main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FanFic Ask Me Anything ~*~ Version 3.0 Daily Questions (See list on pg 164 or 1)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    1. Ever had a dream where you knew you were dreaming and changed the ending?
    I used to be able to lucid dream, but I haven't done it in a long time. Mostly now I just have hypnopompic hallucinations instead of dreams (I call it "the people who watch me sleep"), sometimes I realize that's what's going on and can make it go away, but most of the time I don't realize because I'm still mostly asleep, but I wish I could.

2. Remakes of classic movies with different actors: do you like these as much, more, or less than the originals? What about novelizations of movies?
    It depends on the remake. Some are fantastic and better than the original, and some should just never have been done. I usually like novelizations of movies because you do get more detail than you can get in a movie.

3. Do you find "thinking like a reader" or a fan actively helps in the writing process?
    I don't know that I think like a reader when I'm writing, though I do think about what people might think. (That may make no sense!). I more find myself thinking like a writer when I'm reading something, unless it really sucks me into the book, as a good book should.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  2. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Nope. I would be nice though :)
    I'm not the biggest fan of remakes, because I usually find them less creative than the original, but there have been some remakes that I really enjoyed, e.g. the Coen brothers' version of The Ladykillers. The only remake I can remember enjoying more than the original is Terry Gilliam's 12 Monkeys.

Novelizations... The only ones I ever read were the SW films, so I don't have a general opinion about that.

Thinking as a reader, definitely! After writing something, I always wait for a day or so and re-read it with the question "would I read this if it weren't mine?" in the back of my head. If the answer is no, I will consider talking to a shrink instead of writing a story, because I probably have issues to solve [face_thinking]

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    1. No.
    2. It really depends on how Cushy reads the whole production. If the leading man is one I admire I at least respect it even if I don't enjoy it. Novels are better than films to me but then, Cushy writes so it may not be surprising.
    3. I write for my own balance first, I do not 'think like a reader'.

4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Faaaaaarrrrrr too often to count. I lucid dream almost all the time. Taught myself how when I was a kid.

I try to avoid remakes. Don't particularly care for them. As for novelizations, I'm fine with them.

I... guess? I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    TrakNar -- like what Chyntuck referred to, when you're writing you step back and read what you're thinking of posting as a reader/reviewer would and ask: If this weren't mine, would I read it? Would it grab my attention? @};-

6. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    In that case, then yes. It helps me to gauge an audience and tailor my writing to it.

7. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004

1. I had a lucid dream once. Since I knew I was dreaming I decided to try doing a back flip...but I couldn't do it. It was frustrating that even in a dream my mind refused to believe I was capable of doing a back flip. So I guess the answer is I have them, but I can't change the ending.

2. It depends on the movie. If the movie was a hit in the first place then leave it alone. I didn't like the remake of Conan the Barbarian. I did like the remake of Robocop. So it really depends on the film.

3. I have trouble thinking as a reader. That is why I can't finish a story before I start posting. I need reader feedback. Because I never plot out a story and I write by the seat of my pants I often change the story based on reader comments.

8. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Playing catch up because I finished my work for today early:

1. Do you like breakfast cereal, hot or cold? Favorite flavors of either/both?
    YES! I love my cold cereal. Corn pops are my current weakness, but I also love corn flakes and Cheerios.

2. Do you plan out your vacation itinerary or just “wing it?”
    I’ve done both. High school band trips were VERY planned (down to the minute!). But when I’m traveling on my own, I just like winging it. I may have a few things planned, but I just do what I/my family wants generally.

3. Dialogue writing: what makes this easier/harder for you versus other aspects of writing?
    Dialogue is probably the easiest part of writing for me.

1. Are you the type that is able to remember jokes or riddles?No.

2. Favorite Disney movie(s)?
    I’m assuming we are talking cartoon Disney. Growing up, I loved Cinderella. I don’t enjoy it as much now, but I still love The Lion King and Mulan. Most recently, I love Frozen!

3. Do you have the interest or talent to fix stuff around the house, electrical, flooring, your PC?
    I’m pretty handy with a screwdriver. But I know when to call the professionals. I don’t do anything electrical/computer-wise.

1. Growing up, did you know your grandparents on either/both sides? Did you spend a lot of time with them?Yes. When I was born, my parents and grandparents were so young that I still had great-grandparents living! I never met the one great-grandfather, but he didn’t die till I was like 13, my great-grandmother, who I met several times, only died last October.

My maternal grandparents raised me for 2 years of my life and I still spent a LOT of time with them. Heck. Every few weeks I go down the highway to visit them and play cards with them. They are both in their 70s, but my maternal grandfather will outlive us all!

As for my paternal grandparents, I spent a lot of time with them when I lived with my dad, but after he died when I was 10, I MAYBE saw them 3 times – each time being like a few hours each time. I loved my grandfather dearly. He was the best. I had to back for the funeral when he died in 2013. My grandmother on the other hand… we’ve never exactly seen eye-to-eye.

2. Is there a day so happy you wouldn’t mind reliving it over, and what is it?
    No, it would probably ruin the memory.

3. Donuts: Favorite filling and/or glaze?

Maple glaze… I’m a horrible diabetic!

1. Ever had a dream where you knew you were dreaming and changed the ending? No, I rarely dream, so I’ve never lucid dreamt, nor really had the opportunity to figure out how to do it.

2. Remakes of classic movies with different actors: do you like these as much, more, or less than the originals? What about novelizations of movies?

Meh. Not really big on any of the remakes that I’ve seen. I usually find novelizations meh, but I did read the novelization for the Clone Wars movie. That was quite good. As much as I dislike her, Karen Traviss did do an excellent job turning a kids movie into a book older people could enjoy. She explained the political motivations much better than the movie did. I plan on reading the EP III novelization over my short break.

3. Do you find "thinking like a reader" or a fan actively helps in the writing process?
    No, not really.

9. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    1. Ever had a dream where you knew you were dreaming and changed the ending? :cool:
    I do this pretty often. I was doing it long before I came across the term "lucid dreaming" and I am not sure how it started. The bad thing about it is that I can also become aware of a dream being too good to be real and wake up.

It depends, it's a case-by-case thing to me. For example, I find the newer Lolita to be much better than the older; but Hollywood adaptations of e.g. Solaris and the Millenium Trilogy are clearly sub-pair to the USSR and Swedish originals. I mean, how can a director top Tarkovsky just like that and how can a random actress be more important and better than Noomi Rapace, just because she had a dyed merkin or whatever?

I did not read many novelisations. Curiously, the first I had ever come across was ANH during that extra long summer between elementary and high school; and I remember being confused by the extended scenes with Biggs.

Yes, though one should not lose touch with reality, change the characterisation and so on.

10. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Thanks to Nyota's Heart for asking questions again!

This week our Question Master is... TrakNar
    Apologies for starting your day late, it's been a very crazy day!

Ewok Poet and jcgoble3 like this.
  11. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Annnnnd I just got home from an impromptu day out. So, may as well start things off with something somewhat related!

1. Ever been to or have any plans to visit Gettysburg?

2. Preferred alcoholic drink (for non-drinkers, preferred drink)?

3. Preferred genres of video games?

Chyntuck likes this.
  12. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh, yoicks! RL gets me behind on answering questions, and then the next thing I know there's a new question master. Sorry, Nyota's Heart and everyone. [face_blush] :( Guess it's time to start anew...

1. I have never been to Gettysburg, but I would love to go sometime!

2. I don't drink alcohol much, but one of my favorite alcoholic beverages is egg nog, which I always make for myself around New Year's Eve or so. Once in a blue moon I'll also enjoy other sweet liqueurs like Vanilla Dream, amaretto, and crème de menthe, too. And I will usually not pass up a chance to have absinthe.

3. I don't do much video gaming these days, but when I do, I tend to go for things that are adventure-y with engaging and suspenseful plots, thought-provoking puzzles, and ample opportunities to explore around at leisure without having to zap enemies at the drop of a hat. Also, I enjoy tactical RPGs if they have a good plot and an interesting variety of characters in the party.

Ewok Poet and TrakNar like this.
  13. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    1. I was there in 2013 chaperoning my son's DC Class Trip.

2. I don't drink. I like diet coke or sparkling juice (nonalcoholic champagne).

3. I don't play video games. My sons like to shoot Nazi zombies. I am not sure what game that is.

Ewok Poet and TrakNar like this.
  14. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    1. I'd love to visit Gettysburg. Though a simple one-day or weekend excursion might not do it; I want to see everything!

2. Dr. Pepper. But if it comes down to draft/fountain drinks, then A&W Root Beer.

3. Action/RPGs, shooters, strategy games (RTS or turn-based), and simulations (flight sims! wooo!)

Edit: Jedi_Lover It's probably one of the Call of Duty games, possibly World at War (which introduced the nazi zombie thing).

15. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Cuz I finished writing my speech early:

No, and unfortunately, it's not really up there on my travel list. I'm not much of an American history nut.
    Rum and diet coke, or scotch and diet coke. Pretty much the only thing I can safely drink as a diabetic. Most other alcoholic drinks have A) too many carbs but B) alcohol lowers blood sugar, so instead of doing some complicated math and carb counting, I just stick with carb-free options.
    I'm not much of a gamer, but I like RPGs.

TrakNar likes this.
  16. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Never been, though I'd like to go someday.

Coca-Cola

RPGs. Also sometimes adventure or hack-and-slash.

TrakNar likes this.
  17. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    1. Not yet, but I have relatives in Philly, so all hope isn't lost yet!

2. Tsipouro!! a.k.a. Greek moonshine. The one they make in the village where I spend my holidays is first-rate dynamite 8-}

3. I don't play video games, but I do play Tetris and I love it.

TrakNar and Findswoman like this.
  18. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005

Never been. I would probably try to go if I ever get back to the States and was travelling in the area, but it's not on my bucket list.

I love apple cider (we don't really make the distinction with "hard" here in Australia - it's all alcoholic!). Other than that, white wine in the summer and red in the winter.

I don't play video games, but when I was younger I used to enjoy adventure games like Hero's Quest.

19. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Yay for Trak being the question master! :)

If I ever get to another continent, why not? It's a historical place, plus there's you. :D

I don't drink alcohol, but I most certainly have a Pepsi Max problem. Other than that, I like fruit juices with no sugar added/sweetened with honey, plain and mineral water and milk, other than skimmed and full-fat.

The sparkling apple stuff J_L mentioned is really expensive here and sold as "children's champagne". But I agree, that stuff is good, too!

'90s side-scrolling 2D platform games and cheesy newer stuff made to look like old stuff, e.g. the Virtual Villagers series. I am a huge fan of Jazz Jackrabbit.

20. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    May as well throw in my answers and think of new questions...

1. I live there. :p

2. Hard cider or hard root bear.

3. JRPGs, CRPGs, puzzle games, beat-em-ups, fighting games, party games, Dwarf Fortress, first-person shooters (older ones such as Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, and console shooters like Perfect Dark 64), and visual novels.

21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Courtesy of BroNar:

1. What is it?

2. How many are there?

3. What does it take to kill them?

Common DnD questions for the DM when reaching an encounter.

Findswoman and jcgoble3 like this.
  22. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    1. A kilometer-long sentient starship.

2. Thousands, scattered in fleets throughout the galaxy.

3. Concentrated fire from dreadnoughts and cruisers

Bonus: If you can guess what it is that I'm referring to, you win a cookie.

23. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    1. My credit card debt.

2. Too much.

3. Winning $2,000 in the lottery. :p (Oh, how I wish...)

24. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    1. Zombies!

2. More than I can count.

3. A propane tank, bottle rockets and Carol Peletier with a high powered rifle and wearing a zombie guts camouflage poncho! She's my hero! ^:)^

[​IMG]

TrakNar likes this.
  25. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    1. No plans. Not much into historical places on the whole.
    2. Cushy rarely drinks and have no favoured, regular drinks I like Coke Classic, milk, hot chocolate.
    3. Not a gamer but I can sometimes like flight sims.

TrakNar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.