Discussion Fan fiction made Romance okay.

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by brodiew, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl
  1. brodiew Force Ghost

star 5
    I have to say that Pairings, or in RL, romance is nothing I would have seen myself reading, much less writing. The world of fan ficiton has exclusively cured me.

My favorite pairings?

Star Wars: Han/Leia.

Lost: James (Sawyer) and Juliet

Star Trek: 2009: Kirk/Chapel and Spock/Uhura

Wow. Fan fiction has made it ok to read romance.

Comments?
  2. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    What do you think changed for you?
  3. brodiew Force Ghost

star 5
    Hey Nat. I think it was the characters in the context of the film or show. In both LOST and Star Trek, we get only a glimps of the the ships that interest me; and yet they are intesnsely affecting, intriguing, and well nice.

Yeah. I know. Nice. What kind of word is that? I guess that the ships of Nyota/Spock and James/Juliet touch something in me that gives me hope and also a positive feeling for the future of the characters and their stories. Does that make sense?

Especially with LOST, these are characters that were introduced in Season 1 and 3 respectively and have changed for the better over the course of the series. To see their two stories combine and to see, on screen, and later in ff, how these two are made better as people by their association with each other.

In Star Trek: 2009, Nyota's love for Spock is so tender and giving in his time of intense personal grief that one would have to stone cold not to be affected.

4. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    That's really sweet :D

I can't say fanfic has changed my views on romance much (since I grew up while I was doing this and I think life changed me) - but it is nice, as I see my friends with screwed up relationships, to come here and see ones that work, even if it's fiction.
  5. brodiew Force Ghost

star 5
    From the male perspective, its just strange and comelling to be so interested in the romantic relationships of certain characters, even to the exclusion of the greater storyline.

My personal views on romance have not been changed. They remain constant. I guess I've always been a romantic.

I guess that explains everything.
  6. Ceillean Force Ghost

star 5
    I haven't met many male writers who actually enjoy writing or reading romance. I think this is great, though. :)

I've always been a fan of romance stuff. When I was younger, I loved mushyness and anything and everything involving relationships. As I grew older, it was sort of pushed into the background. The main story plots did not only revolve around two characters being together but there was other stuff to be dealt with as well.

I believe that every good story needs at least one romantic scene. *sighs*

I'm totally for Spock/Uhura, by the way.
    When I saw the movie I gaped at the screen. Seriously, my Mom laughed at me. She was sitting next to me when I went "Holy ****"
    I yelled it out when the theater was quiet, too. [face_mischief]

7. brodiew Force Ghost

star 5
    As I grew older, it was sort of pushed into the background. The main story plots did not only revolve around two characters being together but there was other stuff to be dealt with as well.

I think this describes well where I am. I am invested in the characters, but not exclusive to themselves. I enjoyed love stories that are 'true' rather than contrived. I guess that is in the eye the beholder, but there you have it. The mush is ok in the larger context of the story. But one shots are ok too.
  8. ratna Force Ghost

star 4
    On first take, I read that as 'I loved mushrooms' ... :p
  9. LadyRoisian Jedi Padawan

It's very nice that Fan Fiction made Romance good for you.

I am not as into the Uhura/Spock ship as many are, but I am willing to keep an open mind, and as it has good effect for someone that is a good place for me to start.
Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.