main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FanFic Ask Me Anything ~*~ Version 3.0 Daily Questions (See list on pg 164 or 1)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    A blaster of some sort. :) Why? Less messy than a gun.

My husband will be taking our daughter and youngest son trick-or-treating. He also decorates the house, inside and out. My middle son has a school dance Halloween night that's he's dying to go to with the girl he likes. He's already asked her and she said yes. [face_nail_biting]I'm not sure how I feel about my baby boy dating. My oldest has asked if he can have a party at the house. We've said yes. What were we thinking? [face_dunno] As for me, I will be keeping an eye on my house full of teenagers and handing out candy.

Costumes have yet to be decided on. I'm pretty sure my youngest son is going to ask for a Ninja Turtle costume and my daughter will inevitably be a princess--Daddy's little princess. He loves to dress her up in princess dresses. :p

2. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Would you wear a Mara Jade outfit if you could find the stuff to put it together? (shouldn't be too hard)

3. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    One of her body-hugging jumpsuits? Sure, if I lost about 15 pounds first. [face_laugh]

4. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Thanks for answering questions Jen!

As always, if you want to be a subject of FFAMA, send a PM to me or Bri and we'll put you on the list.

This week, our victim is... jcgoble3

jcgoble3 likes this.
  5. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    Thanks everyone!! It was a blast. :cool:

Findswoman and Nyota's Heart like this.
  6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Are you into fanfiction & fanart both, or one more than the other, and which?

7. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    Which comes easier to you, writing or drawing?

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Who are your favorite SW characters? Why? Non-SW fandoms of interest? :)

9. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    What's your favorite era for fan fiction? How about pro fiction/other EU media?

10. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    *nervously stands up* Um... hi? :p

Okay, here goes nothing...

Just fanfic. I can't draw a stick figure to save my life. :p If you're not familiar with my writing, that's because I rarely post it here in the fanfic section; 99% of my writing is done for a "collaborative fanfic"-style RPG over in the roleplaying forum, here on the JC boards. I have some plot bunnies for stand-alone fics, but my ongoing plot in the RPG eats up all of my writing time, so I don't have time to do standalone stuff right now.

I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that I can draw. :p Like I said above, I can't even draw a decent stick figure. I envy those who can create beautiful drawings. My artistic endeavors are limited to occasional photography (ask if you want to see my stuff on Flickr ;)).

I would have to say Ben Skywalker. I love his snark, his skills, everything. I just wish the profic authors would have given him some friends his own age, other than a Sith girl. :p Zayne Carrick, from the KotOR comics, would be another favorite; the way he takes a bad situation and makes the best of it by bringing down the people who put him in that situation is amazing. Plus John Jackson Miller wrote him so well. :D

As for other fandoms, there really aren't any. I prefer to focus exclusively on Star Wars. That's not to say I couldn't become interested in another fandom if one truly interested me, but it would take someone else forcibly introducing it to me to make that happen. I'm the type of person that knows what he likes (Star Wars) and rarely takes a chance on something unknown.

I don't really think I can just name an era; it's more specific subjects that are scattered around. Such as Obi-Wan during the time of the Jedi Apprentice/Jedi Quest books, or the continuing adventures of Ben and the gang. I usually avoid pure mush (which probably eliminates half the fics here :p). Like I said in the previous answer, it's hard to get me to take a chance on something new, but if you can come up with a title line intriguing enough to get me to click on the story, and then hook me with the first few paragraphs, I'll usually follow it to the end.

Kahara likes this.
  11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    LOL on the pure mush comment. Since I gravitate big time ;)

~~!

What are the most fun and also most challenging aspects of RPG?

12. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I would say that they are one and the same: reacting to unexpected curveballs thrown at you by the other players and the GM. Just last week, I posted a little information that was to be kept quiet from the public; other player characters would need to know about it, but it was semi-classified. The GM promptly accidentally had an NPC mention it in a public press conference. So much for keeping the secret. Now I'm having to adjust a few things in my plans to compensate for the fact that the general population of my planet knows that a convicted mass murderer/terrorist has escaped from Jedi custody, and that they're naturally going to be distrustful of the Jedi now (especially after a previous incident three years earlier in game time involving the Jedi and this terrorist).

Basically, it amounts to having to think on your feet and think quickly, which is both fun and challenging at the same time.

13. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Have you ever had to deal with GMs and/or other players who engage in blatant (or even subtle, if there is such a thing) god-modding in RPGs? If so, how did you handle the situation(s)?

14. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Thankfully, no. I only play in one game (the amount of time I spend on it leaves no time for additional games), and we have way more freedom in it than most other games because each "real" player controls not just their specific player character, but an entire sports team, all of its fans, and pretty much everything on that team's planet (including political situations and the like), so it's difficult to god-mode even if you wanted to. The couple of times we have had cases of god-moding, it's been mild and easily handled by the GM without any ruffled feathers.

15. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    What are the advantages and disadvantages of having a forum handle based on your real name? Was there any particular reason you chose to take that route?

16. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Personally, I don't really think about it too much. "jcgoble3" was the name I used for my first email account back in 2004, and it's been my internet handle ever since. The only place I use a different name is Wookieepedia, where I go by Master Jonathan. I'd change that to jcgoble3 as well, but usernames there are forced to have the first letter capitalized due to technical restrictions, and I'm too well-established there to make such a drastic name change.

Anyway, I just like the convenience of having the same username everywhere, so I don't have to remember a different username for every site in addition to a different password. Plus basing it on a real name means I can use it on a wide variety of sites without it looking out of place, like an amusement park-related name might look on a Star Wars forum. I don't really feel concerned about my real name being out there since I have no skeletons in the closet, so to speak, though I do have to be careful not to put anything out under that name that could be used against me by a criminal (e.g. vacation plans where the house will be left empty).

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    What kinds of scenes are easiest to write, and also which are the most difficult? Is it hard not to write from another character's POV than the one you're concentrating on?

Findswoman likes this.
  18. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I, for one, would love to see your Flickr photographs. :)

Are there any fanfic writers who have been a particular influence on you? Any here (or elsewhere) you particularly recommend?

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  19. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    What's your favorite flavor of soda?

20. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I find dialogue to be the easiest to write, so much so, that I often catch myself with too much dialogue and not enough description. On the flip side, I like writing action scenes as well, and often there I catch myself with too little dialogue! So it's always a balancing act with me, trying to get enough dialogue but not too much. And because I usually post my stuff minutes after I finish writing it, with little to no time for editing, more often than not I end up re-reading it the next day and lamenting having too much/little dialogue. Such is the way of life when you have to keep up with the pace of an RPG that won't stop to wait on you. :p

I can't really pinpoint what the hardest for me is; usually if I have an idea, I can write it without too much trouble. There's no specific type of scene that presents problems for me, though I've never tried mush, and being a single 27-year-old guy who's never been on a date, I suspect that might cause me problems. :p

POV: With more mundane scenes, it's definitely a challenge. The hardest point is when my player character is merely a spectator; I have to force myself to insert his thoughts and reactions rather than just describing things from an omniscient POV. However, the more important the scene, the easier it is to stick to a specific POV for me. Give me a major climax, especially one filled with action, and I have little to no problem sticking to a single POV.

My Flickr stuff is here. Yes, I have 616 photos "unsorted"; they stretch from my post-CVI vacation to random stuff I've taken this year. I'm too lazy to sort them into proper sets. :p If you have any questions about what something is, feel free to ask. :)

Honestly, there aren't any that have really influenced me; I developed my own style playing in my RPG over the course of about a year before I ever looked at any fanfic, and my style hasn't really changed that much since. If anyone influenced me, it would have been the other players in the game.

As for recommendations, the obvious one that immediately comes to my mind is Revanfan1 and his series of fics continuing the adventures of Ben and the gang post-FOTJ. Beyond that, I haven't read enough yet to make other recommendations.

First, where I'm from it's called "pop", not "soda". :p And my favorite is a 50-50 mixture of Mountain Dew Baja Blast and Mountain Dew Sangrita Blast, which I can only get at Taco Bell. Failing that, I'll take an orange Mello Yello out of a Coke Freestyle machine. If neither of those are an option, I'll take either Mountain Dew or Mello Yello, whichever is offered (no preference between the "standard" versions of either). And if you don't have either of those, then screw you, I'm taking a sweet iced tea. And finally, failing that, I'll live with plain water before I'll touch that abomination you call "cola". :p

21. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Sorry buddy, but I flat refuse to call it "pop" (I was raised in Florida). ;) :p

Are you going to take part in the Mods' Dare Challenge?

22. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I'd love to, but my RPG storyline is reaching a climax, and I have a LOT of work to do on that still. So unfortunately I just don't have the time for it right now. :(

23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Favorite stuff on a burger or pizza?

24. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Burger: Bacon and cheese. LOTS of bacon and cheese. Oh, and BBQ sauce. Can't go wrong with BBQ sauce.

Pizza: BBQ sauce instead of regular pizza sauce, with chicken and several cheeses. Mmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  25. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Enjoying your interview so far, Jonathan (if I may). :) Many thanks for sharing your photos—that's an impressive collection.

And incidentally, à propos collection: do you own or collect any SW-related things of note? Any prized SW possessions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.