to respond to certain reviews but for the most part I just try to thank the readers and reviewers in the next chapter.

School settings can be a pet peeve for me. Luke and Leia in an AU going to a regular school on Coruscant with everyone knowing their connections to their parents or whatever. It's something that feels wrong almost. I will admit that I read an AU where Luke and Leia are going to a private school on Naboo but seeing that the Naboo are protecting Anakin it felt different then if the Skywalker Twins were going to a private school on Coruscant.

16. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I do so love (not!) the reviews that are meant to be ____ (well, what ARE they meant to be?) - like "I found no errors" or "interesting."

Only a beta IMHO is allowed to say "I found no errors." I hate (well, dislike) folks who read to find the flaws and all. I personally read for enjoyment, not searching for nitpicks.

And as said somewhere above, those nearly-horrible fics that "everyone" gushes about and how wonderful the author is and s/he is the "best author evah! of ___." There are some authors that do deserve those kudos and then there are those who can't spell, have horrible grammar, set the characters in terribly implausible situations with no attempt to justify such situation, and squeal about how they "love such-and-such character" and just "had to" do whatever.

17. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Same here. I am always confused as to who goes to school in the GFFA. I have my characters going to college when they are leaving their teenage years. I know there are colleges. I heard some mentioned in the profics, but I never heard of anybody attending any. I assume Luke went to secondary school on Tatooine, but after that it appears he is self-taught. When you read the YJK books there are a lot of Jedi training, but I can't remember any mention of them attending normal classes for reading, writing and arithmetic. So you have these people who can do just about everything, they can fix hyperdrives, and know how to drive just about every vehicle without much practice, but you never hear mention of them attending any classes. Almost everybody learned their skills by on-the-job-training.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think that the reason is the same as why we never see Harry Potter complain about his English teacher - It is very mundane (boring) and don't realy add anything to the plot

19. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I'll have to take your word for it; I never watched Harry Potter. I am not advocating writing about the adventures of calculus. All I am saying is out of the fifty or so books I have read I never heard a character say something like, "I'll meet you after school." And because of this, if you are writing a fanfic involving children or teens, you don't know exactly how they are getting their education.

20. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    That gives me an idea for a one shot now

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

TrakNar likes this.
  21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Well, in an IU Holonet article, it mentioned a "subadult school," which I assumed is the GFFA equivalent of a high school. Thus, high schools do exist for the layperson, but in terms of Jedi, schooling would pretty much amount to whatever would be taught in a temple. Monks wouldn't follow the standard school curriculum.

22. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    What? The adventures of calculus?

Padawan4687 likes this.
  23. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    You'll see.

Padawan4687 likes this.
  24. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Padme mentions school in AotC when her and Anakin first arrive at the Lake House. From the sounds of it they didn't call the "grades" grades; sounded if they are called "levels".

I believe that Luke's schooling was similar to how children living far from civilization learn: radio, or now and then computers hooked to the Internet.

The Jedi Order of the Old Republic had to have had formal schooling of some kind or other seeing that they would need to learn History and a few other things.

Some schooling would be needed for maintenance or repair for some things the rest probably could be learned with some trial and error or opening a how-to book. My dad has read many how-to books and done a few things himself. I wouldn't call him a Jack-of-all-trades but he knows some stuff; he's teaching my little brother carpentry but Alex will have to go to a Tech School to learn and get what he needs to be a carpenter.

Tutors for certain children and certain circumstances makes more sense to me.

Sent from my PADD using Tapatalk

"The Starman and Moon Goddess." Han Solo - Dark Angel

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    "I found no errors." can be annoying (unless you've specifically stated you've asked for constructive critiique of your work), but I've used 'interesting' for a review from time to time, since sometimes, that's all my brain can come up with, especially if I'm reading something either late at night or very early in the morning when I'm exhausted/just waking up and brain's not fully functioning on all cylinders.

Lady_Misty likes this.