main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Read, PA Fan Film for Central PA

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by EighteenDelta, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EighteenDelta

EighteenDelta Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 22, 2007
    So I have been asked to start a thread about organizing a fan film. I will start with repeating the information I previously posted then we can begin from there. I am still chasing down equipment on ebay and such, DAT recorder, microphone, cables, headphones and field mixer currently. If anyone has something they think they could contribute (equipment, skills or otherwise) I would be grateful to hear from them to see what's still needed and start building a list. For the smaller and less ambitious project, maybe we can shoot and have it in the can by mid summer? I need to get as much as I can out of the way as soon as possible, since my wife starts law school in the fall, and that means some adjustments to schedules and free time and caring for my two lovely children. First things first though... what do we have and what do we need?

I have:
    Camera Canon XL1s
    Script and outline and start on dialog
    Materials and equipment for costuming
    Some lights/reflectors/butterfly-scrims
    Reasonable computer (just finished building for video editing)
    Adobe Premiere software
    Basic cinematography skills

Sorely Lacking:
    Tripod

Feel free to make suggestions and let me know what you might have to contribute. Skills are important too...

-x

2. Rebel_Spook

Rebel_Spook Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2002
    I can supply a really good tripod. Just got it before Christmas.

3. Pugglethelesser

Pugglethelesser Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 13, 2006
    I have martial arts training and sarcasm....I've been told by some on this board that my sarcasm is almost a super-power. So, I just thought I'd list it as an attribute.....lol

4. JediSoccerDad

JediSoccerDad Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 12, 2004
    Young heart & n old body :D

Actually, martial art training (a decade ago), but willing to help out & participate! As well as build a costume (but would have to strech it out a bit (money wise), so I wouldn't mind starting that before we loose time, lol)

Would also love to help in teh storyline (disgrunteled writer, as I am..)

5. EighteenDelta

Mar 22, 2007
    Do we have any illustrators or anyone who can draw stick figures better than I? I could use help with story boarding, plus I would like to see some costuming design if anyone has ideas. My friend Gia and I have a couple things we sketched out for the more ambitious project. Maybe a working title might be the best place for me to start, I will try to have it posted by tomorrow eve. Working titles for both projects actually, to make it easier to reference. I don't want anyone else to spend money on anything that isn't for themself on this project yet, I have a great deal of fabric hoarded in my basement, stacked next to the machines. Other than costumes, props would be another design area, Lightsabers, blasters, commo gear, packs, etc. I don't want to use 'found items' for props if I can help it (military pistol belts, web gears, pouches, flashlights, so on). Maybe my expectations are too high, but I think we can do it right. Is it just me or do you groan when you see the paintball gear and SCBA masks?

-x

6. JediSoccerDad

Aug 12, 2004
    Great ideas! I know, personally, I wouldn't mind putting money in a costume, because I was planning on doing it anyway. I also agree that if you do something, do it right. Just let me know, I'd love to help out in this project, just to be able to say I was part of it..

P.S. We have a resident artist, are VP, Steph ;-)

7. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Ooo! A fanfilm sounds like a great idea! :)

I'm currently an illustration major(3rd year) at PA College of Art & Design, so if you need help in that department, I can try and lend a hand. Also, I'm a member of the 501st and I have a TIE Pilot uniform if you could use that in some way.

8. EighteenDelta

Mar 22, 2007
    Steph,
    I took the time to look at some of your posted art, SWEET, I am inspired to new levels of giddiness. (forgive me, my friend Gia laughs at me constantly, I am a California native and I say things like 'sweet', 'dude', 'peachy', and 'stoked'. Just so you are warned.) Where is the PA College of Art & Design located? Steph how are you scuplting skills? I am actually not a horible scupltor, but I lack the finese in finishing details that a real artist often has.

Would anyone be interested in starting an IRC channel to help expidite communication on this project or other ideas in general?

Rob, I will see about getting a sample of writing to you ASAP.

On the topic of working titles, I promise to have something posted by this evening.

-x

9. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    I have some sculpting skills, but it has been a while since I did any sculpting.

I don't know what an IRC channel is exactly, but most of us have access to AIM.

What part of CA? I spent some of my childhood in the Napa Valley and living on Hamilton AFB.

10. EighteenDelta

Mar 22, 2007
    If you even knew how to handle clay then you will be a great asset. Most of what we would be sculpting will be lacking in organic details, so should be within the means of our skill level.

I also use AIM, Yahoo, and MSN messenger. IRC = Internet relay chat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Relay_Chat) Just figured IRC would provide a centralized online ground to meet.

I was born in SoCal(Santa Ana), but grew up in Norcal about 3-4 hours north of Napa Valley, Shasta County near Redding CA. If anyone has seen the new still shots posted on the 'IMPS the relentless' site for chapter two, they did the shooting for the snow troopers at the base of mount Shasta, beautiful area. http://impstherelentless.com/images/ch2ps003_lrg.jpg Lived there basically from the age of 18 months to 18 years, then joined the army, never to move back... Yet.

In other news, I worked on writing today with my partner in crime, we have a working title and as details are released I will take constructive criticism on it. Currently we are working with 'Star Wars: Lesson Unlearned'. Details will follow soon. Character names will also be important. I want to start with a solidly written idea and not just have 'hack-a-thon 37: Lightsaber battle'. We will come back to this later tonight, the wee ones call for their dad...

-x

11. EighteenDelta

Mar 22, 2007
    I would be willing to listen to advice anyone may have when it comes to equipment, especially if you have any experience in certain areas. I should be receiving an estate settlement this month or next month, nothing major, a couple hundred to a couple thousand, most likely less than $1500. I have already talked to my wife and whatever comes is earmarked for equipment for this project or future projects. I have a pretty good idea for boom/shotgun mics as far as what I am looking at, anyone got suggestions or model numbers to look for in Lavalier Mics?

Is anyone interested in helping on set with location sound? Or, Post production sound mixing and soundtrack work? Does anyone have experience in photography or videography who might be interested in assisting with lighting? Or, if you don't have the expertise, who is interested in learning any of these skills to help work in any of these capacities? I want to know what skills we have in the group, or what aspirations. Do you know someone who might be willing to be involved in this production who has usefull skills?

-x

12. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    I don't have any experience filming beyond taping a few tourist-type events and a couple of weddings. I would love to learn more of the intricasies that go into more established filming.

You might want to go asking for any advice over on the Fanfilm board as to what equipment might be necessary.

13. EighteenDelta

Mar 22, 2007
    I am actually fairly comfortable with knowing most of the equipment needed. I am even building up a supply of a great majority of them. I will certainly not shy away from the advice of others, I have been reading a lot of the other posts. I really don't wish to contribute to the confusion by making more thread topics that just don't generate interest. In the end I will most likely be working with all of you locally, so your opinions, skills, and ideas matter more. I don't expect most of you have any cinematic experience, but some people will have useful skills, that's what I am looking for at this point. I also have a lot of outside people willing and interested in participating, some with theater experience, and some with music/audio experience. If you don't know but are interested in acquiring skills, let me know, and when we have the people you can get matched up to these other people and learn. I hope that this first project will only be the first of many we make, as long as we are having fun, I want to keep at it, but time will tell.

-x

14. JediSoccerDad

Aug 12, 2004
    I like the idea that you are keeping it mostly with the Reading-York FF Group. Makes me feel special :)

Anyways.., if you are creating a list, I would be interested in helping out with:

Storyline
    Costuming/Prop-Making
    Choreography/Acting

P.S. If you decided to go with some younger actors for fill-in parts, one of my daughter's interest is theater. She is 12.

15. EighteenDelta

Mar 22, 2007
    Reading/York FF IS special, I hope we get the chance to show that.

List started...
    Rob added...

Well your daughter, as well as any other youngins from the group, may very well find themselves with roles, especially if you are helping with writing and such. Ah the benefits of nepotism...

-x

16. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    I am interested along the lines of Rob, as well as any help behind the cameras (someone once told me that I have the face for radio...). If you are looking for any "younglings", I am not above letting my (very cute) 4 year old be involved. :p

Pretty much whatever I can do, I am willing to do!

--Not sure if it would be of use, but I do own a wooden practice sword and might be able to pick up a couple more if the flea market seller still has them.

17. EighteenDelta

Mar 22, 2007
    If you are that hideously ugly, we could always use make up or armor to hide you and put you in front of the camera. J/K. I don't honestly know if I have any great places to include any younglins in the story yet, but I am not above working it in somehow. We shall have to wait and see.

FYI
    Wooden Sword = Boken (I have about 20)
    Bamboo Sword = Shinai (I think more than 10, in various conditions)

Don't spend any money buying any of either, I have close to 30 of them, as I mentioned to Rob I used to teach and I kept a fair supply on hand for students lacking the resources to buy their own. I appreciate the offer, and I thank you for it.

Today I will try to rough out the skeleton of the script and I will PM to those interested in being involved. I see no benefit in maintaining secrecy for a project that is essentially open source and we can't own the rights to. That doesn't mean I will post it in a publicly available space though. If anyone interested in helping with story and scripting is in Reading and available during the weeks, we could try to meet for lunch and work from a hard copy. Just putting that idea out there.

-x

18. Patches37

Patches37 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2007
    Hey everyone! This is Chris's friend/writing partner Gia. My brain is sort of fried at the moment so I am not sure what to say but I wanted to drop you all a line and say bon jur!
    so um...bon jur I guess...
    [face_alien_1]

19. Pugglethelesser

Jul 13, 2006
    Hi, welcome to the group. I was hoping for something whitty and funny to come to mind but after 20 minutes of sitting with smoke coming out of my ears, I settled for " Hi, welcome to the group".
    Stacy

20. JediSoccerDad

Aug 12, 2004
    Hello Gia, welcome to the Group!

Pop into the "Reading-Lancaster Roll Call! (Who are you?)" Thread (even though we are Reading-York, lol) & tell us all those little details :D

Rob

21. EighteenDelta

Mar 22, 2007
    One quick note, I got word that I will be getting about $1300.00 for the settlement on the estate. That is all going to go towards equipment and supplies for our fan film. So, in addition to the equipment I already have, that should make a sizable bump in the right direction.

-x

22. Pugglethelesser

Jul 13, 2006
    Chris, throw a date out there for costume/prop building. Maybe we can do it sometime near the end of the month?

23. EighteenDelta

Mar 22, 2007
    I am finalizing a date now and will try to post by the end of tomorrow. I may have a couple of other friends from outside our area come and help with costuming ideas too. So it should be a good time, maybe if the weather is good, we can just turn it into a BBQ/prop/costume party. We shall see.

-x

24. JediSoccerDad

Aug 12, 2004
    Let's use this as the May Meeting!

We'll have a better chance for a good attendance. Also, that will give us time to plan a BBQ/Costumimg Party, which I think is a great idea!

We'll continue the Fan Film ideas on this Thread & I will move the talk on the date for this BBQ/Costumimg Party onto the Meeting Thread.

Chris, since you are hosting, PM me some dates that will work for you in May. Also, coordinate the Costuming ideas with Steph, our resident 501st. She might have some ideas to add.

P.S. I've joined the Carida Academy & reccomend anyone serious about a costume to join.

25. EighteenDelta

Mar 22, 2007
    I have already joined Caridia as well, same handle (eighteendelta). Communication with Steph has unfortunately been sporadic and kind of broken. AIM is probably the easiest way for me to catch up with everyone, since I am usually logged on 9AM-5PM and 9PM or 10PM till midnightish. This Goes for anyone wanting to catch up with me. My AIM SN is Sportwagonracer, note that there is no 's' at the end of sport, it's not sportswagon...

In any case I am working out details, I will post ASAP. I think it shall be a grand time.

-x

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.