main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FanFic Ask Me Anything ~*~ Version 3.0 Daily Questions (See list on pg 164 or 1)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Oh, my other choice breakfast is dippy-eggs (preferably over-easy), waffles, and scrapple.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    1. Are you the type that is able to remember jokes or riddles?

2. Favorite Disney movie(s)?

3. Do you have the interest or talent to fix stuff around the house, electrical, flooring, your PC? ;)

Chyntuck likes this.
  3. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Yes. :)

I like my cuteness dark, meaningful, somewhat painful, noir or psychedelic. Oliver & co, Rescuers, Rescuers Down Under, The Great Mouse Detective, Fantasia, Alice in Wonderland. Oh, and I also like the semi-animated ones, like Bedknobs and Broomsticks(the one with "treguna mekoides trecorum satis dee" spell) and Mary Poppins, but mostly for music. The thing when penguins stack and the music goes rootooototooooo is just too awesome! The kite song, too.

Honorable mention goes to a single scene to A Little Mermaid, in Under The Sea, where that little crab drums on that huge fish's teeth. I've been obsessed with that moment since...forever. Don't like the film, love the scene,

I can't stand Mulan. Ugh. So many things, so many wrong things...and that annoying...thing. Not big on the romantic ones and fairy tale adaptations and myths that have nothing to do with originals.

There are many I didn't see, e.g. ...all newer ones.

On the contrary, I love the comics, Don Rosa's stuff in particular.

3. Do you have the interest or talent to fix stuff around the house, electrical, flooring, your PC? ;)
    Partly. I learned a lot from my dad.

4. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I love Mulan! It's actually one of my favourites, so I'd be interested to hear your issues with it.

mavjade likes this.
  5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    My answers:

1. Favorite Disney movie(s) are Aladen for the exotic setting, the song "Whole New World" ;) and the genie. [face_love] I also liked Mulan. "Frozen" is amazing. mrjop2 did a fantastic job in the NSWFF side of expanding that story. =D=

2. I can remember jokes and /or riddles but not indefinitely. I have to tell them to others pretty quickly after I hear them the first time. LOL

3. Fixer-upper: Nope! I wish. :rolleyes:

Chyntuck likes this.
  6. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    1. Rarely can I remember a joke.

2. Avengers.

3. I can do tile work.

7. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    1. I rarely even comprehend jokes never mind remember them. So not Cushy's thing.

2. Last major Disney film I enjoyed that I know of is The Lion King. Love me a Taka! [face_love] I don't dislike romance I dislike handling quite a bit. I liked Beauty and the Beast and Little Mermaid somewhat. Cushy detests when someone tries to force me to accept what I consider wrong or off and many films and books do this.

3. Cushy is all about internal repair of self and others. Emotions, patience, support. Around the house have no talent. Sometimes I can't even hold an eating utensil without it quivering like a leaf.

8. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Usually I can.

Frozen, Tangled (I love Maximus!), The Lion King

3. Do you have the interest or talent to fix stuff around the house, electrical, flooring, your PC?
    I can do some basic stuff, but I wouldn't attempt anything electrical or any significant plumbing. I can fix some computer issues.

9. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Yep.

The Lion King

Yep. I do minor repair jobs. Plumbing, some electrical, some minor carpentry, some PC repair (mostly on other people's PCs)...

10. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Not at all! If I try to tell a joke, I usually don't remember the punch line at all. I'm not a very funny person... at least not intentionally. :p

I'm going to take this as Disney, Disney, not Disney took over Disney (Marvel, LFL, etc.).

Tangled, The Lion King, Aladdin

3. Do you have the interest or talent to fix stuff around the house, electrical, flooring, your PC?
    Eh, not really. I can work a lot of power tools, but don't really have the know how to fix many things (I do try sometimes, though). One of the great things about renting instead of owning is when something major is messed up, you just call the landlord. :)

11. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    1. Nope. I have a terrible memory for that kind of thing and can never quite get the timing or cadence right for jokes.

2. Mulan! Lea Salonga singing Reflection and Ming Na's voice performance always cut to the heart for me. I also love a few of what I feel are the underrated movies like Lilo and Stitch and the Princess and the Frog. I much prefer hand drawn animation to CG.

Oh, and Hercules! It makes the Greek mythology buff in me cringe but it is so damn enjoyable - and quotable!

3. Nope! I have zero talent in those areas, unless you count calling my Dad and asking him to come over and do it for me :p

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    1. Growing up, did you know your grandparents on either/both sides? Did you spend a lot of time with them?

2. Is there a day so happy you wouldn't mind reliving it over, and what is it? :D

3. Donuts: Favorite filling and/or glaze?

Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    1. Growing up, did you know your grandparents on either/both sides? Did you spend a lot of time with them?
    Only my grandmothers, one of whom died when I was 10 and the other when I was 14. My paternal grandfather died of pneumonia a little more than two years before I was born. My mother never got to know her father, as he moved to New Zealand with a German bar singer at the end of WWII, not knowing his family in Yugoslavia was alive. He was found hung two months before he was supposed to come back and eventually meet his daughter; the investigation was not held, though there were some fishy circumstances behind it. :( My grandmother's second husband is a vague memory, as he died when I was three years old.

2. Is there a day so happy you wouldn't mind reliving it over, and what is it?
    In each period of life, there is one such day and once we move on, such a day loses its significance...so, no, I prefer to cherish my memories of such days - even when they appear to be sweeter in history.

Haven't had a single donut after dad's passing in 2010; as he used to make them on old calendarist New Year's Eve (January 13th) each year. Need to try and make some myself, using his recipe. I like them plain, no glaze, no filling.

Nyota's Heart and Findswoman like this.
  14. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    1. I only knew my maternal grandmother. She wanted to live in her house when she was old, but we couldn't leave her alone. My 4th grade self became her "Life Alert" I would call my family or an ambulance if she fell and could not get up. I stayed with her on the weekends and summers from 4th grade until she passed away when I was in ninth grade. My older brother stayed with her during the weekdays. It was tough because I didn't see my parents and brothers and sisters or friends on weekends or the summer. It was especially difficult because my grandmother didn't speak a word or English and I didn't speak Spanish....and neither of us ever became bilingual. I never understood what she was saying to me. She yelled at me a lot. I guess she thought if she said something in Spanish LOUDER then I may get it. During the summer she would watch Mexican soap operas all day. If you think American soap operas are bad, you should see how crazy the Mexican version gets. :p I am glad I had the opportunity to get to spend time with her. She was the only grandparent I ever knew.

2. It is weird, the things I reminisce about were the hardest times of my life. I tell my kids about my days in the Army and my favorite stories are the ones where I was miserable...but they make great bragging stories nowadays. Today I can laugh about my time I screwed up a body rappel (rope is wrapped around your body when going down cliff. No equipment, but the rope), flipped over, the rope wrapped around my neck and I ended up hanging from the cliff by the neck. The only thing that saved me was my hand got caught in between my neck and the rope. I was halfway down this small cliff. Some very tall sergeant came and got under me and pushed up on my feet enough that I could unwrap the rope from my neck. Then they told me I did it wrong and I had to do it AGAIN! My kids think that is the funniest story. :p And if that sounds familiar I had that happen to my OC Mark Tantiss when he went to military training.

3. Glazed.

15. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Yes, I knew all six of them (my maternal grandparents divorced when I was very young, and both remarried shortly afterward). I didn't have much contact with my maternal grandfather and stepgrandmother as they lived some distance away, but I did see them occasionally. He died several years ago, and I don't know what the status of her is. My maternal grandmother lived, and still lives, here in my town, so I see her regularly (particularly since my mother now lives with her). She's in her mid-80s now. Her second husband passed away from Alzheimer's about 10 years ago; I was never really close to him. On my dad's side, my grandfather died in 2000 when I was 13, three weeks after being diagnosed with cancer (he had also been dealing with heart problems and diabetes that had eventually left him legally blind since a heart attack in the early 1990s). My paternal grandmother is the grandparent I was closest to when I was growing up, and she's still alive and kicking; she turned 88 years old a couple weeks ago, and is in good health and mostly independent. She's had to deal with a few issues recently, including needing a hip replacement after she was discovered to have a broken hip, and more recently having carpal tunnel surgery on both of her hands, but I would not be surprised to see her live to be 100 years old. :D

None that I can remember. I'm sure I have one, but I have a horrible memory.

Pumpkin Spice Timbits. =P~ (Yes, we have Tim Hortons here in the U.S. Not many, and not everywhere, but we do have them.)

As for filling, I abhor filled donuts. :p

Mira_Jade and amidalachick like this.
  16. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    1. Growing up, did you know your grandparents on either/both sides? Did you spend a lot of time with them? I knew my maternal grandma till I was about 12. My paternal grandpa died when I was 7 or 8. I did not spend much time them. My paternal grandma died when my Dad was 10. My mum didn't really know her father thus I didn't know my maternal grandpa either.

2. Is there a day so happy you wouldn't mind reliving it over, and what is it? :D No. Re-living or time travel doesn't happen for a reason.

3. Donuts: Favorite filling and/or glaze?I don't like fillings. I like maple glaze.

17. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

That's what I thought until I saw the Venezuelan ones. Haaaaaave you heard of Kassandra? :p

Also, JadeLotus - just saw your question, will elaborate in private. Either way, I did not mean to be offensive.

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    1. The only grandparent I knew growing up was on my dad's side. My paternal grandmother visited us and we visited during the summer. She lived in a different state so we saw her and the rest of the extended family usually once or twice a year.

2. Reliving a happy day-- I love how Poet expressed it. =D= You savor the memories and the moment but once you've moved on, there's no reason to wanna go back there. [face_thinking]

3. Donuts-- I love maple glaze, and for filling I absolutely love Bavarian cream, and if there's chocolate glaze on the outside of those, even better! =P~

Chyntuck, Mira_Jade and Ewok Poet like this.
  19. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    Ewok Poet = oh, I wasn't offended, I was genuinely curious :)

Yes. My paternal grandparents lived in the same city and we saw them fairly often. My maternal grandparents lived in another state and we used to go there during the holidays, maybe once a year. They have all passed on now through.

2. Is there a day so happy you wouldn't mind reliving it over, and what is it? :D

Hmmm, maybe one of the days when I was travelling.

Neither - I prefer either plain iced or hot cinnamon donuts.

20. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    I knew them all, but due to family drama and diseases (especially Alzheimer's), I was never close to either side.

Probably the closest relationship I had was with my paternal grandmother, for about three weeks before she died. Because of the drama (which was pointless and stupid on all sides, including my own), we didn't talk for a long time, until we found out she'd been diagnosed with terminal cancer. It was about 4 years ago now, but I still vividly recall walking into the hospital for the first time and being so scared about the whole situation. It was the first time we'd seen each other in several years, and she couldn't talk or sit up, but she held out her hand and smiled. There was no judgment, no grudges, she was just happy that I was there. I remember just sitting there, holding her hand and telling her about my life, and it was just a really special time that I'm so glad to have had.

There's a song that goes, "Don't wipe away my memories/By makin' all my dreams come true/The way it was always seems better/So let me keep on missin' you..."

That's how I feel about those days. They were special moments in my life, and I hold on to the memories, but I wouldn't want to actually go back.

So basically, what Ewok Poet said, only she said it much better than I did. :p

Chocolate glazed, plain glazed, pumpkin, raspberry filled, cream-filled with chocolate icing...donuts are amazing in almost any form. =P~

21. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I knew both my mother's parents and my fathers mother, my father's father died a few years before I was born.
    I spent a decent amount of time with my paternal grandmother because we lived with her at her lake house in the summers (she went to Florida in the winter), she wasn't the nicest lady, but it was fine. She lived to be 98 and the last almost 10 years of her life she was very sweet and loving, something she hadn't been before.

I also spent a decent amount of time with my maternal grandparents, when I was 8 my dad had a heart attack and I had to live with them for a month, I don't remember much about it other than crying to my mom I just wanted to be with them (my mom and dad). I now wish I had appreciated it more, but that's a hard situation as a kid.
    Quite a few years after my grandmother died and I was college age, my grandfather had to have his leg amputated due to a circulation issue, I took turns with my mom staying at his house and helping him. He taught me a lot about cooking/baking and perseverance, because even though he was 80, he didn't let having a leg removed slow him down. He died a few months after I moved to Boston.

There are things I've done in the past I'd like to experience again (doing theater/dance), but those aren't exclusive to going back and reliving over and over,I'd like to do new ones, make new memories. :) But there isn't really a specific day that I can think of that I would relive over and over, I like Ewok Poet's idea on it, that it would no longer be special. We can always relive them in or memories.

On occasion I like a cream filled donut, but I usually can't eat the whole thing. I prefer glazed, doesn't really matter what kind!

22. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004

Not so much, I'm afraid - that's my sister's job in the family. She's a regular Wes Janson. ;)

Ah, Disney movies! My top two would have to be Beauty and the Beast, and Tangled - both for the strength and inner-beauty of the heroines, just as much as I love their romantic plotlines. My third would have to be Lilo and Stich - aliens, Hawaii, and an unconventionally beautiful family - you do not get any better than that! [face_love]

Ack, I wish I had more skills along those lines, but sadly, not so much. :p

My maternal grandmother is the only one of my grandparents still living, and the only one I really had a close relationship with growing up. She actually lives with my parents since she has progressive Multiple Sclerosis, and needs a caretaker as the disease moves on. :( She moved in when I was four, and has always been - and continues to be - a permanent fixture and positive influence in my life. [face_love]

I have to echo the above comments - while there are certainly days that I thoroughly enjoyed and remember with fondness, I do enjoy the nuances and unexpected aspects of each new day. Rather I would say that there are things I would love to do again, but with a whole new day spent living through them. :D

Mmm, a toasty cider mill doughnut for me - preferably with a mug of apple cider to boot! After that, I would take a boston cream doughnut, or one of Tim Horton's pumpkin spice doughnuts - which I think was mentioned above! Excellent taste, jcgoble3! :)

Nyota's Heart and jcgoble3 like this.
  23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I lived in the same house as my grandparents on my dad's side. Pappaw taught me how to paint.

Didn't spend a lot of time with the grandparents on my mom's side, unfortunately.

Not really, no. That day would get boring and tedious really fast.

Plain ol' fastnachts. Nothing special on them or in them. Some sugar and that's it.

24. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Yes -- except the punch line, that is [face_chicken]
    Fantasia all the way!
    The interest, yes. The talent, not so much [face_sigh]

Yes, I got to know all four and to spend time with them, we're a big Greek family after all :p Longevity seems to be in the genes on both sides of the family.

My paternal grandparents (who were both born in the 19th century!) used to live downstairs from us until they passed away when I was a teenager, so I got to see them a lot. My pappou was completely gaga over me, because I was the only grandchild who was close by, so he spoiled me rotten. I didn't get along too well (but not too badly either) with my yiayia because she was really an old-fashioned snob who thought that girls should wear pretty dresses and be educated to read French novels in the lounge while the maid did the household chores. I think she never realised that, after they moved from Egypt to Greece in the 1950s, she didn't have a maid anymore ;)

My maternal grandfather is the one grandparent I knew less, because he and my grandmother were living in Thessaloniki when I was a kid, so it was mostly during the holidays I saw them. But after he passed away, my grandmother came to live with us so I caught up with her, and she's amazing to this day [face_love]
    There's the day my father was released from prison after the fall of the dictatorship (he was a political prisoner). It's more of a constructed memory than an actual one, because I was really very little, so what I "remember" is what my mother told me again and again about it, but it sounds like it was very special.
    Not filling, just a sprinkle of sugar for me. Or I like the Greek version of donuts, loukoumades. They're basically fried batter balls dipped in honey, and when I get that I want a loooot of honey =P~

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I absolutely loved the grandparents answers! =D= [:D]

1. Ever had a dream where you knew you were dreaming and changed the ending? :cool:
    Answer: Yes, I have. It's awesome! Didn't have to study up on how to do it. :)

2. Remakes of classic movies with different actors: do you like these as much, more, or less than the originals? What about novelizations of movies?

Answer: I love novelizations because of the extra scenes, introspections, and more dialogue. Remakes - :rolleyes: can't touch the originals. Cleopatra and Sabrina are two such examples.

3. Do you find "thinking like a reader" or a fan actively helps in the writing process?
    Answer: Yes. I even use that sort of thing for other reading. Except I ask: Will this writer remind me of the brilliance of an ff author?

Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.