main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Fan Fic Pet Peeves?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by alienyouthct, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Too true. So much Weasley, Dumbledore, Hermione, etc bashing. Some of the characters I don't like, but the bashing is out of hand. Give us some positivity for once!

2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I think I could better understand Jacen going Sith if he had more mental problems after the Vong war.

3. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Agreed. But again, that would've been an after-the-fact, ad hoc rationalization as well. It only works if he's already been written as experiencing the onset of such issues within the NJO series, or at the very least, the Dark Nest trilogy.

My two kopecks.

4. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

I think he was starting to experience the onset of such issues when he tricked Jaina and the others into launching that strike on the Chiss. I think he lied to her, hoping she would go along.

5. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    That is true, but I think Goodwood is correct, it is obvious that they decided to do the Sith Jacen storyline after NJO and the Swarm Wars were written and then they were scrambling to justify his turn to the darkside. I have to say...they did a better job than Lucas did explaining Anakin Skywalker's fall from grace.

I guess I can't complain about fanfics writing OOC and stupid storylines when the profics are guilty of the same.

Goodwood likes this.
  6. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Vergere's actions are confusing and some thinking her as some sort of Dark Sider at the least isn't too far fetched. In my AU of the old EU I had her compromise her ideals in order to survive and allowed herself to be drawn to the belief that the Dark Side doesn't exist. Then to spread the belief she was willing to stand by as the leaders of the Jedi Order were killed in order to corrupt the younger generation(s) but she was caught and had the opportunity to explain herself to Yoda and Anakin Skywalker's Force Ghosts.

But yes, character bashing is really annoying.

7. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Here's one I frequently have with myself as a writer: when I get completely hung up on writing a totally inconsequential passage or scene that's mainly just there for color. In this case, the character is doing nothing more than fixing himself his homeworld's equivalent of a pot of tea, and for some reason I'm having such a devilishly hard time writing that both my Word document and my paper notebook have become horrible messes of crossing out and rewording and crossing out and rewording over and over again. And it's all just about a pot of tea (or equivalent). It probably doesn't help that I'm trying to rework said scene from much older material that's already typed up nicely. [face_sigh]

Revanfan1, Kahara, Tarsier and 2 others like this.
  8. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    +1

Been stuck in a single scene FOR A MONTH. The rest of the story has long been done, but not the very next scene that needs to take place. Kill me.

9. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    In cases like that, it's my experience that the best solution is to throw out the old material and start afresh, or else figure out why you think said passage needs reworking in the first place. Sometimes we can focus so much on what we thought was "right" about a previous draft that we can forget what wasn't so great.

Kahara likes this.
  10. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh, believe me, I'm well aware of what wasn't so great about the old draft. It goes on and on about minuscule details of the tea-equivalent preparation for about four paragraphs, and I'm trying to get things down to just one fairly concise paragraph. I mainly came back to it to jog my memory a bit about the general gestalt of the tea preparation. It's more the psychological effect of seeing this totally different, longer version all typed out neatly in 12-point Garamond.

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  11. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I've been stuck on RPs. It's really bothering me. RPing has really been the only writing I do, lately, and now I can't seem to write anything. It's not that I'm burned out, as I have replies that have been sitting for weeks. I just can't focus enough to work on them.

12. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Getting stuck is a huge peeve of mine too. I've been stuck on these two paragraphs for a week and a half. I just can't get them right. I know what they need to say (they're outlined), so why I can't make them say it I do not know. *headdesk*

13. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    *joins the stuck parade*

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
  15. metophlus

metophlus Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 30, 2015
    When a critic is maddeningly vague on what they would have me correct in my story, never going into specifics.

16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

Say that you're encouraging constructive criticism, perhaps that will help.

17. metophlus

metophlus Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 30, 2015
    Yeah, well, this took place in private where concrit was a given.

hmmmmm......... (goes to edit thread)

Admiral Volshe and Ewok Poet like this.
  18. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    People telling you how to write your story, ugh I hate that! I've had people doing that to me with a Star Wars fic, and it's like, "I did this because I want to, go write your own!" YEESH!

skygawker, Lady_Misty and whiskers like this.
  19. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Or people telling you what to write.

skygawker, Lady_Misty and whiskers like this.
  20. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Or people telling you what you can't write.

21. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Or people telling you what you can't write in a five paragraph angry rant, laced with the F-Word. And that brings me to MY PET PEEVE--trying to get FFN to delete the review and never having a moderator ever--and I mean not once in the last ten years--acknowledge any PM or request you sent them.

Has anybody tried to contact a FFN moderator and got ANY response? [face_thinking]

That is why I like TFN; we have good moderators.

22. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007

I've never gotten a response from one.

23. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Then do they even exist?

24. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Supposedly they exist and one did tell an author to take down their plagiarized fics.

25. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    I believe I read somewhere that there are exactly two of them. Occasionally they will respond to user complaints and delete a bunch of fics that plagiarize/violate copyright/have explicit content, but that's about it.

But yeah, people telling you what you should/shouldn't write about. It's one thing to say "I'm guessing thing X will happen!" or "I'd love to see thing Y!" and quite another to send you a review/PM with several paragraphs of what ought to happen next. I've definitely seen or experienced that sort of thing a couple times, usually on fanfiction.net but occasionally on AO3.