Fan Force Awards 2006 ~ winners announced !!!!

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by strawbary, Jun 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buster726 Jedi Master

star 4
    So the awards are at Wizard World Boston at the end of Sept?
  2. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The location hasn't been decided yet as far as I know.

~Doc_Bev
  3. F16WarBird Jedi Youngling

star 4
  4. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    the only one I would have liked to have gone to was the cauldroncon that just passed. did anyone go to that?

I am leaning towards chiller does anyone go to chiller?

5. neeldawg66 Force Ghost

star 8
    A lot of Philly will be at Chiller.
  6. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    The problem with the last awards as far as location is that the NE is a very large region and not everyone can go no matter where we have it.

I know there would be a large turnout the closer we have it to NYC from the surrounding Chapters.
    I also know that there are a ton of chapters in The northern part of the region who would attend as well if it were closer to them.

I had suggested Dragon Con at one point because I heard alot of people attend there. however most of you have voted to keep it local. :)

I am thinking in all fairness to everyone in the Ne we should move the location around each year in order to cater to the chapters who have not been able to participate yet due to the location.

I know myself I have traveled several hours for several cons and I think no matter where we choose to have the awards someone will have to travel. :(

Alot goes into consideration when planning the awards, however the biggest concern is a venue letting us have one there. As most of you know at EFF we were graciously given a room without charge. Which is hard to come by with any convention.
    The awards are costly in themselves so where ever we can find a venue who will accommadate us would be my vote ;)

If any of you have any information regarding booking a room for our event at any of the cons please PM me :)
    I will in the meantime make a few calls myself :)

7. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Right down we're not planning to make it to Chiller. Although the guest list is rather tempting...

But, between Halloween and getting ready for the DVD release I foresee us being too busy getting ready for those to be able to make the trip down unfortunately.

~Doc_Bev
  8. buster726 Jedi Master

star 4
    Chiller is the closest to me and I'd say NO to chiller. Its just not a good venue for the awards WAYYY too crowded plus getting the space would be difficult. My suggestions are Supermegafest or wizard world boston.
  9. F16WarBird Jedi Youngling

star 4
    That's too far north.

Locate it that far up and it's a safe bet that Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, and Washington DC will not be there. Unless, that's the idea.
  10. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    As Strawbary said it's going to be a hike for most people no matter where it is. Last year it was in NJ which is somewhat near the center of the NE region. It only seems fair to move it around the region to give everyone a chance to attend at least one year's awards. I don't interpret that as purposefully trying to exclude states myself.

Chiller would be the best centrally located upcoming convention, but the timing is just bad for us as we'll be busy with other SW club related events.

We are thinking of attending WWBoston depending on how the finances are after CNSFX and Dragon*Con.

~Doc_Bev
  11. Fluke_Groundrunner Force Ghost

star 4
    The Pittsburgh Fan Force is in the early stages of putting together something at the Pittsbrugh Comicon where all Fan Forces and other Star Wars fan groups will be invited to join us. The Comicon is in April, so if you still need a venue by then I'm sure we could make the accomadations.
  12. BobaChris12 NE RSA & Buffalo, NY CR

Manager
    star 9
    That sounds like a good idea Fluke!
  13. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    We try to get to Pittsburgh Comicon whenever we can. Except when they do silly things like schedule it opposite CIII.

~Doc_Bev
  14. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    Greencat is working on some room information for me and we'll have to see how that goes. I would love to have it there..... :)

I havent seen rox in awhile its time to bust on him for a bit :)
  15. BobaChris12 NE RSA & Buffalo, NY CR

Manager
    star 9

The Northeast grew into quite a big area for fans. It would be ideal to be able to hold the awards at different points in the NE in order to give everyone a chance to participate in the awards ceremony. Those that can afford, both financially and time from work, would be able to still make it to the ceremony, and those that couldn't would still be able to meet people when the ceremony makes it to a place closer to them.

That's quite a big area and a lot of people for one person to speak for. Someone merely suggested a con that is coming up and by no means meant to exclude anyone. Boston is far for me too!

16. F16WarBird Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I never said I spoke for them, did I? I said "it's a safe bet". Please don't put words in my mouth. Thanks! :)
  17. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Be nice to see you too. You can meet my wife finally.
  18. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    I think wherever we hold the awards Im pretty positive it will not be convenient for everyone. Which is why I suggested bouncing it around every year to accommadate everyone at some point. Everyone needs to keep in mind that the region is quite large and we have some smaller chapters in some very remote areas that Im sure would love to attend the awards. :)

At any rate it will not be convenient for all unfortunately I wish it were. there is quite a cost in traveling and cons and hotels as Im sure alot of you are aware of. Not to mention time off from work etc. Its a strain for myself regardless of where it is. However I go where its going to be best overall cost/location/ etc.

Since this is still a relatively new idea and room for improvement can I suggest we handle it like the Olympics? Every time its in a new place having the chapter be the host city. In doing so that chapter would be responsible for securing a room for the awards. Does that make sense? Perhaps holding the afterparty etc ;)

If there is any chapter who are interested in hosting the next awards after Pittsburgh please PM me with con information and ideas etc. I will be happy to review anything anyone sends.

These awards had a great turnout last year and I think it can really grow into something great if we all try to work together in the region. Afterall, we may be miles apart but one thing I have noticed is its a very tight community. there shouldnt be any reason to fight over location etc.

I hope this helps a bit.......

Oh yeh and BTW Rox, um, thanks for the wedding invitation ......oh wait..... I didnt get one ;)

Congrats !!!!!! :)
  19. BobaChris12 NE RSA & Buffalo, NY CR

Manager
    star 9

You're welcome!

[face_peace]
  20. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    So Pittsburgh Comicon is the date/location then?

~Doc_Bev
  21. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    its an unoffical yes ;) Still waiting to hear on the details Greencat is working on. If anyone has any other con information I would be happy to review it......
  22. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Sorry Vic, we ended up having a small wedding in my parents yard. Only about 30 people total. I didn't get to invite alot of people we wanted to.
  23. buster726 Jedi Master

star 4
    I like that olympic idea. I agree some of us are SOO far apart tough to get to everyone! (speaking as a statewide fanforce that is REALLY spread out)

Pitt. comic-con sounds good.
  24. Fluke_Groundrunner Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm glad that Pittsburgh might be the place, but it wasn't my idea. Someone mentioned that a location was needed for the awards while brianstorming ideas for the Fan Force meetup during our last meeting (Rox maybe) and I just relayed that suggestion here.
  25. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    yeh I believe it was terrys idea and kudos to him for offering !!! :)

Greencat has been doing some awesome follow up on this for me and from some of the things we have discussed Im excited and cant wait :)

Keep in mind we are in aug and we are preparing for somehting in the spring. It takes alot of planning to pull it off so if there is a chapter who would like to host it for the next year we should review some locations starting the begging of next year......This way we can announce as well at this awards where the next one will be. :) YAY
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.