main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Fan Fiction]Coruscant, we have some problems

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthBreezy, Mar 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogueMara

RogueMara Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 29, 2005
    Homosexuality, rape and torture are all above PG rating.

Why is Homosexuality not PG?

2. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    flowerbee,
    sarcasm is not synonomous with trolling.

You cannot use the excuse that because you were not able to see any point that one doesn't exist.

In fact, there's users who have been perfectly able to find the point, even if you're unable to.

3. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    One, your belittling his opinion as much as he's belittling yours. You don't even know what his opinion is on the subject and yet you're completely dismissive of anything he's saying. If your mad because an Non Fanficcer posted in this thread it's one thing, but you not even seeing the point he is making because you don't want too.

What I'm complaining about is the fact that he isn't making his point in a way that is
    1) generally comprehensible
    2) appropriate for a civil discussion

Homosexuality, rape and torture are all above PG rating.

Am I reading this right? Homosexuality, depicted at the level of a heterosexual PG fic, is over PG? Really? Well, that's kind of narrow-minded. But, moving on...

He made the point that not everyone feels the same way about interspecies pairings as you do, and you just down his throat about it.

This conversation started with
    1) me explaining to someone else some of the issues fanficcers have with the fan fic forums
    2) an inquiry about where the rule came from
    3) my reply that it's the rule's interpretation that is at issue.

NO ONE was trying to turn this into an interspecies debate. NO ONE.

I've said this in many threads lately... it amazes me that moderators and users alike don't understand why people leave these boards.

4. RogueMara

RogueMara Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 29, 2005
    In fact, there's users who have been perfectly able to find the point, even if you're unable to.

I caught the point, but you went about it in a very inappropriate way for a moderator.

Perhaps you are the one who should learn to see other points of view and stop being so snarky.

5. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    Alright, I conceed that point. Perhaps I am using the wrong terms. :)

6. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Jesina...
    "Out of six people who have posted in this thread in the last ten minutes, only ONE knows what he is talking about. ONE."

So, instead of accepting that you may not have as complete an understanding of the issue - a facet of issue that clearly others do understand - you would like to dismiss it out of hand as trolling.

You don't see something wrong with that picture?

7. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    You'll note I edited after rethinking that, Genghis.

8. Rose_Skywalker

Rose_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2002

What I'm complaining about is the fact that he isn't making his point in a way that is
    1) generally comprehensible

well unless your saying i have some sort of IQ level higher than the average JC'ers, which i highly doubt, I don't see how it is incomprehensible.

Genghis: I have to recognize though that even if one doesn't have any problems with that situation,[interspecies piarings] that others might.

there thats his point, that you seemed to have missed.

Am I reading this right? Homosexuality, depicted at the level of a heterosexual PG fic, is over PG? Really? Well, that's kind of narrow-minded. But, moving on...

Now this is based on the fact that i have never seen a movie with homosexuals in it that was rated PG, they were all at least Pg-13. And if your trying to call me narrow-minded you might want to turn the finger around at yourself, since you can't seem to listen anyone arguments who disagree with you. Consider my best friend is a gay man, i don't think anyone should be calling me narrow-minded.

9. SweetPea

SweetPea Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 8, 2004
    Genghis, perhaps I am just a little dense, or over-tired, or something, and cannot decipher a point that is readily apparent.

But even if your point is clear, that does not excuse your rudeness.

10. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Rude?

So, have I called you trolls?

Or is it because I called your posts pointless?

No. Could it be because I asked you to leave the thread?

Or maybe because I questioned your experience with any of the forums under discussion?

11. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    Note the "Generally" and my point still stands that when this thread has degenerated into a policy discussion, it's usually helpful to know what people think about said policy.

And, I saw that. Thanks.

I understand and welcome other people's opinions - when they make them. But rudeness begets rudeness, sarcasm begets sarcasm, and I am not the one who TURNED this thread into a policy debate in the first place.

Or is it because I called your posts pointless?

Well, certainly struck most of us that way... or was it nonsense? At any rate, you said we weren't taking the subject matter seriously.

No. Could it be because I asked you to leave the thread?

I didn't ask you to leave the thread. I'm just bothered when people pass judgment on me for being vocal about my opinions about a community of which I am a part.

Or maybe because I questioned your experience with any of the forums under discussion?

And, since you brought it up, you have, what, a grand total of 17 posts in fan fiction?

Damn, I said I was leaving the JC a while ago. I wish I had.

There are a few moderators who can interact with people on a user-to-user level, setting aside sarcasm and rudeness. It's a shame they aren't in greater abundance.

Adieu.

12. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    Has there ever been a homosexual pairing in the literature?

There has been interspecies pairings in the books. While I don't exactly like the idea, I don't see much wrong with letting writers write what they please.

But this thread is quickly degenerating into mud slinging. Maybe we should all call it a night.

13. JediJainaSoloFel

JediJainaSoloFel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2004
    Perhaps instead of jumping down each others throats, we should get the discussion here back on topic.

Fan Fic has been having a lot of problems lately but it looks like there may be a way to solve them. I think that the focus group was a marvelous idea. It will allow actual members to discuss the issues with the fan fic mods in a calm and reasonable manner and to be able to get some results. Obviously those results aren't going to make everyone happy (because there is rarely anything that does) but at least there will be some decisions and we will know that the input of the users was highly considered.

What does everyone else think of the new fan fic focus group?

14. flowerbee

Apr 29, 2004
    Yes. Please let us get off this.

I'm optomistic about it... but how does that work exactly?

15. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you... :p What's happening right now is that a topic is presented, we discuss discuss discuss, and then...I'm not sure. I'm guessing the mods take the results of those discussions and come up with a set of guidelines for the forums.

Somewhat unrelated - Selonians are like otters? Really?

16. flowerbee

Apr 29, 2004
    Sounds interesting. I won't ask, please don't kill me! *cowers*

Otters... I think they are more like bugs with fur...

17. JediJainaSoloFel

JediJainaSoloFel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2004

I'm guessing that JadeSolo's description was pretty accurate (since she's a part of the focus group) but I PMed a Fanfic Mod to see what their whole take on the focus group was. I'll post the response as soon as it comes.

18. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    Rose: If your mad because an Non Fanficcer posted in this thread it's one thing, but you not even seeing the point he is making because you don't want too.

If he can make an argument without being crass or rude, he's more than welcome to do so.

: As far as being rude, and sarcastic, if you've ever run into genghis on any other board, he posts with the same kind of sarcasm.

I've not run into him on any other board... and I fancy a bit of sarcasm from time to time. Here, though, his remarks had the effect of poking fun at the topic rather than discussing it. That's trolling, IMO.

Genghis12: You cannot use the excuse that because you were not able to see any point that one doesn't exist.

A point, by virtue of it being a point, should be visible.

: In fact, there's users who have been perfectly able to find the point, even if you're unable to.

I can't find a point, other than trying to paint the discussion as absurd. Any other point you thought you were making was overshadowed by that.

: Or is it because I called your posts pointless?

That would be the idea. You've been casting the entire thread in that light since page one (particularly since your collection of statistics that ignored the entirety of the commentary made on the survey).

Jaya Solo: Has there ever been a homosexual pairing in the literature?

No, but some will argue that if it exists in our galaxy, it would probably exist in the GFFA as well (though the sanity in discussing the existence of a fictional issue in a fictional galaxy is an entirely other ball of wax). This is also a political hotbutton right now as well, which makes it an attractive target for discussion. However, the owners of the board have dictated that slash shall not exist in any form, and there doesn't seem to be any confusion over what is or is not slash at the present time. The justice, or lack thereof, in not allowing slashfic (much like the PG rule) isn't up for debate.

Just to clarify: Since a few people have mentioned it: the PG rule and the prohibition on slashfic are two discrete rules, IIRC. Slashfic isn't being measured on the PG scale... it's just banned outright.

: There has been interspecies pairings in the books. While I don't exactly like the idea, I don't see much wrong with letting writers write what they please.

Again, this is a valid argument since this *is* a Star Wars site. However, like slash, (I'm assuming) there's an edict from on high that says no to anything resembling bestiality. Unfortunately, the interpretation of that is not so cut-and-dried (nor explainable), hence the reason for the controversy. Hopefully we'll end up with a guideline that makes sense so the drama can move on to the next topic of interest.

JediJainaSoloFel: What does everyone else think of the new fan fic focus group?

I think it's an excellent idea, in theory. Since we aren't privy to the discussions going on, only time will tell. We'll just have to hold out hope.

19. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Guys, leave Genghis alone. Honestly, I see no trolling in his comments. It looks to me like he was trying to understand the interspecies rule. It looks to me as if you are jumping on a moderator specifically because he doesn't have much interaction in Fanfiction. This is posted in Comms, and as such, it is open to comment from all the moderators, not just the fanfiction ones.

I don't care if you think his posts are trolling just because they are not in the light you would prefer they be in. I certainly didn't like the light some posts in this thread have been in, but have I called anyone a troll?

I don't see that this thread is continuing to be useful or appropriate. At this point, the discussion has moved from here over to Fan Fiction Resource, and we have started a focus group to discuss the issues raised in this thread. Unless you can provide a valid reason why this thread should remain open, it is past time to lock it.

Dana

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    We think that as long as it's PG, it's PG. We use Gavin/Asyr as an example because it is:
    1) an actual relationship that appears in the books, as opposed to writers taking a friendship and making it something more
    2) I personally know of a fic that was about this 'ship that was disallowed.
    3) it's a case of not allowing something that's actually IN the books.
    4) it's a relationship that most fanficcers that I know of are familiar with.

It's amusing to me that a ficcer proposing this is getting bent out of shape by Genghis' suggestions.

What YOU are saying is that, if the *novels* allow Gavin/Asyr, why can't you.
    What HE is saying is that, if the *boards* allow Gavin/Asyr, why can't he have Jaxxon/Leia? Or Jabba/Leia? Or Gavin/Saba? Or... n ... ?

We don't allow interspecies fics because we don't allow interspecies fics. Period. If we allow some, we allow all. All is too close to bestiality in some cases to make any sort of attempt at "family friendly." This is IN NO WAY related to homosexuality, as that's another subject which has nothing whatsoever to do with bestiality. The only correlation between the homosexuality topic and the interspecies topic is in the same way we don't allow relationships to be mentioned. If it would draw a mod alert for behavior that would trigger between fictional characters who are both same sex, it would draw the same alert for fictional characters who are different sex and different species.

21. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    : We don't allow interspecies fics because we don't allow interspecies fics. Period. If we allow some, we allow all.

The controversy lies in that currently some, but not all, *are* allowed... but not in a way that makes any sense. Hopefully that will be one of the things that gets cleared up.

22. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    Dana's right, there isn't much point to this thread anymore. But I did want to say one thing.

We don't allow interspecies fics because we don't allow interspecies fics. Period. If we allow some, we allow all.

From the Fan Fiction FAQ:

For Cross-Species pairing to be allowed, the two species must be significantly alike. As an example, a twilek/human pairing would be allowed while a gungan/human pairing is not.

Interspecies relationships are indeed allowed, if they follow that particular rule. Bothans aren't similar enough to humans, which is why Gavin/Asyr fics aren't allowed. But Face/Dia would be fine.

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The controversy lies in that currently some, but not all, *are* allowed... but not in a way that makes any sense. Hopefully that will be one of the things that gets cleared up.

If they're near-human, right?

Chiss?
    Zeltrons?
    etc.?

Right?

Those aren't inter-species, per se. Nor would a Homo superior mating be for us X-Men fans. If there are more allowed than that please let me know, because the above's always been my impression...

24. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
  25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Hmmm, in reading this I think my solution would be to outlaw any interspecies pairing, except for only defined near-human species.

So stop any and all fics ongoing with human/Twi'lek pairings or any other type of interspecies fic which are not same species or human/near-human.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.