main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FanFic Ask Me Anything ~*~ Version 3.0 Daily Questions (See list on pg 164 or 1)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    Not really - I might find a few lovely or awesome pieces from one designer and hate the rest of their stuff, lol. I pay more attention to individual garments than following any particular designer. I like a flowing, shimmering gown just as much as the next lady, but I also admire edgy, futuristic styles too. For example, though I find most of his stuff too out-there, I do dig some amazing and more wearable jackets from Gareth Pugh.

Classy, elegant, timeless designs from older eras are always appreciated. I'll drool at photos of Edwardian or Art Deco dresses.

As I've mentioned elsewhere before, deep south Texas - the Rio Grande Valley. I was about 40-50 miles inland from South Padre Island, and a bridge to Mexico was only seven miles away from my hometown.

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku and Gamiel like this.
  2. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Two unrelated questions:

If you had the opportunity to go back in time and change something in your life, would you actually choose to do it?

Since you grew up so close to Mexico, do you speak Spanish? If yes, did you learn it in school, or just from your environment?

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Favorite dessert or munchy snack?

Preferred toppings for burgers? :)

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Fanon you have about something in SW?

5. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    I wouldn't be born. :p

Eh, barring that, I would just prefer to have my head screwed on straight once I was about to "go out into the world" after high school. I should have either studied a practical trade at a community college, or chosen a much cheaper art school closer to home, or maybe just gotten a job and avoided a degree entirely. I should have avoided or better managed my debts and respected my mother instead of mistreating her and disregarding her instruction. But the past is past and hindsight is always 20/20.

Yes, I speak casual - not formal - Spanish because I grew up with it in my household. I actually studied French in high school just to try something different (and as a Romance language it was easy; half of it sounds like Spanish, lol), but I didn't retain it afterwards.

So I speak Spanglish, y'all! :D And Spanish "dichos" [sayings] are hilarious and not nearly as funny when translated. Like, "Aqui truenan mis chicharrónes," which means something like, "I'm the boss here; what I say goes, only my words matter!" But it literally means, "Here thunder my pork rinds." [face_rofl]

Snack: dark chocolate. Like, 70-80% dark.

Burgers: the usual stuff - lettuce, tomato, onion, robust dill pickes, sharp cheddar - but for special occasions, sautéed mushrooms.

This story happened. No matter what. :p

And it's tempting to include this one as well, even though it might not make sense with all the post-ROTJ EU we got. Even so, the idea is kind of hilarious and profound at the same time. It would explain why Luke can go anywhere and do anything he wants without ever holding an official job, LOL.

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Architecture you would want to see/see more of in Star Wars?
    Have you tried using sheep meat?

Can you double check the link? I don't think it goes where you think it goes

7. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I laughed so loudly at this that my colleague from the next room came to see what was happening.

Other than your mum, for whom you obviously care a great deal (I'm very close to my mum too, so I find that VERY endearing), are there people who influenced you and made you the person you are?

8. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    If you haven't already been asked this, what is your job? Do you enjoy it?

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Which is your favorite non-Jedi/Sith Force tradition?

Which non-Jedi/Sith Force tradition would you like to see more of? They can be the same

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    What types of scenes come easiest versus hardest, and what are your tips for when DWB strikes?

11. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    And on a similar topic, what advice do you have for writers plagued by self-doubt and feelings of inadequacy?

12. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Might be cool to see something inspired by Gothic architecture, especially in terms of vaulted ceilings and flying buttresses.

Ground lamb is available here, but super expensive. One time my local hipster health food store had some ground goat meat and I picked it up for tacos. It was really tasty, so if that popped up again that'd be a good idea.

Hmm, that's strange, because it works for me - it goes directly to the Tumblr post where the short story is located. It's called The Old Man's Gift.

Not really - I have no one to blame for my rotten aspects, and I'm too lazy to be improved. [face_tired]:p

Data entry. I'm under HIPAA regulations so I won't elaborate. It's not a lovable job, but it's not terrible either; it can be hectic and stressful, but I've done it for three years now and I'm well suited for it. I can eat and go to the bathroom whenever I want, my hours can be somewhat flexible, and I sit on my butt 99% of the day. It's a piece of cake and a walk in the park compared to the horrific jobs my mother had, and I'm grateful I have employment right now, period.

For both: that Aing-Tii teleportation stuff. Sweeeeeeeet.

Easiest are introspective and conversational scenes, since I get to explore the characters; hardest is action and political intrigue, because I can't think well in three dimensions and I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to the terminology and mechanics of either of these subjects.

When I have DWB, I go binge-read other peoples' fics, LOL.

I have plenty of those myself. What's helped me is talking my ideas out with other writers. You should see the epic-length convo I have going on with JadeLotus, lol. :p If you think something is absolutely bananas, someone else might not think so, or if they agree, they might help steer you towards better options.

Everyone, I apologize that my answers tonight are rather brief, but I'm really tired from work - I'm training a new coworker to share my workload, so we're behind this week and I have to do longer shifts while working faster. *falls over* I-)

Findswoman likes this.
  13. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Loved the drawings! Loved the Vader one, especially.

I can vouch for this :p Nothing better for fic writing than bouncing your ideas off someone else.

And now for a question - what are your fanfic pet peeves?

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What kind of food pie do you prefer? Meat, chicken, cheese, ham & broccoli or something else?

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Do you have a favorite style of painting/art, and which artists the most?

16. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Bad spelling, bad grammar, and OOC-ness when it's not a deliberate parody. I'm like, "You really think this character will act this way? Really? Without any justification? Have you even seen or read Star Wars?" :rolleyes: People, don't make your fics remind me of The Glove of Darth Vader series, unless it's meant to be a crack!fic. [face_laugh]

I love shepherd's pie (although it must not have peas, as I'm allergic to them!), and living in Montana, you can get awesome traditional beef pasties here. The best ones are supposed to be in Butte, but we have a little restaurant here in Missoula that many folks think makes the best pasties. They're Death Star-sized. :eek: And their gravy can be purchased on its own and it's UGH AMAZING, lol.

I like portraiture and realism; whenever I draw or paint I just duplicate what I see without putting much of a "style" on it. I really like John Singer Sargent's portrait style - I wish it could be that effortless for me to slap brushstrokes of paint haphazardly on a canvas and make it look gorgeous from a distance. I was the only weirdo in class who would use the itty-bitty detail brush to paint things like eyelashes or jewelry and everyone was like, "Ugh, how can you bother with that?!!" :p

Gamiel likes this.
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What non-Star Wars species would you like to see implanted into Star Wars?

Maybe something along this line?
    [​IMG]
    unnamed castle with town/city on Galidraan

[​IMG]
    the city of Tahv on Kesh
    Is there anything with the Aing-Tii that particularly interest you beside their rather unusual Force technique.

18. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Is there any fan art out there that has caught your attention? Any particular favorite fan artist?

Gamiel likes this.
  19. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Have you met anyone from these forums in person? If not, would you like to?

20. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013

Hmm, not sure. [face_thinking] Like I've said, my fandoms are really limited, so I don't think I know enough alternative alien species that I'd want to see brought over into SW.

...Unless Rocket Raccoon counts. :p

Hey! I had no idea those existed! Nifty. Thanks for posting those.

I do find it odd that they're "monks" who still believe in engaging in violence just to have others leave them alone. :confused: I suppose it's better that they're reclusive and the Force-teleportation stuff isn't widely known so that the technique wouldn't fall into the wrong hands, even though it's really cool. SW is a bit quaint as being a sci-fi (well, sci-fantasy) universe that lacks teleportation tech (there's hyperspace, but it still takes "time" for somebody to travel through it - yay for mangling physics, lol).

Oy, too many to remember, and sometimes I don't even know who made them. In this Internet age I can lose half a day on Tumblr, DeviantArt, or Pinterest staring at amazing fan art. [face_hypnotized] Right now is such a great time to find and enjoy really deep, insightful, and super-creative works that aren't just shiny and pretty, but evoke a major case of The Feels.

From my current time on this new version of the JCF, no. And...I know this may sound rude, and I don't want it to be construed that way, but...no, I'd rather not, not anymore. I'm here again, gallivanting in escapism while the world goes to hell in a handbasket, but my life can't fully go back to the free-wheeling way it used to be, with a whirlwind of convention trips and FanForce gatherings and celebrity brushes. I think I should only keep these activities restrained to online communication only so I don't go overboard again. Thankfully, my obligations and very limited budget nowadays totally prevent me from falling that far off the rails again, but I still shouldn't go looking for temptation.

Gamiel likes this.
  21. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Where do you see yourself in a year? Five years? Ten?

22. K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 18, 2000
    Having lived both east and west of the Mississippi, where do you feel most at home - east coast or out west?

23. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    I really can't - scores of people die every day, and at any moment I could be one of them, regardless of my age or how careful I am. I tend not to think further ahead than a few months at most.

Oddly, even though I hated it growing up - and I'm allergic to EVERYTHING down there, lol - I guess it would be my home region in south Texas. I miss the food and HEB (a chain grocery store located only in Texas). But now border areas are scary for multiple reasons, so I do feel temporarily, marginally safer here up north. Not that there's such a thing as a truly "safe" place anywhere. Up here, though, I feel like more of a misfit and an alien.

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Please choose:
    (a) an alien race in the GFFA; and then
    (b) a style of clothing from a/some real-life culture/s (or time period, or both) that you think would be well-suited to that alien race.

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I say he counts, I can see a whole race of him being created in some ancient past by for example arkanian bio-sculptors

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.