main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I.E., CA Fan Film

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Toughie, Jun 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Tommy, I didn't know you could do a Princess Leia! [face_batting]

;)

2. Drgnfyre4

Drgnfyre4 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    More to the point...does Megan know about this?

3. TarikJanis

TarikJanis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 11, 2003
    I would hope meg knows about it since she's the one who wears the leia

4. JawaGen

JawaGen Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2003
    oh I know ;) He's the hottest looking guy in a white dress with the trademark cinnabun hair ;) (the hairy legs really set the look) :D

5. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

6. jdijade

jdijade Jedi Youngling star 2

May 23, 2005
    Whoa, now THERE'S a visual for ya! [face_laugh]

7. Drgnfyre4

May 25, 2005
    Heres an idea we could try to work up, I bet no other Fan Force has its own promotional short. Maybe like a little trailer about us, our outfits and such. Really just a little self promotional fluff piece for fun. Wouldnit require a huge effort and could be used as a practice run at getting a crew together for future film efforts.

8. Toughie

Toughie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    That's a good idea. Not really costly and wouldn't take too much effor all around.

9. Drgnfyre4

May 25, 2005
    Are you going to the costuming party this weekend? We should work on some ideas while you are there if so.

10. Toughie

Jun 9, 2005
    I'm planning on it, if nothing crazy comes up I'll be there.

11. jdijade

May 23, 2005
    Don't forget to PM us for directions if you're thinking about coming to the costuming party! We decided not to post our home address or phone #'s here on the public boards. heh. :cool:

12. Toughie

Jun 9, 2005
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, I ponder why.... *goes deep into thought*

13. Drgnfyre4

May 25, 2005
    Amy,
    Lets make this fan film a reality. I have a major fire lit under me now after having been once again screwed by helping out a fanfilm. Lost two stormtrooper suits to the fan film Prelude to Fate and nothing to show for it but busted armor, once again no role and a lot of resentment. If we can put together a project I will go to the ends of the earth using all of my powers to make it a success because come hell or high water I NEED a project to show I can out act all these half baked weekend wanna bes, and show the difference a fan film can have with an actual ACTOR in the lead instead of someones friend or brother who always wanted to be in star wars.

14. kitchenvixen

kitchenvixen Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 12, 2005
    [face_worried]

15. TarikJanis

TarikJanis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 11, 2003
    Can I wear my armor and in this fanfilm and shoot some people??

**Points E-11 around** HEHEHE

16. Storm_Granger

Storm_Granger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2003
    I love the idea of making a fan film about us! that would be really nifty!

17. Toughie

Jun 9, 2005
    I have no problem putting you in as an actor, as long as you fit the character of course. And I have no problem in giving people the recognition they rightly deserve. But in order to do so, we need an idea for a film. I'm not talking about the "IE Fan Force" thing, I'm talking about the real fan film. And, I need people to really be dedicated to this. It will take a lot of time and effort, mostly in preproduction and postproduction.

For example, in my Padawan Years series, last night I was just working on the latest one and it took awhile because I threw in the hologram effect and lightsaber in there. Now, this series is supposed to be the most stupidest movies you ever watch, they're meant to be done very quickly. Shot within an hour, edited within 1-3 hrs. And after I figured out how to do the hologram effect, it doesn't take much time. But the lightsaber, it is a painstakingly slow process going frame by frame. These little things, editing no one really thinks of, takes a long time and we would need more than just one person to do that. I know a lot of people want to be IN the film or something, but we need a lot of help with BEHIND the scenes.

So, what I'm getting at is let's get an idea. I'm leaving that up for everyone else because for the life of me I can't think of anything. That's just not my field. I never wrote anything in school, never in my free time, it's just not my thing. So until someone comes up with something, we're all sitting around. So, even if some people have a small idea let's hear it. In the first post I gave an idea, and I think the only other person was jade about a parody and that's all people have contributed. So we need more.

And on a side note, I won't be able to make the costuming party, which I had really wanted to go to, one for the stuff I'd probably learn over there, two to meet some of you guys, and three to brainstorm with people face to face. But unfortunately, I won't be able to make it. So hopefully, people can brainstorm about a film without me being there. I hope so.

18. jdijade

May 23, 2005
    I agree that the incident with the San Diego fan film was most upsetting and unfortunate. But Amy's right--bottom line, this thread got started without a strong story concept, and we need one. Actors are like special effects--to quote Lucas, "without a story it's a pretty boring thing."

As it was explained to me, the intent of this film is to try out lightsaber and hologram effects. To write a story that is both compelling and brief enough for that purupose isn't something that just pops off the top of the head, especially with parody eliminated as an option. "Serious" fan films are a much harder sell.

So, we're back to ground zero--we need a story idea that will get people excited about participating, both in front of the camera and behind. :[face_thinking]:

19. Drgnfyre4

May 25, 2005
    Obviously we do need a good story. I will help out behind the scenes to an extent, but I have to say i've spent YEARS helping out behind the scenes on fan films and NEVER EVER EVER get in them cause some young thin waisted talentless up and coming kid always turns up and gets to bring the whole thing down a notch with poor acting skills and absolute lack of talent and lack of dedication.Too many years being a good team player and getting screwed over has force me to put my foot down finally and speak up for what I need to once again be a willing participant in any fan effort. Any film I help write or work on at this point will be written with myself in mind so NO chance of having the part taken away can be done. I havent slep at all last night and have been pouring over the credits of fan films on the internet and talking for hours on chat rooms with fan film makers and have learned 90 percent of the fan films stars were apparently just like me...guys fed up with not getting the lead who HAD to start thier own production so no one could take the part away. So I would of course be wise and write a story and character that would absolutely fit me to T and also show great dialogue to allow obvious evidence of acting talent that no teenage upstart could ever fake.(IE 18 year olds trying to portray 30 something Jedi masters, or 18 year olds trying to be the Dark Knight in a floopy ill fitted rubber suit made for a full grown man.)Fortunately a similar post as this on three other genre related boards has begun to get responses and hopefully offers for auditions will soon follow and put an end to several years worth of resentment and bitter frustration.It is too much work and effort with little pay off to get nothing in return, especially since MY entire goal is to further my OWN acting career and not keep helping make other actors look good on thier own way to stardom of whatever level they can ultimately achieve.I am only getting older and yet one more project or year that goes by isnt going to serve to bring me closer to the ever popular 18 to look younger casting bracket which dominates every aspect of our emaciated rail thin obsessed society.

20. Toughie

Jun 9, 2005
    No no no. Lightsabers and holograms are not a must for this film. Don't limit the mind to try and think of a story to involve those things. I don't remember what I had said to you a few weeks ago, but I hope it wasn't that it needed those things. I thought I said, I'd like to have those things, but they're not needed. First and foremost we can figure out what the story is and THEN what actors and what special effects will be needed.

And the reason I don't want to necessarily do a parody is because I don't feel it's challenging enough. But, that's just my opinion. If I'm outnumbered on that thinking, then I'll go with the majority.

21. Toughie

Jun 9, 2005
    Drgnfyre,

That's fine great and dandy. You want to star in a film, that's cool. So, if you can come up with a story idea, I'm all for it. You complain about previous projects.. I'm sorry you got screwed over.. I'm not them though. I'm just a young student filmmaker wanting to make a fanfilm in her free time. I don't even want to be in it, maybe at most a small no line cameo. I don't have anyone in mind to be in this anyway, so worries of someone taking the role is out of the question. But like I said and you said as well, as long as you would fit the character and be believable in it, that's all I care about. So, if you come up with anything, let me know. Do you have any ideas now? If we have the idea atleast, while someone is writing it, we can atleast work on preproduction.

22. Drgnfyre4

May 25, 2005
    Well here is an idea...there seems to be a wealth of possibilities covering the hunting down and elimination of the remaining scattered Jedi. I am sure that as Boba Fett begins to mature into the Bounty Hunter we see him as in ESB he might have had many encounters attempting to slay the jedi that he must now despise and blame for the murder of Jango. Heck all the characteristic damage to the Boba Fett suit may well have been encurred during pitched battles with Jedi.I know some people in the past have done similar parody takes on Boba hunting jedi, but I dont recall anyone doing a story that was very serious and portrayed both the Jedi and Boba as fierce and deadly as they could be played. It could make for an affordable shoot to set the "hunt" on a forest type planet to avoid costly shooting permits and allow for more free form guerrilla filmaking techniques and help cut down on continuity problems filming around building locations. An added twist would be to see Fett having his hunt interfered with by other bounty hunters to add interest.Of course Fett wouldnt have to be the only character that could fit this mold...I for one felt that seeing Vader in the armor taking on Jedi would be a visually exciting thing. Another reason for this sort of plot being a good idea is that it can minimalize the need for CG ships and help focus on storyline. After all one of the reasons for the sucess and ground breaking look of the original trilogy was born out of lack of money and technology for Lucas to film the vision he has today...no reason for those "limitations" to not be similar strengths for a fan film effort.

23. Toughie

Jun 9, 2005
    That's a good idea. I really do like it! What do other people think?

24. jdijade

May 23, 2005
    When you IM'd me weeks ago you did say your reason for the SW idea was to play around with lightsaber effects and maybe a hologram. Luckily, it really doesn't alter my point either way. [face_good_luck]

I was merely saying what you told Drgnfyre: So you want to make a SW fan film? Fine and dandy. You want 'serious, dedicated' people on board? Get a great story idea (among other things). You want one for free? They're not easy to come by, so here's hoping an awesome idea jumps up which serves your project's purpose and grants you mad success!

Really, no one here has any greater need to help you become a filmmaker than you do to help Drgnfyre star in a film, but we've all been happy to be helpful and supportive of this endeavor because that's what a group does! I do hope that all our members' aspirations warrant the same regard and support.

25. jdijade

May 23, 2005
    It sure has possibilities, though ironically based on a "main character," which was a complaint earlier. The armor-and-helmet ploy could downplay this problem, though. Also, Boba Fett is an immensely popular character, so a tightly written tale with him as antagonist (or even protagonist!) could gain quite a following. =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.