main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fan Film Anyone?

Discussion in 'Archive: Las Vegas, NV' started by KhartrinRhan, Jun 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KhartrinRhan

KhartrinRhan Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2002
    Okay, thought I'd post an interest thread on this. I am working on a Star Wars Fan Film. It is in the early outline/concept stage at this point. I have Adobe After Effects (to do lightsabers/lasers etc.), have just ordered a blue screen keying plug-in for After Effects and own a professional miniDV camcorder. (About $800 total in software investment alone) Basically,I am very seriously commited to this project. This is a LONG TERM project with two goals. Number one is a good, well written/acted SW fan film complete with a "Making of" documentry. The second is a SW parody short film (10-15 minutes) to enter in the Fan Film contest before Celebration III (hopefully they will have another). I would also like to plan a group trip this Fall to Death Valley, CA and visit some of the locations used in ANH. May even try to use some of the original ANH locations for my Fan Film. I am even playing with the idea of inserting a cameo of myself into some of the SW films. Just as a conversation piece at the house.

2. DarthRaith

DarthRaith Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    I'm very interested in doing a fan-film but I'd rather do something serious.

3. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    I'm interested in making a Fan Film, and I don't mind what type of film it is.

I'm also going to be going to UNLV, and may have contacts for real proffesional equipment, since I'm going for a Film degree.

4. KhartrinRhan

May 8, 2002
    Actually DarthRaith, I will be doing a serious film first and a parody (early 2005 compeletion date) after that. The rules for the contest this year limited entries to documenteries and parodies only.

MoronDude

I'm going for film at UNLY myself starting this fall (hopefully). Maybe between the two of us we can recruit some film crew help.

5. DarthRaith

Mar 12, 2002
    You coming saturday?

6. KhartrinRhan

May 8, 2002
    I won't be able to make meetings until I change shifts in early July.

7. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    KhartrinRhan, Fall is going to be my first semester there too! Let's make sure we meet each other so we can join forces on both this project, and other film projects too.

8. Rose-

Rose- Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2002
    Hey Guys!!!
    Greetings from Japan. I got here a week ago, but I haven't gotten a chance to check the boards due to traveling (I'll get back to Vegas on the 30th). I finally got a chance to check the message boards, and I'm interested in this fan film. I myself am not very technologically inclined, but I have a couple nice costumes, and I have a friend that makes EXACT REPLICAS of lightsaber handles. If you have the technology to do the actually "light"part of the lightsaber, it would probably look very realistic. I'd be willing to act too.

9. KhartrinRhan

May 8, 2002
    Wonderful! Once I change to grave shift, I will be able to attend meetings so we can discuss this as a group. This is going to be a long term project possibly going as far as Fall 2003 for final completion. I am still experimenting with the FX software for the lightsaber blades and preparing a story. Doing stills with PhotoShop is easy, but doing video frame by frame is a pain. I too make my own lightsaber hilts, but have to come up with a design that allows for a 1/4" to 1/3" thick rod (wood or aluminum) to be securely mounted within the hilt.

10. DarthRaith

Mar 12, 2002
    cool, I assume this will have to be set in the time of the Republic since everyone is going to want to be a jedi, whats the point of being in a fan film if you can't be a lightsaber weilding maniac hunh? I'll be the bad guy.... Darth Raith anyone?

11. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    I have a suggestion. Everyone knows lightsabers are hard to wield effectivly, yet never in any star wars movie has someone had a notable lightsaber accident. We should incorparate this into the story. Like, lets say a non-force using bad guy who picks up the hero's lightsaber and insed of dealing a final blow, chops his own head off instead.

Also, as an homage to the films of old, could we have a small short film before the feature film. Something Star Wars related, but humourous.

12. KhartrinRhan

May 8, 2002
    I will have a few basic story outlines ready by the end of July. As soon as I can attend a meeting, we can discuss ideas etc.

13. Rose-

Apr 11, 2002
    I could do a padme/leia type part if you're interested in anything like that (I have a really pretty dress too). I'm kind of on the tall side, (ok, I"m 5'11'' !) but I have some similar features to them (nothing uncanny or anything, but a little similar). I have some martial arts training too (ninpo taijutsu and kempo). I'm not too good, but if it's choreographed, I could probably do it if you wanted to use me for that instead. I feel silly, I'm soooo excited about this. Maybe I can come up with some potential ideas to share with you while I'm here. (It really is lonely here, I'm stuck by myself while my mom works, lots of time to think). What exactly are you looking to do for the serious film so that I can brainstorm out here??

14. KhartrinRhan

May 8, 2002
    Lots of great ideas so far. I am currently writing an outline set between Episodes I and II (I'm on six 10hr days right now at work, so it's slow going). By July 9th I'll be on grave shift and would like to schedule a special meeting sometime after that date just to discuss the film. Once this really gets rolling into preproduction (heck, I've already spent $800 on FX software alone) we may need to get together more frequently. I am shooting for an excellent story, good acting, cool fight sequences, local locations and the best FX I can muster.

15. DimensionX

DimensionX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    It would be cool to have your own film under your creation. But I'm to poor to afford anything. I'm lucky I have this computer.

16. Rose-

Apr 11, 2002
    Local locations?? Well, we sure do have the perfect TATOOINE location, :)
    Unfortunatley, if we did between episode I and II we couldn't use it. But Mount Charleston is pretty, and Red Rock(kinda reminds me of Geonosis), there are a lot of Unique locations that could be utilized.

17. KhartrinRhan

May 8, 2002
    Rose

It's going to be difficult enough getting everyone together for a film shoot. That's why I am trying to keep the locations as close to everyone as possible. There are other desert planets in the universe.

18. DarthRaith

Mar 12, 2002
    I suggest when we get together for filming we make it a whole day affair, that way the distance wouldnt be such an issue as if we were meeting more often for smaller shoots. And I know we live in the desert but can we please utilize something else. A park, or redrock or charleston or an abandoned warehouse or something.

Tatooine is so deadly dull. We need to get together and hash out some story ideas.

19. KhartrinRhan

May 8, 2002
    DarthRaith

I agree, however for Red Rock or parks we may require a film permit. And yes, shooting will be a day long affair. I will have a few story outlines ready by July and I am open to any story line ideas from the group. This project will be slow and steady, not rushed. I want something we can all be proud of. I have also been experimenting with blue screen keying and may be able to "insert" people in the original films. Mostly just walk thru's. For our own amusement purposes, that is.

20. DarthRaith

Mar 12, 2002
    That could be cool, if it looks good. Mos eisly and Mos espa would be the best places for cameos I think

21. KhartrinRhan

May 8, 2002
    Well, I just received my blue screen keying plug-in for After Effects. Looks really good so far. As far as locations go, I may be able to blue-screen and composite some locations. This would give me more possible sets. Any one good at 3D drawing?

22. JangoBear

JangoBear Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2002
    If you need stormtroopers we have about 8 of them in the Neon City Garrison.

23. Moka

Moka Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    Hello Vegas FF from Henderson,

There are a great many of us out here who are absolutely interested in making fan films as well. We have a couple in the works, as far as storyline etc., and we also have acces to some pretty good equipment and software. Several of us love making costumes, so far mainly Jedi and bounty hunters, and props, mainly custom lightsabers. You can contact me or our city rep, Talon_Wolfe, and check out some of our handiwork at http//talonwolfe.tripod.com.

24. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    I'm an awesome 3D Modeler/Animator, and David is going to give me a copy of Lightwave 3D 9.0 so I can get back in to it. If you are interested, I can bring my class demo tape from High School to the next meeting so you can see what I'm capable of.

I modeled an entire street of Mos Eisley off of SW:CCG cards, complete with vaporators and Imperial Prefect's office. It was good, and I know I could recreate any locale, as long as I have a good picture of it.

25. KhartrinRhan

May 8, 2002
    MoronDude

That would be great. Using bluescreen will give us a wider range of locations and virtual sets for the project. I will be purchasing the blue cloth, some 4'x8' sheets of plywood and some 2'x4's to construct a blue screen set. I have (2) 10'X20' garages which can double as sets. I will be at the meeting Saturday, July 6.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.