main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fan Violence in Sports

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by ferelwookie, Sep 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    It's a sad thing, but it often seems that people feel they can behave like animals simply because they pay for a ticket to a sporting event. It's bad enough to see players fighting each other on the field or brawling on the diamond, but it's sad to see GROWN MEN throwing beer bottles, padlocks, or anything else they can on the field or ice, because they didn't like a call by an offical or didn't like the outcome of a game or play.

I am a huge NFL and NHL fan, and YES, I enjoy a good "clean" fight in hockey every now and then between a couple of guys. But, incident like the beer bottle throwing last year in Cleveland in the Browns game was disgraceful. It's sad that adults behave this way in front of their children. Forget about athletes being "role models" and acting like fools on the field...a PARENT should be every child's role model IMO. And to see a parent behaving like an unruly thug over a GAME is truly sending the wrong message about self-control.

A large reason I wanted to start a thread about this is due to this latest, and pretty extreme incident of fan violence, in last night's Kansas City Royals/Chicago baseball game. A FATHER and SON, stormed the field and began beating the Royals 1st base coach! Thankfully, his players came to his aid and beat the crap out of this trash in his defense. Read this article to see what these p.o.s's did: Royals coach attacked Here's another report on this incident from Espn: "Fans" assault 1st base coach

What the hell is wrong with some people today? Is it even possible to go to a sporting event without some drunk moron threating or creating a violent or disruptive situation? I am all for "getting into a game" and even being loud (we aren't in church ya know!). But, why does it seem that so many people today are taking sports to such extremes? What can be done to prevent terrible behavior like what happened in Chicago last night from happening again?

2. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    That's one reason why I never get front row seats at sporting events. You never know when a brawl is going to be let out. It is nutty, seeing a bunch of full-grown men beating up on one another because of some game. Some people take sports WAY too seriously. It's more than just a game to them. Almost like some kind of war; fans take it personally. It's just a game, not the tablets up on the mountain.

But--I suppose maybe even SW fans or Trekkies would act the same way if thrown onto a field with one another. Never know.... :p

3. Red-Seven

Red-Seven Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 21, 1999
    Dude, you've never watched a football game in another nation, have you?

4. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    It's really sad, i know, there is no use for violence in sports. Fanship shouldo nly go so far.

5. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    It's really sad, i know, there is no use for violence in sports. Fanship should only go so far.

6. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I'm a basball fan and futbol (not American, REAL futbol) fan myself, and I will say that it is pathetic how most sports fans can be.

It's quite funny. They start fights, after game riots, flip over cars and go to games half naked and covered in paint... yet society calls SW fans freaks for just lining up or dressing up for the movie.

Kind of funny.

7. Rikalonius

Rikalonius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2001
    It is mainly sad because most people are there to watch the game. I've gone to many a pro baseball and hockey games and I can drink my beer and not be tempted to jump in the penalty box with Ti Domi.

These guys in Philly are career thugs. I think the Royals were awful nice to them, because when I saw them get put in the squad car, there was no marks.

I think the Royals should have given them something to think about. If someone came into your office and started attacked your boss, well most of us wouldn't care, but you'ld be within your rights to aggressivly negotiate with the assaliant(s)

8. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    These guys in Philly are career thugs.

Hey, I'm not a career thug :p.

Peace,

V-03

9. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Hey!

Yea! Philly represntin' here!

Not a career thug.

:p

10. sleazo

sleazo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2001
    it was chicago.

I wonder what could have provoked a man sitting with his child to encourage and join his son in running on the field and attacking the coach. What a piece of trash.

Still it is nothing compared to some of the soccer riots i saw while living in europe. Now that is some crazy stuff.

11. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I agree with Red-Seven
    You guys need to have a look outside the US to see what sport associated violence is.

It should play no part in sports at all. I'm impressed that they fans are mixed inside stadiums in America - in every other country, especially with football, the crowds are always separated - I can't begin to imagine what would happen if they were mixed together

M

12. ferelwookie

Oct 4, 2001
    What do you mean by "mixed"? You mean fans of opposing teams are sometime seated next to each other?

In most major U.S. team sports, NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB, the fans are "mixed" I guess, but I assume that MOST times the home team obviously comprises at least 90% of the seats. Having such a ratio doesn't make it advantageous for the 10% to "start trouble" and the 90% probably wouldn't ever see the 10% as a serious threat in anyway. There's fights between fans occasionally (I used to see quite a few between Boston and Montreal fans in the NHL), but they are usually the exception of drunken morons. Most times, the worse thing a home crowd will do is boo a visiting fan in their building.

The Europeans (and MOST of the world) are completly retarded with their behavior when it comes to futbol (soccer here). This is ONE case where I believe Americans are actually BETTER behaved than most of their counterparts around the world. Of course, most Americans I know could give two hoots about soccer anyway! :p

Here's a newer, rather amusing article on that incident in Chicago last night: Jerry Springer Moment

13. Kessel Runner

Kessel Runner Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 10, 1999
    But it's almost more troubling than the soccer riots because of how it stands out in its uniqueness. And, because they attacked an individual who has so little impact in the way the game turns out. I mean, if you were stupid enough to attack an athlete or a coach, why would you choose the first base coach?

14. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    yeh, by "mixed" I mean opposition fans in the same enclosure.

It never happens in Europe for football matches. Although interestingly at every rugby match I've been too the crowd are mixed, and you never get any problems (all the violence is on the field)

I'd like to add that we're not "retarded" though, its only a small percentage that get media attention - its not a huge problem.

Take my country for example - (Scotland), we are renound for getting along very well with opposition supporters. We go to competitions to have fun and meet new people (and we don't seriously think we'll win, so we don't get aggresive when we lose).

I remember footage of Scottish fans in Sweden years ago dancing in the streets with the Swedish fans after we'd played them. I also remember seeing Scotish guys dancing and sing with the Brazilian supporters after they beat us in World Cup 98.

Really, its a small percentage that spoil it.

M

15. ferelwookie

Oct 4, 2001
    Sorry about that. I didn't mean to imply that ALL Europeans are "retarded", I'm just saying when I hear stuff about stands collapsing and HUNDREDS being hurt and dozen being KILLED, it seems that the mob-mentality in Europe is somehow even WORSE than in the U.S. (And mind you, I don't have a very high opinion of most Americans when they huddle in large groups). Personally, I don't think MOST Americans get that much "into" their sports to have the kind of HUGE group negative reaction on the scale that sometimes happens in soccer. This is just ONE of the RARE times when I think Europeans come across as MORE retarded than Americans...a pretty big task to accomplish! :p Sorry if my comments came across as offensive.

"If your going to attack someone...why pick the FIRST BASE COACH?!" LOL! I busted a gut after reading that post! :D So true! The 1st base coach has so little bearing on the game...why not assault the bat-boy? :p

16. SCOTSSITHLORD

SCOTSSITHLORD Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2002
    MalkieD2 makes a fair enough point, but there's a serious limit to his image of Scotland. Yes, the tartan army, of which I'm an occasional member, are extremely good natured, a bit boisterous but harmless and welcome virtually everywhere. However in club football Scotland has a huge problem, the Old firm of Celtic and Rangers.
    There is rarely any major riot inside the grounds nowadays, though that owes more to a huge police presence than anything else, but all that's happened is that the trouble has been shifted elsewhere. In recent years there have been pitched battles across Glasgow following decisive Old firm matches. There are too many idiots following both clubs who seem determined to bring the troubles of Northern Ireland into Scotland.
    And recent events at a Luton town match in England prove that the hooliganism problem south of the border is alive and kicking. In Britain, and across Europe from what I've read, a large part of the problem seems to be the infiltration of far right, neo nazi groups into football. Certain clubs are notorious for it in Italy, and Millwall and to a lesser extent West Ham both used to be plagued by these individuals, who were at the heart of most of the trouble involving followers of the English national team.

17. JediOverlord

JediOverlord Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2000
    This is why I'm not very crazy about sports. What really gets me is when people shout "We won!" when their favorite team wins. No,you didn't win. They did. Are you a playing member of that team? You're not? Then shut up.

Sun_of_the_tear,you're so right. Who's the more crazy,a half-naked guy who decorates his entire body in his favorite team's colors in sub-zero temperatures,or someone standing in line for a movie dressed as a Jedi Knight?

18. DARTHPIGFEET

DARTHPIGFEET Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2001
    Well just look at the way the two idiots look who attacked the first base coach.

Low life scum who have no business being there to begin with. If I had been one of those ball players I would have made it my civic duty that one of them didn't walk away in handcuffs. More like a stretcher and medics all around. That was totally un-called for. Those two idiots were lucky they were taken to jail.

19. ferelwookie

Oct 4, 2001
    Agreed, JediOverlord. I think the "geek" dressed in line dressed as a Jedi is much less of a "threat" to other's than a fat drunk guy who paints himself blue at a football game.

Like I said, I really like some sports, especially American football and hockey, and I admit I DO get into the games (and sometimes even yell and clap at my t.v.) [embarassed face], but I would never be beligerent or threatening at a game and ruining the experience for others.

Also, I think ALL of the major sports should look into banning alcohol at events...seriously. If you look at 99% of these extreme incidents in the U.S. at least, it involves morons (who would probably be morons ANYWAY) who's inhibitions have dropped due to a high B.A.C. It still amazes me how many GROWN MEN (and it's almost ALWAYS men) can't behave themselves with a little booze in their system. I have always been a very fun-loving drunk, and don't understand why these guys feel the need to take out all of their rage and frusration after a few drinks. I seriously think that leagues should "experiment" to see if "sober" games would improve fan behavior. It's sad that adults sometimes behave this way, maybe this is one way of detering it.

20. Jarik

Jarik Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 21, 2000
    If I was one of those players I'd be scared to death and I'd be tackling anybody I saw as soon as they got 1 step onto the field.

Beware Stupid Fans who like to jump the wall just to run around the bases, I'm gonna take you down and pound you cause you might be coming after me and I'm not risking it.

There is really something wrong with these guys. The Royals did a great job, but I wish they worked those 2 guys over a little more.

21. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    Things like what happened last Thursday used to happen semi-frequently when wCw was in existence. Fans would become so enraged at a wrestler, they'd storm the ring, trying to take action against him. They'd be met with a swift beating, comprised of kicks to the skull, chokes, and the like. People need to realize that they are there to watch a sporting EVENT, one that will not sway the balance of Nature---It's just a game. I love the NHL and NFL, and watch both as much as possible, but in no way do I get to the point where I feel it necessary to kill Darius Kasparaitis for scoring the GW goal in the 2000 playoffs against my Sabres. Admittedly, I was pissed, but I didn't feel that I need to get on a plane from CA to find and kill him.

The biggest regret I have from last week's attack on the 1st base Coach were that the White Sox 1B didn't help out, nor did any of the Royals players who came out of the dugout bring a bat, or 2, or 3........

22. DarthPhelps

DarthPhelps Jedi Master star 5

Jan 31, 2002
    What really burns my biscuits is when I hear stories about parents being violent and aggresive at little league baseball games, or at high school football or basketball games.

Do you recall the incident some years back about the mother of the cheerleader in Texas? I do not remember the details, myself unfortunately, but I think a Television movie was made about it.

When parents trip out over their kids like this it is very sad. Talk about being a poor role model.

23. EnforcerSG

EnforcerSG Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2001
    Ok, you all seem to think it is a bad thing, fan violence (it is IMHO one of the dumbest things ever). What should be done about it?

24. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Well...a previous poster recommended alcohol NOT be served at sporting events. Thats a good start.

But, on the flipside...if alcohol is not served during the game, you'll just see more people swilling beer in the parking lot before the game.

I heard a guy on the radio who had a decent idea. On every adult ticket...there would be 2 or 3 "beer vouchers". Every time you purchase a beer, the conceesion would punch a hole in one of these "vouchers" After you had your 2 or 3 beers, you could not get any more.

A good idea...but there are probably sneaky ways around it though.

25. DARTHPIGFEET

DARTHPIGFEET Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2001
    Well not only do you ban alcohol from the stadium, but you also prohibit any alcoholic consumption in or around the stadium where the game takes place. That means the parking lot and a 1000 yards from the parking lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.