main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FanFic Ask Me Anything ~*~ Version 3.0 Daily Questions (See list on pg 164 or 1)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What kind of food pie do you prefer? Meat, chicken, cheese, ham & broccoli or something else?

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  2. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    So, I know mental illness and disorder, and institutionalization, are recurring themes in many of your stories, particularly in your Zuckuss stories and in the Hypno story you mentioned you were planning, and I seem to remember your mentioning in previous posts that at least some of that is based on your own personal experience. I would be interested to hear as much (or as little) about those experiences as you feel comfortable sharing in this public forum (though if you'd rather not, I totally understand). Also, have you explored those themes with any other characters besides those above mentioned?

3. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    You seem to have disappeared from Wookieepedia. Care to share why?

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Who is/are your favorite SW character(s) and why? What about them is hardest/easiest to write?

5. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    What is your favorite coloration of cat?

6. K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 18, 2000
    Who is your favorite author and how has he/she influenced your writing?

7. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Just a throwaway name I slapped together back in high school, but never used until the last several years. I was trying an experiment to make a SW-type name, took "ran track," reversed the order, reversed "ran," and dropped the "c" from "track." Bake for five minutes.

Classic Pennsylvania Dutch chicken pot pie, which is more of a noodle stew.

I've been in the mental health system for a while. I've explored mental health themes with a lot of different characters and stories over the years and psychodrama is just my default genre. The mind, particularly a troubled one, is fascinating.

Real life, mainly. Stuff involving my immediate family. I've even put most art projects on hold. Let's just say that if something were to happen to my grandma, things would go south very quickly. Right now, there is a lot of missing information concerning my grandma that my brother and I have been imparting to the nursing home, along with filling them in on misinformation imparted to us by our dad. We've been making weekly visits to the nursing home and keeping the staff there apprised of things. And since my grandma had broken her hip, once more we had to clear things up with the staff. It's a mess.

Zuckuss. He's something of an underdog in the bounty hunter posse, and often is getting the short end of the stick. Also, the mental illness is such a fascinating subject to write and play with. I like getting into his head.

I don't really have much of a preference.

I don't really have an all-time favorite. There are many different authors that I like and I pick up bits and pieces of their work to incorporate into my own. Mainly with how they write dialogue or descriptions. For example, I enjoy how Joe Schreiber describes scenes, particularly how he uses sound. So, I've been trying to add more audio descriptors in my work, along with employ more of the reader's senses.

8. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I hope things improve with your grandma and you can get back on Wookieepedia. [:D]

If you had the option to unilaterally declare one single aspect of the EU canon again, under the knowledge that all other aspects of the EU would forever be non-canon and licensed authors would be banned from using them in subsequent works, 1) would you exercise that opportunity, and 2) if so, what would you declare to be the only part of the EU to survive?

9. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    How would you define the genre of psychodrama for those unfamiliar with the term? What are the similarities and differences between it and the fanfic genre of "angst"? (I don't mean that to be belittling at all—just asking as someone who's still shaky on the terminology and would like to get it straight.)

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Who do you consider best dressed in SW?

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    What kinds of scenes do you find easiest and hardest to write, and why? How do you get unstuck from writer's block? :)

12. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    You always have great insights to offer in our writer's thread, for which I thank-you! Is there anything you want to share about your writing in general? Like, what projects are you working on right now? Do you stick to fanfiction, for the most part, or do you dabble in original work? :)

(Asking that question became more complicated than it was in my mind. :oops: :p)

13. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Are you watching World Cup?

14. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    How's Mabel doing?

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Favorite decadent snack--cake, cookie, pie? ;)

16. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    1. Yes, and 2. the current backstories of the bounty hunters (including all retcons to keep most of Dengar's intact).

Psychodrama is a genre the deals primarily with drama surrounding the mental anguish and/or torment of characters; stories that test characters mentally; stories that could contain mindscrews; stories that pertain to psychologically-unbalanced characters, or the unraveling of characters. Also, setting can sometimes define the story's genre. If it's set in an institution, it's most likely going to be a psychodrama.

Psychothrillers are similar, but ramped up to be a thriller and may include horror elements.

Lando, because opera capes are always in fashion.

1. Easy scenes would be general transitions. They're tedious and can be annoying, but they're still easy for me to throw together. Harder scenes would be anything dealing with a character's emotional state, such as grief or shock, or any other extreme emotional reaction. I always feel that I can't do it justice, or that I'll make it hammy, so I'll sometimes take an outsider perspective and write from that, or keep it somewhat vague so that the reader can imagine the rest.

2. Wish I knew the secret. If I did, I would have stuff written. :p Music helps me, though, as does watching movies, reading books or comics, playing games, taking walks, etc. Though, the best advice I've seen was if you're stuck on something, write something else. Anything else. Put the current project on the back burner and work on something different. Then you can come back to your project with fresh eyes.

I generally stick to fanfiction, but I've cowritten some original stuff, usually as an editor or to tackle tedious transitions, smooth over clunky prose, take dictation, and revise dialogue.

My writing comes and goes in spurts, I've noticed. Over the years, I'd have periods of productivity, followed by extended periods of dead muse, which start to get a funk about them. Right now, I don't really have any projects, as the one I was working on fell apart, but it was merely an exercise anyway, so I'm not too concerned about it. I may tackle a nagging plot bunny and see what I can do with it, but right now, I'm still lingering in that dead muse phase.

Nope. I'm only very loosely following it.

Sleeping on my bed. Her fur is looking better since she's been wearing a cone to keep her from scratching at her dermatitis. Only problem now is she can't clean herself, so she's a stinky cat.

Anything chocolate. And I do mean anything. Chocolate cookies, pastries, cakes? Check. Chocolate-covered crackers and chips? Check. Chocolate-covered fortune cookies, Pocky, biscuits? Check. Chocolate-covered bacon? Check. Chocolate-covered insects? Check.

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Ditto on the chocolate :D

What is the non-humanoid SW culture that you find most interesting, and why?

18. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Agreed about the bounty hunter stories.

This is totally off the wall, but... as an artist, what would you imagine Zuckuss would look like if he were human? (Or perhaps you've even tackled this in one of your art projects?)

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Favourite non-human species and why?

20. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    I'm sorry that your current writing project fell apart on you, but I am excited for your future endeavors. [:D]

Now, the question I always seem to end up asking - Have you travelled anywhere interesting, and if not, where would you like to go if you could? :)

21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Findsman culture, mainly because it hasn't been explored in much detail, save for vague starter information in RP sources.

I've... sort of tackled this. For one project that hasn't gotten off the ground, we've envisioned a human caricature that'd be a short, stocky tawny-haired guy with a mop top, thick glasses, and being something of a germaphobe, so he has a mask on hand, or covers his face with a shirt collar, or even a scarf, depending on the weather. As the style I planned to use for the project would be an anime style, the mask wouldn't seem too out of place. Oh, and he speaks with a prominent lateral lisp.

QuickEdit: Here's an article reading I did that features my Zuckuss voice in the quotes. Yes, I like to fully-dramatize quotes.

Vornskrs. Not entirely sure why, I've just always liked them. I also sometimes call them "vornskees."

Let's see... I've been to Lucasfilm and Rancho Obi-Wan, I've been to Celebration VI and am planning to go to CVII, but we'll see how my finances hold out. I've gone to numerous conventions, and they're usually pretty interesting. Some day, I'd like to travel outside the country, go see Japan, Peru, perhaps backpack across Europe, go down to Australia, where everything is lethal to some degree.

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    If the gand appeared in the coming SW stories how would you like them to be used?

23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Are you a morning or night person?

24. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Related to Nyota's question on writer's block: what advice would you offer writers plagued by self-doubt and feelings of inadequacy—who feel that they "just don't cut it," if you will? (Other than just "snap out of it," of course. ;) )

25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Not like a moving piece of background. Give them something. Make them useful to the story. Don't just have a prop just to say "oh look, a different alien!"

Definitely a night person.

No idea. I still feel my writing sucks. Though, reading stuff that's worse helps. You'll at least be able to say, "well, I'm better than that."

Gamiel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.