main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FanFic Ask Me Anything ~*~ Version 3.0 Daily Questions (See list on pg 164 or 1)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I have a type, and that type is exemplified by Luke Skywalker ;) He's an unabashed hero, committed to doing good with a strong sense of morality, yet is tempted by the darkness and has a dark side to him. I'm drawn to characters who are innately good, but their complexity is in the struggle to maintain that goodness in the face of so much hardship and pain. They can be brash, passionate and make mistakes, but always learn from them and try to fix them. Most of the fictional characters I'm drawn to fit this profile.

I often fear that I write Luke as too powerful and perfect - it's a challenge not to write him as the ever saintly Jedi Master, especially in his interactions with Mara, as there is such a thing as him being too kind and understanding with her. He's kind, but not to the point of weakness, and there is the temptation to give him infinite patience and Jedi calm when it's probably not realistic. Luke's sassy and snarky in a different way to Han and Leia and Mara, and sometimes getting the dialogue right can be hard.

I'm not completely across all the different cultures in the GFFA to know exactly what's already been incorporated, but in terms of real life culture, I would like to see some of the concepts of Eastern religions applied to the Jedi. I know they were somewhat based on samurai, but I would like to see pacifist Jedi, Jedi who believe in reincarnation and karma. I don't know if that's been explored before, but it would be interesting. I'd also like to see something like the Australian Aboriginal culture, with an importance on topography and nature, oral history and the Dreamtime-like mythology.

I'm not sure I know of any fictional cultures that would fit well into Star Wars - maybe any fantasy worlds with magic and dragons would work well. I'd like to see a matriarchal culture that isn't Hapes or Dathomir, handled in a subtler way than those two.

Ohh, Jedi! I don't think I'd be very good at lightsaber combat, but hey, if anything's possible. Maybe I could be a Jedi researcher like Tionne or the Archive Keeper from AOTC whose name escapes me.

I'm actually not really a dessert person, but I quite like chocolate pudding with vanilla ice cream. That's the hot, self-saucing pudding, not the chilled kind .

Kahara and Gamiel like this.
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Other fandoms you would like to write for, or have? (Like Trek?) SQUEE?! =P~

3. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    What's the most vivid dream you've ever had, gal?

And thanks for the fic rec!!! [:D]

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What non-Star Wars species would you like to se implanted into Star Wars?

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  5. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    Many years ago I wrote fanfic in the Stargate SG-1 and Matrix fandoms. I currently also write fanfic in the BBC Robin Hood and Merlin fandoms. I like the new Trek movies but am not involved in the fandom - I dabble in reading fic in other fandoms (like Hunger Games and Smallville) but don't write.

Ohh, that's a hard one! I actually have a lot of vivid dreams that seem to have pretty complex plots, but I've usually forgotten half of them by the time I wake up. I have a lot of dreams with recurring themes, like I am someone on the run or hiding from someone, but they are usually in different scenarios I am almost never myself in these dreams. I usually have these dreams when I am stressed, so it probably trying to run from my problems or something! [face_laugh]

I'd love to see a SW equivalent of a unicorn. Unless you meant real species, and then I'd like to see more domesticated pets like dogs and cats.

Kahara and Gamiel like this.
  6. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    Whoops, double post.

7. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Any clothing from the GFFA that you'd like to have in your own closet?

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Your preferred/most conducive writing environment: indoors or out, music playing, or silence? What do you do when DWB strikes?

9. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Have you ever been to Ayers Rock/Uluru? If so, what's it like?

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    EDIT: What SF technology that have not appeared in SW would you like to see appear?

In the version of the jedi's history that the Episode 1 book gave so was the jedi originally pacifists who meditated on the Force but later realised that they better served the Force by going out in the world and doing good.

11. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    What has been your favorite spot to travel to? And have you met any wonderful people while traveling?? [face_batting] ;)

12. K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 18, 2000
    What are your favorite hobbies besides writing fanfic?

13. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    SO MANY!

Sleepwear:

[​IMG]

Formal wear:

[​IMG]

Casual wear:

[​IMG]

Capewear :p :

[​IMG]

I should have added Bail Organa to the Best Dressed question. He is a boss.

I like to write inside, in the quiet, although I often write while half-watching tv. I can't write with music playing because I get too caught up in the song and can't concentrate on the writing. I write a lot at night just before I go to sleep. I don't get writer's block that much - usually if I'm stuck on a particular fic I just switch to writing something else. Or if I'm really uninspired I re-read old fic I really like to get back inside the heads of the characters.

Unfortunately, while I have seen a great deal of Australia I haven't visited Uluru. The closest I've come is Alice Springs, and that was only a two-hour stopover while on the train from Adelaide to Darwin so not enough time to go out and see the rock. It is on the travel list for sure, and I've heard it's wonderful

Time machine - although I guess technically that has happened, but flow walking is really only observations, isn't it. And an alternate universe hopper.

Oh, interesting, that makes sense. I'd like to see a small sect of pacifist Jedi still around - is Tionne a pacifist, or basically so? I don't think we ever see her fight. I remember in CoPL Leia is described as a pacifist, which: [face_laugh] They could have gone the whole pacifist route with Jacen, which would have been interesting, I could see him as a Buddhist-like monk with his pets and everything.

I have met some totally awesome people while travelling, including you, gal! I tried okra and had KFC in Kentucky and we talked about Star Wars practically all night, it was awesome. That was on the US roadtrip I went on with RedGold - I loved the US. I also really loved Europe - especially London, Paris, Berlin and Prague. I was at Celebration Europe in 2007 but can't remember if I met anyone from the boards. I've been to New Zealand and visited the Hobbiton set and seen most of the North Island. I've travelled through a lot of the UK and Ireland which was brilliant. I've also done a lot of travelling around Australia, mostly when I was a kid, and been twice to the South Pacific. I've loved everywhere I've travelled.

Reading fanfic! [face_laugh] I also love reading books and writing original fiction. I play netball. I love the movies and getting together with friends to eat cheese and drink wine :p

Kahara, Gamiel, ginchy and 1 other person like this.
  14. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Are you at all interested in Old Republic fanfic? How about military fanfic, since Star Wars has "war" in the title? ;)

15. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Do you know any foreign languages (speaking, reading, writing, etc.)?

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Do you outline in great detail before posting a fic or just have a broad idea of how things might turn out? In short, how flexible versus set is your plotting? =D=

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    EDIT: favourite architectural styles in SW?
    I don't think Tionne is a pacifist, she is just not as good with the fighting part of the jedi role as the role as a historian and teacher - actually that would have been a good ide for a book Tionne + sidekick/s doing the Indiana Jones thing and searching for lost jedi knowledge were she has to relay on her own wits more then her fighting ability.
    As I remember it so was she called pacifist by Ta'a Chume who used it as an insult since Leia wanted to talk peace rather then totally crush her enemies.

Maybe, what I have heard of the post-YJK EU so was Jacen's animal interest and empathy highly underused.

18. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    I haven't read any pre-ROTS EU, and generally am more interested in exploring character and the impact of war rather than the war itself, so I'm not disinterested in military fanfic per se, it's just not a strength of mine.

TrakNar likes this.
  19. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    Unfortunately, no. I studied Italian for two years in high school since it was compulsory, but only remember a tiny bit.

I can count from one to ten in Japanese and Cantonese, though.

(Sorry for the concurrent posts, I'm on my iPad and can't figure out how to quote multiple posts)

20. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    It depends on the fic - usually if it's just a shot or mid-length fic I just have a broad idea of what is going to happen and just write as I go, often changing things. For my current fic "The Shadow of Fate" I have a loose chapter by chapter plan and a broad overview for the two sequels, but even that is not set in stone. The main story pretty much always remains the same but the minor details are flexible and I am incorporating things we know or are rumoured about the real episode 7 as they are released for a bit of fun.

I do however have a master document for that fic and a few others containing dialogue and some scenes from later chapters that I have already written so I don't forget it - it also helps me plot the intervening events. For example for The Shadow of Fate I have about 10,000 words written in addition to what I've already posted. On the other hand I have about 7,000 words written for a different mid length fic which I don't plan to post anything of until it is complete.

So basically I like to plan the broad brush strokes and fill in the details as I go.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  21. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    Yeah, they would have had to go in a completely different direction from pretty much the NJO. I think it would have been interesting though.

You're right about Ta'a Chume but I don't think Leia had any real reaction to being called a pacifist. I like your idea about Tionne, though! Someone should write that fanfic.

I like the architecture of Naboo - that whole planet is so pretty but as far as cities go, Theed is beautiful.

Gamiel likes this.
  22. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Do you like to dabble in other fandoms? Do you have any favorites?

23. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    From the main website, position the cursor in the reply box where you want the next quote to go, then scroll up and click or tap "Reply" in the lower right corner of the next post you wish to quote. Repeat as many times as needed.

From Tapatalk (these instructions are for the Android phone interface, so it may be different on an iPad), tap the text of each post you wish to quote (you can do this across multiple pages), then tap the quote icon at the top to open the reply interface with all quotes already inserted for you.

As for a question, if we still have time, what is your favorite sport to watch, and your favorite sport to play?

24. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    How critical of your work are you?

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    If you could live at any time/place in history, what would it be, and why?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.