main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Fan Fic Pet Peeves?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by alienyouthct, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh, nothing wrong with "interesting" except for the fact that my author's brain interprets it as "oh, I can't really criticize it, but I ah - found it - interesting what you did (and quite frankly I'm not sure you should have, either)." The word itself, much like "capable" as in "Obi-Wan is capable" can be very context-dependent and taken many ways.

2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I generally avoid using the word 'interesting' in short reviews for that reason, but in longer reviews I may say such and such event was interesting.

I HATE it when readers nit-pick. I'm fine if someone PMs me telling I used the wrong word or something, that's fine, but if all you do is pick out the stuff you didn't like, then why are you reading. I'm all for constructive criticism (if it's done the right way privately) but constructive critism and just plain critism are two different things.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I think that's where I differ from many writers. I want someone to point out what I did wrong and offer advice on how to fix it. It's the only way I'll learn to be a better writer. If I made a huge mistake in story structure, tell me! My prose has issues with tense? Please point me to some examples and offer advice on how to fix it! My plot is screwy? Well... that is something I need to figure out on my own, so it's best to ignore that. :p. But, in terms of story mechanics and techniques, please point out where I messed up and help me to fix it.

I'd rather see helpful critiques than a blanket "this is perfect!" comment. I also feel the same way about my art. I'm not perfect. Don't say that my image is perfect, because I can assure you that it is far from it. If you notice something amiss (other than a stylistic choice, which I will often clarify when asked), please say so and help me to correct it!

YodaKenobi and Admiral Volshe like this.
  4. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm fine with people pointing out the mistakes I made (I used to have a really big problem with it's vs its), as long as they do it in a semi-polite manner and preferably privately. I just don't like it when people say "your characterization of Jaina sucked" and not tell me WHY it was bad. If I'm not told why, I'm led to think it's more the reader's preference, then my writing.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  5. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Yeah, I like to know when there are errors. I still have a fic where I need to fix Jaina's name. I spelled her name "Jaine" in one fic on accident.

6. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    This is more a writing peeve in general, but I witnessed it today and it drove me insane. I HATE it when people don't put a space after a comma or period. Like this: "Hello,my name is Jimmy.I like swans." I don't know if it's just laziness, or if they really don't know there is supposed to be a space. Either way, it's one of those things (like not capitalizing I's) that shows your intelligence level and will turn me off of a fic instantly.

Gamiel likes this.
  7. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    Speak of capitalization, I'm not sure if its just me but when people don't capitalize the Force...I really get annoyed. I'm like umm that should be a capital f

Lady_Misty likes this.
  8. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    The only reviews that bother me are when people say "Write more!" when a fic has a very obviously perfect ending.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  9. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I think it's technically personal preference whether you capitalize the F in Force, though IIRC, the EU capitalizes it, therefore I think that should be the standard. Coming from a high school physics background, the Force and force are two different things and the capital F distinguishes between the two.

The "Write more" or "Sequel PLEASE" also bugs me. The one time I did a sequel, I ended up HATING it. I will never do an unplanned sequel to a fic.

Unplanned sequels bug me. It is one thing if, from the get go, you plan on having a duo-logy of fics or even a trilogy, but I find if readers convince you to do a sequel on a story that you have COMPLETED, they just turn out awkward and taking away from the ending of the original story. However, I'll admit there are exceptions to this.

10. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    If anyone bugs me for a sequel, I tell them flat-out, "no." Same with when anyone bugs me to adapt one of my fics into a graphic novel.

11. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    I've honestly never had anyone ask me to make a sequal of something or a continuation. Though, one of my fics for the SJRS challenge originally started off as a one shot...but the question it brought about were so intriguing I decided to continue it.

12. tyratoku

tyratoku Jedi Knight star 1

May 10, 2005
    I haven't posted a fic on this board(yet?), but I thought this conversation about sequels was interesting so I hope you guys don't mind me jumping in. [face_laugh]

I guess I don't mind if people ask for a sequel. I tend to leave my stories somewhat open-ended to give an option for a sequel at some point if I feel like it, and if I get enough people clamoring for a continuation then I can't help but feel happy. People liked my story so much they want more. More often than not I'll do a bit more. Sometimes it's only an extra chapter or five to give a better closing or bonus stuff, but the satisfaction of hearing "Wow this story is even better than your last!" is pretty darn awesome.

Granted, sometimes I'll just say no or a "Somewhere down the line I'll come back," and then just keep pushing it off, but I'll never actually get angry at people wanting more of my stuff.

13. HinkleFieldhouse

HinkleFieldhouse Jedi Padawan

Sep 1, 2013
    I've always capitalized Force. But what about its aspects? Should terms like light side or dark side also be capitalized. I've usually opted for capitalizing them- Dark Side of the Force- because it makes them seem more significant. What do the rest of you think?

--Captain Decker

Lady_Misty likes this.
  14. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    I capitalize the Force, Dark Side and Light Side.

15. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Gee, when I first looked at this and saw capitalization of the Force I was thinking it was something financial.[face_worried]

I always capitalize Light Side and Dark Side and the Force.

16. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Re: requesting a sequel - I don't mind people asking because it means they enjoyed the story that much. If I have an idea for one, I'm usually glad to write it, but if I feel like it will detract from the original story or I just don't have an idea, I'll say sorry, but no.

I always capitalize the Force, but it depends on light side and dark side and how I'm using it... or maybe on my mood, I'm not quite sure. It doesn't really bother me reading a story where any of them are, or aren't capitalized though.

17. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    I think I mentioned this before but when the author gives Anakin a father but Shmi lies to Qui-Gon about Anakin having one. The prevailing excuse that I have seen when this is done is that her husband/boyfriend either had a debt with a Hutt/Crime Lord or ticked someone powerful off so they punished him by abducting her and then selling her into slavery. I even saw one where Qui-Gon was Anakin's father, well two but one Qui-Gon met Shmi on a mission and the other one Shmi and Qui-Gon met in a "Dream World". Either way these fics Shmi withholds the fact that Anakin has a father in the other situations because she is angry with Anakin's father because she was taken so she's getting back at him by denying him his child.

I have read other fics where Anakin does have a father but Shmi's memories were tampered with for various reasons. One she and her husband broke a taboo and he took all the punishment so his punishment was to be erased from the minds of everyone and history: he never existed except that he is alive and has a child to prove it. Another Palpatine was Anakin's father and messed with Shmi's memories after he was done with her. Another Shmi was involved with either a powerful Force Sensitive, possibly a Jedi, and Palpatine was going to use her and her unborn child in a Dark Side Ritual and she fled but he made sure she couldn't remember things clearly so she forgot the man in her life. The last one that I know of no details are given.

The Peeve is they degrade Shmi by purposely having her about her son's parentage either because she's angry with the man she used to love or that she's desperate to get her son out of slavery. Shmi to me seems to want what is best for her son but she is not going to lie to get him out and Qui-Gon should have picked up on her lie; unless she believed it to be the truth.

18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    This isn't really a peeve, but I hate it when I'm busy doing other stuff all day and when I go to turn on my laptop to write and it's only a 1/2 hour to an hour before I go to bed and I gotta ask myself, is it really worth turning the thing on for like a 1/2 hour or so of writing? On one hand, if you really put your mind to it, you can get a nice page of writing down in 30/45 minutes, on the other hand by the time I get it booted up, I'll be distracted, and I'll just have to force myself to turn it off again.

Going off of this, has anyone attempted to write fics on tablets? Anything smaller would be pretty much impossible. I've tried and even though I have an actual keyboard, it just doesn't feel 'right'. It's a shame because my ipad is always on and with me.

Lady_Misty and VanishingReality like this.
  19. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I always write everything by hand. Always. Thus, the only tablet I've written stories on in a pinch was a legal tablet.

20. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I can't write on a tablet. I can only hunt and peck on a tablet keyboard and it drives me crazy. On a real keyboard I can type really fast. My son was watching me type yesterday and was really impressed.

21. PonyTricks

PonyTricks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003

LOL.... I've had that happen to me, too. But when I've ended the story, it means I've run out of ideas to continue. So asking for a sequel is pointless because I've poked a fork in it, and it's done!

22. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007

I've tried writing in Google Docs on my iPod Touch since that's where I share "Dark Angel" and Dark Angel Chronicles" with Bryg. It is really hard to type on a keyboard that small even on it's side. For me the laptop is suppose to be off by the time supper is on the table which is somewhere between five/six-thirty depending on the night, who's fixing it and what was happening.

But I salute those that can type for hours on small keyboards. No wonder we have text talk now. LOL!

23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I need to get a decent keyboard for my iPad. I can type fine with the screen keyboard, but I'd like a decent Bluetooth keyboard so I can abuse it.

Alright, fan fic pet peeves...

You know what grinds my gears? A featureless plane of disembodied dialogue.

SiouxFan and Lady_Misty like this.
  24. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    A Star Wars AU fic I saw has Leia about fourteen and struggling emotionally and she decides to run away and at supper she threatens to commit suicide or mentions it at the supper table. Later Padme goes to speak to her but Leia locked her door and is refusing to answer her mother. Padme thinks she's killed herself walks away to tell Anakin and Luke her fears while Leia escapes from her window.

I don't know about those that are parents but if I threatened to commit suicide or talked about it and then went into the bathroom or another room with a lockable door and wasn't answering whoever was banging on the door demanding that I open it they would be trying to break the door down and yelling for someone else to help them. Someone might even be ready to call for help.

25. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    New peeve...the moment you do something dark (say, kill off a character) everyone starts jumping down your throat for 'hey, you tossed more on the characters?'.

Or my personal favorite...'WHAT?! You killed off one of the only female *insert character type*!!!'. Because its totally impossible for a woman to make a heroic sacrifice, and it has to be sexism for killing the woman off.:rolleyes:

pronker and Lady_Misty like this.