main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fan Film Help Needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by TheDirectorGuy, Mar 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDirectorGuy

TheDirectorGuy Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2004
    Hi,

I'm Henry Hoyos. Writer and Director of a very ambitious fan film called Star Battles. We are currently in the pre-production phase and are hoping to begin principal photography soon. The movie is a comedy poking fun at Star Wars in a very interesting way while at the same time having really great action scenes. The reason I'm posting is . . . We have basically every aspect of the film covered except . . . 3D Graphics and Animation!

We need someone who can help us out with the 3d effects and animations, pretty simple things like ship fly by, hyperspace, a pretty small space battle, and couroscant environments. The movie is 10 to 15 minutes long so the amount of work you'll be doing isn't an absurd amount. Of course you'll get all the credit for any work you do on the movie and if our budget allows for it we may be able to send you a dvd of the completed film along with a special thanks to you in the credits.

Please let me know if you're interested and if you can help out in any way! We don't want this fan film to look like a fan film. We want it to look like it came out'a George Lucas' Effects Team! And the fact that it's not a long film means you can spend more time worrying about quality as apposed to quantity!

Thank you for taking the time to read this and please let me know if you can please help out on what is sure to be a great film!

Please email me ASAP at: nimsdk@msn.com

Please provide an email adress and an msn messenger screen name if possible so that we can communicate better and really discuss the movie and effects better. Again thank you so much and I look forward to hearing from you and adding you to our team!

- Henry Hoyos

2. Tech_Krill

Tech_Krill Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2004
    >>>
    very ambitious
    <<<

Aren't they all? Oh, sorry, I used that line too... :p

3. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    Just a tip. Have stuff to show before asking for help. You'll get a LOT* more responses.

*or any. Take your pick.

4. Jymm_Roquand

Jymm_Roquand Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2002
    Has anyone ever stated that they were doing their film half-assed and thought it would be crap?? :p Aren't all films the most ambitious and the best fanfilm ever??

5. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    Has anyone ever stated that they were doing their film half-assed and thought it would be crap??

Not outright, but after people point out how much work is involved a lot of people have then admitted it falling back on the "So who cares? I'm doing it for fun." argument.

6. DarthBane77

DarthBane77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2003
    Hi. I'm new. I'm making a film. I can't make CG, but can someone do this for me? I only want a little bit done. I'm going to make this really super mega tres cool space fight but I need someone to make the ships and animation. Also, I need someone to write my script and help me come up with a plot. If interested, let me know. This fanfilm is going to be the best super mega tres cool sweetness project ever. I'm in pre-production right now, and I can't draw so I'm not going to make storyboards. If I can't get someone to write a script for me, Ill skip that part and wing it when it gets filmed. I'm going to try to find a cool forrest to have a 10 Jedi on 5 Sith super lightsaber fight(all double-bladed lightsabers of course...and new colors like oragne and teal and pink).

-Bane

P.S. yea...that was a joke. :)

7. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    A pink lightsaber. Wow..

--Knee deep in innuendo.

8. Darkwasp

Darkwasp Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 2, 2002
    I can't believe people are still butt heads here. If you can't, or don't want to, help don't reply. I'm sure you guys think this is a place just to show off, but I see this as a place to get information, resources, and gain contacts.

*BACK ON TOPIC*

I know a group that does 3D, Concept Art, and the lot, but they charge. If you want to contact them PM me.

9. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    'Butt heads' has a hyphen.

10. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Of course you'll get all the credit for any work you do on the movie and if our budget allows for it we may be able to send you a dvd of the completed film along with a special thanks to you in the credits.

If the "budget allows" you'll give them a copy of the film????? Gee, how generous [face_plain]

I really suggest you take a LONG while to read through this forum, especially the official film threads, and download at least one of the films here to see how their credits are done.

Jeez, I really can't believe that you would only give someone who did ALL your 3D work (obviously you have NO idea how long this can take) a copy of the film "if the budget allows". Do you expect them to fork out for a blank DVD and return postage if you go over budget? Just to see how THEIR OWN WORK looks?

11. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    Well, since it looks like this thread is attracting the Forum's Classic Antagonists,
    I think I better throw my hat in here while the throwing is still good. ;)

Actually, unless this guy is a sock from a previously banned annoying noob, his post actually seemed pretty sincere.
    Granted, some of his logic needs some work and guidance. But nevertheless, even George Lucas needs to farm out for his CGI work.

I dunno ... you know me, I like to jump all over a clueless noob with the best of 'em. :D
    Something strikes me different about this guy, though.

DirectorGuy .... assuming you are legitimately asking for assistance . . . . . .
    What I would suggest you do is give us a little more scope as to your project. How about providing a three or four paragraph treatment for your project? (pretty standard in the motion picture business). Any storyboards you can share to depict the types of scenes you have in mind? Do you have a website for your project we can check out?

We're a scrutinous lot, for sure .... but once you have our interest and trust, you'll find no better
    wealth of information, guidance and (in some cases) assistance.

JediTAC

12. NitroBlade

NitroBlade Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2004
    I don't understand some people on these boards.

I mean if you have nothing constructive to say, but you just want to bash, then don't reply! If you don't want to see threads like this, then don't read them!

His demands are at least beter than some others on these boards, yet you still bash him.

Can't anyone immagine how he feels? He asks for some help and he get's turned down. We're all one big happy family, aren't we?

Good luck TheDirectorGuy, I hope you find people to help you out. Don't let these idiots discourage you.

However, like one other person suggested, get maybe some storyboards of the scenes you want done. Some visual effects can be done well after the movie has gone through production, so you don't need everyone right off the bat.

It also helps to look for someone in your area to help with visual effects, someone that knows at least a little bit so that they can be on set and tell you what would need to be done to help the visual effects artists. That's the main reason why we have a Visual Effects Supervisor for our fan film.

13. TheDirectorGuy

TheDirectorGuy Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2004
    Uhh, ok a little taken off gaurd but I'll keep my spirits up and keep trying. For those of you who were nice enough to say something constructive and offer your advice . . . Thank you! For those of you who chose to make a joke of what I would like to think was an honest request for help, bravo! You've succeeded in making complete asses of yourselves.

Now, moving along to what I thought these boards were all about, yes I do have storyboards that I can show you guys. I also can write up a summary of the movie if you would like. I am new to the boards so forgive me if I'm a little clumsy in my writing. I would like to take this chance to say that I am completely honest and sincere about this project.

About the DVD's and the budget. . . Yesterday alone I spent over $300.00 on not even half of the costumes. I also have to buy materials to build the set. Not to mention the over $1,000.00 I've spend on props, of which more still need to be bought! I said "if the budget allows" because I honestly do not know if I will have enough money to make myself DVD's for this movie. So yes if I have enough money I will send out DVD's to anyone who helps!

And that's besides the point. I mean, aren't fan films about making a movie that you can be really proud of, and feel good about being involved in a really cool project? When have fan films ever been about making money or thinking about your reward for helping others make a fan film? It's not about that! I mean people make fan films to celebrate how much they enjoy Star Wars! And not only do they not get paid for it, but they give alot of money from their own pocket to celebrate something that they really enjoy! Yeah fan films are alot of work, but they're about having fun and about people working together and making something creative that they can be proud of! And yes, believe it or not, watching their own work!

As for the comedian who decided to write his own story about making a fan film; I am not asking for anyone to make me a script and come up with a plot for me, as I have already done so, and spent alot of time on making it as best as I could. As it turns out I can draw and I have made my own concept art and storyboards which I will be more than happy to send to anyone who can help! So yeah, that was just rude and uncalled for.

Again, I would like to ask for 3D help! I'm not sure how to post the images of the storyboards on here, but if anyone interested can provide an email and MSN Messanger Screen Name, I'd be happy to send you the artwork and storyboards we have, and further discuss the movie with you! Thank you so much for all your help!

- Henry

14. SIUEA_DOOGUAS

SIUEA_DOOGUAS Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 8, 2004
    Best of luck, DirectorGuy!

15. Ishyko

Ishyko Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2000
    Perhaps a better place to look might be some CG forums. That's where we recruited a good portion of the talent working on our movie.

Personally I feel there is nothing wrong with getting others to help out with your film. If you find someone who loves to costume and is good at it and would like to help out, go for it. Why should you have to do it if it's not your strength? Besides, your film turns into a demo piece for your costumer as it's something they can put in their portfolio when looking for work in their field.

Trying to do everything yourself is possible. However, finding people who want to help because it helps them is even better :) PAs work for free on professional productions just to get their name out there and to get the experience. You'll find all sorts of people are willing to help and Star Wars *is* a major pull for folks.

I understand your concern about being able to afford to give everyone a copy of the movie who helps out. Money is always an issue. However, you have plenty of time to save the money for that endeavor. Sock a bit of money away each week towards making copies as a thank you for those who contributed and it will help significantly in getting folks to work for you for free.

And get yourself some waivers. If you're looking to get artists onboard these people are rightfully concerned about their work and retaining rights. Your film is a vehicle to get them exposure. However, protect yourself and your artists by getting written permission from them that you're allowed to use their work in your movie.

One last thing. Please keep in mind that as the director/producer/etc. anyone who volunteers on your project is looking to you for guidance. It's up to you to maintain the enthusiasm, to keep the folks excited and working on the project, to keep them motivated. It's a tough job as the months go on. Especially with CG. Chances are you and your volunteers all have day jobs. It's hard to devote the time to the project and no one will love your movie like you do :) Just hang in there, keep up your morale so that you can help keep up the morale of your volunteers. :)

Good luck! CG is always tricky but there are many, many folks who do this sort of thing that are looking for a vehicle to get their own work seen.

16. FriarStrong

FriarStrong Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 29, 2003
    Don't give up!

Simply the fact that you had '15 to 20 minutes' written in as your time for the movie brought warm feelings to my heart. Come on, guys, he's rational about his movie, he's not suggesting a 14 part trilogy, and you can't really blame him if he doesn't know how to do CG work. heck, I don't know how to do CG work, and I'm sure many of the people here are the same. The fact that he's going out on a limb to ask for help should be praised, not hated. As far as I can tell, the sequence of events is; he gets a great idea for a movie, tries to find a Cg artist, we all laugh at him, he's forced to do what little he can without one, and then when he releases his movie without outstanding Cg work, we all laugh some more.

My suggestion, DirectorGuy, is if you have a truly fine story, send it out to people. With any luck you'll get someone who will respond to it in the same way you or any of your other crew did, and want to help just because they want to be involved with such a cool film. I'm sure there'll be someone out there to help you out.

17. AWB1989

AWB1989 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 3, 2002
  18. diabloblanco17

diabloblanco17 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    *points to sig*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.