main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fan Violence in Sports

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by ferelwookie, Sep 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red-Seven

Red-Seven Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 21, 1999
    and you are willing to take such draconian measures based on WHAT body of evidence? really, it's not that much, and you are willing to impose government and regulations and puritainical rules on thousands of other people.

2. DARTHPIGFEET

DARTHPIGFEET Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2001
    Well if you have ever been to a sporting event you would see that not selling alcohol and banning it from around the area the sporting event is taking place is for the best. I mean I'm all for a big tailgate party before and after a game. Hell I've been to enough FSU games in my time to know you can have plenty of fun without the beer and hard booze.

Plus it's a safety issue. You have depending on the size 40 to 100,000 people watching a game in the stands and lets say 50% of the 100,000 are or were drinking before, during and after the game. That is 50,000 people who shouldn't first off be driving.

I mean I personally don't like it since no matter where I sit, it could be in the front row or in the nose bleeds I always get the mean drunk or the idiot sitting around me. Say I have kids with me and such who just want to go to a sporting event as every child should be able to without some guy shouting cuss words, spilling his beer on them or vomiting during the game.

3. EnforcerSG

EnforcerSG Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2001
    A ton of prevention for an ounze of cure

Most ppl who drink durring a game, although maybe loud an annoying, dont do any real damage. Not to mention it does nothing for over zellus parrents beating each other up at a kids local game.

We need some way to wead out the idiots without punishing those who are actually responsible.

4. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Thats a good idea Pigfeet. Banning all alcoholic beverages in the stadium, parking lot, and 1,000 feet from the lot...

But....

How are you going to enforce it? It would problematic to try and stop everyone from having beer or whiskey in or around the lot.

I know from personal experience, there are 1,000 ways to smuggle booze into a stadium. I am a loyal follower of my beloved WVU Mountaineers. I do drink a few beers before the game...after the game is over...as far as the eye can see you will find empty beer bottles, whiskey bottles, beer cans, etc lying between the bleachers.

Its like a big dam with one leak in it...as soon as you plug that leak, another one appears. Only solution I could think of that would completely 100% stop it is by calling the games. And then you would have riots. Its a no-win scenario. :(

5. DARTHPIGFEET

Jan 24, 2001
    I know you will never be able to stop everyone but this is how you enforce it.

Have some extra security and law enforcement at the events.

Then first off be on the look out for people who look like they all are not there. Trust me you can find the guy or girl who has down JD and some beer before or after the game.

What you do is charge people for public intoxication, and since there is no alcohol allowed within 1000 yards and your drunk then it's obvious you have been drinking within the area so your are nailed with a fine and a court date, or just a fine. Hand them out like speeding tickets and people will get the message that drinking will not be allowed and that you are risking a fine and depending on the situation possible jail time.

Anyway just better and more strict enforcement will help cut down on this.

6. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    I know there's a few stadiums (in the NFL for example) that actually have jails IN THEM. I know Philadephia (at least USED to) have a jail somewhere within the stadium to immediately deal with violent/very intoxicated folks.

I just think it's sad that so many fools just can't go to a game and enjoy themselves without ruining the experience for others. Thankfully, I think they are in the miniority. Sporting events should bring people together (even of opposing teams...sometimes!) due to common interests and the love of the game. I love the teams I do, but certainly would not get violent, because they lose or someone else hates them. I think people sometimes use their teams, and a few drinks as an excuse to take out their frustration or whatever, on others.

7. Red-Seven

Red-Seven Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 21, 1999
    The Vet in Philly has a courthouse and judge in it, to arraign and process unruly fans immediately. That modification actually had a big effect.

8. Devilanse

May 11, 2002
    Now THATS a deterrent. A court and a jail in the stadium. We could use one here.

Pigfeet. You say more guards or cops to keep an eye out for boozers. Thats a good plan. But theres always the human factor.

2 Years ago, myself, my best friend, and a comely female aquaintance of ours attended a WVU Football game in Morgantown, WV. My friend and I drank our beers while we were grilling in the parking lot. Our female cohort (who is a hopeless drunk) wouldn't be satisfied with just a few beers before the game.

She decided to sneak beer into the stadium. We warned her of the security personell who search people going into the field. She said she wasn't worried about it. Boy was she right. She stuffed her jacket with as many cans of beer as she could hold. It was ridiculous. You could see the shape of cans on the jacket.

We walked to the stadium. Sure enough...my friend and I are searched. When its her turn, the security guy just punches her ticket while gawking at her. No search. She just breezed through the gates with 7 or 8 beers on her.

Its a good thing she wasn't planning on blowing up the stadium, eh?

9. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    Wow. That's kind of scary. I guess these guys at the gates just really don't take their jobs or the security of thousands (including THEMSELVES) too seriously. The apathy in this country sometimes is overwhelming. [face_plain]

10. Devilanse

May 11, 2002
    You know it, Feral. But, there is little that a hot chick can't over come, right?

11. DARTHPIGFEET

Jan 24, 2001
    Well since Sept 11 I think it's been common practice now to search all bags and such which has helped, because I've seen people brink an arsenal of booze to the stadium. It was an open bar in the guys back pack.

Anyway I think if you have more authorities in eye sight and such and you see them watching it can't hurt. You can't get everyone, but you can at least get the obvious ones and some of the sneaky kind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.