main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Fan influence on Rogue One and Force Awakens....steering away from the prequels...

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Keeper_of_Swords, Jan 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keeper_of_Swords

Keeper_of_Swords Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I would like to make it clear that I like all of the star wars movies - Rogue One was awesome and The Force Awakens a worthy continuation of the Skywalker/Solo Saga.

Still, I get the impression that because of the ongoing criticism for the prequels the creators of the latest two movies steered away from relating things to the prequels to be on the safe side.

Don't get me wrong...one may tell me - Rogue One was set right before New Hope and Force Awakens after ROTJ therefore it is obvious to have stormtroopers, empire etc etc.

But there are more subtle elements which made me think the above - were there aliens we saw in the prequels in the last two movie? (I don't remember seeing any of them, but please correct me if I'm wrong).

Also it would have made sense if Kylo Ren was a Sith, we never heard anything about the Sith in Force Awakens(though I am aware that this is a personal opinion)

Anyway, I hope we get more connections to the prequels in the upcoming movies - especially how Luke brought balance to the force if we still get dark-side wielders post ROTJ (or did he just bring balance for a couple of decades and that's it? - I could never understand that).

I would like to make it clear that this is in no way a complaint thread - otherwise i would have posted it in the official complain thread. I just want to know other people's opinion... on if the fact that the prequels got lots of negative comments (many people did not like them apparently) influenced the makers of the post-disney starwars movie - Maybe this is just my impression?

2. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    I dunno that Disney/LFL, a company that included Mustafar and Bail Organa in their most recent film, direct references to the Sith (Maz Kanata mentions them, if you don't remember) and Clone Armies in the one before it, and has Darth Maul as one of two main villains on the current season of their cartoon can possibly be accused of "steering away from the prequels".

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  3. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Disney hating on the prequels is a myth.

It would be more true to say we've had directors who love SW getting a chance to make their own versions and these are more similar in tone and visuals to the earlier films. This may seem very different to the new direction GL took his PT movies, but it's not some conspiracy.

Personally I think Disney and Lucasfilm have been very respectful of the legacy to date.

EviL_eLF, DaffyTheWizard and Sarge like this.
  4. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Imo Kylo NOT being a Sith makes sense to the Chosen One's prophecy.. And I don't feel At all the PT is getting looked over/ignored in ... ANY way!

And Coruscant!

5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    There weren't any OT aliens in TFA except a few returning characters either, so that doesn't say anything about the prequels. And both TFA and R1 have plenty of references to the PT.

EviL_eLF and DaffyTheWizard like this.
  6. Torib

Torib Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2016
    I think JJ Abrams was trying to "recapture" the feeling of the original Star Wars that he felt was lost in the prequels. I remember reading a quote of his to that effect. So in that sense I think it's fair to say that TFA was in part a reaction to the prequels and that it was trying to get those OT-only fans back on board. But I wouldn't say that Disney as a whole has been vociferously anti-prequel -- they've allowed Rebels to continue with a lot of PT-era characters and storylines like Darth Maul and Ahsoka. At any rate I think the amount of prequel hate is subsiding now that there are new movies to occupy fan attention and that those who were younger when the prequels came out are growing up and beginning to have more of a say.

Sarge likes this.
  7. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    R1 definitely gave a nod to the Prequels : Bail Organa was a master stroke ,

Disney makes Rebels & that has nods to the Prequels : Darth Maul is now big in that show ,

EviL_eLF likes this.
  8. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015

I don't remember his saying that. He loves ANH more than any other film. While he likes TESB, he doesn't like it as much as ANH because nothing will be on par with that experience he had as an 11-year-old.

9. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Looks like Rebels is slowly morphing into the CW. Lol

10. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    TFA is a segue from the OT - which it follows with a touch of new - into something else in the future episodes: not OT and not PT but ST. RO recognizes the PT and seems to begin to set a more liberated style (not drastically), which is not totally confined by the OT. I fully expect that the upcoming saga films will evolve into their own ambiance while respecting the feel of the OT and dropping references to the PT in both story and expansion of digital effects.

11. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Rogue One had Bail Organa, Mustafar, Juggernauts and the actress who played Mon Mothma in the prequels. That's a lot of prequel references for a film that takes place mere days before A New Hope.

SlashMan, MissJo, EviL_eLF and 2 others like this.
  12. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Many Prequel fans seemed very happy with the nods Rogue One gave to them. From Smits as Bail Organa to the Coruscant background in the Erso flashback? They never felt out of place and needlessly tacked on. It was all thought out very well. In fact, when Bail steps forward from the shadows during the Jyn interrogation and the Force theme plays?? The hairs on my arms were literally standing to attention! Lol A great little moment :)

13. Torib

Torib Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2016
    Here's the full quote I was thinking of:
    “[‘The Force Awakens’] was a bridge and a kind of reminder; the audience needed to be reminded what ‘Star Wars’ is, but it needed to be established with something familiar, with a sense of where we are going to new lands, which is very much what 8 and 9 do. The weird thing about that movie is that it had been so long since the last one. Obviously the prequels had existed in between and we wanted to, sort of, reclaim the story. So we very consciously — and I know it is derided for this — we very consciously tried to borrow familiar beats so the rest of the movie could hang on something that we knew was ‘Star Wars.'”

14. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I have to echo others so far. Rogue One had more PT references than I would have expected and doesn't show a company steering away from the prequels at all in my opinion. While I would love to see more PT alien races appear going forward (especially less-humanoid races like Toydarians, Dugs, etc...), there haven't been many OT aliens around in the new films, either (Again, Rogue One was better about this, particularly with the Twi'leks being on a couple of planets...).

15. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    How did I forget Coruscant? That too.

Jcuk likes this.
  16. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    No, they are not steering away from the PT. Seriously, how can anyone think that after watching RO? This thread is just a burning pile of #### ready for more fuel.

EviL_eLF and Jcuk like this.
  17. OldTimeFan

OldTimeFan Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    For my two cent I enjoyed the prequels and I loved the exotic worlds and the out of this world aliens and visuals.

I was less then blown away with the ideas in TFA the first order and the copy and paste of ANH.
    However TFA was a great popcorn Star Wars flick and it has a great pace and energy to it.

As far as Rogue One goes I really loved it yes sure it had the Empire vs Rebels but the tone was unlike anything we have seen before in Star Wars.
    I do hope Disney has the guts to steer into an original path and leave the original trilogy behind.
    I love the original trilogy but Star Wars needs to move on.
    I will say as far as production values and energy Rogue One leaves the prequels in the dust.
    I always though ESB was the best movie followed by ROTS but I think Rogue One is a tie with ESB now.

Disney introduced a new cast including this toy seller [​IMG]
    K2SO and then they killed them all brilliant move.

Don't care if others disagree with me but TFA was not the best but Rogue one was the return of Star Wars as far as I am concerned.

New Star Wars does not need to dig up the prequels and it should also leave the original trilogy behind and establish and identity of it's own.

Unkar's Muffins likes this.
  18. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Rogue One is a shining example of how the era of the prequels will be referenced if?, and when?, the core story of the film requires it. Rogue One accomplished that very adeptly

19. Jair Crawford

Jair Crawford Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2012
    You have a point with TFA, I noticed it with that movie. With Rogue One, I felt the exact opposite. I was VERY pleasantly surprised to see that glimpse of Coruscant and an entire scene on freakin Mustafar. I was worried after TFA that we might not ever see such places again but Rogue One changed that!

OldTimeFan likes this.
  20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, we really don't need this, It'll go nowhere good. Locking.

TCF-1138 and EviL_eLF like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.