main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fan Fiction Review Newsletter, Edition 3: May 2003.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kettch_the_Jedi, May 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kettch_the_Jedi

Kettch_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 22, 2002
    Fan Fiction Review Newsletter 3

Welcome to our third edition. We have made some changes and additions but are still trying to perfect the newsletter. Please leave a post to show that you are reading this listing suggestions, comments, favorite parts, and ideas. If you are interested in becoming a reviewer, please visit this link. In addition we have openings for the following positions: Original Character Story Editor, Art Editor, Poll Editor and Older Fan Fiction Editor.

Ratings: The order of the ratings are: Poor, Fair, Good, Very Good, Excellent, Amazing.

New Fan Fictions

Title: At the Turn of the Tide
    Author: Tycalibur
    Era: ESB, AU
    Summary: Set mid-ESB, Luke has the Force vision of Han and Leia and sets off for Bespin, only to have his ship crash-land back on Dagobah. With the X-wing damaged beyond repair, Luke is forced to remain on Dagobah, and his Force-training takes on a strange twist. Meanwhile, on Bespin, Vader realizes Luke will not be coming and he stops Fett from leaving with Solo?leading to a confrontation between Vader and Fett. Stage is also set for Leia, Lando and Chewie to rescue or attempt to rescue Han.
    Number of Reviewers: 2
    Rating: Good-Very Good
    Comments: This AU shows what could have happened if Luke hadn't been able to get off Dagobah to rescue his friends. The scenes showing how Vader has to change his plans are especially logical and well done. Boba Fett has a larger role than in ROTJ as well -- all in all, very interesting and worth reading. I enjoy this story, and I'm following it. The author has quite a few interesting plot twists and turns and it is compelling to the reader to wonder what is coming next. The writing is somewhat dry, but general writing skills, grammar and punctuation are very good. No major distracting typos.
    Quotes: The creature was slithering all over the ship, its many arms ? almost 10 of them ? probing it. The ship was being turned over and over again like a waterwheel.

My ship!

Luke felt cold, and was trying desperately to suppress his anger. He didn?t know what to do. How was he supposed to rescue Han and Leia now?

Title: A Wraith in the Night
    Author: lightsaber_wielder
    Era: NJO
    Summary: While on a training mission to develop Jedi skills, Tyria and her son Doran run into the Yuuzhan Vong.
    Rating: Good-Very Good
    Comments: I liked the way Tyria didn't depend only on her Jedi skills, but also used some of the things she learned with the Wraiths. It is a very interesting story that captures your attention. If you like Tyria in the Wraith Squadron books, you will like this story.
    Quotes: ?Mom, you are a genius,? Doran said. ?And evil.?

?I was in Wraith Squadron,? she said. ?What do you expect??

Title: An Imperial Story
    Author: JediHunterCommand
    Era: Imperial OC
    Summary: An Imperial OC defends a planet against pirate slavers.
    Rating: Good
    Comments: The writing style is familiar and easy to get into, a well done job so far for the author's first fic. A good OC fic about a commanding officer doing his duty as best he can after the death of the Emperor. In this fic, he defends a planet against the threat of pirate slavers. Short, but a good read.
    Quotes: It had seemed like a thousand years since Vaccen had seen his home last. The fighting had taken him far away

2. LadyMairead

LadyMairead Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    *applauds Kettch* Very nicely done, all of you! I particularly liked the "Grammar Tips" section. A great idea, and certainly helpful to all of us authors.

Thanks for another interesting and amusing Newsletter. Lovely work! :)

3. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Nice. :)

Just one thing... Wookiee is spelled with two "e"'s at the end. ;) I got this link from the thread that's linked in here. ;)

4. Diabla

Diabla Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2002
    Well done :D

5. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Hmm, I think my next poll will be "Do you reply to the Newsletter?"

6. Coota

Coota Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2002
    I liked this a lot; don't know what else to say.

7. Jaded Skywalker

Jaded Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 1999
    Wow, you guys continue to pour so much effort into tis wonderful newsletter!

8. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    Awesome job, everyone :). I adore the new additions to the newsletter. Once again, thank you, Kettch, for providing the award entertainment. It was also lovely to see a link to the ceremony thread in this issue.

Am [face_love]

9. Kettch_the_Jedi

Kettch_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 22, 2002
    Hmmm... I wonder if less people are reading this or if less people are responding to this... hmmmm...

Thanks very much to those who responded. :) We appreciate it greatly.

10. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Just wanted to let you know that I've been reading (and now replying) to the newsletter! It's a great idea. Good job with it! :)

11. DropkickJake

DropkickJake Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    im another lurker, sorry 4 that! this is great!!! keep it up!

12. Aanix_Durray

Aanix_Durray Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2001
    **raises hand**

Hi, my name is Aanix Durray, and I'm a luker *sniff*

:p

Anways, just popping in to say that I love this newsletter, I've been reading it, and have now been attacked by a killer Plot Bunny because of it.

Well done! :)

~Aanix

13. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    How do you pick the stories for reviewing? Can a member of the board suggest a story for review?

14. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    I think Kettch took one or two of the newest stories from each board.

You can certainly suggest one to her, but since she hasn't done a newsletter in June or July, I'm starting to think that she's abandoned the idea and won't be doing another one. :(

15. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    Kettch, will we be getting another newsletter soon? *is curious*

Am [face_love]

16. sabrelight

sabrelight Jedi Master star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    Great job kettch, but could some one give me the links to the previous editions, I think I missed them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.