main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FanFic Ask Me Anything ~*~ Version 3.0 Daily Questions (See list on pg 164 or 1)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Street and woods.

This Five Nights at Freddy's wallpaper.

I have far too many favorites to pick just one.

Findswoman likes this.
  2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    My pathetic back yard, then a elementary school yard. Fairly boring, but there are some epic storm clouds brewing.
    I'm fairly boring. Its just the Orion Nebula (Link to image). I used to always have a Japanese NJO cover as my background, then I went through my issues with Disney's bomb to the EU and I just couldn't look at all the characters I had lost. On my ipad I have a image of a quote from The Thick of It on the TARDIS. If you know the show, you KNOW it's not TOS friendly (lots of bad words).
    I'm really weird. I LOVE old maps. Here is one of my favourites. It's the Fra Mauro map done in ~1450. Here's a website where you can see it, zoom in nicely, ect. South is at the top, just BTW.

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  3. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Front window: In order of increasing distance, front yard, pothole-filled street that the city is ignoring, house on the corner that has two dogs that are kept permanently outside in the fenced-in backyard and never allowed inside. :mad:

Side window: if you look over the window A/C unit, an excellent view of our privacy fence that is about four feet away from the window. :p Vanish the fence, and you get an excellent view of occasional drug deals, because that window faces the driveway of the drug dealers' house next door. [face_sigh] Hopefully they'll get evicted soon, since their house is in foreclosure. :D

A slideshow of 33 landscapes (and a few cityscapes) pilfered from this category on Wikimedia Commons (a shared media repository used by all Wikimedia Foundation projects, including Wikipedia). They change at random every five minutes.

Uh... I am not an visual art fan. :p I'm not the type that will look at art for the sake of looking at art, and I quit taking art class in school as soon as it was no longer mandatory. I gravitate more toward photography and (to some extent) performance arts.

4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    DAY FIVE

1. Cold/cool or hot/warm? Tell us your temperature preference for (a) weather and (b) drinks.
    Cool-ish weather. I don't like it when it goes above 25 degrees. We don't have an AC because mom is against it (and I don't think I could get away with buying one, either)

2. Soft/chewy or hard/firm? Tell us your texture preference for (a) mattresses and (b) candies. (Or any other sort of treat or snack, if you don't or can't eat candy.)
    I've been sleeping on a really, really hard, 68-year-old mattress for years now. I am not sure if it fits me, but then again, the super soft one on the big bed in the other room causes me pain. Since it's a non-removable mattress and it's actually a part of the bed frame itself, I plan to change the entire bed and, once I have a chance to have a removable mattress, I'm thinking of getting one of these, but the 2-in-1 one which has a hard and a soft side is kinda expensive. Hmmm...

3. Are there any textures that creep you out, disgust you, or otherwise give you the willies? (E.g., I can't stand things that are jiggly and gelatinous; for the Findshusband, it's raw meat.)
    Here is a weird one - nails and teeth at the same time. When I see a person pick their nails with their teeth, I want to knock them down. GROSS, GROSS GROSS.

Raw meat? OK. Jelly? OK. Lard? OK. Maybe I'm extra-weird.

And yeah, I do shower with jelly. A lot. I mean, BIG CALM.

DAY SIX

1. What's the view out your nearest window?

Have a look. Three beautiful black locust trees and a reasonably wide street, so the buildings you see are pretty far away.
    [​IMG]

2. What's the backdrop/wallpaper/etc. of whatever device you're using right now? You may either describe it or share the image, using spoiler tags at your discretion for large images and of course bearing in mind the TOS.
    [​IMG]

3. Share one of your all-time favorite works of visual art (painting, drawing, sculpture, etc.). Again, use spoiler tags if needed, and adhere to the TOS.
    That would be The Front Veranda (1986).

Findswoman likes this.
  5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    1. Cold/cool or hot/warm? Tell us your temperature preference for (a) weather and (b) drinks.
    Weather: Fall is my favorite, cool nights, cool to slightly warm days.
    Drinks: I like both, I love a hot cup of coffee and a hot cup of tea, but I also love iced tea and iced coffee. I have a taste aversion to hot liquor though, so adult beverages are usually cold. (Mulled wine is an exception)

2. Soft/chewy or hard/firm? Tell us your texture preference for (a) mattresses and (b) candies. (Or any other sort of treat or snack, if you don't or can't eat candy.)
    Mattress: Medium. I can't handle a really soft mattress, it makes my back hurt. If I had to choose between a really soft mattress and a really firm one, I'd choose firm.
    Candy: I like Chewy things, but I have to be careful because I have a permanent retainer on my lower teeth. I also like hard candies to suck on, so I don't know that I really have a preference here.

3. Are there any textures that creep you out, disgust you, or otherwise give you the willies? (E.g., I can't stand things that are jiggly and gelatinous; for the Findshusband, it's raw meat.)
    Hmmm... Not that I can think of, though I'm sure there's something. I'll touch anything so long as I have gloves on. I'm not the biggest fan of things that have tons of holes... it kinda creeps me out, but that's not really a texture thing, more of a visual thing.

1. What's the view out your nearest window?
    Right now it's mostly the otherside of the hospital, but if you look really far to the left you can see the gold dome of the capital of MA. If I went to the otherside of the unit there is a beautiful view of the Charles River and Cambridge, MA. They gave the ICU patients the boring view. ;)

2. What's the backdrop/wallpaper/etc. of whatever device you're using right now? You may either describe it or share the image, using spoiler tags at your discretion for large images and of course bearing in mind the TOS.
    I'm on a boring work computer, so it's just a blue background. On my phone I've got a picture of the dog I grew up with (Argus) wearing a pair of sunglasses and on my home laptop I have a drawing of the Doctors 9, 10 and 11 with their companions as children.

3. Share one of your all-time favorite works of visual art (painting, drawing, sculpture, etc.). Again, use spoiler tags if needed, and adhere to the TOS.
    It's hard to pick one, but a piece I am drawn to over and over is Degas' Little Dancer Age Fourteen Years.

Findswoman likes this.
  6. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    My own answers:

1. The north side of my backyard, which is lined by three linden trees. The neighbors' deck and lilac bush is just beyond, and then beyond that is the prairie.

2. On my laptop, it's this:

[​IMG]

It's one of the wallpapers that came with my computer at work (which runs Windows 7), and I just thought it had kind of a fun, colorful, whimsical look, so I copied it and brought it home to my Mac laptop, too.

3. It's very hard to choose just one, of course, so I'll narrow it down by sharing one of my favorites among artworks I've seen in person (in this case, at the Hamburg Kunsthalle):

[​IMG]

You may or may not believe me how long it took me to hunt down a decently sized web image of this! It doesn't even seem to be on http://www.gabrielvonmax.com for whatever reason (though the other pictures there make me very curious to see more of his paintings in person).

Final batch of questions on its way later, as soon as I can come up with some interesting and clever things to ask about hearing.

Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  7. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    And now for the very last round of questions, which mostly have to do with the sense of hearing:

1. What sounds do you hear where you are right now? This can be anything from the music you're listening to to TV to the whir of your CPU fan to the hum of the refrigerator to noises of traffic outside to... you get the idea.

2. Choose one of your OCs, and tell us how you imagine that OC's voice to sound. (If you aren't an OC type, feel free to choose any EU character who doesn't have a speaking role in movies or TV.)

3. And finally, the classic: if you had to choose deafness or blindness, which would you choose, and why?

Thank you all—this has been fun. :)

Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  8. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    The whir of my Ubuntu laptop running right next to me, plus the sizzle of Dad cooking his late dinner on the stove. Expecting the smoke alarm to go off shortly, signaling that his dinner is done. :p

(This is an RPG character that hasn't been used here in the fanfic section, so here is a reference to my post in the OC Index.) Jado Nalo: I imagine his voice as being a little higher in pitch than most human boys his age (currently 16), but still distinctly male (as in you wouldn't mistake it for female over a comlink). Of course, as puberty takes hold, the pitch would come down noticeably, but even as an adult it still would be rather high for a human male. Usually, his voice would sound confident, even when he's not, but in rare cases, his fear and/or distress can break through, such as when he was forced to kill his own Master.

Deafness, easily. Because: 1) it wouldn't hamper my ability to write fanfic, 2) I'm already a halfway decent lip reader, and 3) I'd finally be able to ignore Dad when he calls for me and get away with it. :p

Findswoman likes this.
  9. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    1. Either music, the ambiance of whatever game I happen to be playing, or simply the whirr of the computer fans—my PC has five of them; three in the case, one on the CPU, and one in the graphics card.

2. My most-used OC, Laera Reyolé, always had the voice of Kate Mulgrew. A fine actress with roles in television, movies, and even in video games, her voice and demeanor can be quite commanding when the need arises.

3. Deafness, since so much of what I do is visual, but either would just about cripple me creatively and in terms of life enjoyment. I'd chew on some copper-coated candy if I were struck blind.

Findswoman likes this.
  10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    The washing machine. Normally I have music on, but I have a tad of a headache.
    Hmm. I have OCs, but since I'm on a bit of a Breha kick and the actress doesn't have any speaking lines, I'll pick her. I kinda base her voice off of Freema Agyeman's but with a much lighter accent. Her voice is kinda in the middle in terms of female tone, but she is intelligent and well educated and that comes out in her voice.
    I'd honestly be okay with either, but if I had to pick, I'd chose blindness. My father was blind and I grew up knowing how to use a cane, how to read braille, and how to use text-to-speech software. And I couldn't live without music. Becoming blind is something I may (HOPEFULLY NOT THOUGH) have to face in my future and I'm okay with that.

However, not being able to drive would suck. Plus I'm already kinda mute and I use to be fluent in sign language, so being deaf wouldn't be TOO large of a leap.

Basically, when you are already crippled and was raise by a blind father and a deaf grandfather, you know how to adapt and physical disability isn't that scary.

11. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I'm going to assume this is directed at me.

Well Bri, all I can say is this: I'm already half-blind and have been so since birth, and it's been tough to adapt and learn to own this handicap, and am fully aware of what can be done to make life easier for blind and deaf folks alike (as well as having attended a deaf/blind boarding school). I've also had far more time than you to think about such things, how they'd impact my life—you aren't the only one here with physical issues—and what would become of me were such senses taken away. So much of what makes my life worth living is tied up in my visual sense, to a degree that goes beyond irony, and to have that taken away by whatever means would be so utterly devastating that I shudder to even contemplate it. I already can't drive, and at times it seems like my vision is slowly degrading, to the point that I have to wear an opti-visor to read paperback books now.

In other words, "no u."

12. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Nobody said that anywhere. Bri said that the lives of the disabled are worth living and she was talking about herself, her father and her grandfather, each of whom has a different disability.

The "I am older than you" argument has nothing to do with it, either.

TrakNar likes this.
  13. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    1. The neighbours' rooftop and TV antenna :mad: I used to be able to see the sea from that window, until they came and built their building.

[​IMG]

It's a screenshot/wallpaper from a documentary that friends of mine made about HIV criminalisation in Greece.

Mary Magdalene in Penitence by El Greco (or Domenikos Theotokopoulos, as we like to call him around here :p )

[​IMG]
    1. The little birds that made their nest in the drainpipe above my window. They come every year and we're kind of friends.

2. This is an amazing question that needs to find its way to the OC revolution thread. Okay. Onion should have Al Pacino's voice.

3. I went once to a restaurant in Paris where you dine in a black room to recreate the experience of being blind. It made me feel completely inadequate -- first, because I'm a very clumsy person in general, and if you take away my sense of sight I become a walking, talking hazard, and second, because the waiters (who were blind) were moving around in there with such ease. So I think I'd rather be deaf. If nothing else, I'd be less likely to cause an accident.
    Thank *you*

14. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Oh my sweet holy Dark Side it's the question thread why is everything on fire.

I feel compelled to comment on the "discussion" and yet I have no adequate words.

So, question responses instead.

The standing fan running on high, which blots out all the other noises. It's okay, though. I get so used to that sound in summer that I now have a white noise generator for the creepy silence of winter.

Okay, I'll pick Tamir Zelenus from Shark Kibble since I never gave any thought to his voice. And oops, I just admitted that I don't plan it all. :p He spent most of his early years in the Outer Rim, so anything is possible. I think I'll go with a Texas accent (GFFA equivalent, of course) -- but with a hint of Core Worlds (which seems to include both English and Scottish actors from what I can tell) that comes from hanging around Imperials.

Deafness, since being blind would present more practical hazards and limit my freedom a lot more (not that there aren't workarounds, but it's a matter of degree.) And some people in my family have developed hearing problems with age. I'd feel awfully silly if I chose one thing and ended up with the other too because of my genetics.

TrakNar, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  15. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    1. What sounds do you hear where you are right now?
    Currently, I hear the sound of the Omni cell (the thing that we get medications out of) being used... it's little beeps with the buttons and metal drawers opening and closing. I also hear a vent alarming but know by the sound that it's not something that I need to jump up and check on. I can also hear the sound of the ventilator itself, it's a slight movement of air that sounds slightly different depending on if the patient is breathing in or out, and I can use those sounds to know a lot about the patient. I also hear the alarm of a blood pressure being too high or too low and a few nurses talking while they work.

2. Choose one of your OCs, and tell us how you imagine that OC's voice to sound. (If you aren't an OC type, feel free to choose any EU character who doesn't have a speaking role in movies or TV.)
    Hmmm.... interesting question, I don't know that I've really ever thought about it, with an OC or an established character, unless the writing is done in a manor that is really obvious, and sometimes hard to read if done a lot. I think I tend to think of most characters as 'accentless' which really isn't possible, so I probably think of most of them as the typical American 'accentless-ness'.

3. And finally, the classic: if you had to choose deafness or blindness, which would you choose, and why?
    This is something that I've thought about a fair bit, and if I could choose, I think I would choose to be deaf. I'm such a visual learner, that just hearing things doesn't make things stick for me, I think I'd have a hard time learning if I was blind. That being said, I'm sure I'd adapt if the situation arose.

Findswoman likes this.
  16. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Thank you Finswoman for asking questions again!

If you would like to be the Question Master for the first time, or again, please send me a PM!

This week, our Question Master is JadeLotus

Ewok Poet likes this.
  17. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005

Briannakin, I'm not sure if you know this, but the actress who played Breha (Rebecca Jackson Mendoza) was part of a short-lived Australian pop duo Jackson Mendoza. If you're brave, you can watch one of their songs in all of its terrible, late-90's glory here:

I don't know if you imagined Breha with a singing voice, but...there you go.

1. The hum of my fridge and the sound of my dog pitter-pattering along the kitchen tiles.

2. Ohh, good question! Most of my OCs are based on actors I imagine in those roles, and they either use their natural accent or an accent I've heard them use with a character. I guess the most distinct is my OC Zebula Pavish - whose natural accent is akin to a South London accent (and very much like John Boyega's character in Attack the Block.)

And I know it's not an OC, but my headcanon voice for Mara Jade is a crisp Coruscanti/Imperial accent - that it Received Pronunciation ("posh" English), pitched lower than the average and very dry.

3. Deafness, so I could still read and write easily.

18. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    Thanks Findswoman for the great week of questions!

I'm always looking for good media recommendations, so let's start with that.

1. Name one book you feel is underrated, and briefly explain why we should read it.

2. Name one movie you feel is underrated, and briefly explain why we should watch it.

3. Name one tv show you feel is underrated, and briefly explain why we should watch it.

You can use your own definition of "underrated" and if you're not sure, just choose something you would like to recommend.

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  19. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    CPU fan on BroNar's computer, keystrokes, and the ringing in my ears.

Lavinnia has a quiet, high-pitched, timid little voice that's slightly nasal. Prof has a flat, broken voice with a staccato, halting style of speech due to his CP.

And... Zuckuss's voice is high-pitched, somewhat nasal, and he has a prominent lateral lisp. Similar to the Nerd on Robot Chicken, but with a Fargo accent.

Zchuckusch schoundsch like thisch, dontcha know.

Deaf.

I need my eyes to draw. They're not great and I'm going blind in my right, but I need them. However, I've been able to function in the dark without them.

I can't hear for crap in crowds and my hearing is selective at best. Honestly, it wasn't that hard a decision.

Incarceron, by Catherine Fisher. Honestly, I just don't see much talk about it. The premise was quite unique and I read it at random and was surprised. It's worth checking out.

Sapphique, though... eh.

City of Lost Children.

Freakin' weird. It's a French film starring Ron Perlman. Very steampunk, much gadegetry. Wow. Much weird.

*throws Ren & Stimpy at you all*

Go watch for sheer insanity and demented animation!

JadeLotus and Findswoman like this.
  20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    My side rant was not directed at anyone. It just pointed out something said to physically disabled people (a lot) and I wanted to educate you guys as to why it is offensive.

Anyways!

I did know this. However, I have yet to be able to sit through one of her songs. She isn't a bad singer... I just never was into the late 90s Australian pop scene :p . However, I just found out that she played Galadriel in the Lord Of The Rings Musical, so I managed to find a short clip of that. That is much more how I envision Breha to sound like.

ANYWAYS

I'm not sure if any of these are 'underrated' but definitely less well-known
    Mortal Coils by Eric Nylund. It's a bit tropy with the whole "orphaned male-female twins with unknown powers" however, it turns out that their mother was an angel and their father is Lucifer. The twins have to prove themselves worthy of becoming angels by passing 3 heroic tests, while the fallen angels try to tempt them. If you can get past the tropes, it really is some class A fantasy. I have yet to read the sequel (its on my summer reading list).
    I really can't think of one right now. IDK if this counts but I seemed to like Sunshine Cleaners more than anyone else.
    Midsomer Murders. It's a British crime drama. I'm not normally into mysteries, but it is very intelligently done. The only downside is that you actually have to pay attention (its not something to try to watch while make dinner).

JadeLotus, TrakNar and Ewok Poet like this.
  21. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Findswoman:

1. What sounds do you hear where you are right now?

TV through the walls and plane overhead.

2. Toru Fireheart sounds exactly like Jeremy Irons because it's who inspires him. I tend to read with UK accents in mind or American based on writing style.

3. I am challenged enough as it is. I abstain from this question.

Jade Lotus:

1. The Bible. Because it's packed with wisdom.

2. The Words. Because it admits that for some a writer's work truly is their life blood and that tarnishing it or stealing it is very damaging.

3. Life and Times of Grizzly Addams. It's wholesome and informative about nature and relationships.

Findswoman , JadeLotus and TrakNar like this.
  22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    DAY SEVEN

1. What sounds do you hear where you are right now? This can be anything from the music you're listening to to TV to the whir of your CPU fan to the hum of the refrigerator to noises of traffic outside to... you get the idea.
    Tiziano Ferro - 10 piagementi!

I give my human protagonist, Doria Vorr, a Daria-like voice (though she was not inspired by Daria otherwise, in any way). So...very monotonous, with the "not amused quality". She would be an alto.

Her mother, Maris Vorr, would start out with a similar voice, slightly higher.

Deeply Religious all have Californian surfer type accents, so does the other band that may only be mentioned for now. Koobalt Nubes, the Ortolan drummer, has a squeaky voice on top of it.

Deeina Ferry's accent could spoil things, so NO.

Another person with a squeaky-ish voice is Code:Blue, the naive little man in the censorship offices in the Sacorrian government.

I am yet to come up with voices for my Drall lead Gredda and her aunt, Dutchess Branna, the little nephew Ebe and others.

In terms of how canon and legends Ewoks speak Basic in my post-ROTJ universe, I give Wicket the actual, human voice of Warwick Davis (so, basically, what he spoke like in the Battle for Endor is how I imagine him speaking Basic), Teebo would sound kinda like the female chickens and peacocks from Sven Bømwøllen games (it makes sense), Latara would have a mock Lauren Bacall voice (as in, she would try to make it sound that deep, but fail each time)...didn't think about the others yet.

No. :p

Now for JadeLotus questions:

DAY ONE

1. Name one book you feel is underrated, and briefly explain why we should read it.
    Anything that's not in English, actually. Anglocentric culture is swallowing the world and, before the internet, I had no idea that things like Dante's Inferno, Russian classics, German classicism poetry and Gillgamesh were not required reads in most places.

2. Name one movie you feel is underrated, and briefly explain why we should watch it.
    Strange Days! That film inspired so many dystopian films of the last twenty years and the number of films that shamelessly borrowed half of its plot is crazy. Also, Skunk Anansie and Juliette Lewis covering PJ Harvey appear in it.

Also, the Swedish cartoon I mentioned in the social thread last night. Pelle Svanslös and its surreal, psychedelic sequel Pelle Svanslös i Amerikatt.

3. Name one tv show you feel is underrated, and briefly explain why we should watch it.
    I am the wrong person to ask this. :p So, yeah, everybody go watch Star Wars: Ewoks if you want to see great worldbuilding, some well-developed characters not common for 1980s animation, storylines themselves taking a backseat and, on top of it, great animation. This playlist has everything.

If that's the same thing I watched as a kid, then I definitely have memories of it. :D

JadeLotus and Findswoman like this.
  23. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    To my own last set of questions:

1. The clock ticking. The very soft whir of my external hard drive. A lone bird twittering outside. The Findshusband practicing karate in the basement. My fingers tapping the keyboard.

2. I imagine Glockel Sternenkranz with the voice of my friend Berenike, who was indispensable in helping me get my bearings the first time I visited Germany for my doctoral research. She has the kind of German accent that is very lyrical and a bit singsong in places. That, or a sort of adult version of Pippi Longstocking (and yes, I know she's originally Swedish rather than German :p ).

For nonspeaking canon characters, I often think in terms of operatic voice types (for whatever reason :p ). So I hear Zuckuss, for example, as the kind of semi-rare very high tenor voice that in 17th- and early-18th-century France was known as haute-contre. Either that or a countertenor, or even a trouser role (which indeed he already is in ESB). 4-LOM would be closer to a more typical tenor, and he would sing a third or a sixth below Zuckuss in ensembles.

And Thrawn might be a Kavalierbariton. :D

3. I would choose blindness, hands down. Life without music and without being able communicate vocally would be very hard for me to bear—I consider those things very essential parts of my own human experience. Given how many fantastic adaptive technologies there now are out there in the form of dictation software, screen readers, audiobooks, etc., I doubt I would have to give up things like reading, writing, or fanfic—just find different ways to accomplish them.

And to JadeLotus 's first set of questions:

1. This isn't a single book, but I feel that Nathaniel Hawthorne's short stories often get overshadowed by those of his slightly more famous contemporary Edgar Allan Poe. Poe's work might be outright weirder and scarier, but in a lot of ways Hawthorne manages to get more psychology into his "weird tales" than Poe, and the way he blends those weird element so organically into historical "real life" world settings is fascinating and masterful. And I personally find his writing more beautiful than Poe's.

2. This one's tough for me, since I'm not a big movie person, so I'll just mention what I consider an underappreciated aspect of a well-known movie: the way Disney's Sleeping Beauty integrates and transforms the music from the eponymous Tchaikovsky ballet. I have a friend who plans to write a chapter about this in a book on Tchaikovsky's ballet music.

3. To the Manor Born (1979–81). It's one of those half-funny, half serious BBC shows of a certain era that's been largely forgotten in favor of some of the other BBC shows of that time that were more over-the-top. One of its main themes is the tensions (perceived and real) between old-fashioned landed elites and more modern "nouveau riche" classes, and it does so in a very thought-provoking and sensitive manner while still allowing for a good dose of humor. And I think it's got some really swell female characters: although the main tension is between the bumblingly-uptight-but-not-unlikable Audrey fforbes-Hamilton (no, the initial lowercase F is not a mistake) and her nouveau-riche grocery-magnate neighbor Richard DeVere, I also really loved the "mismatched friends" dynamic between Audrey and her more laid-back friend Marjory Frobisher.

JadeLotus, Ewok Poet and TrakNar like this.
  24. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    I'm writing down all of these great recommendations!

Day 2 - time to get your rant on, if you like.

1. Name a movie you feel is overrated and explain why.

2. Name a book you feel is overrated and explain why.

3. Name a tv show you feel is overrated and explain why.

Alternatively, you can use something you simply dislike.

25. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    1. Name a movie you feel is overrated and explain why.

Cannot think of an over-rated film, right now, let alone why.

2. Name a book you feel is overrated and explain why.

The Necroscope series by Brian Lumley, but only because the author, or whomever does the paperback cover
    write-ups makes such a big deal of what a terrifying horror the novels are to read.

Nope.

It's probably all that if you are an inhabitant of the worlds described, but as a reader, nothing horrifying at all.

I love the books, though they are an effort to read, but specifically as horrors, over-rated.

3. Name a tv show you feel is overrated and explain why.

Charmed. C'Boath on a bike, what a charmless piece of sith. Three opinionated girls who blast away - vanquish - at other powered beings with barely any provocation or consequence.

Oh jeez, that brings me to Lost Girl, the title character has a nice ensemble around her - werewolf cop, black cop, midget bartender who seems to be a respected VIP within the faerie culture, and a shy girl whose virtue seems to be loyalty and refusal to seek safety when told, but the title character is just a ******* serial killer of fae and humans alike, which makes it very hard to be sympathetic to her.

JadeLotus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.