main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fan Film Awards Show discussion

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Interim_Jareth, May 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Hey Rive,

Where's that [face_rolleyes] face you were talking about. I could use it right now! ;)

Have fun!

[EDIT: Bummer, this post doesn't quite the same effect when it's not on the same page as Daft's last post. :( ]

2. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    I know that I was going to enter The Soft Drink Menace into the contest, but alas, I only told 3 weeks before the deadline, and could not finish 35 visual effects shots by then. And by the way, what were the guidelines for the film. I know it couldn't have Star Wars music and such.

3. unclepain

unclepain Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2002
    No copywritten music, no footage from the original films, and couldn't be serious fan fiction that expanded on the existing Star Wars universe. Parodies and documentaries were allowed.

4. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    DARN IT! The Soft Drink Menace would have met those guidelines.....NOOOOO! Oh well. :)

5. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    PadawanNick, I think you're missing the point of Empire of One. It's a humorous parody of the US Army's "Army of One" commercials, not a fictional effects showcase like Join the Empire. They represent two completely different genres and probably shouldn't even be compared.

6. TheRealFennShysa

TheRealFennShysa TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 7, 2000
    THANK YOU, Max... I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't think it's a rip... although personally, I think they still should have stopped it at the "Empire of One" tag... the rest feels tacked on, imho...

Overall, I liked the special... as a piece aimed at the general public who doesn't know a fanfilm from a hole in the wall, it works well...

As I said before, I was shocked (but pleased!) at how much of Darth Vader's Psychic Hotline they ran... a nice side note: watched it with both Heather's and my parents last night... both our mothers thought it was a great Mother's Day present to see and hear their kids on national TV... :D

Fenn
    ...and thanks to all those who've said such good things about it... it means a lot...

7. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    I understand the difference.
    I've seen the Army ads, and I know that Join the Empire's main intent was to showcase the filmmaker's 3D work.

Still, given that Join the Empire, itself a generic Imperial Forces Recruitement Ad, already exisited, a new CGI recruitement ad appears much less original.

Perhaps I was harsh in using the word "knockoff". Maybe the Eo1 filmmaker wasn't even aware that JtE existed. Still, for me, it's least original of what I saw in the contest.

Just MO. Everyone is entitled to their own.

Have fun.

8. MOEndor

MOEndor Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2001
    So, does TFN have any equivalent award? A yearly award for what it thinks is the best fanfilms, whether broken down into categories, or what not? And if they don't, why not? It would seem to be such a natural, and since they've got the better films anyway, could it not give atomfilms a run for its money?

9. sqerl

sqerl Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 12, 2002
    Don't worry MOendor... some individuals from around here are working on that.... you'll probably hear the trumpets blaring soon enough when it gets announced...

10. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    why didn't Duality meet those guidelines?

11. SovereignKnight

SovereignKnight Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 17, 2001
    Hey Daft, none of those links work :(

SK

12. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Doooh! I've just realised I've made a stupid mistake, and deleted them all, I thought I uploaded them onto the Storm Ahead server.

Give it an hour and they'll work...

EDIT: Okay, they should all be back up and running again...

13. MaxVeers

Apr 24, 2000
    Macho, Duality is neither a parody nor a documentary. Thus, it doesn't fit the guidelines for the AtomFilms contest.

14. MaxVeers

Apr 24, 2000
    After some playing around, I found a direct link to The Star Wars: The Battle of Hoth. Use ASF Recorder or a similar program to save it to your hard drive if you desire.

The Star Wars: The Battle of Hoth:
    http://wm.atomfilms.speedera.net/wm.atomfilms/full/battle_hoth_wmp_300.asf

ASF recorder:
    http://non-standard.net/asf/

15. greho-kaing

greho-kaing Jedi Youngling

May 13, 2002
    They should have had a category for films like duality, it was so much more worthy than the crap they showed. Does anybody know of anything that shows quality like duality?

16. filmmaker

filmmaker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2002
    errr. In a shameless self promotion. Look at Essence of the Force at www.kerbybrothers.com (soon to be on TFN, I'm being patient), or you could see it at ifilm (the #1 short film now)

17. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    Look at some of those other films! The teen's film and Power of the Sith, they not excatly a doc nor parody. Duality, does not have Sith from the films, does have oringal music.

18. unclepain

Mar 6, 2002
    For the record I felt that they should have included some of the other great films that are showcased here and around the web for the contest, but they didn't. Everyone knew ahead of time what to expect and since most of us aren't lawyers we really don't have insight into why Lucas Film couldn't endorse these other films. They probably wouldn't have endorsed any films at all if parodies and documentaries weren't protected by law. Besides, Duality is doing fabulously over at the iFilm competition, second only to Emergence of the Sith- both great films. Was it a shame that Christmas Tauntauns was picked as "Best of Show" when we all know that better films existed on the web, yet were not eligible? Sure, but man- look at all the attention being given to fan films. I think this is a great time to be involved in film-making. This is fun, remember? :)

19. Nathan PTH

Nathan PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    I have to agree with Macho on that last point. Power of the Sith and that Young Jedi Award film were NOT parodies, especially not the Young Jedi Award film. Makes me wonder how many of what we consider "real" fan films might've been able to enter, somehow.

20. unclepain

Mar 6, 2002
    I don't know- cutting someone's head off and having them hold it while you field goal kick it over a cliff isn't exactly "Serious Fan Film" material, but I see what you mean.

21. drawmarkee

drawmarkee Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 10, 2002
    Well, I liked the show very much. We did seem to have a problem here in Salem, Oregon with some HORRIBLE digital artifacting, but it cleared itself up for the midnight encore.

The whole Mother's Day thing was pretty tricky. The local paper ran an article about me Sunday morning, and people were calling to congratulate me all day. Then we had Mother's Day dinner in front of the television at my folks' house ... all this made my wife pretty ticked. Unfortunate timing, it was.

I liked their choice of editing on SW Project, but I was surprised to see that neither "Best Comedy" (Stargeeks) nor "Best Short Subject" (A New Dope) were shown at all ... but we got to see long clips of Jawas Gone Wild, DV's Psychic Hotline, and the full clip of Jar Jar's Walking Papers? I like those films, but I think room should have been made for ALL the winners.

Hey, at least they showed some of my movie. SW Project is definately NOT the fast-paced, effects-heavy stuff they were obviously looking for. :)

Greg

22. Sage_Halcyon

Sage_Halcyon Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    "I'm glad it went to somebody in Britain."
    Further proof that GL didn't even pick the film. I swear, I don't think he watched those films!!!!! ;)

23. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    No, but the Lawyers did. ;)

I just finished watching it. And while I stand by my previous comments about this, a scene from THE RIGHT STUFF comes to mind ...

"You mean you don't want our best pilots?"

"I didn't say that ... we want the best pilots that we can get."

And thanks to the lawyers, that's what they got.

24. Sage_Halcyon

Sage_Halcyon Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    How true, how true......sad, huh?

25. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    So, does TFN have any equivalent award? A yearly award for what it thinks is the best fanfilms, whether broken down into categories, or what not? And if they don't, why not? It would seem to be such a natural, and since they've got the better films anyway, could it not give atomfilms a run for its money?

Sooooooooooon ...... very very soon. ;)

It will not be directly affiliated with TFN or any other website/forum .... but TFN will most definitely be one of the
    primary sources/resources for the presentation (along with FanFilmFX and the various "unhosted" FanFilms) :D

Keep your eyes peeled ... it's just around the corner now.

JediTAC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.