main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Fan Fic Pet Peeves?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by alienyouthct, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Padawan4687

Padawan4687 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 10, 2010
    Oh boy, the Fanfiction topic in general. WHAT a debate can be had! :p People seem to adore most fanart and fan-made music, but with a fanfiction story it seems to be either hit or miss, and the odds are rarely in your favor!

And yet, on another writing site I frequent, legitimately poorly written fanfictions (mostly about a member of 1 Direction, 5 Seconds of Summer, et cetera becoming a couple with the OC) almost always top the leaderboards...! [face_plain]

Findswoman likes this.
  2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Is that Wattpad? A friend pointed me to a story on there where one of our favourite musicians is constantly raping his otherwise non-existent daughter and arranging to have his wife and two sons in a car accident for no reason. It was...unpleasant, to say the least. [face_sick]

3. Padawan4687

Jul 10, 2010
    Ewok Poet was it that obvious? :p

[face_plain] THAT exists? I mostly turned away from stories that had obnoxiously long titles that spill the entire story, like, "He's the Alpha Male and I'm Forced to be His Mate," or "Kidnapped by Henry Syles!!!!!!" Egh, that sounds far worse than the benign word of "unpleasant"! More like "monstrous," or "a disgrace on virtual literature"!

EECHUUTA and Ewok Poet like this.
  4. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I hang out on a forum for the band in question and there are a lot of teenagers who also like One Direction, 5SOS and other faux-punks; so...yeah, I know immediately. :p And yes, THAT exists and the said teenagers think it's "well-written". I had an innocent crush on the said singer when I was about twelve and I believe I would've had a heart attack if somebody pointed me such a story - my friend and I wrote one where he received a visit to circus for his birthday. We were...very innocent, I guess.

Padawan4687 likes this.
  5. Padawan4687

Jul 10, 2010
    o_o If people think THAT virtual monstrosity is "well written," then where do writers that ACTUALLY can write well stand? I cringe every time I look over my work and spot a spelling error, so the thought of reading hundreds on someone else's work would be...thoroughly unpleasant! :p

A circus visit for a birthday present...that sounds so cute! I'd read that over some of the other stories out there any day!

Do I dare get started on the tween writers that go DEEP into NSFW territory with some scenes? Or...would that activate your "rage" mode on the Fanfiction fandom of Wattpad? :p

Ewok Poet likes this.
  6. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    My rage is easily-activated, but nowadays, I can proudly say that I'm super-mad and remain physically calm. Picture Droopy as a Human female. :p I guess that happens after running a website for another musician for eleven years and reading multiple stories where he's raped by the singer of the band that made him famous. Most of those were written by people who were err...not born before he rejoined the said band and not even prepubescent before he left them again. Some of them even messaged me to ask me if I have a fanfiction section on my site. This...may be slightly related to the problem Force Smuggler mentioned - such RPF monstrosities may be giving people a wrong picture of what fanfiction is.

And I cringe over each spelling error that way, too - both my own and other people's. A you/your or it's/its is guaranteed to sent me on a rant about how on Endor could people whose native language - unlike mine - is English do that. :p

Padawan4687 and Findswoman like this.
  7. Padawan4687

Jul 10, 2010
    *shuffles feet awkwardly* My first language is English...and I'm guilty of the occasional spelling error. It's typically worse if I'm in a hurry or just ignoring my inner editor for word counts... :p

Ohhhh no, that must be such an awkward position! Eegh, I personally got so creeped out by the constant presence of badly-done romance in stories, Fanfiction or otherwise, that I've actively tried not to include it in my own work! Of course, a few stories managed to sneak in romance, but...good grief, I'd never even consider writing for a heavy topic like rape! Writing about a same-sex couple's romance has me worried enough!

Roleplay discussions won't activate my "rage mode," which I'd like to think isn't easily triggered anyway, but it DOES activate my almost-ridiculously-long-post mode talking about it. :p

Ewok Poet likes this.
  8. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I think it is unfair comparing fanart and fanfiction.

21/11/2015 - Edit: Okay-dokey, editing out all but the case I was trying to make.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  9. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I...I think you just about insulted every writer, ever. :p

Shira A'dola likes this.
  10. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

Unless you're me..or a bunch of other authors. I try to do every edit before I post.

The other problem is artists can most definitely refine after they've posted. I've done that before, too. :)

It's just fanart is not such a concrete idea as fanfic. Fanart is a snippet of the artist's imagination, but fanfic can be a steady flow of ideas and such.

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  11. Shira A'dola

Shira A'dola Jedi Master star 6

Sep 4, 2012
    Please tell me you're joking. I both write and draw and hold both types of creativity to the same high standards. FanFiction, to those who write seriously, goes through several beta readers and scrutinization before being posted anywhere, to make sure grammar and flow is as perfect as possible. Telling everyone here that they're lazy writers compared to perfectionist visual artists is really bad form, dude.

12. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Interpret my words how you wish; I was making no judgment about any writers or artists here or anywhere, but describing the two different arenas, to my mind, that fan artists and fanfic writers, operate in, which is why I think it unfair to make a direct comparison between the two activities.

It is like me comparing skydiving to BASE jumping. I am describing the two different arenas - one is several thousand feet up in the air, plenty of time to open your chute; compared to the latter, not so much lead time.

Talking about the environment that both types operate in, is different to talking about the people doing it.

13. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    Yeah, but you DID make a direct comparison. Does fan art get more leeway because there are fewer hard and fast rules about what makes it 'good' or 'bad'? Language has rules about tense, spelling, grammar, etc that we should follow, but art doesn't. Are there examples of bad fanfic? Sure. But personally, I don't think some of the fan art is any better.

Ewok Poet and Tarsier like this.
  14. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    It's usually a lot quicker to tell good fan art from bad fan art, while fanfiction can often be good and bad, and often takes more of a time commitment by the.reader to tell which it is.

Just some food for thought.

Tarsier likes this.
  15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    We have some double standards going on here.

Regardless of what Sith-I-5 said, had he been somebody else, people would assume he's pointing fingers at them and there would be pointless drama. This way, people will dismiss him as controversial and that will be it.

I'm not saying that anybody should have assumed he was talking about them, I'm saying that other people's comments of this kind should be interpreted as generic statements as well.

16. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    One of mine is when for some reason are at a loss of words for a review so you say some random things that may or may not make sense and you hit 'post'.

Bonus points if you can't edit the review.

The whole point of a review is to give your thoughts, give good crit and make sense. Not make comments that no doubt will cause confusion.

*bangs head into pillow*

Sent from my iPadd from another galaxy using Tapatalk

17. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    FF.net again, I assume? Can people on there write a comment without an expletive in it?

18. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007

Been called the inappropriate alternative word for butt or the acceptable alternative name for a donkey once but 9/10 those leaving comments don't swear at me, call me names or leave a review with bad language. Then again I do have the profanity filter on which may or may not work where reviews are concerned.

19. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yes, they are capable. Sometimes I wonder how many are capable though.

20. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    I've got some fairly reliable reviewers myself...

Granted, I tend to use SV for actual discussion. FFN is great for ego boosting considering how many reviews I get...rather less so for well-thought out ones. Outside the reliable few, mentioned above.

21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I got a total of three, all three on the same story and back in February. Then again, I don't read anything on there, either.

22. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    I was reminded of one today.

You guys know on FFNET how you can replace chapters of your fic with different chapters? That's great if you need to fix an error or something but when someone revamps a fic and decides to replace the chapters with knew ones it means leaving a review is very challenging: signing out and making sure that they know it is you. It's even worse when they remove a chapter and replace it with vastly different content

23. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Here's a peeve I often have with myself while writing: second-guessing myself too much, which invariably slows me way down in actually finishing and updating in a timely manner. It's even worse when it happens right after I think I've actually FINISHED a chapter! And yes, that is precisely the situation in which I now find myself. Le sigh.

24. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Findswoman - I have the very same problem with myself, it's probably my biggest fanfic related pet-peeve (I do it a lot IRL, not just with fanfic). I sometimes am able to just let it go and I just post, but often not. I wish I had some advice for how to overcome this, but I don't. But you aren't alone in that feeling. [:D]

Findswoman likes this.
  25. Padawan4687

Jul 10, 2010
    I have a little one that drives me absolutely crazy...about my own writing. :p

Say I start out a story with the MC having short dark brown hair and green eyes. I describe her that way from the first part, and twelve parts later I accidentally write her having curly red hair instead! [face_laugh] I hate confusing an OC's appearance, I'm sure it confuses the readers as much as it annoys me!