main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Idaho FANCLUB CHRISTMAS PARTY - SEE THIS THREAD FOR DETAILS

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by QUIGONJINN02, Nov 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QUIGONJINN02

QUIGONJINN02 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2003
    NBO GANG:
    Hey all! Well, it's going to be that time of year before we know it, so I'm planning our first real Christmas party as a club. It will be a completely SW oriented party and will include all your favorite SW foods and beverages. I will need help though with this endeavor for it to be a fully creative success. I will be e-mailing everyone what is expected of them to bring. For example, I may ask you to bring a "Jawa Salad." It is up to you to discover what that means, looks like, and how it is SW related. This leaves creativity in the hands of all our members. Please make sure your entree's are edible though...when I say bantha poodoo I don't mean the real thing!

LOCATION: This will probably be at my Dad's house although that has not been put in concrete yet. Keep checking here for updates.

TIME: Depending on whether we morph this into our monthly meeting as well as a party, it will be either starting early to get official meeting business out of the way, or later like 7 or 8pm. More to come.

DATE: Well, this depends on all of you. I'm going to post a poll as well as send out an e-mail. The date will be official once I've heard back from every member.

ACTIVITIES: Of course there will be plenty of activities but I need the club members help here as well. Any SW related activities and ideas are welcome and I'd love to have input from everyone...yes everyone. Meaning I want to see some posted ideas. We have plenty of time to get those ideas out. I'd hope they would all be submitted by the first week of December so that I have time to plan the party accordingly.

Thanks everyone! Don't forget who your Secret Santa's are and if your not sure, PM either me or CmdWilliard. Please keep the spending under $6.
    The Force is US, always!

2. QUIGONJINN02

Mar 29, 2003
    Well, this party will officially be at my dad's house. The date is still up in the air seeing as I've only heard back from one member. Please let me know gang...thanks!

3. darthanalisa

darthanalisa Jedi Youngling

Sep 12, 2004
    What kind of food do you want me to bring?

4. QUIGONJINN02

Mar 29, 2003
    Well, I'm still trying to figure out different "Star Wars" recipes to do. So I'll e-mail you with a specific food, like a main dish let's say, and I'll call it Krayt Dragon Dish. Whatever you think that is you bring it....this way we have all kinds of fun creative foods that are "Star Wars related!" But that's not what I'm assigning you, that's just an example. I'll let everyone know by the first week of December. Thanks!

5. MalcolmTolemac

MalcolmTolemac Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 6, 2002
    go to the library or look for SW cookbooks online. there should be about two or three of 'em out there.

6. danbinks

danbinks Jedi Knight star 2

May 6, 2004
    I'm already on it!

There are two Cookbooks and a Party book.
    The frist book ("Wookiee Cookies") came out in '98.
    The second one ("Darth Malt") came cut out 2000.
    The Party book came out in '02.

I spent many hours today, looking for these at the Book stores. Not surprizely, I did not find anything.
    I am going to try online next.

7. QUIGONJINN02

Mar 29, 2003
    Hey, thanks for taking the time Dan. It's most appreciated!

8. MalcolmTolemac

MalcolmTolemac Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 6, 2002
    Yup, those we're the ones I was thinking about. I'm surprised you haven't found them. I'm guessing you tried Barnes and Noble. They should still be in print. I actually have the Party one. It's really good - my wife used some of the recipes for my SW themed 30th birthday party. It was awesome - have fun and good luck.

Sure miss hanging out with you guys.

9. Idaho_Vorkosigan

Idaho_Vorkosigan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2003
    http://members.aol.com/banthamilk/recipe.html

try this website for lots of SW recipes.

10. danbinks

May 6, 2004
    I looked at Barnes & Noble and Borders. I also looked at hastings today. But I did not think they were in print.

11. QUIGONJINN02

Mar 29, 2003
    Thank-you Idaho....most appreciated!

EMERGENCY!
    Hey gang, the party will NOT be at my dads house! He's selling sooner than I expected and we're out of luck. So, if anyone wants to volunteer to have it at their place or has any ideas of where we might be able to have it, please let me know in this thread A.S.A.P. Thanks!

12. danbinks

May 6, 2004
    I don't know how much this will help.

From the Galactic Phrase Book & Travel Guide
    by Ben Burtt:

pages 36-37:
    FAVORITE HUTTESE FOOD AND DRINK
    To drink:
    -Boga Noga
    -Gardulla
    -Tatooni Junko
    -Yatooni boska

All the above are mind-relaxing, to say the least. Two decanters of Boga Noga are enough to desensitize a squad of stormtroopers for the evening. Boga Noga also makes a great engine flush if poured directly into the fuel overflow valve of your speeder.

To eat:
    -strained keebadas
    -mubasa hock
    -braised fork tarts
    -scurrier tips (very seasonal)
    -hot chubas
    -sand gizzars

Hutt cuisine is somewhat casual, with bowls of the above brought in and devoured in random order amid a spray of drool. Utensils are optional. I would recommend gloves, however. Sand gizzars are quite abrasive, and the thorns on a fork tart can be painful.

page 53:
    How To Deal With Ewoks

Politely refuse any bark lizard, it seems to cause involuntary tooth rash in most humans.

page 98:
    VISITING THE GUNGANS

Gungan food is extremely bitter and sulfurous... especially their favorite, gumfish.
    (There is also mention of "Ribs of Bantha")

It is a Fun book, to say the least!

13. danbinks

May 6, 2004
    I remembered today that there was a Star Wars Christmas album. Jon Bon Jovi sang. It came out, I think, in 1980 or '81.
    I know it was on CD in the late '90s, because I almost bought it at The Art of Star Wars exibit when it was at the San Diego Musem of Art in '99.
    Any chance someone already has it?
    otherwise, I am going to look for it on ebay.

14. QUIGONJINN02

Mar 29, 2003
    I know I don't...thanks for all your help Mr. Binks!

15. danbinks

May 6, 2004
    If you havn't found a new location the Christmas Party yet my house is avilable.
    My Mom is very gun-ho about the the idea.

16. Idaho_Vorkosigan

Jan 8, 2003
    Actually, it's gunG-ho:

"Most of us are not aware of it today, but the word gung ho has been in English only since 1942 and is one of the many words that entered the language as a result of World War II. It comes from Mandarin Chinese gnghé, ?to work together,? which was used as a motto by the Chinese Industrial Cooperative Society. Lieutenant Colonel Evans F. Carlson (1896-1947) borrowed the motto as a moniker for meetings in which problems were discussed and worked out; the motto caught on among his Marines (the famous ?Carlson's Raiders?), who began calling themselves the ?Gung Ho Battalion.? From there eager individuals began to be referred to as gung ho. Other words and expressions that entered English during World War II include flak, gizmo, task force, black market, and hit the sack."

Now, having looked that up.. I'm curious if that's where lucus got the name for Gungans... since ultimately they had to work together with the Naboo.

-Idaho-

17. cmdrwillard

cmdrwillard Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 6, 2003
    Very Cool. That very well could be the origin of the name of the Gungans.

18. danbinks

May 6, 2004
    First, Sorry about not using a better word to discribe my Mom's enthusiasm for hosting this Christmas Party.

Second, "Gungan" is what Lucas' son, Jett, called big machinery on the set.

19. danbinks

May 6, 2004
    From the Star Wars Encyclopedia page 255.
    ryshcate:
    A dark brown Corellian sweetcake... It tastes a bit like a cross between a rum cake and a brownie, and is filled with vweliu nuts...

My Mom thinks she can make this!

20. Idaho_Vorkosigan

Jan 8, 2003
    Well, maybe that's where Lucus's son got the word from :)

21. QUIGONJINN02

Mar 29, 2003
    Dan, seeing that you have been the most creatively enthusiastic about this party, lets go ahead and have it at your place. If your mom truly is "gung-ho" for the idea, than that's even better! Tell her thank-you by the way. Please give me a call so we can coordinate this better and make sure on the times and date. Thank-you very much Mr. Binks. Since I haven't heard back from everyone, I'm just going to assume everyone can make it to this event. Once I've worked out everything with DanBinks here, I'll send out a more detailed e-mail informing people of what to bring and times and such. Thanks much!
    And don't forget: COSTUMES AND REQUIRED! SOMETHING SIMPLE WILL DO FINE! THANKS!

22. cmdrwillard

Apr 6, 2003
    If you two need any help at all, let me know what I can do.

23. QUIGONJINN02

Mar 29, 2003
    Let's plan a time to put your costume together.

24. cmdrwillard

Apr 6, 2003
    Let us know what to bring too.

25. QUIGONJINN02

Mar 29, 2003
    I'm on it....
    Ok, I'm starting a new thread to officially post our next meeting time and location. We can continue discussion of the party in there. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.