main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FanFic Ask Me Anything ~*~ Version 3.0 Daily Questions (See list on pg 164 or 1)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    1) There's a place in Northern England that I decided would be the perfect place to kick off this mortal coil. It's near a large body of water, so that takes care of the body disposal.

2) There won't be a funeral, because there will be nobody to mourn (assuming I outlive my parents). But I fully intend having "Road to Nowhere" by Talking Heads playing in my ears while I'm dying.

3) Considering I did a term paper on Elizabeth Kubler Ross for ninth grade Honors Social Studies, I guess the answer would be "Uh, hello, yeah". :p

2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    1. I want to die when I am very, very old. I figure in forty or fifty years technology will be highly advanced so I will be able to live to a ripe old age and maintain my health. In my retirement I plan on moving to some futuristic senior living center. I can envision a place called Cougarville Senior Living Resort where elderly ladies special order and live among half human-half robotic androids that can look like any person we want. Because I have been saving for my retirement since I was in my twenties I assume I would have ordered two male android sexbots that are in the exact images of Alexander Skarsgard and Joe Manganiello. I want to die peacefully in my bed after a long night of passion.

Now, if the future is not that bright, I guess I want to simply die in my sleep without pain and at a very old age.

2. Don't Fear the Reaper (Honestly I don't care. My boys will probably play the Imperial March).

3. No.

3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I’m actually kinda morbid. I want to die in a car accident when I am 60 - I’ve lived a good life, yet I haven’t become senile and (more) crippled. I want it to be night time and I want there to be rain. I want to know when it’s happening - I actually kinda fear going in my sleep. I also would like to be an organ donor. Despite my dead pancreas, I’d like to live on in some sort of way - perhaps save a few lives. Not that I'll have a death wish when I'm 60.

There’s this beautiful piece called “To Remember Me”. That is what I want to be able to do with my body

So many. I’d like Angels on the Moon by Thriving Ivory, ’59 Sound (Acoustic) by Gaslight Anthem, some version of Hallelujah and Always Look on the Bright Side of Life by Monty Python.

Ha, well, I kinda did (i still kinda have the final exam to do). It was just one of those things, last year I was looking at my options for classes, I knew I had to get some elective credits. They were really offering zilch all in my usual elective departments (economics and political science), so even though I’m not the biggest fan of anthropology (I squeezed by a introductory anthro class back in first year - it was just not my thing), I looked at what they were offing and there happened to be this on death and dying, so I took it.

Even though my GPA may take a hit due to this class (though this semester with the strike has been an epic fail anyways), I actually learned a lot and even though I didn’t do the best on the assignments and mid-term, I really enjoyed the lectures. I’ve never feared death, but I’ve learned a lot about the funeral business and I feel more prepared and knowledgeable for when I have to deal with my grandmother’s death and possibly one of my aunts (since my sister and I are their only living family). Like, how funeral homes ALWAYS push for embalming, however, unless it is going to be more than a few days between the death and the funeral, it really isn’t necessary.

Chyntuck, jcgoble3 and Ewok Poet like this.
  4. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Last batch. Similar questions may have been asked, but these are pretty open.

1) Why do you write fan fiction?

2) Why do you think this FFAMA thread is so popular?

3) If, by some bizarre turn of events, a bunch of us fanficcers ended up in the same city for a night and decided to get together, what would happen?

Kahara, Findswoman , Chyntuck and 2 others like this.
  5. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    1. It's fun and good practice for writing original stuff.

2. Because people get to ask and answer goofy things while also getting to know one another.

3. Unrivaled debauchery to make Jabba the Hutt blush.

6. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I’m being a rebel and not waiting till the end of day to post this.

If I had asked this a few days ago, I probably would have said something along the lines of: because it’s fun, it’s an creative outlet, it’s a fun way to develop writing skills, and it’s just nice to be totally in control of a fictional world (maybe I have a God complex). This is all still true, but I’ve recently gotten some more insight on this.

I used to be a Grey’s Anatomy fan. I won’t spoil it, but the show was basically ruined for me (and a lot of people) this week, mainly (I think) because the show runner values money and more seasons over knowing when to end a story. Anyways, I’ve never been bit by any Grey’s Anatomy fanfic plot, until this morning. I know TV shows often suffer because of actors leaving or writers becoming more about money than telling a good story. However, literature doesn’t suffer the first problem and fanfic doesn’t suffer from the second (yeah, none of us are getting paid, but sometimes, that might be a good thing).

I think I write fan fiction to give justice to characters I love. When I get into a fandom, I get emotionally involved in the characters. I like character-driven fiction and a lot of stuff i write is character driven. I don’t feel the need to exactly ‘fix” what happened in Grey’s Anatomy and make everyone have happy as clams, but the show was working towards an ending to give the story closure, and I would like to explore that fitting ending, like I often explore “fitting” alternative story lines in Star Wars. Does that mean everyone gets to live happily ever after? Hell no, but what happens in the story makes sense.

I’ve never really had fanfic plots for other fandoms that I’ve gotten into, like Stargate SG-1 and Doctor Who because Stargate (as much as it beat a dead horse) eventually gave the characters and the fan the ending that the story deserved and because Doctor Who a) isn’t over and b) generally gives characters story arcs and endings that they deserve (in my eyes anyways).

Sorry that kinda got long and rambling but was still very general considering I'm currently working on a canon-compatabe SW fanfic.

I think people just like thinking about their own answers, then seeing what other people think/say. It’s a great way to get to know each other. This place is really a community and it’s just nice to get to know everyone a bit better, even if these questions can range from totally silly and fun like fashion in the GFFA to serious stuff.

There would be alcohol, plenty of food (probably Greek :p), many intelligent debates (and some not so intelligent ones) and Mav would have to bail most of us (including me) out of jail by the end of the night.

7. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Because it's my psychotherapy from the real world.
    Because the questions that are asked here say as much about the people who ask them as the answers say about the people who answer.
    The neighbouring table would overhear our conversation and call the police to lock us up in a madhouse.

Now why would anyone think that? [face_thinking]

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    1. Why writing fanfiction? A blend of Chyntuck's and Bri's answers: doing justice and giving closure that makes sense for the characters/plot and also therapy. :D @};-

2. This thread is popular because you read all the varied answers and tastes of the respondents. :cool: @};-

3. Lots of fangirling happening and SQUEEEEs! [face_mischief] Maybe a fic collab would start generating and yay! Great stuff would get posted too.

9. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    In some ways it's to hopefully grow as a writer, but mostly I think it's because I want to see characters I love in different situations and see how they would react. While I read fanfic for the same reason, there are some fandoms that I read fanfic of but have no desire to write in, I'm happy to just read. Others I love to write in (when the muse cooperates).

I think because we like getting to know each other from the both the questions and the answers. It's fun to get to know they people you are hanging out with all the time, even if it's just virtual hanging out.

3) If, by some bizarre turn of events, a bunch of us fanficcers ended up in the same city for a night and decided to get together, what would happen?
    Insanity, pure insanity.

10. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    1. It can be a wonderful emotional outlet for me. Writing is cathartic on a lot of levels. Plus, it's fun. :)
    2. I would surmise that we all like the opportunity to get to know each other, even on a question-and-answer basis. You can learn a lot about someone in a thread like this.
    3. I shudder to think. [face_laugh] Anything can happen when loads of Star Wars fan get together.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  11. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    For fun and to improve my writing skills. Writing has never been my thing, so I want to hone it better.

Because we're so popular. Everyone wants to be like us.

I see pizza, soda, some alcohol, and a lot of us just sitting around and laughing about ships, talking about fics, and watching movies. It'd be like anyone at a con.

12. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    1. Because I have a story to tell and I this is the best way I can think of getting it out there. My obsession with one of my original characters, is an outlet for me to not be like him even though my life sometimes begs that I be like that.

2. People love learning about people. Curiosity about people that are interested in the same things as you are is natural.

3. Since I only know three people from the Fic section Nyota's Heart AzureAngel2 and earlybird-obi-wan I'd say I think that they would be the type of people I'd cook some pasta for and serve some really great wine and they'd appreciate it. We'd talk about SW of course. :p

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    =P~ Yumsy! Darth Furio

Darth_Furio likes this.
  14. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    IF you are ever in Berlin, let me know, okay? Darth_Furio. Thanks for tagging me.

Okay, let´s see how to answer this:

to 1) When I was teaching German and sometimes English as a secondary school teacher in the Netherlands, it was indeed somehow a writing therapy for me. Usually I write, because I have so many words in my head and stories to tell. I never would read aloud my current story to my current kindergarten

to 2) Because there is a bunch of interesting people in here I like to know more about. I already know MsLanna and earlybird-obi-wan fairly well since we are befriended. And SWpants is a very generous person. She invested a lot of time, sense & nerves into my writing that can be appallingly bad when it is up to mistakes & wrong Grammar.

to 3) Perhaps the bird can fly over all the way from the Netherlands for such a meeting with Darth_Furio. She always wanted to see the new place that DarthUncle & I live in.

I love pasta and a good wine. Tyranus230 cooked gorgeous Southern food for my husband & me the past years, so I also would like that. I am also into English, Irish & French dishes. Plus Asian, Mexican & Yugoslavian food. And Cem_Fel & Exar_Xan know how much I like to chat about SW and other SF films/ series, art, culture and nature.

15. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    1. I think it is fun to do.

2. Because some of us have been on this site for over ten years. It is interesting finding out a little about the people we know online.

3. I don't know if I would go to a get together or not. I think I am much more personable online than in real life. I would most likely end up alienating myself. Also, Traknar will probably bring a pet tarantula to the restaurant and I will be forced to burn down the building to kill the damn thing.

16. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    1. It's a fun, creative outlet escape from work and real life, and one that allows me to flesh out the very esoteric corners of a universe of which I've long been fond. And since coming here I'be grown to appreciate the social aspect too: we read and discuss each other's stories & various topics of interest to fanfic writers, and gain new insights and inspiration for our own work that way. It kind of reminds me of those salons and "academies" that were such a big thing in the Renaissance and Baroque eras.

2. I enjoy FFAMA (and RFFAMA) because they allow us to get to know each other as people beyond our writerly/forum personas—and in many cases they really illuminate where those personas come from.

3. I could see us all in a banquet room at a nice Greek restaurant (and I know just the one! :D), chatting till the wee hours about all and sundry, story-wise and real-life-wise. Fic readings could be involved—fanfic is not usually something experienced out loud in person, and that would add a whole new dimension. And although not strictly Greek, there would also be absinthe for those game to try. :cool:

17. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Findswoman Fan fic readings would be epic, especially if you doled out parts to the various characters and had a narrator for non-dialogue. :D

18. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    First it gave me way to explore more about my most beloved canon characters Obi-Wan Kenobi and Qui-Gon Jinn. And after interaction with OC's I began to write them

All kinds of questions are asked and discussed

Watching movies, discussing a group fanfic and getting that on the boards

AzureAngel2 and Nyota's Heart like this.
  19. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Okay, I booked a table in the Cretan restaurant and I'm waiting for you all :)

20. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    At this point, I am not sure. I love writing and the quality of work on here pretty much send all my prejudice against fan fiction crashing against a wall.

I actually "met" my so far closest pal on here through it. Before that, I am not sure if we were aware of our similarities. So, yeah, we get to know more about others and it's awesome.

We build a spaceship.

Thanks for thinking of some of us. :D

This could be really, really fun!

You're lucky that I don't have driving licence yet. I'd drive to eat. :p

21. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Thanks Bri for answering questions and covering for me while I was gone!

If anyone wants to be the Question Master again or for the first time, send me a PM!

This week our Question Master is... TrakNar

AzureAngel2 and Ewok Poet like this.
  22. Annia Piet

Annia Piet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    1) Fun. I've always written original fiction, but the current changes in the Star Wars universe have inspired me to dip into the world of fanfiction for the first time (I wrote a couple of pieces as a teenager, but never really got into it back then). Something about the EU being 'de-canonised' and the likely permanent loss of certain characters I love from ever having new 'official' stories written about them has made me want to keep them alive by writing about them myself. As a side benefit, publically posting my work is helping me build more confidence about sharing my writing, something I've always found very difficult and really need to get over!

2) both the questions and the answers are fun and fascinating. But for me, a structured thread like this really helps me to feel comfortable about getting to know people and joining in, as I tend to feel unsure about just jumping into social conversations with people I don't know on the internet!

3) being new round here, my impression is that there's a real mix of personalities on here, from the very introvert to the very extrovert. So I think a meet up would be initially awkward and uncomfortable, but once we got going on our shared interests, we'd start to click and have a lot of fun! I would have to be very drunk to take part in a fanfic reading though, I find reading out loud (or hearing read) my own work excruciatingly painful!

(Incidentally I'm hoping to go to my first ever convention with Celebration in London next year, so if anyone else is going too, it would be fun to meet up :) )

23. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Ack! Not even time to prepare! Looks like later I'll be writing down a week's worth of questions so as to avoid repeats.

In the meantime, let's kick things off with some random ones.

1. What are you doing right now?

2. Is it edible?

3. Zombies are coming! Look to your right. What do you use to defeat the zombies?

Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  24. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    1. Making cookies

2. I hope so.

3. A microwave?

Chyntuck and jcgoble3 like this.
  25. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Answering your questions. :p And watching the NASCAR race that was scheduled for last night but postponed to today due to rain.

No. NASCAR races are not edible.

The TV showing the NASCAR race. I'll steal one of those race cars and just outrun the zombies. Or just beat them into submission with the TV. Or—ow! I, uh, wilfhasdjhucgebdubrainseubeeu2eiugbrainshfuiwuifbrains......... :p

Chyntuck and leiamoody like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.