main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FanFic Ask Me Anything ~*~ Version 3.0 Daily Questions (See list on pg 164 or 1)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Favourite food? ;)

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What kind of food pie do you prefer? Meat, chicken, cheese, ham & broccoli or something else?

3. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Do you have a fanfic you've written that you're especially proud of?

Do you have any favourite fanfics/authors?

Findswoman likes this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Please choose:
    (a) an alien race in the GFFA; and then
    (b) a style of clothing from a/some real-life culture/s (or time period, or both) that you think would be well-suited to that alien race.

5. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Hmmm....I hadn't until now. Perhaps I should play KOTOR again, as research. :D For KOTOR2, I did mentally write a reunion scene for my female Exile and Atton. [face_love] (Worst. Ending. Ever. They built up a possible romance, and then...nothing. Just Kreia telling you Atton was a fool. Yeah, thanks a lot, you old bat.)

For me, the balance always tips towards family. I try to work my writing in when my daughter's playing on the computer, or after she's gone to bed and Mr. Baiard is doing his work out, though I've also been known to scribble fanfic while I'm cooking dinner. I also set aside my "lunch hour" (I'm a stay-at-home mom) for writing/research or reading.

ETA: I sound so virtuous, don't I? ;). In reality, it doesn't always work this well. There have certainly been times where housework hasn't gotten done because I've gotten caught up in a scene. It' can be hard for me to make myself put down my writing and vacuum, dust, or whatever. However, Mr. B is not shy about telling me when he thinks I'm spending too much time writing.

6. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    Sorry, didn't mean to skip this one! OCs give you more latitude for writing and plotting than canon characters. With the canon characters, their appearance, mannerisms, speech patterns have already been set, and if you don't respect that, or find a plausible reason for changing it, it will jolt the reader out of your story and probably not want to read any more. With the OCs, I get to create all the aspects of the character; they don't have to match anyone's expectations. However, it's still important to stay consistent, both to the characterization I set and to the lore of the GFFA. For example, with Princess Clarys of Alderaan, since I've portrayed her as quiet and compassionate up to this point, it would be out-of-character and out of the Alderaanian ethos set out in the canon to suddenly make her an avid hunter.

Of course! She's had SW books and a few toys since she was little. She seen bits of ANH and ESB, but hasn't seen them all the way through. (She's autistic, so it's very hard for her to sit through a movie or break her routine to watch one). I am looking forward to SW land at Disney, because she loves to meet characters and I think it will be a cool way for her to experience SW.

I found it pretty amusing the other day that she hummed the cantina song while helping me sort laundry. :)

No, sorry :)

I've had songs that inspire dialogue; Phil Collins' "One More Night" inspired a letter from Callista to Luke in one of my stories, except that Callista turned it into a massive guilt trip. Some songs remind me of characters. Clarys's theme is currently "Put a Little Love in Your Heart." Sadly, I don't listen to much music lately, except for KidzBop.[face_sigh]

I tend to grab writing time wherever I can get it, but I find I do a lot of plotting and initial scene crafting in the shower or before I fall asleep. [face_blush] Hard to find a lot of uninterrupted quiet time!

Findswoman likes this.
  7. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Ooh, this is already a great interview. :D

What is your favourite place you have travelled to? Or, if you could visit anywhere, where would that be? :)

8. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    I'm addicted to Bubble Witch Saga [face_blush]

Nice collection, TrakNar! Did you preserve them yourself?
    Hmmm... For real life culture, I think it would be interesting to see something inspired by the Aztecs or other Meso-American cultures. I think Aztec art and architecture could easily be used as the basis for costumes and settings for a new planet, and could also see a new species based on the stylized jaguars or Quetzalcoatl depicted in their art. My only caveat is that I would not want them to be a race of Dark Side Force users like the Sith, because that seems a little trite.

Fictional is harder for me. The only thing I can come up with is the Witted from Robin Hobb's Farseer books, who had magic that allowed them to understand animals and form an exclusive bond with one beast, who was regarded as a partner, rather than a servant. The Force seems to be able give Jedi some rapport with animals, but I think, given the Council's views on attachment, they'd wet their collective pants if a Jedi became similarly bonded. It could be interesting if the Jedi encountered another Force tradition that encouraged it, or if a padawan discovered this talent.

Sweet treat: brownies, or even better, chocolate lava cake.
    Munchy: chex mix

Seafood :) We went on a cruise a couple years ago and they served the most awesome sea bass. =P~
    My mother makes the best chicken pot pie. It's my ultimate comfort food. She just made a big batch and is bringing us some tomorrow! Yum!

"Everyone Comes to Doran's Place". It combines two of my favorite movies, SW and Casablanca. I really enjoyed writing Raissa and Doran so much, I might do a sequel someday.

I haven't had a lot of chances to read fanfic since I returned to the boards, but one I particularly like is @Kahara's "Shark Kibble." She does a fabulous job creating suspense and evoking the atmosphere of her mysterious planet. I hope she'll add some more someday!

I need to think about fashion some more before I answer your next question, Gamiel!

Gamiel, JadeLotus and Nyota's Heart like this.
  9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Raissa, :D two SW related aspects:

A. What part of the EU do you wish was still canon, and
    B. What do you wanna see in Episode 7?

10. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I wish I did, but I don't have the materials at the moment to do so. I have a praying mantis egg case that I preserved, but that's it. Those pieces were bought at conventions, except for the micrathena bracelet, which I saw at Hot Topic and had to have.

What are you drinking currently?

11. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    What are your fanfic pet peeves?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    How old is your daughter, again? (I have a four-year-old son.)

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    What do you advise when you hit a wall writing wise? How do you break through it and what do you think causes the DWB versus a sweet flow of inspiration? @};-

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What SF technology that have not appeared in SW would you like to see appear?

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I all for more Meso-American influences in Star Wars :D

Also have you seen this

Sounds a bit like Wizards of the Coast's prestige class: beastwarden

16. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I'm reading your AU fic "Under a dark sky" and I'm really impressed with your characterization of Dark Luke and Dark Leia. They're basically the same people as in the prime universe, just dark. What sort of work do you put in determining the key personality traits of a character before you write them (either prime universe or alternate universe)?

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  17. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    Not much of a fashion expert, so this comes more from an art history perspective...
    I think that ancient Egyptian clothing would suit the Falleen. The gold and jeweled collars and headdresses, along with the sheer linen fabric seem a good match for the Falleen attitude of superiority and confidence in their own attractiveness. I could totally see Xizor wearing the pharaoh's collar and near transparent kilt. Might even give him a resemblance to Sobek, the crocodile god (minus the snout)
    My favorite place is Yellowstone National Park-- so much natural beauty! There are forests and waterfalls, plus the geysers, fumeroles, and hot springs. There are hot spring calderas where the minerals in the water color it the most brilliant turquoise. It's gorgeous! I also loved seeing all the wildlife: waterfowl, elk, moose, and bison. Bison everywhere, including a herd that crossed the road in front of our car and one very solid and stolid fellow grazing right outside the gift store. :)

I would love to be able to go on safari someday. Can you tell it's all about the animals with me?

I wish I could keep the first three novels. I feel like they've almost achieved a canon status of their own, because everything else has been built off of them. I understand why the EU has been scrapped, because there are so many casual SW fans and general moviegoers who have never and will never pick up a SW novel, but for those of us who have, it will feel wrong (or at least strange) that it's all gone. I'll be a little sad if Han and Leia have kids who aren't Jacen and Jaina, and sadder to see Luke without Mara.

I'm trying to keep my expectations as unformed as possible, especially after I read some of the early spoilers. So, I guess I'm hoping for some new planets, beyond Tatooine, and at least one alien-filled set piece like the cantina or Jabba's palace. And I really hope we get some good answers about what our friends have been up to the past 30 years. (Is continuity too much to hope for ;) )
    White chocolate mocha coffee

In college, I had a composition professor whose cardinal rules were "Write tight" and "show, don't tell." These are the things that bother me most, whether I'm reading fanfic or profic, and sadly I've found plenty of profic that makes me want to whip out Prof. Foster's red fountain pen and start editing it. Sometimes these two go hand-in-hand; you can go on for six pages about how evil your villain is, but it's more effective if you just show him kick that sweet pittin off the balcony, just 'cuz.

She's seven years old.

JadeLotus and Gamiel like this.
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Who would like to see illustrating Star Wars comic? You can pick more the one

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Do you like /enjoy other fandoms, and which ones? :) [face_sigh]

Favorite non-SF book that you can and have reread?

20. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    If you could go back in time and change one world event, which would it be and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Have you ever had a dream so nice/happy that when you woke up you thought: Bummer--woke up too soon.

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do you read any comics outside of Star Wars?

23. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Define what your Professor meant by 'write tight' please. Is this an anti-descriptive stance?

24. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Do you know any foreign languages in any capacity (speaking, reading, and/or writing—another one of my by-now-standard questions)?

25. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    Put it on the shelf and come back in ten years :D I wish I had a better answer for this one. Right now, what's working for me is to switch from writing "Under a Dark Sky" to editing "Doran's Place" when I feel stuck. It's a change of pace, and that kind of helps. I'm also trying to just make myself write something and remind myself that it doesn't need to be prefect in the first draft; there's always time to polish.

The Infinite Improbability Drive ;) ok, seriously... Hmm. I'm not really sure. I've been reading a lot more fantasy than SF lately, so I can't think of something super-cool I'd like to see.

I had not seen that video! [face_laugh]

Yes, the beast warden and the Witted are similar, although Hobb's Witted bond to a certain type of animal (her main character bonds only to dogs and wolves), so they might have a noble steed or a loyal predator as their bond-beast, but not both. Also, their relationship is almost equivalent to a marriage or kinship than a familiar. I would definitely play that class, though. I miss the creature handler profession from Galaxies. I had several animals trained, including a womp rat named Bullseye :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.