main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FanFic Ask Me Anything ~*~ Version 3.0 Daily Questions (See list on pg 164 or 1)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I like A, B and C better than D. Let's do something fun and new. :)

Findswoman likes this.
  2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I like list and tag or ask question and anyone can answer. :)

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  3. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    I like options B and C the best.

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  4. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Seconded!

But don't mind me, I'll be happy whatever we do -- I just love this thread :)

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  5. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    I think it would be fun to do option C, at least for a little while. Getting to see multiple people's answers to the same question seems like it could be interesting.

Findswoman , jcgoble3 and Ewok Poet like this.
  6. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    A, C, and D are my picks.

7. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    It would be nice to have something different - either B, A or C sounds good in that preference order.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  8. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004

Thirded!

And, if one of those do not work, it would always be relatively simple to revert to plan D. :)

9. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I like C the best for the reason given by skygawker.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I like options B or C. :cool:

Ewok Poet likes this.
  11. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Reverse FanFic Ask Me Anything!

With the majority of our regular FFAMA participants having weighed in, it looks like C, Reverse FFAMA is the most popular choice, so we'll start there.

We'll start again most likely this Sunday, so if you want to be the question master for RFFAMA (I just totally made up the master part, thought it sounded like fun.) send me a PM and we'll do it the same way as before. I'll put everyone on a list and then randomly draw who is this week's question master.
    (I'll try and PM you on Friday or Saturday so you know you are coming up, but I make no promises that I will be that organised.)

Tentative Rules will be as follows:
    (These are not set in stone, just an idea of how it will work. This is a bit different, so who knows how well it will work out and we may need to make changes as we go. If you have any ideas to make this work better, let me know.)

• The Question Master will be announced and then they will ask a maximum of 3 questions per day, all in one post.
    If they are very closely related, two questions can be counted as one.​
    Example: What is your favorite type of music? Who is your favorite artist that does that type of music?​

• Those who wish to answer the Question Masters questions will do so in one post. (Please make sure to quote (or at least copy/paste) the question you are answering. If you need help with how to quote someone, PM me and I'll give you step by step instuctions.)

You do not have to answer all of the Question Master's questions for that day. If you only want to answer one, that is fine.​

• The next day, the Question Master will ask a maximum of 3 questions, and then people will answer. This will continue until the end of that QM's week.
    If you miss a day and want to go back and answer a previous days question, you may so long as it is still that Question Master's week.​

The weeks will run Sunday through Saturday. If you missed Saturday's question you may answer it on Sunday, but please try not to start the new QM's week with answering questions from the previous week.​

A possible issue I forsee:
    - The same question getting asked over and over. A few times is fine, but "What's your favorite food?" will get old after a bit.

12. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    And thus begins our first week of Reverse FanFic Ask Me Anything!
    Please see the rules in the above post and remember that we may have to make some adjustments as we go along. They'll be posted on the first page and will be updated as needed.

And our first Question Master is... Findswoman

Gamiel and Ewok Poet like this.
  13. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    All right, then, here goes with today's three questions (Mav, if I'm doing this wrong, please let me know):

1. What foreign languages do you know (speaking, reading, writing, etc.)?

2. Do you have a favorite classical composer, and if so, who (and what particular pieces)?

3. What's your peak dining-out experience? Which can be either (a) a past restaurant experience that you remember with particular fondness, (b) your current favorite place to dine out (and your favorite thing(s) to order there), or (c) both.

Chyntuck, Gamiel and Ewok Poet like this.
  14. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    1. I don't speak a foreign language which caused my Spanish grandmother to nickname me "Stupid". Of course I didn't realize this until I was forced to take Spanish while in High School.
    2. I don't have a favorite. When I was young my brother owned the soundtrack to the movie Clockwork Orange. I really liked the music in that album. Beethoven composed a number of songs in the soundtrack.
    3. I really like the takeout Chinese restaurant near my kids' school. I always order house fried rice and sugar donuts for dessert.

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Okej, I don't know if I am doing this right but...
    1) English

2) Not really

3) b) the hamburger & sausage restaurant Franky's, really good taste (has the best chips I have eaten) without it being to costly.

16. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    This is exactly what I had in mind! Thank for being the first!
    Great questions!

1. What foreign languages do you know (speaking, reading, writing, etc.)?
    None. I took Spanish in high school, and pretty much only remember a few phrases. I know a few medical phrases as well, it gets me by when I have a Spanish speaking patient. I also took American Sign Language for one semester in college. I didn't realize how much I had forgotten until I recently had a deaf patient. Mostly my patients who I try to communicate with in anything other than verbal English laugh at me.

2. Do you have a favorite classical composer, and if so, who (and what particular pieces)?
    I like classical music, but I don't know that I really have a favorite, if only because while liking it, I haven't had a ton of exposure to it. I do have a soft spot in my heart for Tchaikovsky because he wrote the ballets The Nutcracker and Swan Lake.

3. What's your peak dining-out experience? Which can be either (a) a past restaurant experience that you remember with particular fondness, (b) your current favorite place to dine out (and your favorite thing(s) to order there), or (c) both.
    Mostly I just love to eat out, I'm not picky as to where! ;) My favorite dining experience was probably last Valentine's Day when we had the Chef's tasting menu at a lovely restaurant in New York (can't think of the name right now). The food was amazing and I tried foie gras for the first time. I didn't want to like it, but I did.

My current favorite place to eat is a steam punk diner that is near my house. They serve breakfast all day, everyday which is perfect for me. They have a homemade corned beef hash that is amazing and their pancakes are huge and completely customizable.

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    A steam punk diner? [face_hypnotized]

Pleas tell us more or at least link to their homepage. bitte

Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  18. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    1. With my native language being effectively referred to as any number between 1 and 4 languages, I first have to state that according to any respectable linguist, Serbian, Croatian, Montenegrin and Bosnian people speak one language, just using a large variety of dialects. The differences between Serbian and Croatian fade in comparison with e.g. British and American English, or Portugal and Brazil Portuguese. Two different alphabets might actually be the main difference and now, with Montenegrins adding two new letters for no apparent reason, the whole thing is getting fairly political. So, I have 1 native language, period - whatever you want to call it.

This said, I am fluent in English and Italian; and I can read and, to a certain extent speak, German, Russian. I have basic to intermediate knowledge of ancient Latin, but it's a bit rusty. In 2014, I took up a scary number of languages on Duolingo and I got pretty far with Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese, tackled some French (hard!) and Dutch and opened Danish and Swedish lessons once or twice. I always wanted to learn Hungarian. I cannot imagine the limits of not being a polyglot.

Since CSS, HTML, PHP and JavaScript are, apparently, languages to some people on this board, yeah, fluent in the first two, intermediate level PHP and beginner level JavaScript. The later hasn't progressed much since, like, 2000 and I need to tackle it someday; but it's kinda...boring.

2. Some of the things I like, in no particular order: Magic Flute, Bolero, Nocturnes. After Trak mentioned Phillip Glass, I remembered that I had a fascination with Einstein on the Beach during a period of time earlier in the decade. But generally, I'm more of a listen-to-the-whole-opera person than somebody into particular pieces of other kind. I guess I like it when there's a story, in this case libretto, to go along with music.

I also liked a particular trend in European dance music from late 90s and early 00s when classical pieces were set as a background of slower songs. A band called Sweetbox was pretty prominent with that kind of stuff.

3. Here in Belgrade, my favourite place is an Italian restaurant called Piccolo in the Zira mall & hotel close to my home. I'm going there tomorrow, most likely. :) It's a mid-range restaurant. I'm not too fond of the high-end ones as their portions may be ridiculously small even for somebody using an insulin regulating medicine, and snobbish people will hang around. I am not a big fan of super-cheap places, either; due to food mostly being fifty shades of lard with some parsley for decoration.

If you're up for something famous-ish and authentic in Serbia I would recommend Sidro, a restaurant on the bank of Danube (eat your heart out, Chyntuck and GIVE ME THAT HOLESTEROL WITH MUSHROOMS!) with live music and a stunning view of that bridge I'm in love with and its sibling. I also once went to places in Budapest (Paprika) and Vienna (West End Cafe) without knowing they were a big deal.

Sentimental value-wise, there used to be this more or less of a hole on the corner of the main street and the street where trucks were going by night in a small coastal town in Greece where we used to go in the summer. We made friends with the owner and we'd eat there every night and he'd cook us special meals. I'd eat some sort of pork pieces marinated in red wine and look at the archeological site across the street. Best times ever.

19. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Below brings up a good point. With one person asking the questions and multiple people answering, questions are bound to come up. I think it's okay to ask questions/answer people's questions, but let's try and keep this from becoming another social thread. (This will be one of the feeling out how it works parts. :) )

I don't want to link to it because while I say I live in Boston, I don't actually live in Boston (only a few miles away though) and it kinda gives too much away as to where I live, but I will post some pictures of it I've found on the net.

The whole place is decorated like this:
    [​IMG]
    This is the clock above the front door.

[​IMG]

A cool guy that sits on one of the walls.

[​IMG]
    The only picture I can find of my favorite piece, which is a dragonfly.

They also have a hand in a cage (you can kinda see in the bottom left of the last picture), and a octopus which is made out of gears and tubing, of course. Their menus have old pictures on them that then have been photo shopped to have steam punk elements: top hats, gears, machines, etc.

20. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    I officially like this RFFAMA concept :)
    Other than modern Greek I can speak, read and write English and French, with a nasty tendency to roll the Rrrrrrrrs. I can also speak the Egyptian dialect of Arabic, which means that I can communicate with pretty much everyone in the Arab world because they all watch Egyptian soap operas :p but I can't understand other dialects or classical Arabic. I have a somewhere-below-basic knowledge of German. I also learned a lot of Latin and Ancient Greek in school, but then did everything I could to forget those as soon as I went to university (I was quite successful with Latin, actually, in terms of forgetting everything I used to know).
    I'm not sure if impressionist music qualifies as "classical"? If yes, I'll go with Claude Debussy, specifically Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune. If no, I'll go with Rossini's Il barbiere di Siviglia -- there's so much humour and irony in the music itself, it always makes me giggle.

Then there's a sort of classical music that's defined as "classical" only in Greece, since it was developed after World War II. It's called έντεχνο (éntechno) and it's orchestral music that integrates elements of Greek folk music and songs. In that category, my favourite composer is Manos Hadjidakis for his Magnus Eroticus (although his best-known song internationally is The Children of Piraeus for the movie Never on Sunday, and that's not έντεχνο at all!)
    Well, it's got to be the Cretan place I mentioned earlier in this thread - you know, the one where they serve structured cholesterol stuffed in mushrooms and where I'll teach Cretan songs to Gamiel when I can corner him. It's called Η Κρήτη (I Kríti, which conveniently means "Crete") and it's located at 5, Veranzerou street in Athens. It fulfills criteria a, b and c =P~

Findswoman , Gamiel and Ewok Poet like this.
  21. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Like every other Canadian kid, I learned (Québécois) French from cereal boxes. Kidding aside, even though I took French in school and my step-family is from Quebec, my French is REALLY BAD. I used to be pretty fluent in ASL (American Sign Language) back in elementary school, but after my father went blind, it was PRETTY useless to me. I've never really had many people to converse with it anyways.

Edvard Grieg. I LOVE playing "Morning" and "In The Hall of the Mountain King". And, of course Fredric Chopin. I love his Funeral March. Also Alexander Vasilyevich Alexandrov, because there was no national anthem quite like the Soviet National Anthem.
    a) Hmm. I had some interesting dining experiences back in high school on band trips, but none quite like the time in Ottawa. I can't remember the name of it, but we all (all 30-something 15-17 year olds) went to this old tavern. Food was good and we all learned how to make chickens out of napkins.
    b) I love Red Robins. We don't have the finest selection of restaurants here, but I've never has anything I didn't like there. Their mac and cheese is to die for.

22. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Lua, Python, and I'm starting to learn Perl. Er, wait, you didn't mean programming languages? :p I am a native speaker of English, and that is all I speak/read/write. I know a few words here and there in a few other languages, but just a few.

I, uh, don't listen to classical music. [face_blush]

Gold Star Chili. Give me a 3-way* and a cheese coney**, no mustard or onions. And that crap called Skyline is not an acceptable substitute. :p Unfortunately the only Gold Star in my county shut down at the end of the year, and the closest remaining one is now half an hour away. :(

* 3-way = spaghetti topped with Cincinnati-style chili and a heaping mound of shredded cheddar cheese. You can also get a 4-way (add onions OR beans) or a 5-way (add onions AND beans), but I prefer the 3-way.
    ** Cheese coney = hot dog on a bun topped with Cincinnati-style chili, shredded cheddar cheese, and optionally mustard and/or onions.

23. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    *Googles Cincinnati-style chili*

*Two minutes later: decides it sounds brilliant, even more so because according to Wikipedia, "restaurants that feature Cincinnati chili are frequently called chili parlors." How awesome is that?*

Anyone who has a recipe with secret tips, please post it in the foodies' thread :cool:

24. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    2. Cushy does like Classical music as a fair amount can calm my nerves and focus me.
    Johann Pachelbel - Canon in D Major is a particular favourite.

Ewok Poet, Findswoman and Chyntuck like this.
  25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    1. Foreign languages Took French in high school & Spanish in college. Know a spattering still of Spanish. Got kinda rusty :p so can understand more than I can talk. Know some Japanese also from being a blend. LOL See #3.

2. Classical composer Don't know the pieces per se but I love Bach and Mozart, the smooth flowing sound particularly of the piano/violin pieces.

3. Favorite foods Any kind of sushi. I could eat it seven days a week! I also like a steakhouse where I can get parmesan garlic fries and stuffed fillet. It's a steak that either has bacon and cheese in it or mushrooms. They also during the season have fried green tomatoes as an appetizer. Yum!

mavjade , Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.