main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fan Fiction Update - Week of September 11, 2005

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by JadeSolo, Sep 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    :rolleyes:

As a counterpart to this week's MS Update in Comms, compiled by our very own RhondaWho with a lovely GriffZ theme ([face_plain]), this fortnightly edition of the FFU will sport the theme of :rolleyes:

Aren't They Ever Around? :rolleyes:

2. Leona is finally back from the land of Sexy Scots. Finally...someone with the power to sticky these updates.
  3. [face_plain]

4. Jade will be gone this Saturday and Sunday. Yeah, her parents might tell her that an out-of-town trip has been planned, but the actual date remains elusive until the last minute.
  5. [face_plain]

6. Rhonda got all mushy gushy one night and professed her undying love for the other mods. Awwwwww. And then we all threw hissy fits to entertain her. But when the words "focus group" were mentioned, everyone screamed in terror.
  7. [face_plain]

8. Voracious claims she didn't throw a hissy fit. No one believes her. [face_plain]

9. Teh Modly Business :rolleyes:

10. The latest FAQ is up. How exciting! If you notice anything wonky in it, drop a note in the thread or PM the mods.

11. Plagiarism is bad and will get you an automatic 3-month ban. If you suspect something is afoot, immediately alert a mod. We will investigate and deal with it as appropriate, which may include asking the authors to submit story outlines for comparison. Flaming and baiting within the questionable thread are not allowed.

On a related note, remember to ask permission before using someone's OCs. First time's a warning, second time's a ban.

12. Posting pictures leads to hilarious captions. But at the same time, it's murder for people on dialup. Rather than quoting and reposting the pictures all on the same page, please use links.

In general, please don't overdo the posting of pictures. Links are highly underrated - they can be decorated with color markups, plus the picture isn't distorted when you finally look at it.

13. Unsolicited PMs are still bad. Soliciting your stories in your own story thread is a-okay, but when venturing out, please ask the thread owner first. You must have a reader's permission to send them update announcements.

14. You MUST be at least 13 years old to post. Proxy posting - having someone else post for you while you are banned - is not allowed.

15. Tying Up Loose Threads :rolleyes:

16. Several "appreciation" threads have been started in the past couple of weeks. While a couple have been allowed for the time being, provided they stay on-topic, such threads are generally not allowed at the JC. If you're thinking of starting one, check with the mods first.

17. Redundant threads - remember to look through the Fan Fic Index before starting threads in Resource! Use the Fanfic Writer's Help & Information Thread for specific questions (i.e. What color are Airen Cracken's eyes?). If you'd like to start a discussion thread, inform the mods in case a similar one is already in the works.

18. Challenge threads have been temporarily halted. See the announcement thread for more details.

Current ideas include giving the organisers more responsibility by putting them in charge of indexing response vigs. These would be posted in individual threads in the appropriate forum, with links in the Resource thread. Index info at the top of the vig would be mandatory. Thus, New Story Indexers could skip over them, while the Challenge Indexers pick them up.

Another idea is to have one response thread for all the vig
  20. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I always read it, Jade but it's even more interesting to read when it's funny! Love the :rolleyes:

Great job.

21. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    Thanks for the update. Some interesting stuff.

22. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
  23. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    How about asking authors to volenteer to 'place' a coin, especially in older fics? of Course they would no longer be eligible to participate or would automaticly be 'down one'.

And tight pants on male Jedi =P~

Oh, and I think we should get BlindMan to repost his infamous Pirate story... [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

24. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    [face_laugh]

I love humour in fan fiction updates! :D [:D]

Interesting stuff. Thanks, mods!

25. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    Or you could just edit some post in the middle of the first page of the author to include a gold coin... ;)

26. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    I was just informed that's how it was done before. My bad. :p

27. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    Be creative. ;) We're fanfic writers, of course we'll be silly and creative and play along. :)

28. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000

Your wish is my command.... ;)

29. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    You know, I've got a question. Why are author appreciation threads not allowed? I know a couple of friends who definitely deserve something along those lines.

Maybe have something along the lines of one thread for author appreciation and have it switch authors every two weeks?

30. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    As I understand it, user appreciation threads aren't allowed in general because they open the door to all sorts of trouble. A thread that "celebrates" a particular user creates a perfect place for the user's enemies to troll.

Besides, you wouldn't want to hear people complaining that they don't have their own appreciation thread, while someone "less-deserving" gets one. :p Threads that focus on specific users can bring out a lot of hard feelings.

When it comes to author appreciation threads, we already have the author interviews, which I think do a pretty good job of highlighting the user and his work. A lot of the discussion threads here also have an Author of the Month, or a spotlighted story of some kind. With all that already in place, an author appreciation thread becomes redundant.

31. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Thank you for your response, Jade. Although author interviews? I don't think I've ever seen that.

I agree with the sentiment, but I will admit, I still think it might be a viable idea with some tweaking. Ah, well.

32. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    Author Interviews, Version 3.0

There were a couple threads before that. This one hasn't been updated in a while, but all the threads were pretty good at giving the authors some glory.

33. me2gungan

me2gungan Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2005
  34. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    Hello.

This thread is not for introductions, however. You might want to check out the Lounge (should be the first thread on the page) or Getting to Know You.... This thread is just for the update and questions/comments about the update.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.