main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FanFic Ask Me Anything ~*~ Version 3.0 Daily Questions (See list on pg 164 or 1)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    And if not, who would you most like to (if anyone) LOL

2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I love a good SW/Earth based universe crossover (mostly if it's crossed over with another fandom of mine, but that's not a hard and fast rule), but for me the reason needs to be explained. It doesn't really have to be a great explanation, but I need to know how to the universes collided.

I have! I went to Celebration 5 and 6... I love Celebrations! It's entirely possible we've met, to be honest I meet so many people at those that I can't remember who I have. For both of those I helped out a lot at the JCF table and ran the raffle at the TFN party (where if I did meet anyone at the raffle table, I'm almost certain to not remember because that was very busy and stressful. ;) ) so there is a lot of meeting people at those two things.

Well I certainly want the big three back, that would be the first thing I would make sure of. I wouldn't want to erase the EU, I would incorporate some of it and try not to make too much of it no longer be canon.
    There was a rumor for a while that Benedict Cumberbatch would be Thrawn... I could get on board with that, but then then to go with that plot line as it stands in the EU, Mark, Carrie and Harrison would be too old to play their characters, so I wouldn't want that. :( But I would like for BC to play someone! :) Other than that, I really don't know.

LOL! Perfect timing on the Loki! :)

I was unsure how I felt about Disney buying LFL at first but the more I thought about it, the more I realized I like what they had done with Marvel and with them buying it we'd get a lot more Star Wars. So overall I'm very happy, I don't know what the future will hold and how Disney will go forward, but I hope they keep in mind that Lucas knew his fans were passionate and allowed them to be so (fanfilms, fanfic, costuming groups, etc.)

Dark.
    I used to hate dark chocolate but the older I get, the more I love it and I will go to it long before any other type. That being said, I don't think I've ever met a chocolate I didn't like. :)

Oh yes! Going to Celebrations you get to meet all sorts of JCFers if you hang out in the right places. Luckily the first year I went I managed to worm my way into an already established group of friends (I didn't know that at the time) and they let me stay. I don't think I could name all the people I've met/hung out with if I tried, but I'm actually dating dp4m, we met at Celebration 5 though we didn't start dating until last year.

Even though I've met all kinds of people, I'd love to meet more. If I had to choose 1 person it would probably be our very own former fanfic mod Commander-DWH, because we keep missing each other. She comes to this coast and close to me and I end up having to work, I go to the west coast and close to her and she ends up not being able to get down to where I was... it's happened several times. One of these days we will manage to be in the same place at the same time. ;)

3. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Did you always want to work in the medical field?

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    LOL Was the medical field your first major? :D Or did you change a couple of times?

5. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm going to answer these two together because they kinda go hand in hand and it's quite the long detailed answer... sorry!

I started watching ER in the 7th or 8th grade and fell in love with it, the excitement, the randomness and craziness of an ER and decided I wanted to be a doctor. I knew that ER wasn't real life but that was what I wanted to do anyway. I started taking every class in anatomy, biology, etc that I could and from that point on never even considered anything else. In high school I volunteered at a hospital and shadowed doctors from all parts of the hospital and loved the ER and the OR the most.
    When I went to college I studied Exercise Physiology and volunteered in the universities Level 1 Trauma Center (that's the highest trauma designation... the worst of the worst goes there) and focused on my want to go to med school. I worked my butt off in classes, but mostly Chemistry (because thinking Chem is fascinating, it takes a lot of work for me to get it) knowing O-Chem would make or break a med school application.

Long about halfway though my junior year, I took a long hard look at myself and realized I don't have the right personality to be a doctor. I can make decisions, but I don't like being the be all, end all decision maker and that's exactly who you have to be as a doctor, especially as an ER doc. So I decided I wouldn't go to med school. Needless to say, that having been my plan since I was 12 really threw me for quite the loop and I had no idea what I wanted to do .I'll be honest, my grades really started to suffer at that point.

I had a bad adviser who basically steered me to leave O-Chem 2, Physics 2 and Advanced Human Physiology for last and the Department of Ex Phys refused to let me go part time to finish and there was NO way I could do those all together.

I ended up leaving that school and going home without a degree. I figured I loved medicine so I should look into something along those lines. My grandmother ended up in the hospital and I asked everyone I met what they did and the respiratory therapist really interested me, so I applied to nursing school and respiratory school and RT got back to me faster so I went with that.

There are days that I like my job, but it's not all excitement and adrenaline, which is the part I love. I'd say it's 10% adrenaline rush, 5% I don't know what to do, 15% "please just let me make it though this 12 hours", 10% "Um, wow! That's pretty awesome!" and 60% boredom. I think my problem is I love things in theory (as in I love it in school) and then when I've done it a few years I get bored, because the same thing happened with my first major. [face_plain]

tl;dr: Wanted to be doctor for long time, didn't work out. Changed major, still in medical field. Job is okay, but not really what I want to do for the rest of my life.

Rainbow Knight Star likes this.
  6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Camping out: Do you like it? If yes, do you like the tent, rustic thingy or the whole amenities route, where you're near a lake or mountains, but there's electricity and indoor plumbing [face_laugh]

7. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Totally know the feeling. :p So what do you want to do when you've decided on a change? Do you already have an alternative?

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Keeping up techie-wise: Are you the kind that holds onto stuff until it breaks or do you feel compelled to upgrade just because there's a new supposedly better version out there? :p

9. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    What kind of car do you drive, and have you ever wanted to just drive out somewhere and spend some time with yourself on the road?

10. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    You talked about an attempt at an original fiction, how did it go and do you have any plans for it, or any other other original fiction piece?

11. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    If you could wield one Force power, what would it be?

12. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    What is your favorite movie of all time and why?

PS - this is a cool idea. :D

13. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    What is the chief factor you deem important in naming OCs and why?

14. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Do you ever write poetry, and/or include it in your stories?

15. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I do, I love it! But I haven't done it since I was in college, I hope to do at least some this summer.
    If I'm going to camp, I like to do the rustic thing... but I'm not apposed to a bathroom being near by, even if its a chemical toilet. I've done it without it, but I'd rather not if I don't have to. ;) I don't need electricity... I love a good camp fire! :)

I keep thinking I have and then I start to worry.
    I was thinking about Dance Therapy, that I always thought was a physical therapy but turns out it's a mental one, but I don't think the job market for that is very big so it would be a big risk.
    I've also really gotten into disaster management with being on my hospitals HazMat team and going to a week long class at the Dept. of Homeland Security's Center for Domestic Preparedness, but again I don't know about the job market and I worry would I get bored doing that too.
    I've also thought about a Master of Public Health, but I don't know to do exactly what.
    Short answer is, I've thought about it a lot, I just can't make a decision on it. ;)

Usually until it breaks. I kept my iPhone 3G until 6 months after the 5 came out and mostly because it would no longer hold a charge. I do like having the new things, but I usually manage to talk myself out of buying it until I actually need it... usually.

I drive a Nissan X-Terra which is a little bit of overkill in Boston, but when I got it I lived in WV and 4-wheel drive that could go up mountains in the snow was pretty essential. Now it's paid off and I don't want a car payment again if I don't have to have one. You don't have to have a car in Boston, but it does make some things easier.
    I don't know that I would want to go someplace too far by myself in the car, I could do it, but I think I would get bored. But I would certainly do it with someone else.
    When I moved to Boston, my mom and I made a road trip out of the 850 miles, took our time and stopped to see things along the way and it was great!

I originally did this story for NaNoWriMo (the only year I actually won) and I love the idea but not the way I executed it. I've worked on it a little bit since, but not enough to say I've got anything. I think I need to set aside an amount of time each week that I'm going to work on it and just do it. I of course would love to finish it and have it published, but I really don't see that ever happening, but I guess you never know.

Probably Force Healing (Ugh.. I'm kinda repeating myself since it always goes back to medicine). To be able to diagnose someone without invasive procedures and to heal without causing major side effects or other issues using for Force would be amazing.
    But I must admit, when I'm feeling really lazy, telekinesis would be pretty awesome. :p

Star Wars
    Okay, I guess we're talking other than that. Don't laugh, but the movie I was obsessed with as a child and it holds a very special place in my heart is Days of Thunder. It's not even close to being a good movie, but it makes me strangely happy.

I let them name themselves, which is harder when it's a oneshot. I'll usually put a place holder and then change it as the name comes to me. I do use babynames.com to look at names (you can search by all kinds of stuff) and then sometimes combine two names so it doesn't sound to Earthy. I don't really have anything that's strictly important to me when naming.

I think the last time I wrote a poem was when I was in 9th grade and we had to write a book of them... I entitled the book This Is Why I Don't Write Poems.
    I just really am no good at them, so I save people by not including them with anything. ;)

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm outed! (PS - ask her about having her icon created in person... ;))

17. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    How did you get your current avatar created in person?

(he made me do it!)

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    A Plotting Question for fics: How much outlining versus freestyle do you do? Which parts of the scenes come easier when writing/plotting?

19. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    LOL! I actually just recently told this story in the social thread so if you've already hear it, sorry! At Celebration V we were at Aaron Allston's writing class and he facepalmed while talking about first readers who only say things like "I loved it because they kissed" instead of talking about pacing, plot, continuity, etc.
    We didn't get the chance to take a pic because he did it so fast so after the class dp4m asked Aaron if he would do it again so I could take a picture and as you can see, he did.
    Later that night we showed it to the large group that were hanging out together and Grimby made it and icon and uploaded it that very night (this was on the old boards when you couldn't use your own) and almost everyone there made it their icon.

BTW- the band he is wearing is from our (the JCF) giveaways, it was the "banned band".

I can not outline to save my life... I've tried, I really have but it just doesn't like me.
    I (usually) have an idea of where I want to go and kinda how to get there, but the getting there usually changes as I go along.
    As far as as parts that are easier, I think it really just depends on how much I know what is going to go on before I start writing that scene. If I know something has to happen to further the plot along, then that usually comes the easiest.

20. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    That's pretty much how I write, mav; once upon a time I tried outlining, to the point of writing up small character drafts, but nothing ever came of it. Since then, I just write toward what I know has to be there, incorporating any interesting ideas that happen to pop up along the way—sometimes these ideas can even override the intended course of the story!

What is your opinion on "hurt/comfort" fics and why are they (IMHO) so popular on JCF that they shove aside most other genres because of, among other things, shear volume?

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Goodwood's questions are terrific =D= It shoved my original question out till later LOL

~~~

What do you think about gratuitous angst, and wouldn't you agree profics are just chockfull of it? :rolleyes: No ff author would just takeChewbacca, Anakin Solo, and then Mara out for ... :p FF authors in my opinion put angst and drama in there for a reason and always follow it up with great mush -- at least the stories I gravitate to. [face_laugh]

22. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I'll be honest, H/C is my favorite. Before I found fanfic, I used to imagine what would happen to my favorite characters if they had something bad happen to them and I honestly thought myself a terrible person (and that there was something wrong with me) even though they weren't real. Then I found fanfic and learned that I am no where near alone in that, even if it does say something about us. ;)

In my experience H/C is not nearly as prevelent here on the JCF as it is other places and I think that's because of our family friendly rules. You can't show a lot of torture or extreme hurt and keep it family friendly. As for why, I'm going to jump out on a generalizing people limb (which I hate, but sometimes it's true) and say that the majority of fanficcers are female and women tend to be more the nurturing kind. What more is there than to comfort a favorite character than with another favorite character.
    [face_dunno]

Now wait a minute, and let's be fair, I've read many fanfics where all of those characters were killed and not all of them had a happy ending. :) It's just in fanfic it's not actually what happend and is a what-if, where as in the officially licensed stuff, that's what actually happened to the character. (Though at this point, who knows what did and didn't happen, or even who did and didn't exist. ;) )

That being said, I don't have a problem with killing characters off. Was I sad when each of those characters died? You bet ya... I cried every time, but sometimes killing a character does serve a purpose and in most of the cases I feel like did, even if it was upsetting. Let's face it, if you know the character is going to survive there is very little tension when they are in danger. I knew they weren't going to kill the big 3 in any of the books because GL had said they weren't allowed to, and their danger -while it could still be interesting- lacked tension.

As an author who wants to sell books, you need that tension otherwise people will be apathetic about it and apathy doesn't sell.

I know that's not a popular opinion but maybe I don't take issue with it because I see real people die all the time and sometimes am actually the one doing the killing (with a medical order, of course!). For self preservation I have to not feel very strongly about seeing/doing that(not that this is always the case... sometimes it just gets to you) and allowing fictional characters -even if they are very loved- to die allows me to actually feel that emotion where I can't let myself very often. I don't know that this is the case, it's pure speculation on my part.

23. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    mavjade I'm not sure that's what Nyota's Heart was asking...I think she intended the question to be about the gratuitous use of angst as an emotion in fan fiction. Personally I don't think "angst" is real; it's more a pseudoemotion used to describe half-formed feelings wherein the person expressing them has not yet developed a sufficient sense of self-actualization to properly understand and describe them. So, I'll reiterate, as this is a topic I'm interested in as well:

What is your opinion on "angst," and do you think it should be the primary emotive force behind a story/character, be it profic or fanfic?

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Goodwood - that is it! exactly! @};- @};- I am talking about angst or bad things/crises/tragedies happening to the characters that cannot be seen that the characters learn or grow or become better for having experienced even a tribulation ... In our daily lives, if we keep doing bone-headed things and suffering and never becoming better for it, people will start to question our sado-masochistic tendencies. [face_thinking]

25. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    Mavjade! I remember your icon perfectly! I was there! I've been to Aaron's panels at DragonCon and he's done it there! *sniff* anyways, what is your favorite Non-SW fandom and who are your favorite characters from them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.