main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fan Film script up for grabs

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Mr E, Dec 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr E

Mr E Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 23, 1999
    If anyone's interested in filming a finished fan film script, 18 pages long without written choreographed fight scenes, here's your chance. Obviously, I won't hand it out to the first person who asks, since I'd obviously like someone with some cinematic skill to take care of it. It's easy to see if my work's worth filming, since all that you have to do is read it to see if it's any good. Choosing someone to film it is harder.

If you want to film the script, there's a few necessary elements to keep in mind. First, the three fighters (I hesitate to call them all Jedi) are aged around 15-18, 25, and 40. Two critical locations would be a standard forest with a nearby grassy clearing (easy) and some sort of building that could pass for a sort of palace of any kind (the tricky part). As far as effects go, I'm not asking for Duality calibre skills, but space shots, integrated blue screen shots, detailed flying 'objects', and weapons (lightsabers, blasters) would have to be involved. If you think you can provide those necessities, then we're in business.

I hope I don't sound arrogant in attempting to weed out a director/producer/crew. I'm SOL without someone filming it, I realize that, and (apparently) beggars can't be choosers. However, I'm under the impression that the script (which would probably run around 25 minutes with the fights) is pretty good, so for the moment I can be somewhat picky. For the moment.

I won't post the entire script here, both for space and for secrecy (what a moron I can be), but here's a basic outline: A Jedi Master and his Padawan search for a rogue Jedi, unbeknownst to the Jedi Council, and confront him. I know it's not much detail, but I'm being intentionally vague. SW geeks should love the plot, since it's not just 25 minutes of lightsaber fighting. Instead, it deals with some interesting aspects about the nature of the Jedi. It's currently titled 'Padawan', but that will probably change since there seems to be another fan film under development with that title. (It would have been a fitting name though.)

So, if anyone who's interested could post a link showcasing previous (hopefully Star Wars related) film projects, we could get things started. I'll get my email going if I see something I like. We'll talk.

2. Mr E

Feb 23, 1999
    Oh, and if you're based in Vancouver, BC, then all the better.

3. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Mr E

Mystery

Enigma

Mr. E. Nigma

lol (stupid movie, but I had to do it lol)

4. Mr E

Feb 23, 1999
    Mine's better than that, just so you know. :)

5. Mr E

Feb 23, 1999
    Shameless bump.

6. -Sithcloak-

-Sithcloak- Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2002
    I don't have any much experiance, but I'm up for the challenge. If you email me the script (bradley@hgsnet.org), I'll take a look. If I'm interested I could possibly take a small part of the script, film it, and see what you think of it.

Sithcloak

P.S. I'm assuming that this film is anywhere from 5 to 25 minutes long, what is your estimate on the length?

7. Mr E

Feb 23, 1999
    The 18 pages of written script would probably run around 18 minutes (a page a minute is the general rule) assuming you have decent actors who don't rush lines nor who go 'Shatner' with an abundance of dramatic pauses. Hopefully, that 18 would be upped by a few more minutes through the two key duels, which I would hope would add another five minutes or so.

Have you done anything like this before? I mean, neither of us are Hollywood, but I'd be worried if this was your first time behind the camera.

8. -Sithcloak-

-Sithcloak- Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2002
    I do know how to use a camera, and I've filmed about 5 or 6 fx tests, and a few small features. (I've only had the chance to work on one of the fx tests so far due to the fact that my computer has been missing software up until a month or two ago). I guess I'm not right for the job, but if you want to see what I'm made of you can let me try a 1 to 2 minute portion of your film.

Sithcloak

9. Mr E

Feb 23, 1999
    Actually, I'd love to see some of the fx tests that worked out. Are they on the internet anywhere?

10. guruguy

guruguy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2002
    Hey,
    did I see Vancouver BC mentioned?

I don't have loads of time but if it is made in this area I'll volunteer to do some acting or be an extra.

11. Mr E

Feb 23, 1999
    If it's actually done here in Vancouver, I'm definitely in the damn thing :) . I've been running around the apartment like a madman, swinging around a two foot long staff of wood like a ninja sword or lightsaber while writing the thing. Plus, I'd get to be the good guy, tee hee.

Part of the problem is that I may have gone a little past my own means. The work's not extravagent by any means, but parts of it are just a little too much ... unless it uses a good amount of computer work. For instance, where the hell would I get the outfits, the props, the lightsabers specifically? There's no way in hell I could make them, that's for sure.

12. guruguy

Apr 22, 2002
    I've been involved in the local SCA (medieval society) in the past and had to make a couple costumes and some armor. It's amazing what you can do in the way of costumes just by visiting the local thrift store and buying a tube of "sew easy" glue (replaces the need for needle and thread).

I would think a lightsaber would be pretty easy to make with a trip to the local building supplies store for a pipe or tube. Paint the thing and then glue on some cool looking bits.

You say that the computer work isn't a problem? That's usually the real time-eater. What about a camera?

You might want to check the local Vancouver board. Last I checked it wasn't very active but you might find a few people there who would be keen on helping out.

A local fanfilm would be Awesome!!!!

13. Mr E

Feb 23, 1999
    There are ... local ... boards??

14. guruguy

Apr 22, 2002
    I'm a putz when it comes to figuring out if someone is being sarcastic or not so... just in case you aren't and weren't aware that there is a local message board for almost every region...

Go to
    Jedi Council Forums/FanForceCanada/Vancouver

I just checked. It looks a lot more active than it used to be.

15. Mr E

Feb 23, 1999
    That's disbelief, not sarcasm :) . I'll take a look at those boards right now...

16. Mr E

Feb 23, 1999
    Guruguy, take a peak over at the BC General foums. I'm thinking keeping it local is my best bet. Thanks for the interest, Sithcloak, but for the moment I'm going to try to do it in Vancouver, just because then I can have the kind of envolvement that would really suit me. I hope that makes sense. If no one bites, though, I'll be back :) .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.