Awards Fanfic Awards HELP DESK - Open for business!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Jedi Trace, Jun 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Jedi Trace SouthEast RSA

Manager
    star 6
    Welcome to the Fanfic Awards Help Desk!

[image=http://www.imeda-services.com/images/fotolia_1198261.jpg]

Here we have a volunteer group of assistants who can:

- answer basic questions
    - walk you through the process of nominations, voting, and using the template via PM
    - direct you to greater assistance if necessary

In order to keep the nominations and discussions of particular stories private, please do not say the names of actual stories in this thread. If your question is about a specific story, try to make your question neutral or PM one of the Hosts so we don't embarrass anybody by talking about them. [face_peace]

Feel free to ask your questions in this thread and one of our designated Help Desk personnel or one of the Hosts should be around shortly to help you.

If your question is of a sensitive nature or you don't want to ask it out loud, PM one of the Awards staff or a moderator and we?ll keep it private.

If you?d like to see if your question has been answered previously, here are links to the 2009 Information and FAQ thread, the 2007 Help Desk and the 2008 Help Desk.

So take a seat, get comfy, and we'll gladly help make the awards process as smooth and fun as we can for you! :D

~Help Desk Staff

*intro originally written by Luna_Nightshade & Jaya Solo with subsequent tweaks by amidalachick and Jedi Trace*
  2. p_stotts Jedi Master

star 4
    I have a question concerning rule #5. I reposted a story I completed on the Classics board, but I have revised the story and am currently posting brand new material. In other words, what was once a finished story on the Classic board is now ongoing and as yet unfinished on the Before the Saga board. Is it eligible for nomination?
  3. Jedi Trace SouthEast RSA

Manager
    star 6
    If it is a fic that you are currently re-writing and you have posted story content between June 1, 2008 and May 31, 2009, then yes, it is eligible. :)
  4. MiralukaJedi Jedi Knight

star 4
    Just a question for submitting noms. If I'm asked to break the links, what does that mean?
  5. Jedi Trace SouthEast RSA

Manager
    star 6
    Breaking links just means to use the template provided in the nomination thread:

{link=paste the url here]type or paste the title here{/link] by type or paste the author's name here

Regular links use this type of bracket ( [ ), so to break the link use this type ( { )
  6. thusspakezarathustra Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Hello....is there a list of 2008 award winners anywhere? They have a list of winners up to 2008 in the fanfic index but that's as far as it goes.
  7. KELIA Manager Emeritus

star 6
  8. moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South

star 6
    In the nomination lists it says who's qualified and who hasn't, but is there a way to find out how many nominations there are for unqualified fics?
  9. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    No, it was decided a while back, through a post-awards survey I believe, NOT to reveal how many noms a fic has.
  10. Lady_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    So I just saw that my story was nominated for Best Epic (which the rules define as a story being over 30,000 words) but mine is only about 20,000. What should I do? Should I PM the person in charge of The Saga for the awards?
  11. NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus

star 9
  12. Darth-Effie Jedi Youngling

Here is my problem: I tried to send in my nominations for The Saga today but I couldn't send the PM because I was told that I haven't posted enough times to qualify for sending PMs. I was able to send in nominations last year so I don't understand why this is happening. Do you have any idea what I can do or do I really have to post 4 more times to get the required 20 posts before I can send in nominations?
  13. NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus

star 9
    The boards went through an upgrade, so now you have to post 20 times before you can send PMs.
  14. Blue Ice Cream Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hello there. :)

Okay... I'm new to this whole process, so don't laugh.

I sent a pm to the voter registration sock, but it hasn't been read yet. Do I have to wait for confirmation before I send my nominations?
  15. Jedi Trace SouthEast RSA

Manager
    star 6
    No, you don't have to wait. You can go ahead and send in your nominations and the PM will be opened once you've been added to the registered voters list.
  16. Robimus Jedi Master

star 5
    Trace can I get some added clarification on this. I'm trying to figure out why the link needs to be broken? As well I copied the template to prepare my Beyond nominations and noticed they copied to Word with no broken links, so now I'm confused. DO i need to send in my nominations with the links "broken" or just as I copied the template?

Edit: Just to note I copied the Saga Template which does not contain the breaks, at least I thin it doesn't.
  17. Jedi Trace SouthEast RSA

Manager
    star 6
    The broken links are a courtesy for the volunteers.

The links that are submitted for nominations are the links that are copied and pasted into the nomination threads.

If you send them unbroken in the PM, the volunteer receives it like this. They then have to 1) click the link to open the story 2) copy the URL 3) reformat it with the link mark-up code for the thread 4) and then copy/paste it into the nomination thread.

If you send it broken, {link=http://boards.theforce.net/fan_fiction_resource/b10304/30115480/p1/?15]they receive it like this {/link] so that all they have to do is 1) change the bracket then 2) copy/paste it into the nomination thread.

It cuts a 4-step process down to 2 steps and when you're dealing with dozens of PMs containing dozens of links, every little bit helps.

Make sense?

EDIT: If folks really want to show the volunteers some love, only break the final bracket like this {/link]. That way, they can copy the entire PM into a Word document then Find/Replace {/link] for [/link] and fix all the broken links with one click. ;)
  18. Robimus Jedi Master

star 5
    OK, I'll make sure the links go in broken.
  19. ardavenport Jedi Master

star 4
    When will the excerpts for the awards be posted?

20. Ultima_1 Jedi Knight

star 5
    Oops, posted this in the wrong thread:

Is posting a "thanks for the nominations" message in my story thread while nominations are still in progress considered campaigning?
  21. NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Right as voting starts. Excerpt reading/voting is at the same time.
  22. KotORBF2Female_Revan Jedi Knight

star 5
    If you sent your nominations in before registering, and then registered after being told to, do you have to resend your noms?
  23. NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Nope. They shouldn't have opened the PM yet, so just send another to let them know you've registered/
  24. Ultima_1 Jedi Knight

star 5
    Nat, could you answer my question a few posts up?
  25. Jedi Trace SouthEast RSA

Manager
    star 6
    No, saying "thanks" is not considered campaigning. :)

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.