main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Fan Fic Pet Peeves?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by alienyouthct, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Out of curiosity, what if the writer's screen name is based on the OC's name, not the other way around? In my case, the character came first, and I made my screen name months later based on that because I liked it, not to write self-insert fics. Granted that there's very little way for someone else to know which came first and which was based on what, but I do hope other people in my situation aren't getting automatically discounted because of a screen name. I guess I don't see how it would be any different than using a canon character's name in a screen name, you know? ;)

2. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Well I guess that is judgmental of me.

Usually when i see it they are writing the fic.though. Having not read your work I am sure that I am lumping everyone together.

I will admit that "Misty'" is part of the name of a character I created for a letter game.

3. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Now unless you've hung about the FF boards for a lot of years, 'Darth Breezy' isn't going to instill fear or loathing in anyone. :p

Years ago, I once randomly thought about killing a character for dramatic purposes - indeed, it would have added an element of pathos to future stories (Luke raising his daughter alone) but Luke 'told' me in no uncertain terms that he would find a way to MY universe and break my head if I did, so that idea got scrapped pretty quickly... :p

pronker and Lady_Misty like this.
  4. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I have to admit...many of the characters in my fics are Jedi lovers.

5. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    I agree with this because it's easy to go for pathos and much harder to write an ongoing relationship.

6. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Thankfully, the name "Goodwood" doesn't really lend itself to character inserts, not even code names (for kicks and giggles, look up Operation Goodwood on Wikipedia).

Then again, this nom de guerre dates from 1998.

7. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    You know what I hate? When I need to work on a fic, my muse is bugging me to work, but I'm sick and lack the energy to do anything other than lay in bed all day.

Admiral Volshe and Lady_Misty like this.
  8. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    I know all about that!

I have several fics that need to be updated but things elude me at times.

Got to pin Bryg down so we can update Dark Angel, DAC and Heirs of Voyager.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

9. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    I'm unsure if this is an actual peeve, perhaps it's an observation, but typing speed gets to be so much faster when writing or answering comments on these boards, that a lot of what I 'say' is just like I'd say in person, complete with little asides and colloquialisms. This makes me feel less like an author and more like a ... correspondent?

10. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    I think I know what you mean.

I should and want to say more but the desire to either be the first to review or I am so excited that it isn't the best of reviews.

Here you can edit but on ff.net you can't add to your review.

11. smuggler_vola

smuggler_vola Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 13, 2012
    That was me today. Every time I thought about working on a fic I fell asleep or got distracted and started reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

12. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I bought all of the Hitchhiker's books for my son's twelfth birthday. It was funny hearing him laugh hysterically while reading them. His school book reports probably didn't make any sense though...unless his teacher read the books also.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  13. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Reviewers that tell you to read the books or to get your facts straight.

I've had several do that to me. One blamed the Clone Wars TV Series of messing things up and one said that they thought I should read a book series.

Truth be told I STARTED that book series and found it to be unrealistic so I stopped buying them. No it wasn't FotJ but it was one of the series that I stopped reading because I felt that everything was unrealistic.

And I've seen other reviews that nag the author for messing things up when the fic clearly is stated to be in an alternate universe.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  14. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Yet again it's the plague of the reviewers telling the writers what to write. Although I have to admit that blaming the Clone Wars one is rather novel in a stupid way. Now someone is trying to interject their own version of canon into what really *is* canon! Doesn't the TV show come before the books but after the movies when it comes to canon? Wow.

15. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, there's like an hierarchy of canon that goes something like movies, tv shows, then books. It's a bit more complicated than that.

I don't mind readers making suggestions, but when they tell me I'm wrong when the fic is clealy labeled AU, then it gets annoying. Or when the case is not made clear in the books and a reader tells me it's not true - for example, it never says anywhere that Lando is an only child or that Tycho and Winter are childrenless. Readers often assume and they don't let their imagination stretch the possibilities.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  16. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Well said.

17. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    So if I were to summarize the contents of this thread, I think it would go roughly like this:

Fanfiction.net: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. :p

LLL, J_Girl, smuggler_vola and 5 others like this.
  18. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    There /is/ a lot of fanon out there, such as Mara Jade is Obi-Wan's daughter, and Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan shared living quarters, and even from the OT, that Beru and Owen are childless - as far as I can determine, this was unstated - anyway, fanloreDOTorg has a nifty article on it here http://fanlore.org/wiki/Fanon

Such darn fun to speculate, sigh

Lady_Misty likes this.
  19. Mayla

Mayla Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    Rew: Well, I wouldn't be too sure about that... *coughDeviantArtcough* :p

I've done this before (including the one I'm using now) since I tend to have a hard time remembering screen names and passwords--partly because I handle so many different ones for work. Trying to tag it as a sign of vanity, immaturity, or a Mary Sue mentality is unfair, especially since a lot of forums have rules (eg. no name changes, no additional accounts) that make it literally impossible to start over. A poorly chosen name could be 5-8 years old, and the person behind it might find it just as distasteful now as you do. :p

20. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Well, as for masters and padawans sharing living quarters (or not) is there any definitive canon answer? (For the record, I'm not including the JA books which have separate quarters.)

21. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    That's right - and including the record, in the first of JA and JQ series, there were statements regarding such, as separate. Fanon sails happily along, however!

22. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Yeah, but isn't there a book with the Temple layout - if so, does it indicate anything?

23. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Oooh, there may be one - it's unfamiliar to me, though. I kinda like keeping things vague, in this regard. Opens up more fanfic opportunities!

24. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    The idea that Masters and Apprentices might not share quarters is sort of supported in TCW in Assassin Ahsoka is shown in a small room that seems to be hers.

But you have to take in account that Anakin is male and Ahsoka is female so that might be inappropriate. Then you have the fact that Anakin is gone on a mission so she might be staying there until Anakin returns.

25. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    In 'The Clone Wars' cartoon Ahsoka clearly has her own room in the Temple. But Ahsoka and Anakin are a fairly irregular Padawan-Master pair and this is during wartime, but I always assume that Masters and Padawans have separate rooms in my fics. It would be much, MUCH simpler to administer the living spaces in the Temple, because a Padawan would not need to change rooms after being Knighted. And separate rooms would be more monastic.

In the Star Wars Locations book there is a very big and detailed cross-section of the Jedi Temple. It is far from a complete floor plan, but it has the things you see in the movies. Plus other details about from earlier parts of the Temple as it was built up over thousands of years. Which makes sense - if it was a multi-millennial re-building project that might account for why it's so ugly ---- ooops, did I just type that? [face_devil]