NorthEast Fan Force Awards 2006 ~ winners announced !!!!

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by strawbary, Jun 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaChris12 NE RSA & Buffalo, NY CR

Manager
    star 9
    I would be glad to work and host the awards, but there is one problem, we don't have any conventions here! The closest we have are in Rochester, and even those are a hodgepodge of fandoms.

I will do my best to make it to Pittsburgh, if that's where it will be held.
  2. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    For Rochester cons we just have Astronomicon, there've never been any SW guests in the past. If there's an Astronomicon next year (depends on how this year's goes) it'll probably be Fall 2006 so I think that might be too close on the heals of April 2006's Pittsburgh Comicon.

~Doc_Bev
  3. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    I know between the surrounding chapters upstate NY has really grown and the response would be alot larger than one would think. :)

I would love to see the awards at Rochester myself ;)

I think perhaps we need to research some cons in the area and try to have one in upstate NY one year..
    Afterall it will be bouncing everywhere, so why not? LOL
  4. buster726 Jedi Master

star 4
    the supermegashows always bounce around everywhere try emailing them about bringing their show up there. *thinks about shows in NJ and non-really have the space for this yet...
  5. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    I would have loved having the awards at dragon con so we would be ready by spring for comicon for the 06 year but I have heard not many people from the NE attend there, however I still think it will be fun. :)
  6. BobaChris12 NE RSA & Buffalo, NY CR

Manager
    star 9

Do you have any contact info for them? I would be glad to shoot them a line and see what i can do about getting it here.
  7. buster726 Jedi Master

star 4
  8. BobaChris12 NE RSA & Buffalo, NY CR

Manager
    star 9
  9. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    ok I have been going over a few details with Greencat and a good question came up.....

There was a very good response lst year and I feel it will be just as big if not bigger this time around.
    Do we want to have dinner during the awards? Or does everyone want to go to a reception afterwards?

What this means is: if we have dinner during the awards we would have to charge admission at the door for dinner.

OR

you can go to the awards for free and go to an optional reception which will have a door charge.

Personally I think it would be fun to have dinner during the awards so as to be entertained.
    However Im flexible to whatever everyone chooses. :)
    If eveyrone would like I can start a poll ....
  10. Fluke_Groundrunner Force Ghost

star 4
    I think combining the awards and dinner is the best option because it will be cheaper and the maximum number of people will be at both. Plus it's probably easier to organize.
  11. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    I dont have a prob with it just keep in mind dinner is going to be in the 20.00 plus range so not sure how poor eveyrone will be when they go, however, everyone has to eat dinner at some point so... why not ;)
  12. BobaChris12 NE RSA & Buffalo, NY CR

Manager
    star 9
    Dinner wouldn't be bad. I would probably end up paying that much for a meal anyway.
  13. Wildstar02301 Force Ghost

star 4
    Just to let you guys know, Peter Mayhew, Jeremy Bullock, and Temuera Morrison have tentatively signed on for the Boston Supermegafest.
  14. Fluke_Groundrunner Force Ghost

star 4
    Hopefully we can get some Star Wars names to the Comicon!
  15. DarthLucanas Jedi Master

star 4
    I would be fine with the awards where ever they are.
    I kind of liked the location at Empire Fanfest.
    It was a good midway location for most chapters to be able to reach for our region.

16. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hiya Folks,

Well, if it does end up in Pittsburgh, the people who run the Pittsburgh Comicon (Micheal and Renee George) are willing to work with us. They will let us use one of the the large banquet rooms that they have reserved on Saturday night. Since its right at the hotel where the Comicon is taking place, its very conviently located. The Georges also are willing to have Star Wars guests at the Comicon and have had them in the past. They asked me for contact information for any Star Wars guests. (Since I don't have any, that would mean if any of you do, please pass it along). It would be great to have SW comicbook artists/authors/inkers and SW authors there in addition to SW actors. I think they would also be interested in hearing 'requests' of who we'd like to see there (with no promises about who will actually show up) :)

The only thing is that the Pittsburgh Comicon is relatively small compared to many other Cons. Lots of dealers (with some fairly good prices), lots of artists, some gaming and a few panels (mostly meet and greet type) and a costume contest. (Check out the website for all the details). If there was interest, however, I think a few panels on SW related topics could be put together.

17. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    Excellent Work Greencat~!!!!

Guess we need to work on some SW celebs then :)

I know there are several chapters in the NE who have contact info. I will also dust off my address book myself and see who I can get you in contact with...... I have been out of the convention loop for a long time..... *sighs*

Saturday is perfect for the Awards. I will start to gather the awards and the requirements for those. :)
  18. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    So are we definitely going to have the fanforce gathering in Pittsburgh at the Comicon? I'm just looking for confirmation, so I can confirm with the Georges and start the process of figuring out costs for dinner.

19. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    That would work well for us! We always enjoy coming to Pittsburgh Comicon.

~Doc_Bev
  20. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    honestly you have put so much hard work and effort into it sounds like it would really work well for what we need. I say go for it!!!

I know Docbev would love the awards in Rochester this year and I myself would love to see them there as well, however I dont think there are enough SW guests to get enough people there. Perhaps we can shoot for there next year....its something to work on. Thats why I posted this early enough to get feedback and hopefully get a few things going. It does involve alot of planning.

I can only hope that Comicon will book some SW celebs. They have a good track record of doing so and it seems alot of people have enjoyed the convention in the past so I say why not!!!!?!?!?

21. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hiya,

I emailed the ComiCon folks and said we were coming. I told them I would also forward contact info of SW folks, so if you have them, send them to me or you can forward them right to Michael & Renee George at pcomicon@floodcity.net

I'm thinking that some more SW panels at Comicon would be interesting. I'm hoping to organize one on costuming. I'm also hoping to find someone to run one on collecting. Anyone else that would be interested in running a SW related panel, PM me and we'll see what can be done.

22. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I thought the "Meet the 501st/Rebel Legion" panels at Dragon*Con were kind of cool, but I think we'd have to make sure an officer from each was attending before that would make sense to do. I'd be happy to lend a hand with the costuming panel.

~Doc_Bev
  23. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Doc Bev, your help on the costuming panel would be great. We are hoping to do a couple of different fandom costumes (we have SW of course, and LOTR) Do you do any other costumes besides SW?

Any contact information on any guest people would like to see is still welcome! I'm passing along what I get to the Georges.
  24. AT-AT_Commander Force Ghost

star 4
    So did the awards happen or when are they happening? I just started looking here and thought this was a great idea. Ill have to look into next year for us I know but it sounds tottally cool.
  25. BobaChris12 NE RSA & Buffalo, NY CR

Manager
    star 9
    They didn't happen yet. We are int he planning stages for next spring.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.