main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Idaho Fandemonium

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by QUIGONJINN02, May 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borneo

Borneo Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2004
    Well when considering that there hasn't been a Fan convention here of this type ever. There hadn't been a Sci-Fi con here in over 10 years (except for the occasional 1-day Slanted Fedora Events). There hadn't been a gaming convention here in 6 years. Plus the fact that it was 100% fan created and run the majority of which had no former convention experience, many of which it was there first or second convention ever having been at let alone run. Top all that with the fact that out of the 32 people who were supposed to be on staff the first year only 7 showed up at the convention. I think it?s pretty amazing that it even happened.

Of course there will be problems that need to be ironed out the first few years. If you expect perfection out of the box when basically having to start a convention from scratch and build it from the ground up then your going to be disappointed because it doesn't happen.

I've been going to Sci-Fi & Comic Book conventions and working them as a Dealer, A/V Crew, Head Tech, Security, Concessions, Registration, Setup & Teardown crew, for the last twenty plus years. I was one of the founding members of the team that created the very first Anime Convention in Idaho. And you know what?, that background didn't even scratch the surface of what I needed to know and learn just to do Fandemonium. And I am still learning every single day.

Most conventions that get started do so with massive budgets, experienced staff or at least an experience pool to draw from like a local ConCom. We didn't have any of that. For starters this con was funded by my selling and pawning most of what I own and by taking out a couple loans that I still owe on from the first year. Second we haven?t had a strong vibrant connected Fan community here in a decade. We have to build it as if it never existed. I see NBO as an important first step in that process.

If you don't like how Fandemonium was last year then get involved to make it better in the future. Fandemonium was designed around the fans getting involved, it isn't here as a passive form of entertainment, its designed to be interactive & adaptable. Constantly changing and growing to meet the needs of the Fans rather than saying "This is how it started, this is how it always will be". That?s the battle cry of a lot of the cons that are dying now because they didn't keep up with the needs of there Fans!

I believe in this convention, if I didn't I wouldn't have committed everything I own and the last two years of my life to it. I eat, sleep and breathe this convention and work to make it better. We have overcome a lot just to bring it to you this year. A hostile take over attempt, horrendous staff changes, near non-existent budget, health problems, legal problems, vehicle and equipment problems.

The only reason the convention is happening this year is because of the Fans who are pulling together to make it happen. Fans printing out flyers and handing them out, fans donating the use of hardware, fans creating art, fans volunteering to work staff, fans doing panels, running games & contests. Without the Fans this convention and this community are nothing. With them there is no limit to what can be achieved.

Sorry for the lengthy rant but this is something I truly believe in. I want people to understand just what it takes. Its not a matter of just saying "Hey lets put on a Fan Convention" and presto there it is. Its years of work and dedication and every spare dime you can throw at it. I want to see conventions continue here in Idaho. If not Fandemonium then something else, but I will work for as long as I live to see to it that we will continue to have conventions in Idaho. A place for the fans to be who they are and do what they love, without bias or fear of recrimination from a society that does not understand them. A place to celebrate everything that gre

2. Darth-Viper3k

Darth-Viper3k Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2005
    I have to say that that was very well said
    I just wish I could take some time off and do a swordplay panel
    do a choreography and free sparing
    :(

3. QUIGONJINN02

QUIGONJINN02 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2003
    Here, here Borneo! We plan on doing what we can to make it one hell of a convention this year!

4. QUIGONJINN02

Mar 29, 2003
    So, in attendance were me, Eric, Dan and Cody. Thanks guys. Ok. So we've got 3 tables, one is for Dan's "Condor Toys and Models." The 2nd will be shared by the diorama and the 1st is ours for the club.
    Admission is $17 for a single day, $25 early admission and $30 for all three days.
    So far, Dan and I are there all three days. Eric is there all of Saturday, and Cody will be attending Friday and Saturday evening, possibly Sunday.
    I will be DJing! the last dance on Sunday night. Come and have fun with me there! I'll have mostly SW tunes. My first time DJing...I'm stoked.
    Our main objective is to get more members. If there's internet, Borneo is working on this, then we'll have a comp at our table for membership stuff, our website and other things.
    Also, I'll have a TV unit and DVD of course, for our SW jargon.
    Have any more ideas, post them in the Fandemonium thread.
    So that was the meeting. If you need directions to the Con, ask Eric or check the Fandemonium website.
    Thanks all!

5. QUIGONJINN02

Mar 29, 2003
    We also need to get in contact with members we haven't seen in awhile. Bill, Brad, and others among them. It would be great to have a large turnout....I truly think we'll be one of the largest groups there combined with 501st, RL, and IFSWA! Let's blow peoples socks off with our SW glory!

6. QUIGONJINN02

Mar 29, 2003
    Here is the Fandemonium event schedule! USE IT WISELY!
    Friday

Time Event Location
    2:00 pm
    Introduction to Bookbinding
    Morgaine Silverthorn Panels & Workshops

3:00 pm
    Introduction to Inking Comic Books
    Aaron Leach Panels & Workshops

4:00 pm
    Fandom Parade Setup Panels & Workshops

5:00 pm
    Opening Ceremonies Main Events

6:00 pm
    FanVids & Anime Music
    Videos Contest Main Events

Writing for Comics
    Colter Hillman Panels & Workshops

6:00 pm - 12:00 am
    Horror Showing
    Analisa Ravella Miscellaneous Video Room

7:00 pm
    Dance in the Darkness Main Events

7:00 pm - 11:00 pm
    Yaoi Party
    Laura Fuller Anime Video Room

8:00 pm
    Second Skin - Intro to Mask Creation
    Dave Britton Main Events

The State of Cartooning in Idaho
    Allen Gladfelter Panels & Workshops

9:00 pm
    3D CG: The Animation Revolution
    Reed Hawker Main Events

Werewolves in Idaho Tabletop Gaming

10:00 pm
    Multi-Fandom Trivia Contest Panels & Workshops

11:00 pm
    Battle Karaoke
    Custodians of Otakudom Main Events

Saturday

Time Event Location
    11:00 am
    Taking CosPlay To the Next Level
    Brandon Waite
    Main Events

12:00 pm
    Mecha Mania
    Autum Shaw
    Panels & Workshops

All vs All D&D 3.5 Melee
    Delvers? Bash
    Random Events

1:00 pm
    CosPlay Rehearsal
    Kitty Waite
    Main Events

2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
    Costume Contest & CosPlay
    Jeremy Lopett
    Main Events

Webcomics Panel
    Reed Hawker, Lucas Hutson, Alex Thatcher
    Main Events

Whose Line Is It Anime
    Sharon Luttrull
    Panels & Workshops

5:00 pm - 7:00 pm
    DDR Contest
    Main Events

Armor-Making Workshop
    Joe Rossi
    Panels & Workshops

Intro to Writing for Comics
    Aaron Leach
    Panels & Workshops

Fan Film Contest
    Main Events

Tai Chi Demo
    Jen Glauser
    Panels & Workshops

Hentai Showing
    James Callahan
    Anime Video Room

Maniac Masquerade Dance
    Main Events

The Adventures of Class Ring Boy
    Chad Beggs
    Main Events

10:00 pm
    Running Fan Conventions in Idaho
    Borneo
    Panels & Workshops

Sunday

Time Event Location
    10:00 am
    Libertarian Ideals in Science Fiction
    Jay Smith
    Main Events

Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo Pro Tournament
    Borneo
    Main Events

Convention Running Game
    Jeremy Lopett
    Panels & Workshops

Urban Campers Concert
    Main Events

Swashbuckling, Fandemonium Style
    Andrew (Boone) Dean & Co.
    Main Events

BeyBlade
    Sharon Luttrull
    Random Events

2:00 pm
    Fandom Melee
    Main Events

Combat CosPlay
    Justin Weitensteiner
    Main Events

Intro to Customizing Action Figures
    Daniel Gerber Our very own Creative Chairman!
    Panels & Workshops

Color Me Cthulhu Coloring Contest
    Random Events

Intro to Drawing
    Aaron Leach
    Main Events

Becoming a Video Game Tester
    Dawn Reuter
    Panels & Workshops

Anime Dating Game
    Custodians of Otakudom
    Main Events

Whose Line Is It Anime 2
    Sharon Luttrull
    Panels & Workshops

The Best of Anime Jackass
    Custodians of Otakudom
    Main Events

Closing Ceremonies
    Borneo
    Main Events

Star Wars Dance ME! ME! ME!
    Main Events

Fan Music Contest
    Panels & Workshops

Well, there it all is! I hope everyone can make it, including those people I haven't heard from!
    Remember, admission prices for all three days is $30. Single day passes are $17. And don't miss my dance party!
    Yours in the Force!

7. QUIGONJINN02

Mar 29, 2003
    I just got done downloading a whole ton of remixed nostalgic music for the dance party! I've got everything. Zelda, Mario, Anime's, Final Fantasy, Star Trek, and TONS of Star Wars!
    I'm stoked!
    For all those who can only come one day, I'd recommend stopping by for the dance party. I bet I could convince Borneo to let people in free for this event if you just came in the evening for it. I'd love to have lots of you there!

8. Darth-Viper3k

Apr 17, 2005
    sorry man
    but I'll be at work sunday 8pm
    :(

sounds like yall are gonna have all sorts of fun though!!

9. cmdrwillard

cmdrwillard Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 6, 2003
    Hey Viper,

I know Wal=Mart is open 24 hours a day/7 days a week. Do you work all of them???

10. Darth-Viper3k

Apr 17, 2005
    ??
    I work Sat - Wesnday, usually 3-midnight or 4-1am

If I have the money I'm gonna show up on Friday
    but thats all I'll be able to attend

it sucks b/c yall have events on the days I always work
    LOL

11. cmdrwillard

Apr 6, 2003
    I am planning on Sunday now. At least for Kasey's thing but hopefully for all day as well. See you all there.

12. QUIGONJINN02

Mar 29, 2003
    Well...Codywan never showed tonight. I swear, if this thing ends up being like last year, and its just me, Dan and Adam again...well...
    All those that said they were coming tomorrow, please keep your word.
    Thanks.

13. cmdrwillard

Apr 6, 2003
    Iam still planning to be there on Sun. Should know soon if I have a sub for my class tomorrow. Wish me schedule this weekend wasn't so crazy.

BTW QGJ are you really that suprised that Codywan didn't show?

14. QUIGONJINN02

Mar 29, 2003
    ...I GUESS NOT!

15. QUIGONJINN02

Mar 29, 2003
    I am surprised though at the level of commitment.
    I, while sharing some disappointment here, have had a blast at Fandemonium this year!
    Hoping to see everyone tomorrow....
    Or later today I should say.

16. cmdrwillard

Apr 6, 2003
    I sent my "Response" by email.

17. QUIGONJINN02

Mar 29, 2003
    Thanks for your response. Hope to see you today at the Con.

18. Darth-Viper3k

Apr 17, 2005
    sorry for not showin up guys
    I really was going to show up... but I was sick... nearly called in for work yesterday
    It sucks... I was in bed most of the day
    still not feelin too great

19. QUIGONJINN02

Mar 29, 2003
    Sorry to hear it. But honestly, if you're going to post on our boards about how you can't make any event due to work, illness or other reasons, we could care less.
    If you can make it to events, great!
    If you can't, well, then you can't.
    But please don't tell us everytime you can't make it because of "x,y,z." We don't care. Either you're there, or you're not.

20. Darth-Viper3k

Apr 17, 2005
    I kinda figured you didn't care
    but... you said you were disapointed...so I sorta felt obligated this time around to post
    I dunno
    *shrug*

21. cmdrwillard

Apr 6, 2003
    I know that I wasn't there very long, but it was fun. I really enjoyed the "wedding". DJ Vader was cool, but that other guy on the mic...

22. Jealously_Guarded

Jealously_Guarded Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 12, 2004
    THe Fandemonium Message board has a thread by one of the dealers commenting on the lack of fandom support for what he did at the show, and in response I posted the following, something I have been dwelling on for the last couple days after I read Kasey's letter commenting on the lousy turnout.

The comments here do not necessarily represent Fanforce, and I speak on my own authority:::::::::::::::::::::

:QUOTE:
    Boise's entire fanbase by and large is stuck in a continual state of sitting around waiting for life to happen. They expect everything but are willing to contribute nothing to make it happen. I went to the Convention armed to the teeth with homemade movies, music videos, my costume stash and FX make-up, knowing that I could entertain myself and anyone else at my convenience. This is contrasted with certain comments of "this is boring" which I heard here and there.

I submit that as a fan, you only get bored if you are boring.

If there is no other joy than sitting around watching other people do all the work--then we get what we have now, and entire city of boring people who have not a single induvidual contribution to share, sitting around getting fat wondering why their life isnt more interesting.

Nobody is going to do it for you, people. THis is not a matter of "HERE WE ARE NOW, ENTERTAIN US!" That is an attitude reserved for Proactive fans.
    Constructive fans.
    PRODUCTIVE FANS.
    Fans who have something to offer.
    Fans who DO THINGS
    And fans who want to show it off.

You simply do not live in that kind of town.
    You no longer have the luxury of sitting around being a blob saying "FEED ME!" continually wondering why your fan events are not more exciting.
    Well, why arent they?
    Are you the problem?
    Boise at one time had no less than THREE Trek groups.
    YOu had the power once, but then everyone decided to get lazy and let everyone else do all the work while they sat around and--you guessed it--got bored.

If it isnt you then it is not going to be anybody. Its Proactive and if you think your events are boring then do something about it other than gripe. Get a hobbie and share it.

You would be amazed how much more fun conventions get that way.

23. Darth-Viper3k

Apr 17, 2005
    good post Jealously_Guarded
    thats the very thing that made camping out at edwards so much fun

24. QUIGONJINN02

Mar 29, 2003
    Well said Barry. I guess we don't live in that kind of town though...and there comes a point in everyones life where they either do the work, or let things die.
    I for one, have done more than enough work, and I'm ready to let things "come to pass."
    Goodbye NBO.

25. cmdrwillard

Apr 6, 2003
    Although Kasey and I clashed on this event, I think your right Barry.

I knoe from the work I have put in to the NBO, the results just are not there.

History may be repeating itself. I am old enough to remember that Star Wars "died" in late 1983 after ROTJ was released.

Alas it is happening again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.