main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fan Film Music???

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Safira_Felan, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Safira_Felan

Safira_Felan Jedi Youngling

Sep 14, 2003
    I am currently working on a fan film, and have some questions about music. I would love to use music from existing movies (other than Star Wars), but I know that copyright laws and all that are a problem. I'm not getting any money or anything, and we would put the names of the composers in our credits, but I'm still not sure if I can use that music. Does anybody know TF.N's policy on things like that? I would greatly appreciate any help you could give me!

2. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Some TFN-hosted projects use music from other films - I'm pretty sure I've heard some Gladiator and maybe The Time Machine or something. It's definitely proper etiquette to credit the composers. Otherwise, you could be asked to remove the music at any time, but's probably okay. I'm not aware of TFN's official policy.

-Paul

3. Safira_Felan

Safira_Felan Jedi Youngling

Sep 14, 2003
    Cool. Thanks!

4. Sau-Den

Sau-Den Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    As long as you're not making money it's okay I believe. I mean what's the difference in using it in your fan film then just putting it on some video you made for school? Not really a difference as far as the use of the music goes. I use music from like 10 different composers in my films and I've yet to hear a complaint.

5. junioroverlord

junioroverlord Jedi Youngling

Sep 19, 2003
    If I'm not mistaken, technically if you don't get permission to use the music by the powers that be, you can be sued even if you're using it for a non-profit project. Though it's doubtful they would take the time and effort to do so.

6. Covax

Covax Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2003
    REALLY doubtful that anyone cares, I mean Anime Music videos never use 'original' music and none of those creators have been shut down. Also doubt any movie trailer's been removed for using a peice of unaothorized music.

Heck, I remember a bit where a Marta Sebestyen was royaly pissed that Mixamax used her song 'Szerelem' (the Hungarian love song everyone though was Arabic) in The English Patient and... no one really did anything.

7. Jedi_KNick

Jedi_KNick Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2003
    A fanfilm's a fanfilm, you can use the music.

-KNick

8. skyy38

skyy38 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2003
    Safira,are there no talented composers in your area that can compose music for your fan film?

There has to be.....you should try and seek one out..

9. skyy38

skyy38 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2003
    ...and if you can't find a talented composer..

then talk to me.....

I am sure there is a solution...

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.