main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Fan Fic Pet Peeves?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by alienyouthct, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Personal fanfic pet peeve: Plot bunnies coming out of no where in the strangest of places.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  2. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    Or how about when they come about while you're still writing something else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  3. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    That too.

4. DarthZotte

DarthZotte Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 21, 2014
    EXACTLY! I know how you feel! I stopped listening to music while writing because it just ended up being distracting.

Mav Edit: Welcome to the JCF Zotte! We don't allow linking to fanfics in threads (it's considered pimping) except where expression permission is given in the thread, so I've removed the link..\You may put a link in your signature if you wish. Please check out the Fanfic FAQ for more info. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask your fanfic mods, myself (mavjade) or Briannakin.

5. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Or when you're at work and have no time to sit and write, and now that you're home and it's the weekend you have zero energy to fire up the writing engines. Oh, that's just me? Okay. [face_laugh]

6. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Been there done that. Or when you think you're going to have the weekend to write and suddenly get called into work.

7. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    Not gonna lie, but I am so glad I don't have that problem at the moment. But UGH, the thought of trying to write tonight is killing me, when that's all I wanted to do all day. [face_frustrated]

darth fluffy likes this.
  8. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Mine have been coming to me in dreams, but I'm not sure how to execute them properly on paper.

9. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    I am currently working through what I call a 'Twenty Plot Gizka Pileup'. I listen to a lot of music, so it gives me a lot of ideas for writing. Couple that with my current play on TOR, and it's a recipe for more writing prompts than I know what to do with.

10. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    A pet peeve I have is when reading an AU Star Wars fic and the Prophecy of the Chosen One is gone into such depth that it isn't funny. A few I have read mentioned the Chosen One getting married and having children and it mentioned/heavily implied that the Chosen One was male and that his wife and she was involved in politics. There was a lot more but personally I think the Prophecy would be vague on certain details. Of course one of these fics a more detailed Prophecy of the Chosen One was found then the one the Jedi had had. In all honesty though I find fics where the Prophecy of the Chosen One is so detailed that if the Jedi had it they could have plotted a course through the PT and maybe (depending on how AU the fic is) found Anakin sooner or are grooming him for his role as a savior.

And yes, I recently posted a chapter of one of my fics featuring a more detailed Prophecy of the Chosen One but I hope that I stayed true to my feelings and didn't make the Prophecy like a roadmap tha tcould have been used to prevent the end result of RotS. Then again the posted chapter takes place AFTER RotS.

11. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I haven't read many AU stories like that, but I've read other fics that do similar things with prophecies. It's as if the author isn't aware of what a prophecy is. Prophecies are vague and left open to interpretation, which is how groups get both saved and screwed over when that vague concept seemingly comes true. When you detail it like a grocery list and leave absolutely no room for any interpretation, what's the point? It becomes less a prophecy and more a cosmic want ad.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  12. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    The GFFA calendar. We've had this discussion here (?) before, but I'm currently in a fierce battle with it. I hate this thing!

Stuff it, you stupid 5 day/week, 7 week/month, 10 month/year nonsense! :mad:

13. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Augh, that's the setup? Geez. I don't think the damn novels even keep up with that.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  14. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    They probably don't! [face_laugh]

And I really shouldn't bother, but...I'm...weird like that?

15. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Well, I wasn't following it for my DDC '14 challenge thread, and I'll be damned before I start now...

16. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    Oh goodness NO. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy! (well, maybe... ;) )

17. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I have ignored it the calendar as well for my DDC.

18. Padawan Fangirl

Padawan Fangirl Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    I'm ignoring the calendar for my DDC(which I'll update later today) as well as my Jango fic. Deal with it. :p

Sent from my stupid little astro droid using TapaTalk 2.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  19. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I think recent profic has ignored that calendar in favor of a 12-month system similar to our own. The 10-month system may be going the way of the dodo soon if it hasn't already.

20. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    The only time I referenced to the calendar was just to grab the name of Tuesday, and only for one stupid thing that I don't think I've ever put into a fic. Taco Taunsgday. I may have referenced Taungsday once or twice since then as my throwaway day of the week, but that's all I've ever used the calendar for.

Besides, Han did mention Sunday school once. Thus, Sunday exists. On Corellia. Obviously they thought the galactic calendar was stupid, too.

As for peeves... A general lack of atmosphere. I see this in profic, too, and I'm also guilty of it. Descriptions either fall flat or are too encyclopedic, and the general tone of a story is bland or formulaic. Formulaic is fine if you're writing a serial, and one of my favorite Lovecraft stories is often described as "formulaic," but overall, many fics I've read simply lack atmosphere.

One of my favorite things about Death Troopers and Red Harvest was the atmosphere, and one of the things that helped was the usage of sound. This was something I didn't realize was missing from a lot of stories until I noticed its usage. Giving your scene sound helps with an atmosphere. We don't just see things; we hear things. We smell things, feel things, and taste things. Employing all five senses at some point will help breathe more life in your scene (but don't overdo it. Like alcohol, it's best in moderation).

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    May I ask which one it is?

22. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    The Dunwich Horror.

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have you heard H. P. Lovecraft Historical Society's radio adaptation of it? If not, so can I recommend it

24. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    My brother is into Lovecraft, so he might have it. But, go for it. I love me some radio drama.

pronker likes this.
  25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Some people will disagree with me, but script!fic annoys the heck out of me. I've seen a couple done well, but yeah... most just cause me to backbutton as soon as I see that the story's in script form.