main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fandemonium Report

Discussion in 'Archive: Idaho Falls, ID' started by Boskone_Kenobi, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boskone_Kenobi

Boskone_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2002
    Well Boise tried its darnedest to pull off an independant convention, to the tune of: "If I put up a bunch of flyers, will anyone come?" Well yes. And it was very informative to see the population of Fandom that shows up when the subject matter is open ended.

The only genre that had more than one costumed representative was anime,specifically Sailor Moon. Actually that and Renanssance Fair people. There was one Darth Maul however. They had two rooms that had continous loops of genre shows running, one that was movies such as Sleepy Hollow, Wing Commnader, Firefly, and Buffy; and the other room played continuous Anime, all day all night and always had an audience. Certain attendees told me that they never went to sleep. Between the Anime and the Role playing room with its 72 hour marathon of Dungeons and Dragons Players, no one had any time to sleep.

But for the stuff that I drove all that way for: The music video contest (wherein I entered my Mortal Kombat vis a vis Star Wars creation which I made a while back), which I was one of only 4 entries. They had that contest before I was able to arrive so I dont know if I won.

The Fanfilm contest: I submitted 3 short films, which turned out to be half of the total submissions. Since there were more prize categories than there were entries, everybody wins.
    (But as a personal remark, I lurk on a number of Boise filmmaker forums, and I am disappointed that none of them could field a decent number of entries. There was a kung fu film made on the banks of the Boise River, and a zombie evil-dead rip off, but that was about it. The forums talk real big and have grandiouse claims, but when push came to shove, they fumbled.)

Then there was the costume contest. Being somewhat of an amatuer professional, I excused myself from this one. And once again, LACK of entries ruled the day. This was the first contest I ever watched that came in on time. THey had 2 hours alloted to it, but were done in one. Anime and japanese samurai were the most common.

So it seems, when the convention popluation and participation is left up to chance, everyone will just sit around and watch. Very passive fan base. D&D room was always full, Playstation room was always full, but they had to twist arms to get people to actually DO anything.

Case in point: My arch-nemesis. (And this is where I say "When I was growing up, I always wanted to have my very own arch-nemesis." If yuo dont know the story between me and my former college roommate and how we accomplished the complete Turn-to-Darkside on each other, ask me sometime. To suffice, old friends always make the most vicious and unforgiving new enemies).
    I was there to host a panel discussion on how to get cheap fx for cheap movies. That turned out well as I learned as much from the attendees as I told them about all kinds of freeware programs that we can all use. (And my demonstration of the Quantum Leap effect and movie was popular).
    Well I found out with a mere few hours to spare that my arch nemesis was also going to host a panel discussion, on ALMOST the same topic:: filmmaking on a budget, so this was going to be even more of a direct head to head "This will be a day long remembered.." than I had orginally planned. A mano o mano white knuckle winner take all on which one of the former roommates and friends but now vicious rivals will emerge as the SUPREME movie maker for all time.

He showed up late to his own panel, and then decided to dump the whole thing (the hotel fire alarm was buzzing due to the the fog machine in the other room, so he may have been put in a dour mood). I never ran into him.
    I win by default. Not quite the ultimate victory I was hoping for, but the rest of the story is that certain filmmaking associates of his were there, who I did meet, and to whom I gave copies of my stuff and said "please show this stuff at your next meeting." get to stuff it in his face that way. Let this be a lesson to all, that a grudge held for 4 years always pays off. ;)

So, I dont think that anybody miss

2. Oscar_the_Gungan

Oscar_the_Gungan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 1, 2001
    I would have liked to have gone, just cause I'm always looking for excuses to go to Boise. Do you think they might attempt such a thing again?

3. Boskone_Kenobi

Feb 15, 2002
    He certainly sounded like he wants to do it again, as hints were dropped about using a different location "next year." And the Boss is trying to put together a master webpage full of every link to every Idaho fandom page that has ever existed. Ill go find where that is and hook us up with it.

4. Ariadnae1

Ariadnae1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2003
    Barry, I am glad you had a good time. I am also happy to see that you prevailed (eventhough not how you wanted to) over your nemisis. You should think about showing us all three movies you submitted at the next meeting. I know I would like to see them. Also, hooking us up on that list would totally rock, so if you can, please do so.

erin

just my 2 cents worth, and no erik, they aren't CANADIAN!!!

5. Boskone_Kenobi

Feb 15, 2002
    The biggest film I submitted was a Dungeons and Dragons affair (using actual spells from the game, woo hoo). Come to think of it, the only person I ever showed that to was Eric (or maybe to Doug at his house one time a LONG while back..). Since I get to use a flaming lightsaber to duel with a flying black magic darksaber, the SW inspiration behind it should be apparent.

I also submitted that Simpsons collage that I showed at Dougs house during the BBQ, and then a very short (60 second) Jedi vs Death Star, in the immortal tradition of Bambi vs Godzilla. ;)

Ill bring them along.

6. RABIDJAWA

RABIDJAWA Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2002
    Sounds like a blast. Makes me antsy for Jeremy Bullcoch in October. Cons RULE!!

7. Boskone_Kenobi

Feb 15, 2002
    Well I went and did it. On the Boise filmmaking forum where my nemesis does a great deal of his bloviating, I dumped my lurker status and posted a huge report of the convention and fanfilm contest which he missed.
    He is going to read that and can only respond:
    "I feel a presense I have not felt since... HE IS HERE!" Possibly followed by "You should not have come back."

We'll see what this turns into, either a cold shoulder "so what" or a battle of the resume filmagraphies. Most of his allies who he pounded me with last time are gone, so it is just him and me, but if I get ganged up on again, I might graciously ask for some moral support.

Ill keep you informed.

Ohhhh having an arch nemesis is fun.

8. Ariadnae1

Ariadnae1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2003
    Barry you are so evil. I think I kinda like that side of you. :)

9. QUIGONJINN02

QUIGONJINN02 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2003
    I'm actually rather disappointed that I didn't meet him and see the two of you duke it out...

10. Boskone_Kenobi

Feb 15, 2002
    Well he has at least 50 lbs on me, so I wouldnt want anything physical.. unless I had a sneaky trick up my sleeve (which I just might.....) ;)

Well anywho, he has chosen to go the "clam up" option, not acknowledging my presence or existence, which is what he did last time I saw him in person....3 years ago in the line for Mummy Returns.

So I posted messages in three new threads. And posted links to all my movie pages and costume gallery under the guise of "Hi, Im new here." He doenst have to talk. All he has to do is read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.