main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fandom!

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by sophmedia, Nov 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sophmedia

sophmedia Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2010
    I am currently in my second year at university studying media and visual cultures. One of my assignements is subculture and fandom, in which I will be writing a 5000 word essay on Star Wars fans. The purpose for joining this fan club is to try and understand fan behaviour including issues regarding identities, empowerment, relationships, personal accounts of fans own developments and any possible ideologies within the fandom. Therefore, I would be very greatful if any fans of could help me in doing so, in terms of answering questionnares or generally sharing their personal experiences of why they are fans.
    I am trying to figure out this site and the easiest way to communicate with fans who are willing to help me?! for example private messages. Any help would be very helpful.

2. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    An essay about Fandom... That sounds difficult - especially since it takes time to understand fandom. How much time do you have for your essay?

I would guess posting your questions here and starting a discussion would be the best way. :)

(Btw, starting the same thread in various boards might be frowned uppon by some, so if you like to start further threads about the same topic, please, talk to a mod first. That helps to avoid misunderstandings. :) )

3. sophmedia

sophmedia Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2010
    Ok Thank you. I have two weeks to write it all and apply alot of thoery!
    Below is a few questions that I hoe will help me out.

Please try to give as much depth to the questions as possible even if you think it won?t be of any relevance. Feel free to add any additional information about Star wars that you think may help me in understanding fan behaviour.

Name
    Ethnicity

1. When did you become a fan of Star Wars?

2. How and why did you become a fan? (i.e because you can identify yourself with one of the actors or characters, personal links with the film/character/plots/themes, it helped you through a difficult stage in your life, influenced by a friend/family member?)

3. Is being a fan an important aspect in your life?

4. Do you have personal friendships with fans from the online sites? Do you attend any events related to Star Wars?

5. Do you think that the second trilogy and the re-edited DVD releases have changed your thoughts and the feelings of fans in general?

6. What are your thoughts and feelings about the first trilogy compared to the second trilogy? (i.e specific periods that symbolise a significance to you, if they changed your opinion of Star Wars, were they fulfilling as a fan?)

7. Is there anything in terms of the different films, characters, plot, actors, themes that has changed your view as a fan over the years?

8. Throughout my lectures we have examined hierarchy within different fan bases. Do you think there is a fan hierarchy within the star wars fan base, if so what would determine the ?real? fans from the rest?

9. Would you consider yourself at the top end of the fan hierarchy? If so why or why not?

10. Do you have or collect any merchandise/ memorabilia? If so why or why not?

11. Fans can be seen as having a ?collective identity?, how far do you think this statement is true? Or are identities created from personal identities such as dress, behaviour, ideology, class, personal needs? How do you fit into this argument?

Thank you!

4. Illuminated

Illuminated Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    WOW that sounds like an enormous task. YIKES [face_hypnotized]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.