main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FanFic Ask Me Anything ~*~ Version 3.0 Daily Questions (See list on pg 164 or 1)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    It's a great fic that still holds up after all this time (I lost the original zine during one of my many moves years ago, but was glad to run across it on the Net).

Ewok Poet likes this.
  2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Thanks to leiamoody for answering questions! As it is Friday, it's time to have a new subject.

This week we open up questions to Ceillean

So FanFicers, ask away!

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  3. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    How did you get into Star Wars?

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_dancing] !!!!!! What is your process for developing original characters? ;) [face_love]

5. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Something that I ask all non-native speakers of English: what language do you dream in?

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  6. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Who inspires you?

7. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Do you write original fiction in addition to fan fiction?

8. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Oooh, my turn. :D

Oy. I have to go back almost twenty years... :eek: ... which makes me feel INCREDIBLY old. :p

This is the honest truth: I got into Star Wars because I thought Luke Skywalker was cute.
    Such a girl thing, isn't it? But then I was fascinated by the story. Good vs. Evil. The Princess and the Scoundrel. This huge, amazing, brilliant new world and I've been hooked ever since.

I try to make them as human as possible. So I give them flaws. I don't like perfect characters. No one is perfect and to make a character believable, they need normal human flaws.

And then I go from there, depending on the plot. Let's take Eliziya as an example. :p
    She's a perfectionist. She's strong, too strong sometimes. She wants to do everything on her own and she rarely ever asks for help. These can be flaws. Not always but sometimes. Now combine these features with Kyp? In a certain situation, you have a time bomb just ticking away.

Then there's Nikk. Remember him? Haven't written Nikk in ages. He's the ladies man, the cocky, arrogant guy who ignores all rules and regulations. But inside, he's pretty broken. He compensates with humor and banter and never lets anyone too close. Not even his best friends.

So yeah, this is how I develop my characters. Basically, I make them hurt. That's evil, isn't it? ;)

This actually made me laugh. :D
    Alas, I AM a native speaker.

So I actually dream in english.

To clarify, I live in Germany, yep. Bielefeld, to be exact. Horrible city but hey, it's home. I grew up in a town called Baumholder on a military base. I'm a former military brat. My Dad lives in Arkansas, my Mom is German and most of my family lives in the US. I got stuck here.
    I speak both German and English fluently. I started speaking German when I was five or six years old. Still gives me trouble sometimes because it's an insanely difficult language to learn.

No one in particular. But people who manage to fulfill their dreams, who put everything into doing what they want to do, people who risk a lot for the things they believe in -- these are the people I respect. And therefore they are inspiring.

Oh, yes. :) Lately, I've been writing a lot more original fiction than fan fiction.
    It's been my goal, for years already, to write a book. And I'm really good at writing -- but no good at finishing. Writing original fiction is sooo much harder than fanfic. With fanfic, you already know the world you're writing in. You know the characters. With original fiction, you have to start from the very beginning. And I try not to borrow or steal from certain genres (which makes it even that much harder) so I plan a lot.
    Recently, I've tried giving up on notes. I used to plan my stories ahead, chapter after chapter. Eventually I realized that it wasn't working. Because characters do what they want to do. :p The plot suddenly twists in a way you hadn't expected and all the notes were for naught.
    I'm working on a few projects at the moment. A paranormal romance novel (my guilty pleasure), a family drama inspired by my own life (I swear, it's soap opera worthy) and a modern day Beauty and the Beast story.

leiamoody likes this.
  9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Being a foodie, I have to ask: What American-esque food do you crave either because it's not available or it doesn't taste like it would here? Or the flip side, what's your favorite German-style food?

10. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    What was your first fanfic story?

11. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    If you could be anyone else for a day, who would you be?

12. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Which Force power would you most like to have, if it were possible?

13. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Have you been to the Netherlands?

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Does listening to music help you write? What styles of music do you fancy?

15. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Honestly, I don't really have a favorite food.
    The other day I was at the store here and they have a little USA section and I saw Pop-Tarts. :D A box of Pop-Tarts costs 6,50€ though and that's a lot. I used to always love Corndogs and eventually found a recipe to make them myself.
    I prefer other types of food, though. Turkish or Greek.

Oh, good Lord... :p
    Back when I was eleven (I think) there was a boyband really popular in Germany called "Caught in the Act". If you could see me right now, you'd see me cringing.
    I wrote a story about them. Ah...it was about a virus that broke out and basically killed all of humanity except this boyband and two young girls. Total Mary Sue story. Perfect love story etc. It was fun to write back then. The story after that was a Sailor Moon fanfic. And after that I started with Star Wars and my very first fic on the boards here was called "An Unlocked Soul". That's where Eliziya, my OC, started off.

This is actually difficult to answer. I think I wouldn't want to be anyone else for a day. I have enough stuff to deal with in my life, imagine trading places with someone and having their stuff to deal with also? :p

Uh...I'd either want to choke people...or read their minds. :D And make them do what I want them to do. I'd be a pretty dark Jedi, I'm sure.

Yep, I have. :D Many times, actually. I visited Azure Angel a few years ago, while on the way to a Star Wars thing in Belgium. And one of my friends lives in Amsterdam, so I've been there a few times also. And I've been to Amersfoort, too. Holland is a beautiful country, lovely people but your language is odd. :p

Listening to music used to help me write. Now? I can't write worth crap when there's music in the background. But when I'm plotting or writing notes, I listen to a lot of classical music and soundtracks. Two Steps From Hell are amazing, listen to them all the time. If I want to write darker scenes, I listen to Metal or Rock Music. Favorite band is Breaking Benjamin. Amazing lyrics.
    Lyrics are really important to me. If the lyrics stick, I can write something with it.

16. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Ceillean, pleased to meet you—I'm pretty new here, so I doubt we've met before. :)

My question: how exactly do you pronounce "Ceillean"? Looks sort of Irish or Gaelic-ish, though I've never been totally clear on either language's pronunciation rules.

17. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Findswoman - It's fine this time, but for future reference, per the rules on the first post of this thread:

Ceillean - What is your dream vacation?

18. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Oops, so sorry about that! Fixed so that it's just one. I'll save the other one for later. :)

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Favorite Non-SW fandom and why?

20. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    Are you a cat person or a dog person?

21. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    First off, sorry for the delay. I'm on vacation in Ireland. :D Busy getting to know this absolutely amazing place with Iverna. :D

Hello, Findswoman. :) Great to meet you. It's always wondeerful seeing a few new faces around here. Make sure to post a few stories on the boards. :D

To answer your question: I don't know. :p
    I think it's Irish because I found the name in a book. It was spelled with an a, though. "Caillean". I didn't like the look of it so I changed the a into an e.
    I'd guess it's pronounced "Kay-leen"? Maybe? I really don't know. But it's been my name since 2000 and I'm never ever giving it up.

Silence and a good book. :D
    And maybe laying around on a beach with half naked, good looking men serving drinks and being all flirty. That would be superb.

Seriously, though. I like history, so anything historical is fantastic. I like to learn new things so if I'm on vacation and I learn something new and something utterly amazing (like right now in Ireland), I'm going to count the vacation as superb.

Ireland is amazing. And I've lost my heart to the ocean. I sat at the beach this afternoon with my notebook in my lap and I was content. I knew peace for a few minutes and it was wonderful. Peace hasn't been a constant in my life at all in the past few weeks so this vacation right now? It's a dream. It's perfect. And it ends tomorrow, dammit.

Doctor Who. :D
    Why? Because it's the Doctor. Seriously, I absolutely adore Doctor Who. The character is so intricate, so different from any other character on television, you just HAVE to love him. The stories surrounding the Doctor are amazing, his entire history is so profound and it's just a joy watching him go on his adventures with his companions. Plus, Doctor Who has the weeping angels and those things are scary as hell. :D
    Even my daughter loves Doctor Who. I recently bought her a sonic screwdriver and she has a poster of the Doctor above her bed, which she kisses every night before she goes to sleep.
    I raised her well, didn't I?

Definitely a dog person. I don't trust cats. Never have, never will.
    I had a dog a few years ago, before my daughter was born. The most loveliest dog. We called her baby and she was a Staffordshire-Pitbull terrier. She was, literally, my baby. Sadly, she got sick and we had to put her down when she was only seven years old.

Findswoman likes this.
  22. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Which gender is more difficult to write?

23. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Female.
    Popped into my head after I read your question. And it's true, it's much more difficult to write women. I mean, sure, it depends on the story and on the situation but generally, I tend to get annoyed by women in books. I don't know if it's what readers want to read or if there's a different reason why women are portrayed so stupidly in certain books, but there's seldom a book where a woman is a logical thinker, where a woman takes control without seeming like a macho-wanna-be.
    So trying to get that balance right and making her believable and at the same time NOT making her seem like a damsel in distress, CAN get difficult. But it doesn't have to be.

And plus, I really like writing Men. I'm an alpha-male kind of girl. :p

24. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Relevant to Cushing's Admirer's question:

Do you think it is plausible to write a well-crafted female protagonist who happens to be a soldier? If not, why?

25. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    You mentioned your daughter—how old is she now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.