main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanfic archive down?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by jcgoble3, Jan 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Somebody mentioned in Comms last night that http://fanfic.theforce.net/ is down, and indeed it is. Does anyone know what happened to it?

2. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    Someone should check the hosting account to see if it is still there. I had a weird situation with my fan fic sites a while back where the files were intact, but for some reason, I couldn't get anything to show up online. I still don't know what the problem was.

3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    It's actually been down for quite some time (over a year ago, but I think it might have come back up for a while). We tried to find out info about it a while back but couldn't really get anything. It's completely separate from the forums and is done by the main site. If you look, there really isn't a fanfic presence on the main site any more and it hadn't been kept up in a long time, so they probably just let it go.

4. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    It's back up again! [face_dancing]

pronker and mavjade like this.
  5. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    OMG! It is there! I thought it had just been taken down.

But there've been no new updates in TWO AND A HALF YEARS.

?????????????????????????????

6. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    From what I know, it has been up and down periodically for the past few years. Like Mav said, it is completely separate from the forum boards, so we have no control over it. I think the main site just let it go.

7. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    This makes me hopeful that behind the scenes, the truncation issues will be resolved.

Possibly as soon as 2016.

8. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I wouldn't use that as a basis for the truncation issue. As I've said, the archive is completely separate from the forums and I believe was always hosted in a different place, on the owners own server so they didn't have the same issue. Only the forums were on IGN. Sorry!

9. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Ah well, I shall nevertheless live in hope then *waves banner of cheer*

mavjade likes this.
  10. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Wow. No one can tell me that the move hasn't been traumatic. But if the Archive was hosted separately from IGN, why was it wound up with the move? Did they decide to host it at the same place as the forums?

11. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    It wasn't with the move (I was able to access several times during the move). As Mav said, lack of interest/lack of staff is what doomed the archives, it just so happened to be around the same time as the move.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.