main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Fan Fic Pet Peeves?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by alienyouthct, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I use google drive for the fan fics that I get Beta'd and co-write. It's much easier than email and if you are on Skype you can discuss what it is that needs work.

2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    That's true...I only use Google Documents for fanfiction. I guess Carbonite could get hacked...but the Department of Defense has already been hacked and I was told my Social Security number and military documents for me and my family were compromised. The Goverment gave us a Government version of Lifelock for a while. Recently I signed up for Trusted ID (Cheaper version of LifeLock). The trouble is the hackers are probably hacking into my bank, my financial advisors computer, TurboTax and the IRS already. I really don't think there is any way to be safe other than living off the grid like the Unabomber. :(

3. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    Jedi_Lover all true. Yet, as a financial advisor myself, I can tell you my office takes particular care to make sure our clients information is protected to the best of our ability and not uploading or storing information in the 'cloud' is the number one 'no-no' because despite what they would have you believe, it is a huge target for hackers. No just the run of the mill hackers, the underworld conglomerates that take it very seriously.

Yes, the gov't computers can be hacked. All computers can be hacked. But why help them?

If you keep your info on a stand alone hard drive on your desk at home and disconnect it when you are not using it, it's really hard for them to get at it. It's harder to steal a car when you don't leave the keys in the ignition. I don't keep copies of my tax returns or bank statements on my computer for that very reason. It can be hacked. But I can keep copies on my stand alone hard drive more safely.

Again, fanfiction? Eh, whatever. Keep in mind, that you need to wipe off any personal info from the document properties of the file.

4. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Archive of Our Own is also a great option for posting fic nowadays, and the SW community is still relatively small. You still have to sign up on the waitlist to get a login but if you have friends who are members they can get you in before the queue.

5. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I wonder if one of those hackers is Ghent. :p

Saw a fic where clone troopers accidentally come to Earth and from the sounds of it they learn what is in store for the galaxy and are going to attempt to stop it. I'm sorry but that's like Captain Kirk going back in time and learning that most of the female fans of the TOS have the hots for Spock, Sulu, Scotty, McCoy and Chekov; so he tries to make himself look a cool to woo female fans.

6. S1thari

S1thari Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 13, 2008
    I didn't mean to fan the flames regarding the issue of shipping romance fics, it was just an observation/pet peeve, which I've been nurturing for years now. As someone said above, this "phase" spans 6-7 years, maybe even longer. I recall vividly when I first started visiting the JC boards in 2006 noting the start of the trend. Of course, at that time, there was far more diversity, lots of stories with OC's and many, many more characters covering the long and diverse scope that is the SW EU. Now it just seems like all of that distinctive range has been curtailed by the romance stories. I have nothing against such stories at all, mind you, I just won't be as likely to read them if I'm casually browsing the list as I would something else; and I have read plenty of these types of stories, so it's not like I'm dismissing them offhand the moment I come across one. I do understand the enthusiasm behind them - we all enjoy writing what we love. You should write what you love. That doesn't change the fact that, generally, I would enjoy seeing a wider range of fics on here. Perhaps the new SW films will help with that. Maybe not.

7. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
  8. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    If the ten requested come through, and anyone wants one, they can have one. The site says 'normally we give out 3 at a time,' but we shall see after today's request.

9. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    1 is given away, there are 9 left, should anyone want one.

10. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    Please remember to have your plot bunnies spayed or neutered. It's the responsible thing to do. :p

11. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    This I shall do. Otherwise, chaos ensues.[face_liarliar]

Lady_Misty likes this.
  12. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    A few pages back the whole holding an update 'hostage' until you get more reviews/comments was discussed. I didn't get the reason why people did that until now. I posted my first chapter for my first fic over at FF.n. I have 3 VERY short comments (granted, its a very short prologue) but I already have a ton of follows. I mean, is "great start, I can't wait to see where this goes" so hard?

13. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    That's the problem with FFN, even compared to here (sometimes). If you don't post something people like, its hard to get reviews. Case in point:

I can post a Bleach story...I'll write 4k word chapters that are arguably my best work in that genre...yet only get 5 or so reviews.

Go to an older story in the same genre, that gets 10+ reviews per chapter, because I have a fanbase, and people prefer the story.

I've found FFN very hit-and-miss in that regard.

14. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    It is weird. I have one story that I posted in both places. I got 200 comments and like 30K views over at FFN. That same story here did okay, but not nearly as well as on FFN. Then I have another story that was very successful here, but didn't do very well at FFN. Now, the story that was successful here and not at FFN was an OC story. It could be people are reading it here because they are more familiar with the characters.

As for holding a story hostage...(JL holds up a rabbit by the ears and puts a blaster to its head) "Read my stories or the plot bunny dies!". :p

15. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    How sincere are the reviews if they're in response to a threat? "Great story, more!"? With follows you know they are interested in the story. And on both boards, some folks don't like to leave a simple "good job" yet don't feel confident to leave a more unique review, so leave none.

If those authors simply must be validated by reviews, let 'em hold the story hostage I say. And I will exercise my priviledge of avoiding said story.

But of course I do agree with the sentiment of: Does anybody like my stories - if so, why don't they say so?

J_Girl likes this.
  16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I agree with that sentiment. I sometimes have very little to say on a chapter, sometimes 'Great update' is all I can say, but I still say something to let them know I liked it.

I mean, I would never hold an update hostage (REVIEW NOW OR ELSE THE FARMBOY DIES), but I now understand the frustration behind it.

17. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    "Review now or there won't be smut" might actually work.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  18. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Review now or I WILL pair Obi-Wan and Jar Jar!

(Some joke that is current on the Obi-Wan thread in Community...)

Escalated threat:

Review now and gush buckets or I WILL pair Obi-Wan and Jar Jar and delve into all the messy details of said coupling.

19. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    That would definitely get a review out of me. I don't want to read a interspecies, slash, bondage, gungan-play smut staring Obi-Wan. I guess if it was with old Obi-Wan it would be okay. He was in the desert for an awful long time as a hermit. At that point he might be up for any type of action.

20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh gah. My mind. It BURRRNS.

As I write more and read more sophisticated books, my English teachers have become my pet peeve. I was taught to never use 'a lot' because a lot is a section of land, so you will notice in my writing that I avoid using it. But it bugs be because I see it all the time in both excellently written and edited fan fics and profics. And no one notices when I use alliteration in my fics.

21. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh, goody - I grossed out some fellow fanfic authors. :D

22. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    My fanfics must bug the crap out of you because I write that a lot.

23. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001

I knew there must be a reason why "a lot" makes me uncomfortable sometimes even though I use it a lot. I had an English teacher once who took off points for more than a certain number of uses of the word "that" in our papers. That was a real pain and I can't tell you how happy I am that people don't actually seem to notice that her efforts didn't really succeed in getting me not to use that word so much. :D I feel better now... Actually, I'm glad they had that rule since it did get me to be more creative in my phrasing, but I think the word "that" is invisible to most readers.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  24. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    My philosophy is simple: be aware of the "rules" and break them if/when breaking them feels right for your story at that :D time. I've recently caught myself saying, "These ones" and darn near cringed. Now I don't claim to know all the rules - I couldn't identify all parts of a sentence if I were to win a $1,000,000 for doing so; I was only a "B" student in English, but I do have a pretty darn good idea of what is "right" and "wrong" and know where to look if I want to double-check.

25. Stone Jade

Stone Jade Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 27, 2013

The only reason I started posting over here was because I was getting no reviews on my stuff at FF.n.

I just took a look at my story over there, and it has 12 favs and 11 follows, but only 3 reviews, and all from the same person, no less. Incidentally, that reviewer only commented over there because (he/she?) reads here but isn't registered (thanks for reviewing, becgate, if you're reading this).

I don't have a burning need to have people say things such as "great job, I loved it", although that's appreciated. Substantive comments ("I liked this particular part because..." or "this other part could use a little work because...") are really helpful to beginning writers, and my disappointment with the lack of comments at FF.n brought me over here.