main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ON Fan-made Star Wars novel

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Darth_Yeroc, Jun 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Yeroc

Darth_Yeroc Jedi Youngling

Apr 26, 2001
    What's up? 2 years ago, I thought up a Star Wars story about the very first peorson ever to go to the dark side. I've tried to write it a couple times, but every time I start, a couple days later I give up to find something else to do. It's just the kind of person I am, I lack initiative and will power. So I was thinking we could make a Fan-made book. It's kind of like a "Tales of Jabba's palace" idea, with a twist. Anyone who wants to can sign up, and each person who signs up will be givin a chapter. If enough people sign up, every chapter could be written by a different person. I would provide the story and characters (seen as I've been working on the book for 2 years). Each chapter by itsself is NOT an origianal story though. It's just like a normal book, all the chapters go in a row. Each writer would have to consult with every other writer, because you cant have chapter 6 end with someone at one place, but have chapter 7 start off with him in a completely different place. So, if anyone wants to help out, we could make a pretty good book. I wouldn't write anything, but I would edit it all, and I would make sure th final product flows. So, anyone want to help? I will provide details later if people are interested.

2. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    Why not use this as a platform for a fan film. We could make a "trailer" for the book. Send me what you have and we will vote on it at a future Y.J.N. event or meeting.

3. td741

td741 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2000
    Yeroc, I don't think it'll work with concurrent people working on chapters. It'll be a nightmare to coordinate and fix. And then who's right, who's wrong, who do you adjust.

I think it might be best to get people together, figure out the basic story arc and which "sections" a person would write. Then have the chapters written in a sequential manner. Have someone write chapter 1, then person working on chapter 2 can read chapter 1 before working on his chapter, and so on and so forth. Every chapter gets written after the preceding one is finished, and the story gradually comes out.

I'd then suggest that anyone else working on the story should possibly act as editors. Make sure the chapters follow the same style and are continous, and suggest ideas if someone has writer's block, or if it seems cool.

Mind you, this will require teamwork and some pre-determine way to quickly settle any disputes brought on by artistic differences. ;)

Another thing is you could also have some sort of contest. Have a group suggest a story arc, and then have people write several versions of chapters and have participants or readers vote on which chapter/chapters they prefer. (Still in a sequential order.)

These are just suggestions. ;)

I'd really love to see it come to fruitition, I just don't know if it'll take more effort to coordinate the thing then to write the whole story yourself.

If motivation is what you need, you should post the story online and have people bug you for the rest of it. :p You can try and make a schedule and stick to it and regularly add parts of the story.

Anyway, just suggestions.

4. BobaFett_YJN

BobaFett_YJN Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    About the book, i think too it would be a tough effort, were you thinking of publishing it (thats way far ahead), because that could be hell. I believe that we, as a team, could pull off writing this, we should talk more at the next meeting.

Darth_Yeroc, were you at our last YJN meeting at Montabello, or did you just join us recently?

5. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    Hello All,

I had a very good conversation, on the phone, with Darth Yeroc last night. I fully understand his intentions with the book and I also see it being something to be discuss at a future meeting. Have any of you read Tales From Mos Eisley Cantina? Each "chapter" is an independant story. Writing a "chapter" for a proposed book is the idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.