main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Orlando, FL Fan Film Ideas - Let's Try This Again

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by AceHoly, Mar 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chewbacca1138

chewbacca1138 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    omg omg that would so awesome!!! I will be the bounty hunter who comes in & buys the jabba!! hehehe

2. JedisDoItBest

JedisDoItBest Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2001
    Heya, i'm in orlando, and i'm a geek, and I have a bunch of video equipment, (Canon XL1s and some more goodies)

Just let me know if you need another camera or a crazy guy hanging around

3. Ruckus

Ruckus Jedi Master star 3

Apr 2, 2002
    Hmmm....

4. chewbacca1138

Mar 12, 2002
    hmmm the goodies are all welcomed! as for crazy guys, we do have a lot of THOSE but one more can't huirt ;)

5. Ruckus

Apr 2, 2002
    hey Darth yxes I thought you were gonna be the hottie capu-chica chick with the metal bikini?

6. Delaya

Delaya Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 26, 2001
    Mayo Solo, aka Mandy, said that she knows some actors. You may want to try contacting her about it. :)

7. Delaya

Delaya Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 26, 2001
    what about the Frappucino Menace
    where Java the Hutt works at a Starbucks and is visited by three force spirits
    and he has this hottie cashier who wears a metal bikini.

Not to toot my own horn, but I've been told I'd look good in a metal bikini. ;)

I'm definetly interested in helping out. I've worked on a couple of fan films before and I learned that LOTS of planning and organization are essential. I also learned that while everyone deserves a say in the final script, there needs to be one person who has "final say" on it. Otherwise you end up with something that looks kinda like a European Union meeting. Lots of people talking and no one listening. :D

8. Ruckus

Apr 2, 2002
    Hmmm.... Stefani in a metal bikini... how soon can we shoot this film? :p I hope you make it to the next Orlando meeting. The Orlando meetings are much more fun then the Melbourne ones. Don't tell the Melbourne peeps though.. Man I can't wait to film the Frappucino Menace... the best fanfilm ever!!!

9. chewbacca1138

Mar 12, 2002
    HAHAHA! Stefani would probably fill out the bikini better than I would...EVER! heheheh

As for the person with the final say, I think it should be Dan considering he's CR AND he's the most calm and passive of the bunch ;) (I still luv the rest of you, don't worry)

10. JediDan

JediDan Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2001
    Calm and passive you say? You've never seen me angry! Hahahahahah(evil Laugh)

My new nickname at work is "The King of Write-ups" if that tells you anything...

;)

-Dan

11. Ruckus

Apr 2, 2002
    You know though- why do we need to film some huge extravaganza as our first picture? I think we need a warm up picture- then work from there?

12. AdmlDave

AdmlDave Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2003
    Now for a quick summary of our availible talent.

Aceholy- 3d effects and mics, Actor hookup
    James- Set builder, lightwave, Photoshop, Premiere, Illustrator
    Dan- Our very own Nick Gilliard and George Lucas
    Stefanie- Music, Acting, Website, Video and Sound productions hookup
    Rebelcommando- Script, "Computer experience"
    Dave- Photoshop, Music, Director's personal slave and coffee man.
    JedisDoItBest- Cameras
    Delaya (Stefani?)- Actor hookup

That's it folks. Ok, so I got bored and this is helping me learn everyone's names. :)
    *Walks off humming "Getting to know you"*
    (I can't remember... Is that "The King and I" or "Mr. Rogers"?)

13. JediDan

JediDan Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2001
    I agree, something a bit smaller to "get our feet wet" sort of thing. Try and find what works and what doesn't work and expand on that.
    Plus it's good practice.

Dan

14. Ruckus

Apr 2, 2002
    Exactamundo! It seems everyone- including me wants to shoot AOTC when we should be filming 'Clerks' or 'Mallrats'

15. chewbacca1138

Mar 12, 2002
    HEY! don't forget us girls can SOW!!! I'm ok at costume making, uh sort of I presume...I CAN SOW AT LEAST...

16. Ruckus

Apr 2, 2002
    sow are pregnant pigs!!! HAHAHA
    You mean perhaps- sew?

17. AdmlDave

AdmlDave Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2003
    Sow... hehe, good times. I imagine I can do a bit of sewing. If I can string a lacrosse stick, I should be able to hold my own with a sewing machine.. Otherwise, I guess I'm stuck doing the grunt work.

Note: By the way I wrote this post, it may sound like I am implying that I am a girl... I am in no way, shape, or form a girl. ;)

18. chewbacca1138

Mar 12, 2002
    ok mock me! I feel stupid now! How did I not catch that?

19. JRHermle

JRHermle Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2001
    ahem...

um... I've got a big and a small idea to work with.

I dunno who would be interested. I mean, I've written and directed a few short student films... nothing big.

The big project has a full script and is a 35-40 minute film, a good amount of actors, locations and SFX needed.
    http://www.geocities.com/xwingfanfilm/
    (It's been a while since I posted it, so I may want to go back and tweak a few things)
    Plot: A rag-tag group of Rebel pilots unearth plans of a conspiracy with the Imperials.

The small(er) project is still somewhat intensive. No script as of yet, but I can chuck something out relatively fast.

Star Wars meets Black Hawk Down
    Plot: a squadron of stormtroopers (might need the 501st Legion's help on that) are dropped into the center of a resistance movement's camp/village, unbeknownst to them that the rebels are more cunning and resourceful then the Imperials expect.
    Benefits: know of quite a few stormtrooper costumes with bodies to occupy them. Rebels can be a mixture of various creatures and clothings. Low on the amount of computer effects needed. Since most of this is planned at night and from the Troopers point of view, the amount of Rebels needed is few.

Anyway... just some suggestions.

Herm
    JRHERMLE@AOL.COM

20. Ruckus

Apr 2, 2002
    I think we should make a Farscape/Star Wars cross over film- I wanna play Dargo. The premise is while looking for a new wormhole home Crichton finds one to another part of the Universe in a galaxy far, far away... This happens well after the events of DS2 destruction and Crichton comes out near Yavin 4... So Crichton explains his situation and is allowed to land his Farscape module at the Jedi Academy- then a shocking discovery occurs- Luke senses that Crichton has some latent Force powers- which is really how he navigates the wormholes- I made that part up of course- so he begins the training and there is a scene where Crichton is wearing a backpack with Rygel on his back. And yatta yatta- we make the rest up.

Oh it's okay Stef-- I don't think you were a sow... but anyone eat sow chow?

21. AceHoly

AceHoly Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 6, 2003
    My suggestion(s) are to either stick entirely inside the Star Wars universe (i.e. no visitations from other shows), or to do a parody.

I've had a few side conversations with some folk here, and we've been tossing around the idea of doing a short about a female agent of sorts - could be Mara Jade, or just someone like her. Sort of Alias in the Star Wars world (not with the characters, but the set-up and the feel).

For me, I'm interested in anything that doesn't require multiple lightsaber battles or double-sided lightsabers or Darth Maul doubles or locations in the woods somewhere or some deep, dark vengeance plot. Those have just been done to death.

I'd love to see something more lighthearted (like the whole escape from the Death Star sequence in ANH) with high adventure, humor, derring-do, and last minute escapes.

Also, to update the "who can do what" list previous - I also have access to a camera, and have professional experience as a scriptwriter, editor, producer and a director.

I'd really like to produce something high quality - which means that it can't be produced like it was someone's home movies. And the earlier suggestion that one person be the arbitor of the script - PERFECT. You can't write or direct by committee. You also don't want to set something up where you shoot things multiple ways or where lines are different just to accomodate certain people. Once the group agrees to a plot, someone(s) need to write it up, offer it to the group for review, then turn it over to the final arbitor where the one final version is locked in.

I've seen other groups try to make fan films or fan radio programs, and they usually fall apart because certain members get upset when they can't have things their way. This is a tricky business, folks, so I hope everyone entering into this recognizes that nothing is personal and egos have to be subjugated to creating a good film that everyone can be proud of.

22. chewbacca1138

Mar 12, 2002
    all i know is that Brandon probably has a lot more fanfilm experience in this than the rest of us combined...maybe he should put something in? (tell them about your sw action figure movies! hahahah)

23. Pikaroth

Pikaroth Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2002
    laugh, and to think, I wanted to keep my experience quiet. You, aside from real-life friends, were the only one to know that. =)

The reason I have posted nothing here (at least in this thread about a fanfilm) is for the simple fact that I am done with all that. Had I never done it before, well, I'd probably be all for it, but I've made too many of them, and it is vastly more difficult to make one than most people think.

Friends and I made our films, and these were close friends that I saw on a daily basis, and even then it was near impossible to get anything done, to find time when we could all be together.

In no way do I want to make it out to be hopeless or even sound rude, so forgive me in advance, but I must say that just talking about it here will accomplish nothing at all. Everyone that does want to get involved needs to meet and discuss this in person. I can see this thread growing to 100+ posts, all the while nothing gets done.

To be honest, there is a *lot* I want to say about the fan film people want to make here, but I have pretty much said it all to Stefanie, and it would take me pages and pages to type it all... everyone would also be very bored. =)

I just think that no one here will ever agree on a story idea, not online at least. It really does need to be done in person, with at least one person (hopefully everyone) taking notes, discussing, and going over things again and again.

Also, I agree in that one person needs "total" control over the story once it is decided. This was not how it was for the films I have made, but again, those were all with really close friends, so it was not a problem. Here, though, it would be. Arguments already started online, and I would hope nothing like that would begin in person.

Okay, I'm done now. The most important thing to do, right now, though, (and others have said this) is get together in person. Forums, chatting, IMs, etc., all of that will, sadly, amount to nothing no matter how good the intentions are; what sould be done is to work on a time and place where everyone that wants to be involved can get together. If that cannot be done, then I would doubt that everyone would find enough time to actually FILM something, too.

Oh, and Stefanie, I suppose I promised to show you the "films" I've done (if you can call them that), so next time I see you, we'll get some popcorn and pop them in. Be prepared to laugh nonstop. I'd say there are no less than 45 or so of our films floating around out there on tape (never put them online or anything like that).

So, then, good luck to everyone, and if anything actually gets made, I'll be the first to download it. =)

Brandon

24. Ruckus

Apr 2, 2002
    Only Stef has luxury to indulge in your creative genius. You know my 5 sec webcam made Lightsaber swinging test is on my website.

25. Pikaroth

Pikaroth Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2002
    That is actually a rather cool clip. I have one that lasts about the same length, using the same software, and it's rather obvious you spent more time doing yours. Nice job.

Brandon
    bwolgast@cfl.rr.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.