main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards Fanfic Awards HELP DESK - Open for business!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Jedi Trace, Jun 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    When submitting excerpts, do we need to include title, author and stuff like that? And if we do does that count towards our words?

2. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Yes, the title and author should be included in your excerpts and they do not count as part of the 800 word limit.

3. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Hi folks, just found out that I got nominated for Most Underrated for On Wings of Angels, and Best Collaborative for Shattered Dreams.

May I ask if I can also post along some of the paintings that I developed for those graphic novels? Such as:

[image=http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n2/AzureAngel2_2006/SW%20pictures/P3120223.jpg]

Or:

[image=http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n2/AzureAngel2_2006/SW%20pictures/P2230569.jpg]

4. GuNgAnFaN3090

GuNgAnFaN3090 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 16, 2008
    Two questions:

My story was nominated for 2 different things. Do I need 2 exerpts? Or just one since it's the same story?

Other question, Is an exerpt up to 800, or is there min.? Or does it have to be as close to 800 as you can get.

Thanks.

5. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    You can post the paintings in your story threads, but we don?t post art in the nomination thread. If it?s a graphic novel, then you can include the art in your excerpt.

You can use two different excerpts or the same one ? it?s up to you. Excerpt length maximum is 800 words. There is no minimum. The excerpt can be as long or short as you like, as long as it doesn?t exceed 800 words.

6. GuNgAnFaN3090

GuNgAnFaN3090 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 16, 2008
    Thanks a lot. I will try and get my excerpt in.

7. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    I was sent two PM's saying that I've qualified for three categories, yet two of those categories are from a story I wrote with The_Musical_Jedi, and we posted it under a sock... Musical-Wingstar. Could we submit the excerpts for those two categories under the sock?

8. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    If it's a collaboration, then yes - you can use your joint screen name.

9. Alasse_Earfalas

Alasse_Earfalas Jedi Master star 2

Mar 6, 2008
    Do I have to specify which category each excerpt is for, or can I just use both excerpts for both categories simultaneously?

10. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    You can use the same excerpt for both catagories but you will need to specify which story the exceprt is from both times.

All excperts need the title and author listed first but the title and author do not count towards the 800 word limit.

11. Alasse_Earfalas

Mar 6, 2008
    ... okay, so just to make sure I understand this right... if I have two 800-word excerpts that I want to use (that'd be a total of 1600 words max), then I can submit them both and use both of them for each of the two categories I qualified in? :confused:

Just wanna make sure I'm not breakin' da rules. :D

12. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    No, only submit one 800-word excerpt per category.

The purpose of the categories is to highlight the different elements of your story. For example:

If you had a nomination for the "humor" category, then you would submit one 800-word excerpt that you felt was the best representation of humor in your story.

Or if you had a nomination for "romance" then you would submit one 800-word excerpt that you felt was the best representation of romance in your story.

Or you can use the same 800-word excerpt for both categories if you feel that it is the best representation of your story overall.

Either way, only send in 800 words per category. Does that help? :)

13. Alasse_Earfalas

Mar 6, 2008
    YES, thank you!! [:D] [:D]

14. blank101

blank101 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 20, 2008

Okay, Newbie-central! Where exactly am I sending my excerpt? Do I send it as a reply to the notice of qualification, because that's an individual I think, but I can't find an address anywhere else on the notification or the SagaFanficAwards page! Oh, it's in the Saga section.

Also, when and where will all the excerpts be posted for us to vote on, and will there be notification somewhere?

When I send them, do I mark them as 'Excerpts' in the title header, and do I put anything in the PM other than, 'Excerpts for Saga Fanfic' ?

Thanks!:D

15. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    I'm not officially part of the Help Desk but I am an unofficial part of the Helpy Helper Desk.

Where exactly am I sending my excerpt?

In a Private Message to the sock called SagaFanficAwards. The volunteers all have access to that account, so one of them will get to it from there.

when and where will all the excerpts be posted for us to vote on

There'll be a thread here in the Resource forum, just like this one that's for the Before the Saga festivities. You'll be able to read them all, and send your votes to the very same SagaFanficAwards sock come voting time.

will there be notification somewhere?

Besides the excerpt thread appearing as a sticky thread in this here forum, there'll likely be a ticker scrolling across the Saga forum, and a link in a General Aw*rds Issues sticky thread at the top of the Saga forum.

When I send them, do I mark them as 'Excerpts' in the title header, and do I put anything in the PM other than, 'Excerpts for Saga Fanfic' ?

I think as long as the title has excerpts in there somewhere, the volunteers will know what it is. The body of the message should have
  16. the excerpts themselves, with the coding all broken (that means [ i] and [ /i] become {i] and {/i] - it's easy with Word's find/replace feature)

17. each excerpt labeled by what category it's for (i.e. "Best Epic: Dark Shadows of Legacy's Shadow: The Dirk Jaysen Chronicles by DarthExample-wan")

18. an optional author's note. This is part of the excerpt itself, and counts toward the 800 allotted words.

19. I hope that points you in the right direction!

20. blank101

blank101 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 20, 2008

Yes, many thanks! :D

21. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Face is on the case! :p

Sorry, couldn't resist. [face_laugh]

Thanks, Face.

22. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Unlocking and upping for this year's Awards. [face_peace]

23. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Hi!

I have a couple of questions regarding nominations.

1. If an OC won before, under one story, can he/she be nominated again under a different story?

2. Can the diaries, and their characters, from the ongoing Diary Challenge be nominated?

24. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Should probably ask here - can you only send one nomination per category, or is there no limit? Thanks.

25. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Yes.

Yes, as long as the character/diary has not previously won the category for which they are being nominated.

Per this thread: RULES FOR NOMMING:

1. Any story that has won in a previous awards ceremony is no longer eligible for nomination in the category(ies) it has been awarded, in this or in any future ceremonies. Please see the
    Fan Fiction Index for a complete listing of past winners.

You can only send in one nomination per category.

26. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Two quick questions.

Will I receive confirmation from Voter Resistration once I am registered?

Will I have to register again for the Beyond the saga/Non-SW portion of the awards?

27. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    - No, you will not receive a confirmation. (Your registration will be confirmed when you send in nominations/votes.)

- You only have to register once. Registration counts for all eras and you will not have to register again for future awards. We keep a running list from year to year.

28. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Just wanted to post here - I sent in my nominations but my Voter Registration PM has not been opened yet. I just want to make sure that my nominations get counted. Thank you!

29. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Me too. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.